Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 56 too old to go into IT security with forensics??

Options
  • 20-09-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hello there ,
    i just want to ask your advice on this course??
    i am thinking about applying for the degree in computer security and digital forensics at lyit (letterkenny I.T. )

the thing is i am 56 now and would be 60 by the time i finish
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol
    i have worked in security but not in the IT sector.just retail. store detective etc

my question is? am i too old to enter the IT security computing profession? is it too late?
    any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

SHOULD i do a fetac level 5 course first? but in which discipline? software development or computer systems and networks. (both level 5 courses are available at my local PLC college)

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?

lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

foggyn wrote: »
    the thing is i am 56 now and would be 60 by the time i finish
    How old will you be in 4 years if you don't do the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

How old will you be in 4 years if you don't do the course?

very true rather be happy in the fact i did something rather than having nothing but regret

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

You're not too old and it's not too late

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Hi there,

I started a four year degree last year ... at the age of 57.

No, you're not too old.

Btw, there are several people older than me doing similar degrees.

Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Never too old. If your interested in it, do it :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I am 51 and graduated last month with a distinction in web technology and design, you are never too old to learn

Go for it, I am now back on very wobbly feet as self employed but they are my own 2 wobbly feet, our generation I think are the best for IT, we started with a box with 2 arms to play tennis on, saw the beginning of videos, had cbs radio, then mobile phones, dial up and windows 98, then so called wifi with your granny on a chair while we sellotaped clear wire to the best reception on the window.

We have adapted to everything and now use smart phones and social media with ease, probably the biggest tech learning curve ever so there is no reason why you can not get a job at the end of it, you have life skills plus tech skills

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LittleNicky86

I was going to say the same thing as celtictiger :)

Seriously though the next 4 years will happen whether you are in uni or not and it will go so fast. In 4 years time you will think "i could have graduated now"

Advertisement