Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, I'm moving to cork

Options
  • 20-09-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Moving to cork in the next month!

Where to live ?? early thirties married couple, better half doesnt drive, she will likely work in CUH or a pharma company.

Best reasonable enough priced spots with transport links.

I'll be working out at the airport!

I know there are other threads, but it's a minefield.

Much appreciated, and obviously if anyone has any leads on a place, hit me up on the PM!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Will you be driving,? The airport transfer links are awful if you don't live in the city or drive.
    Bishopstown, Wilton or Glasheen would be best for CUH,
    Places for not driving and working in a pharma would all depend on where the pharma company is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If she doesn't drive and will be working in a pharma company id highly recommend she get her license pronto. The public transport links out to Ringaskiddy and beyond aren't great.

Public transport in Cork is shocking unless you're commuting to the city centre or live in the city centre and are commuting outbound.

Its a tough question to answer as you're essentially asking "Where should I live thats close to work but i don't know where I work yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 14 diddlyeye

Hogzy wrote: »
    If she doesn't drive and will be working in a pharma company id highly recommend she get her license pronto. The public transport links out to Ringaskiddy and beyond aren't great.

Public transport in Cork is shocking unless you're commuting to the city centre or live in the city centre and are commuting outbound.

Its a tough question to answer as you're essentially asking "Where should I live thats close to work but i don't know where I work yet".

Totally accurate assessment really, i'll be driving, so i guess i just don't want her to be isolated until she gets a job getting the licence might be the answer, but the hoops they put you through dont help matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 diddlyeye

.red. wrote: »
    Will you be driving,? The airport transfer links are awful if you don't live in the city or drive.
    Bishopstown, Wilton or Glasheen would be best for CUH,
    Places for not driving and working in a pharma would all depend on where the pharma company is.

I'll be driving, so at least i could drop her to work short term, i'll be in the airport tech park, ideally looking to be close to the city centre (reasonable walk), but not in the thick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

another big pharma in Brinny , between Kinsale and Innishannon.
    Bishopstown might suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

If you are in airport and o.h. ends up in ringaskiddy ,carrigaline would be your best bet. Short drive for you and o.h. may be able to find a lift..Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

If you can afford it Douglas , liveliest suburb in cork

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

goochy wrote: »

216 bus would bring you from Douglas to the CUH too. I couldnt imagine it being worth it though. Live in a pricey area to spend most your time on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Cork is great! Douglas is safe enough, but it's not exactly exciting or unique. Pretty dull imo and desperately suburban; it's for people who are afraid of urban living. Carrigaline is for people who can't afford to live in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

goochy wrote: »

High rent, awful traffic but a world class selection of fast food!
    Douglas isn't for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Really depends on where she will be working but personally I find Douglas is a great little village, lots of shops restaurants and bars. Traffic can be heavy at peak times but that is to be expected.

Also places like Ballinlough or Turners cross which while they are lacking shops etc are walking distance to town (and thus handy to go somewhere by bus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

kingtut wrote: »
    Really depends on where she will be working but personally I find Douglas is a great little village, lots of shops restaurants and bars. Traffic can be heavy at peak times but that is to be expected.

Douglas is great, you dont even need Deliveroo in Douglas
    Stick your arm out your sitting room window, and you can reach into at least 4 takeaways.
    One of which might even be KCs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hope you got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mire wrote: »
    Carrigaline is for people who can't afford to live in Douglas.

crikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

mire wrote: »
    Cork is great! Douglas is safe enough, but it's not exactly exciting or unique. Pretty dull imo and desperately suburban; it's for people who are afraid of urban living. Carrigaline is for people who can't afford to live in Douglas.

My aunt bought in Carrigaline in 1981, long before Douglas was what it is today.

She'd disagree with that.

Advertisement