Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Up

Options
  • 20-09-2017 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm sick to death of seeing bare soil everywhere I go. At the entrance to estates, at the edges of green areas, these dead areas that have been sprayed by the city council with Round Up.

It doesn't look pretty and it is hazardous to wildlife and our water supplies and health.

I have some wild flower seeds that I am going to plant in these dead areas. Pictures to follow.

Feel free to do the same in your own area.

That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd suggest talking to the likes of the Tidy Towns or Residents Associations first, as they'll probably just spray the 'weeds' that you have sown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    one of my neighbours occasionally goes out to the footpath in front of the house, and sprays the weeds that have grown in the thin layer of soil that has collected at the base of the garden wall. in five years living there, i've yet to see the penny drop with him, and him go out and sweep up the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DinkyDinosaur

I'd suggest talking to the likes of the Tidy Towns or Residents Associations first, as they'll probably just spray the 'weeds' that you have sown.

Good point. Will do! I was thinking of doing up signs educating people to the lunacy of Round Up, but talking to the Residents Associations should be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DinkyDinosaur

one of my neighbours occasionally goes out to the footpath in front of the house, and sprays the weeds that have grown in the thin layer of soil that has collected at the base of the garden wall. in five years living there, i've yet to see the penny drop with him, and him go out and sweep up the soil.

Ha ha logic cries.

A beautiful poppy flower grew in the crack in my driveway this year. I was watching my next door neighbour spraying the footpath outside a few months back. When he was finished spraying the footpath, he paused at my poppy flower, contemplated spraying it but thought better of it. Lucky for him. I would have been a very disgruntled neighbour if he killed it. It grew better in that crack than the other poppies I planted in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

brilliant saying never heard that one before :) must keep note of it

btw - on the subject of roundup i sprayed my driveway 7 days ago and no visible results as yet :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

fryup wrote: »
    brilliant saying never heard that one before :) must keep note of it

btw - on the subject of roundup i sprayed my driveway 7 days ago and no visible results as yet :confused:

That's normal. You don't want the weed dying before the chemical has had time to translocate to the roots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is roundup any good for moss thats on paving ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

philstar wrote: »

Not in the slightest. Get a proprietary moss killer for hard surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

just spread some cheap washing powder on it.. kills it perfectly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^

really? straight from the packet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I can second the washing powder, must be biological though, I bought L**l cheapy brand and used on tarmac, worked brilliantly. Bit slippy when it rained but smelled lovely :) Cleared all the moss off then easily when it went brown. Sprinkle it dry like snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

phormium wrote: »
    I can second the washing powder, must be biological though, I bought L**l cheapy brand and used on tarmac, worked brilliantly. Bit slippy when it rained but smelled lovely :) Cleared all the moss off then easily when it went brown. Sprinkle it dry like snow.

Would you recommend to put in down when the area is damp so it sticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

^^^^^^^^^^^^

really? straight from the packet?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if washing powder is good for killing moss...what its doing to our skin? :confused: kinda worrying don't you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

if washing powder is good for killing moss...what its doing to our skin? :confused: kinda worrying don't you think

Strangely enough half of the Round Up is glyphosate the other half is mostly a form of washing powder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i don't have moss growing on my skin?

Advertisement