Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brillo pad

Roymac wrote: »
    Just joined this post.
    I had a deposit paid but have now instructed that I no longer wish to proceed and have requested a refund from Coonans. They didn't make any big deal about it but I haven't been refunded yet. Refund originally requested 24th Nov. Disappointed to withdraw but regardless of what the engineer says, I would not be comfortable proceeding based on what I saw on video online and on the site the morning after the heavy rain.

Same Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danny285

Roymac what number hosue did you pull out from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roymac

A house backing on to the front row

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gto mit

Sophelia wrote: »
    I'm new to this thread. We also have a deposit down and have been trying to meet with the engineers.

We're provisionally booked in next Tuesday afternoon. Why are they not addressing everyone together?? Surely it would be more time efficient. Gto Mit when are you meeting the engineers?

The estate agents told me there were very few who had looked for meetings with the engineer. This boards clearly shows that's not the case.

Hi,

Meeting them 01-12-17
    Will let you know after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greg1981

Are u meeting them on the site or their ofiice ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

ixus wrote: »
    Why does the present pooling on levels not drain off after any rain.

Probably because it's riverine clay sitting on bedrock but i'm only guessing.

greg1981 wrote: »
    Are u meeting them on the site or their ofiice ?

Hoping to visit the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ehrconsulting

Hi Bristolscale7 - Great question by the way but i think it needs a little qualification.

Do you mean >50mm "1-day rain" ?

Many of the flood instances quoted in the CFRAM report while they referenced figures of 74mm: 87.8mm and 83mm - in each instance these were readings over a 2-day period and not 1-day rain. So averaging kicks in etc

Prospective buyers already have a base reference which the elements kindly delivered on Wed 22nd Nov by dumping 36.3mm - and we all have photographic evidence of the impact of that.

So yes, how will the planned flood management measures deal with 40/50 or even 60mm of 1-day rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danny285

If the front green is designed as a flood holding excess rain water area when the need arises, why would they have installed lights in this area? I'm sure the ESB would have major concerns here. Has to be a health and safety issue. From the pictures online it seems the water was above 2/3 foot up on these light posts.

This happened 15 years ago..any houses along the tolka were flooded..including those that have been there for over 100 years.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/over-200-people-evacuated-in-north-dublin-1.1126621

The tolka is normally circa 10ft or more below the level of the streets that flooded.

This place in Kilcock is BRAND NEW and already it was lucky not to get inundated by the first bit of heavy rain we've had.

Anybody thinking of buying there would need to be soft in the head...you can see the river from the front of the houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

............The estate agents told me there were very few who had looked for meetings with the engineer. This boards clearly shows that's not the case.

Dont believe what an estate agent ever tells you, they are selling house to you, they dont have your interests at heart, once they have your deposit, contracts signed it would be then too late, the flooded house is yours!

James 007 wrote: »
    Dont believe what an estate agent ever tells you, they are selling house to you, they dont have your interests at heart, once they have your deposit, contracts signed it would be then too late, the flooded house is yours!

Yes..and insurance *might* pay out the first time your house is flooded but like trying to insure an old banger you'll find the premiums rising and the interest in your plight falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sophelia

Hello All, I think questions should be agreed upon and sent to the estate agent and engineers prior to any meeting. Don't want them saying we will come back to you later with an answer. I think we all have the same questions re what the Co Co demanded from the developer re drainage and how these standards were met or exceeded. Still can't understand why they won't meet everybody together as otherwise they are only repeating themselves. I would take everything the estate agents say with a grain of salt until I see sign-off from an independent party. Bottom line is we will be left with the problem, not them, if a problem arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dj_bulldogg

Can somebody set up a Facebook Group for all potential residents? We can discuss privately there and formulate a plan of action as a group. I tried to set one up but I'm useless at things like that. The Admin could make sure only potential residents have access by requesting proof of deposit before accepting request.

Can somebody set up a Facebook Group for all potential residents? We can discuss privately there and formulate a plan of action as a group. I tried to set one up but I'm useless at things like that. The Admin could make sure only potential residents have access by requesting proof of deposit before accepting request.

I am in we can use personal messages option here?

Hello All, I think questions should be agreed upon and sent to the estate agent and engineers prior to any meeting. Don't want them saying we will come back to you later with an answer. I think we all have the same questions re what the Co Co demanded from the developer re drainage and how these standards were met or exceeded. Still can't understand why they won't meet everybody together as otherwise they are only repeating themselves. I would take everything the estate agents say with a grain of salt until I see sign-off from an independent party. Bottom line is we will be left with the problem, not them, if a problem arises.

The county council don't give a f@*k. They were already called. See earlier post from someone about calling them

The estate agents are spoofers.

The only thing is if you can get a clause put in to your contract from your solicitor that will protect your house.

Seriously. Somebody set up a FB page and post the link here. We can all join and talk privately about it. Power in numbers and all that jazz 👌ðŸ¼

Nothing is going to change the front green flooding constantly..and at some stage the front houses.

brillo pad wrote: »
    Nothing is going to change the front green flooding constantly..and at some stage the front houses.

Brillo, I'm in Construction, and I've a deposit on one of these houses.

I am 50/50 as things stand.

If I can get my hands on a full suite of drawings, specs and reports then I will be able to get an answer on how much rain would need to fall etc.

The point about it being a swamp at the front is also an issue.

I'm not here to try change anyone's mind, I'm here to try get a group together and discuss.
    If all you're going to say is it's pointless etc etc then just don't pay attention to my posts. I'm
    here to get a group together and tackle the issues together.
    That's what needs to happen.

Brillo, I'm in Construction, and I've a deposit on one of these houses.

I am 50/50 as things stand.

If I can get my hands on a full suite of drawings, specs and reports then I will be able to get an answer on how much rain would need to fall etc.

The point about it being a swamp at the front is also an issue.

I'm not here to try change anyone's mind, I'm here to try get a group together and discuss.
    If all you're going to say is it's pointless etc etc then just don't pay attention to my posts. I'm
    here to get a group together and tackle the issues together.
    That's what needs to happen.

Did you look at the documents on the Meath co co planning website? It's all there.

The thread is starting to repeat itself

• Advertisement

Did you look at the documents on the Meath co co planning website? It's all there.

The thread is starting to repeat itself

What's your point?
    Yes I have read extensively about this development for months.
    I have been onto the CoCo.
    I had the opinion that the front green was essentially an attenuation pond for the Rye.
    It seems to prove that was a fair and reasonable assessment.
    It also proves that, as the builder states, the measures put in place can protect against flooding. It passed that particular test first time round.
    Does this mean it can protect against 2/3 times the amount of rainfall? No, but civils drawings and specifications will give a good indication of the likelihood.
    If you have no vested interest in discussing it only to spout off an ill informed opinion then just keep it to yourself? Why keep badgering on about it? I get it, you wouldn't buy there yada yaddda...
    now let the adults who have an interest in talking about it get on with things

What's your point?
    I had the opinion that the front green was essentially an attenuation pond for the Rye.
    It also proves that, as the builder states, the measures put in place can protect against flooding. It passed that particular test first time round.
    Does this mean it can protect against 2/3 times the amount of rainfall? No, but civils drawings and specifications will give a good indication of the likelihood.
    If you have no vested interest in discussing it only to spout off an ill informed opinion then just keep it to yourself? Why keep badgering on about it? I get it, you wouldn't buy there yada yaddda...

My point is all the flood assesment docs you are on about is on that site. There are conditions of planning breached that have been mentioned already. Did you even read those documents or this thread? Why would I be even contributing or on here if I had no interest in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rocamber

The fact that the flooding was an issue after a few hours of rain has made me change my mind about buying in that estate .. Too much of a chance to take one flood and insurance companies won't touch me ..the green area in front of the estate is actually dangerous they have a walk way going through it .. one guy can be walking home after a few pints down the town and be in trouble ..
    Too many doubts will i have damp issues etc

Information statement
    23 November 2017
    Millerstown Kilcock
    McGarrell Reilly Homes

Millerstown Kilcock benefits from an extensive landscaped river park alongside the river Rye and
    close to the Grand Canal on the Maynooth Road. The site has been designed and is being
    constructed in compliance with the OPW Flood Guidelines. The works are being completed in
    accordance with planning permissions from ABP for flood management works and Section 50
    Applications with the OPW. The housing development is located outside the 1.0 % AEP Fluvial
    Event flood zone as identified in the Kilcock FRAMS. The finished floor level (FFL) of houses
    individually are 500mm higher than the predicted 0.1% AEP Fluvial Event flood level, regardless
    of their location / proximity to the river.
    The heavy rainfall event which occurred on Wednesday 22nd November was a significant event
    as categorised and reported by Met Èireann and caused flooding in the Eastern Catchment
    including Laois, Kildare, Meath, many parts of Dublin the M3 and the M4 etc. The flood event
    resulted in river levels rising along the River Rye channel through Kilcock.
    There was no flooding within the Millerstown development. All houses, estate roads and
    entrance bridge are all designed and constructed above the predicted flood levels plus an
    additional height to withstand extreme weather events. This morning water levels in the river
    levels have abated and are returning to seasonal norms.
    DBFL Consulting Engineers for McGarrell Reilly have confirmed that the flood protection
    measures operated as anticipated and allowed flooding to occur in the designated flood
    protection channel etc. All works on site have been implemented in advance of occupation of
    the houses and the engineers are certifying the works as complete to the requirements to the
    planning permissions received. The flood protection works have been validated by RPS group,
    the authors of the Kilcock FRAMS signed off by OPW, Kildare County Council and Meath County
    Council, as being consistent with their flood modelling
    Yesterdays extreme weather event has occurred as anticipated and demonstrates that the flood
    measures are in place and operating as expected.

END

Hi, where can we find this statement? I have looked for it everywhere but couldn't find any reference on Millerstown web or developers site.! Would you be able to post the link please?
    Thanks

gto mit wrote: »
    Hi, where can we find this statement? I have looked for it everywhere but couldn't find any reference on Millerstown web or developers site.! Would you be able to post the link please?
    Thanks

It was sent on by the estate agent. It's a PDF

Attached

It was sent on by the estate agent. It's a PDF

Thanks for that.
    Can you personal message me that PDF if possible please?
    Thanks

Attached

Got it thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

What's your point?

Did you ask Meath CoCo about the missing flood report that was mentioned earlier in this thread?

• Advertisement

What's your point?

My point is all the flood assesment docs you are on about is on that site. There are conditions of planning breached that have been mentioned already. Did you even read those documents or this  thread? Why would I be even contributing or on here if I had no interest in the development.
    Look, I have called the CoCo and they stated that they cannot discuss as it is up for appeal until the 7th of December and that they couldn't discuss until then. 
    I understand that they have accounted for OPW Fluvial Data and have built higher and further away from these zones. All excellent. But I want the engineer to show where the run-off  goes to, have they accounted for additional drainage capacity once all the new phases are built etc etc? 
    I also know that trickle vents in the windows need to be queried as the only means of air change in the building. I assume this is not sufficient when compared to TGD Guidelines and Air Changes per hour calcs. I want an engineer to show me the calculations.
    I also want to know why the conditions in the Planning stipulated that each dwelling was to be separated by a garden wall and this did not occur.

I have a million questions but all of these could be pooled together as a group privately and then we could approach them as a group.

I can't understand why you keep referring back to info that is there or has been discussed?

The more pertinant approach is to list 100 queries as a group of potential residents than an "each to their own approach".
    If you have an interest in this development and you can set-up a group then be proactive and set it up, post a link to here and we can all join and work together.

Advertisement