Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish fitness YouTubers

• 20-09-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

What a bunch of untalented, posh, stupid, rich, ripped, shallow, false idiots. Take this one guy, Rob Lipsett. He runs a fitness channel but, like the other Irish YouTubers with big arms, it's not about fitness. It looks that way, but really, it's about him and his cohorts visually boasting about their lives because they'd be **** if they did it verbally.

The videos start off with drone footage of Venice Beach or some f*cking place you can't afford to visit basically. Then, you see him pumping iron in Raw Gym in Sandyford, to the soundtrack of some horrible piece of music which sounds like something Daft Punk sh*t out when they were 13. And then you see him stepping into a flash car - yes, he literally records himself stepping into his car, though only because it's an expensive car and not an Opel Coursa.

Oh, and if he's doing a video with someone else, he will look touch his chin, fix his hair and give a smouldering look into the camera while the other person is speaking. I'm not even making this up. It's beyond rude to the point you genuinely wonder if it's some David Brent ting, but it's not.

He's one of four I could name. All of these mugs follow the same template basically and the real point of the videos is not to inform, but to provoke a level of envy. I know what you're thinking - "it obviously worked because you sound jealous" - but I'm not, not one bit. I am, however, quite passionate about nutrition. I am quite passionate about debunking the million and one myths about nutrition and weight loss and it hurts - like, really hurts - to see a bunch of people with a huge audience waste such a big platform by bragging about their lives when they could be informing.

But listen, they're obviously doing well for themselves both in terms of health and wealth, so one part of me says fair play, but I don't know. It's kind of worrying to me that these people are essentially role models, by virtue of their following, but I wonder if they're really just depressing people instead of inspiring them and, as I said, that's a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nice try Rob, but I'm not searching for you on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You are enduring all these vloggers gym activities for research
    purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I've noticed some Youtubers recording themselves getting into/out of their cars or recording themselves 'arriving' to locations too in the hope of subtly showing off their cars/clothes etc.
    Just says trying too hard to me but sure isn't that what most people on Youtube are doing. The ones that leave their rooms anyway.

Always have clickbait titles on their videos too trying to make out like their lives are so varied and interesting.

If it makes them feel better or makes them money then fair play I suppose.

As for lying and misinformation well that's how most people/companies make their money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Just another fancy Dan who appeals to neanderthals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Never heard of him. I didn't know there are Irish you tubers that have fitness channels.

Fitness is the 'in' thing at the moment, there's a huge increase in people who are vlogging there healthy lifestyles. The only reason their doing it is money, as long as their not giving bad advice then leave them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Always have clickbait titles on their videos too trying to make out like their lives are so varied and interesting.

Yeah. The title could be "She's Pregnant!" and the thumbnail is an image of him looking scared and worried, and then the video is about his sister being pregnant on her fourth child or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Wait Hammer! How many jambons would be considered too many?
    Being a food scientist and all. :pac:

Know of one guy who does modelling, talks about his lifestyle non stop, how he's made it, how much money he makes, how transformed he is blah blah blah. Keeps on half pulling down his pants to show a few pubes. Has a good internet following, and they lap it up, even though the poor fellow must have injected enough steroids into his arse to power a small town.

It's the gym industry, all based around self obsession and looking better. I can look around my local town and see who else is taking steroids now.

Wait Hammer! How many jambons would be considered too many?
    Being a food scientist and all. :pac:

"Yeah so, like, the thing with jambons is, like, they're 87% carbs and, like, you will turn into a fat tub of sh*tty mess if you eat, like, nine of them a day. I know a knacker who went to St Michaels who was addicted to them and he, like, got dropped from the S because he was fat enough to be, like, a prop and he was, like, an inside centre the year before."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If only youtube would develop a method for stopping videos, or unsubscribing from youtubers the world would be a better place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

We are not a good looking country. If people are trying to get you to look at something that isn't their face, I'd say g'luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Rhea Melodic Thinner

Is it a requirement for All these bloggers/v loggers etc to be irritating , attention seeking, annoying douchebags - take cia. Twomey, Rosemarie McCabe or Roz Purcell or that Kavanagh fella for example

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EMPunk

Know of one guy who does modelling, talks about his lifestyle non stop, how he's made it, how much money he makes, how transformed he is blah blah blah. Keeps on half pulling down his pants to show a few pubes. Has a good internet following, and they lap it up, even though the poor fellow must have injected enough steroids into his arse to power a small town.

It's the gym industry, all based around self obsession and looking better. I can look around my local town and see who else is taking steroids now.

Leave poor Dano out of this will ya;););)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I find the solution is to ignore them completely.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There needs to be vetting for these types. I reckon a lot of them have predatory instincts with the opposite sex. Creeps of the highest order.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    You are enduring all these vloggers gym activities for research
    purposes?

No they're just unintentionally hilarious.

02:40 - 02:50.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Jesus phucking Christ. What a ****ing dickhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

LOLOL. I randomly stumbled across that Lipsett fella a few weeks ago after watching some other equally ridiculous training video and him popping up in my suggestions.

I'm still not convinced he isn't a Ross O'Carroll Kelly style parody account ripping the piss out of posh D4 w@nkers with a hard-on for 'that Cali life bro'.

He also gives talks and presentations about how 'successful' he's been at mastering the rockstar lifestyle in a hilarious rags-to-riches style ("I was just a college dropout...and now here I am!").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

The bit I find bizarre is this whole 'watching your macros nonsense ' where they weigh and analyse every bit of food they eat before they eat it and then wash all that down with some supplement powder in water which contains God knows what or an oul energy drink.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Another gimpy sweathog who is jealous of people who are in shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Rhyme wrote: »
    We are not a good looking country. If people are trying to get you to look at something that isn't their face, I'd say g'luck.

Theres lots of good looking people in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Your Face wrote: »

Sorry to hear that, chin up I'm sure you have plenty of qualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Your Face wrote: »

Ahhh brah don't be hater bro, its just dudes with different goals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Could you try not watching them to alleviate your irritation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's depressing that anyone gives a sh!t about any of these twats.

Here's a solution:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't like it?
    Don't watch it..
    I sure as hell don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It's amazing the negative emotion this draws from so many people.

Seriously they're having a bit of craic and enjoying life in a harmless way. What of it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is the only fitness YouTuber worth watching. #Reps4Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Posted something similar to this thread a while ago. Best thing about these fake people is more people exist out there with proper knowledge and experience and don't tolerate that self obsessed crap. Lipsetts ex Sarah Godfrey is the same, leeched off his "fame" her videos are stupid nothing in them expect touching her hair every two seconds. She gives personal training programs yet openly states she has no qualifications in fitness.
    What actually interested to see is what are these people going to do when the next fad comes along?
    Biggest gripe with these people is they somehow think they are morally superior to us in the lifestyle rhetoric they spout.

These people are really the modern version of the emperors new clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If Alan Quirke was to create one more character to take the piss out of surely it has to be the YouTube gym fitness guy.

leestone wrote: »
    Posted something similar to this thread a while ago. Best thing about these fake people is more people exist out there with proper knowledge and experience and don't tolerate that self obsessed crap. Lipsetts ex Sarah Godfrey is the same, leeched off his "fame" her videos are stupid nothing in them expect touching her hair every two seconds. She gives personal training programs yet openly states she has no qualifications in fitness.
    What actually interested to see is what are these people going to do when the next fad comes along?
    Biggest gripe with these people is they somehow think they are morally superior to us in the lifestyle rhetoric they spout.

These people are really the modern version of the emperors new clothes

She's a complete idiot and not that attractive, in comparison to her own wild perception of herself.

If I'm envious of Lipsett about anything though, it's the fact that he clearly doesn't care what people think of him. It takes a lot of people a long time to reach that level of comfort within themselves, and maybe some never reach it, and he's about 25 so I have to give him credit there.

He's a douchebag, but he knows and doesn't care so, in a way, I respect him and others of that ilk for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Hammer89 wrote: »

He's a douchebag, but he knows and doesn't care so, in a way, I respect him and others of that ilk for that.

had the misfortune of watching one of lipsetts videos before.

He was a complete c0ck - he had a hard-on because Alan Aragon (noted nutrition/science guy) DESTROYED Ben Pakulski (top ranked bodybuilder science nerd and Mr olympia competitor) in a debate on nutrition.

he was basically hi-5'ing himself cos his hero Aragon defeated Pakulski in a debate.

Now what annoyed me is both these guys had achieved much more than lipsett ever had and probably ever will.....yet here he was slagging off Ben Pakluski as if he Rob Lipsett had actually achieved something himself.

c0ck
    never again. I'd rather watch 10 hours of epic sax man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The internet with the likes of Youtube; Instagram and other social media has unfortunately given a platform to any half-witted dickhead who can operate a camera, to spew their inane opinions and persona, most who are talent less twats who just know how to play the game, get the clicks, gain followers, be 'instafamous'.

I try to avoid them, otherwise my laptop ends up on the other side of the room and that's no use.

What I do have a problem however is that these some of these vloggers for example, often broadcast their message which is by no means backed by real expertise, to large numbers of often impressionable people in a massively unregulated market. The ASA needs to get with the times and monitor these new 'social media influencers' with greater scrutiny. Don't think legislation is there to properly assist them, so something our legislatures should be seriously looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

And there was me thinking macros were something on Excel :D:D

This is the guy they all aspire to be

• Advertisement

arayess wrote: »
    He was a complete c0ck - he had a hard-on because Alan Aragon (noted nutrition/science guy) DESTROYED Ben Pakulski (top ranked bodybuilder ...

And there surely any "debate" ended. A top ranked body builder is, by definition, a top ranked steroid taker, and while they may win an arm wrestle, a cabbage would beat them in debate. The fellows I know who take steroids wouldn't be able to maintain a debate with a chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

She's a complete idiot and not that attractive, in comparison to her own wild perception of herself.

Also worth noting her videos a more about her lifestyle which seems to be eating fancy burgers going on cruises getting a boob job (she refers to her as her surgery lol) yet can never answer the question of where the money to pay for this comes from?
    Add in Sian Walton who just takes selfies of her ass daily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

What I do have a problem however is that these some of these vloggers for example, often broadcast their message which is by no means backed by real expertise, to large numbers of often impressionable people in a massively unregulated market. The ASA needs to get with the times and monitor these new 'social media influencers' with greater scrutiny. Don't think legislation is there to properly assist them, so something our legislatures should be seriously looking at.

Never going to happen. The ASA can't even prevent mis information being broadcast on RTE. The future is very much "caveat emptor". These Vloggers don't "broadcast" to anyone who hasn't signed up to listen/watch them. People need to take personal responsibility and educate themselves but the problem of course is that a lot of people are lazy so instead of doing proper research they choose to believe whoever currently produces the slickest vlog or they submit to confirmation bias and choose to believe/follow/listen to whoever preaches a message which confirms their own existing prejudice/preference.

Fake news = fake vlogs. If you choose to listen to and be influenced by a charlatan that's on you and no one else. The ASA can't protect people from their own laziness/stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

leestone wrote:
    Posted something similar to this thread a while ago. Best thing about these fake people is more people exist out there with proper knowledge and experience and don't tolerate that self obsessed crap. Lipsetts ex Sarah Godfrey is the same, leeched off his "fame" her videos are stupid nothing in them expect touching her hair every two seconds. She gives personal training programs yet openly states she has no qualifications in fitness. What actually interested to see is what are these people going to do when the next fad comes along? Biggest gripe with these people is they somehow think they are morally superior to us in the lifestyle rhetoric they spout.

And her lips don't get me started on her lips. Can't stand her either way. Pure leech

And her lips don't get me started on her lips. Can't stand her either way. Pure leech

In the interests of being balanced, we should point out that she dumped him (probably for cheating, because he's such a legend) so I'm not sure she's a leech because she broke it off in spite of the fact he going places in regards to money. That's worthy of respect in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I'd never heard of Rob Lipsett or Sarah Godfrey before I came across this thread. My god they're insufferable. Who watches these videos?

I think the best cure after watching a few of Rob Lipsett's videos is to watch Clarence Kennedy snatching the equivalent weight of a young family. He isn't up his own hole in the slightest, yet has every right to be.

If I'm envious of Lipsett about anything though, it's the fact that he clearly doesn't care what people think of him. It takes a lot of people a long time to reach that level of comfort within themselves, and maybe some never reach it, and he's about 25 so I have to give him credit there.

That's part of the standard gym/personal trainer shtick.

They have to exude self confidence. If they can't even get that right, and are glum and project a bad vibe, no one will go near them. Even the guy in the local gym here in South Kerry rams social media with videos of that whole "hey guys, I'm just cycling with no shirt on, loving life...and you can be like me".

It's simply part of the routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The joys of sociallistic media!

And there surely any "debate" ended. A top ranked body builder is, by definition, a top ranked steroid taker, and while they may win an arm wrestle, a cabbage would beat them in debate. The fellows I know who take steroids wouldn't be able to maintain a debate with a chair.

I train in a bodybuilding gym ,I don't take steroids, but I know a few competitors who do.
    They range from those with degrees to those who can't debate with a chair.
    You know like normal people in society but I forgot you were the arbiter of all things. So I defer to your vast intellect.

guess we can add steroids to the extensive list of things you are all knowledgeable about.

:rolleyes:

*and well done for actually missing the point of my original post.

arayess wrote: »
    guess we can add steroids to the extensive list of things you are all knowledgeable about.

:rolleyes:

*and well done for actually missing the point of my original post.

I see you're going for the ad hominem.

As I was saying about ability to debate.

Anyway well done on staying off the steroids, no one needs 'roid rage! It's amusing to see the ones who use them go off on social media every now and again, the fellow I mentioned earlier is all "here in Spain for latest modelling shoot, life is good" while half pulling his sweatpants down to the groin...but every now and again he lurches into a rant that has everyone laughing at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'd never heard of Rob Lipsett or Sarah Godfrey before I came across this thread. My god they're insufferable. Who watches these videos?

I think the best cure after watching a few of Rob Lipsett's videos is to watch Clarence Kennedy snatching the equivalent weight of a young family. He isn't up his own hole in the slightest, yet has every right to be.

+1

I see you're going for the ad hominem.

As I was saying about ability to debate.

Anyway well done on staying off the steroids, no one needs 'roid rage! It's amusing to see the ones who use them go off on social media every now and again, the fellow I mentioned earlier is all "here in Spain for latest modelling shoot, life is good" while half pulling his sweatpants down to the groin...but every now and again he lurches into a rant that has everyone laughing at him.

ah here.
    You're comment was so off on a tangent and dismissive I could only assume likewise.

as for steroids....I may in the future.
    I'm 40 and I assume when I'm 50 I won't have the same energy for pornhub as I do now. So perhaps when feel like I'm slowing down.
    But I digress.
    personally I don't believe in 'roid rage, it's a handy target but I'm not sure it exists.

BUt I know the type you speak off but they aren't the full spectrum of folks on roids. That's all.
    It was easier when we were attacking rob lipsett, simpler times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

The cool thing about these videos is you don't have to watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

I cant stand these social media whores myself but I'm surprised at the anger and hate directed towards these people, your not forced to follow or subscribe to them, that's a choice.

I've watched a few of Robs videos as I'd heard about him on the radio when he was in Love Island a few months back, I hadnt heard of him and I wondered why people would want to watch videos of someone just doing normal daily activities or **** like their shopping.

He's a college dropout, but absolutely fair fcuks to the guy for making the most of what he's got. He's mid 20s, He's got multiple passive income streams, he's got companies sending him free stuff all the time to promote, he's pursuing his passion which is fitness, huge social media following which will lead to more income. He's messing around in Ibiza and Vegas living the life and he's hundreds of thousands of ejits buying his products and subscribing to him.

He seems happy out and is making plenty of cash, he's created a product e.g. himself and marketed it towards fools that will easily part with their time/money.

Sounds like a successful guy to me.

What were the rest of us doing at his age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

We are the worst nation of begrudgers. It is emotionally draining to be around people like the OP. Someone has a bit of success that doesn't effect their life in anyway and instead of ignoring them or just saying fair play they sit in judgement throwing vitriolic hate because generally they aren't happy in themselves or their own life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement