Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Dundalk, Muirhevnamor. What is the area like?

Options
  • 20-09-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Heya. I currently don't live in Ireland at the moment but I am hoping to move in with my bf soon out of England. I decided to look up Dundalk and how it generally is and I thought it looked great until I saw some people mention how dangerous Muirhevnamor is. What exactly is dangerous about it so I know what to avoid and how to stay safe?
    Thank you so much! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Moved from AH to the Louth forum.

Please pay attention to the local charter before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It's a big area.. some streets are the pits, others aren't so bad. You'll need to be more specific.
    There are nicer places all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Tenigate wrote: »
    It's a big area.. some streets are the pits, others aren't so bad. You'll need to be more specific.

Pretty much my opinion too - it's too big to generalise, you'd need to be more specific on the location.

I'm not from Dundalk myself but not too far away, although I did attend college in Dundalk. I found the estate to be fine in most places but there are definitely areas that are a bit dodgier than others.

It has a bad reputation dating back many years but I think it's unfair to tar the whole estate with that.

Around 50% of the time I've passed through it in the last 6 months at lunchtime I've seen the Gardai with someone pinned to the ground. Make of that what you will. :pac:

Rent is barely more elsewhere in town, be mad to move to Muirhevanamor unless it was highly subsidised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm sure there are some decent parts of it but personally, being born and bred in Dundalk, I'd look at other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DinkyDinosaur

I have a friend who's from there and some of the stories she's told me would make me want to avoid the place. She's lovely though, so it can't be all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MossPicker1

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Ah! My apologies!

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Ah! My apologies!

Tenigate wrote: »
    He lives around the Muirhevnamor Park, right near the N52 if that is any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The bus gets stuff chucked at it from time to time going through there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Lived there for a few months back in the 90's. Had a gun pulled on me, good times.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The bus gets stuff chucked at it from time to time going through there.

No it dosn't.Dont make stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I find with most areas in Ireland if you look for trouble you will find it. Same with Drogheda there are housing estates with a bad rep but pretty much anyone you know that lives there are the nicest in the world and theyd never move out. Go and have a look at the house. if either side of it are boarded up then stay away. If your neighbours are elderly or there a long time then you can take it that its fine

I'll put it like this. Of my family who've lived in Muirhevanamor all but one household left at the first opportunity, one of them leaving a house worth more than was left on the mortgage. The one that's still there would leave tomorrow if they could.
    Yeah there's nice people and all the rest. But I would move back in with my parents or sleep on someone's sofa before moving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

When I went to college in Dundalk nearly 20 years ago it was nicknamed "Little Belfast" but like a lot of areas across the country time has possibly had an impact and it could have improved!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Take a look at the last name on this list http://www.independent.ie/news/irelands-estates-from-hell-30765834.html

Some nice people there alright but the place is the pits. Full of drugs and crime. The Gardaí are down every day of the week and there's constantly houses getting raided. I've been jumped numerous times by people from Muirhevnamor

Advertisement