Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value?

Options
  • 20-09-2017 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking at a desktop (no monitor) on ebay.

The specs are

Intel core i5 2300
    12gb DDR3 Ram
    500GB HDD

Price: €130

Is this good value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Hi I'm looking at a desktop (no monitor) on ebay.

The specs are

Intel core i5 2300
    12gb DDR3 Ram
    500GB HDD

Price: €130

Is this good value?
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

tech wrote: »
    Yes

What would performance be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For what?

General browsing and stuff would be sound, it would probably be a little slow for development but still okay.

Editing or gaming would be a no imo

For what?

General browsing and stuff would be sound, it would probably be a little slow for development but still okay.

Editing or gaming would be a no imo

It would be a development machine.

Would need to run Atom well, and cloud ide cloud9. Also would need to stream Udemy courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Past my area of knowledge then so, I'm basing it off our college machines which are i5 2400

Tbh, I'd say it'll be sound, especially at €130 odd.

If you find it too slow, an i7 3770 would set you back another €100 or so and would definitely cover you. Not sure how cost effective that is though, but €250 for an i7 machine with 12gb RAM sounds good to me.

• Advertisement

Cheers. I can always sell if it doesn't suit my needs.

I'm not much of a hardware person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good price and still a decent performer. Editing would be fine and even gaming would be perfectly fine in 90%+ of titles with a capable card.

The i7-3770 may not work, some of those machines are Q67 chipset (I think that's the one) which do not support Ivybridge. But worst case scenario you could definitely upgrade it to an i7-2600 which is still a reasonably good CPU.

Ram's also limited to 1333mhz which may or may not influence certain tasks, broadly speaking it wouldn't be too much of an issue though.

Advertisement