Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Application, Deposit and HTB Query

Options
  • 20-09-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Just wondering what the situation is with the following situation:

First time buyer, combined salary could qualify us for a mortgage up to €400k (according to the Gross Salary x 3.5 rule etc)

Deposit saved: €25k + a couple of grand for associated fees

Going by our saved deposit we would get a max loan of €225k from the bank.

However if we were buying a €400k house through the help to buy scheme we would only need 5% deposit i. e. €20k.

I am wondering how the process would work in terms of mortgage application. Do you have to apply for the help to buy grand from Revenue first and then apply for the mortgage with a bank?
    As banks are only allowing up to 90% mortgages would you still need the €40k I. e. 10%?

Can anybody elaborate please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

HTB only applies to New builds and only if the builder qualifies for it (which almost all of them do).

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Apply for the HTB first and then bring your approval figure with you to the bank for your mortgage appointment.

You will need at least 40k deposit to buy a 400k house. This deposit can be made up from your savings and the HTB money, but the HTB money can not make up more than 5% of the total purchase price or 20k, whatever is lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

awec wrote: »
    Apply for the HTB first and then bring your approval figure with you to the bank for your mortgage appointment.

You will need at least 40k deposit to buy a 400k house. This deposit can be made up from your savings and the HTB money, but the HTB money can not make up more than 5% of the total purchase price or 20k, whatever is lower.

Thanks. Sound advice. We will apply for the HTB first.
    Do you know how long it takes to get Revenue approval once all documents are in order (12a, P21 etc)?

Cheers.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

MSVforever wrote: »
    Thanks. Sound advice. We will apply for the HTB first.
    Do you know how long it takes to get Revenue approval once all documents are in order (12a, P21 etc)?

Cheers.

Once everything is in order it's pretty much instant.

Getting everything in order is the slow bit in my experience. :)

awec wrote: »
    Once everything is in order it's pretty much instant.

Getting everything in order is the slow bit in my experience. :)

Sound. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SapHead

My application is “Under Review “ last week or so, how long does that usually take? Had some issue with having members being added and too 12 yes 12 weeks to get it sorted via the “My Enquiries” section and don’t want to be waiting another 4-6 weeks on a reply.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

SapHead wrote: »
    My application is “Under Review “ last week or so, how long does that usually take? Had some issue with having members being added and too 12 yes 12 weeks to get it sorted via the “My Enquiries” section and don’t want to be waiting another 4-6 weeks on a reply.

Thanks.

My application was under review for about 2 weeks. I got fed up waiting so rang them and they approved it straight away. She couldn't tell me why it was stuck on under review. Might be worth a phonecall.

Give Revenue a call. You might get sorted there and then (well at least you will find out what the issue is).

Advertisement