Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Winter Gloves

Options
  • 20-09-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Any recommendations for good waterproof winter gloves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Torres09 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for good waterproof winter gloves?

no glove will ever be waterproof as they all have a hole at the top! :P
    but galibier.cc do some good gloves for cold weather (barrier, tempest)
    go neoprene (castelli divulio) for mild (9 deg+) and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Good warm gloves for the windy/cold days but keep a couple of pairs of disposable surgical gloves in your saddle bag to wear under your main gloves for when it gets wet too. Has always got me through the worst of commutes and wet/wild sportives/audax. Your only issue will be getting the gloves dry for the next day but again, surgical gloves underneath will help you. I have a few pairs of the same sealskinz ultra grip gloves and can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Top tip. In Winter ALWAYS bring a spare pair of gloves.

If your commuting, leave a pair in work so you always have a dry pair for your cycle home.

If your out for a long spin, don't wait until your gloves are soaked before changing. Change them before your hands get too cold.

A pair of laytex gloves are also a good idea as an emergency pair if you have to wear a wet pair of gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I did some tests with latex gloves and found they made no difference, maybe even made the cold worse.

The test was to wear a latex glove under the left glove and nothing under the right one, and compare at the end of my commute. And then swap round for the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Lumen wrote: »
    I did some tests with latex gloves and found they made no difference, maybe even made the cold worse.

The test was to wear a latex glove under the left glove and nothing under the right one, and compare at the end of my commute. And then swap round for the return journey.

I found about the same. Didn't keep me any warmer, but I found was that it was easier to get a wet glove back on if you had a latex glove on first. I just keep a dry set for the commute home now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lumen wrote: »

I found about the same. Didn't keep me any warmer, but I found was that it was easier to get a wet glove back on if you had a latex glove on first. I just keep a dry set for the commute home now.
    I know this latex glove debate is a regular here and I would be one who thinks that they makes a big difference. I don't think I would have survived some 300k wet audax rides without them.

Now I know I'm going to sound really pedantic now but I only noticed recently that the gloves I use and would generally refer to as 'latex gloves' are described on the box as 'non latex'. So from now on, I'll have to refer/promote them as 'surgical' or 'examination' gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I recommend getting some glove liners. They help too.

I've never tried the latex glove trick, but I wonder if you put them on over glove liners if that would help keep your hands warmer in the wet, since then they wouldn't be touching the cold waterproof membrane.

Advertisement