Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Both games off. Not surprised. Weather has been crazy up this side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Total shambles, all reports indicated that there was more snow come, game should have been called at 9am.

Looks like the Sigerson lads will get the rest anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Jesus that's a total shambles to announce game goes ahead and then pull it 2 hours later! I'd imagine many fans took it game was on and left or continued their journey's after hearing the 9am announcement. Much as with the Gaeltacht v Moy game situation a few weeks ago, very inconsiderate to the hardcore supporters who were travelling.

If it goes ahead next week (which it probably will) then it messes up the planned schedule for everyone..but at least the UCD lads can focus on Sigerson now as should have happened anyway!

Jesus that's a total shambles to announce game goes ahead and then pull it 2 hours later! I'd imagine many fans took it game was on and left or continued their journey's after hearing the 9am announcement. Much as with the Gaeltacht v Moy game situation a few weeks ago, very inconsiderate to the hardcore supporters who were travelling.

If it goes ahead next week (which it probably will) then it messes up the planned schedule for everyone..but at least the UCD lads can focus on Sigerson now as should have happened anyway!
    Don't forget about Ronan Shanahan with DIT as well.

Looking at a few of the NUIG lads playing with Galway, they'll have their work cut out for them on Wednesday in Portlaoise though.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Don't forget about Ronan Shanahan with DIT as well.

Looking at a few of the NUIG lads playing with Galway, they'll have their work cut out for them on Wednesday in Portlaoise though.

You're right, forgot about Shanahan. Saw NUIG play UCC, they were decent but UCC were a shambles. Just on paper DIT look decent but Brian Howard not playing with them is a blow.

Winners of UCD v Jordanstown game would be fancied. That'll be a good game. Down for Inniskeen ironically enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Good win for Glenflesk today!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

The cult of the intercounty manager spreads itself into Kerry LGFA with the removal of the minor management team a week before the start of the season

Shane Murphy
    Dr. Crokes
    Shane Enright
    Tarbert
    Jason Foley
    Ballydonoghue
    Ronan Shanahan
    Austin Stacks
    Paul Murphy
    Rathmore
    Andrew Barry
    Na Gaeil
    Brian Ó Beaglaíoch
    An Ghaeltacht
    Jack Barry
    Na Gaeil
    Barry O’Sullivan
    Dingle
    Micheál Burns
    Dr. Crokes
    Dáithí Casey
    Dr Crokes
    Stephen O’Brien
    Kenmare
    Jack Savage
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Paul Geaney
    Dingle
    Barry John Keane
    Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid

Brian Kelly
    Killarney Legion
    Brendan O’Sullivan
    Valentia
    Matthew Flaherty
    Dingle
    Éanna Ó Conchúir
    An Ghaeltacht
    Cormac Coffey
    Kerins O’Rahillys
    Killian Spillane
    Templenoe
    Brian Ó Seanacháin
    Ballydonoghue
    Peter Crowley
    Laune Rangers
    Mikey Geaney
    Dingle
    Tom O’Sullivan
    Dingle
    Adrian Spillane
    Templenoe

Dummy team named with, Barry O'Sullivan, Jack Barry, Brian O'Seannachain, Matthew O'Flaithearta and Cormac Coffey all involved in Sigerson/Trench cup action the day before.

Dummy team named with, Barry O'Sullivan, Jack Barry, Brian O'Seannachain, Matthew O'Flaithearta and Cormac Coffey all involved in Sigerson/Trench cup action the day before.

Dummy team? You never know with Fitzmaurice. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if he made them play. He rarely names dummy teams.

Dummy team? You never know with Fitzmaurice. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if he made them play. He rarely names dummy teams.

If they play then I'll join the anti-Fitzmaurice bandwagon.

2 games in less than 24 hours is crazy.

It's only the league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Kerry Senior Hurling Team to play Kildare in Round 3 of the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday 18th February, 2018 at 2pm in Newbridge is:

Pádraig Boyle is the Captain.

Martin Stackpoole
    Lixnaw
    John Buckley
    Lixnaw
    Bryan Murphy
    Causeway
    Sean Weir
    Crotta O’Neills
    Tomás O’Connor
    Crotta O’Neills
    Mikey Boyle
    Ballyduff
    Daniel Collins
    Kilmoyley
    Brandon Barrett
    Causeway
    Dáithí Griffin
    St. Brendans Ardfert
    Brendan O’Leary
    Abbeydorney
    Shane Nolan
    Crotta O’Neills
    Daniel O’Carroll
    Ballyduff
    Padraig Boyle
    Ballyduff
    Shane Conway
    Lixnaw
    Maurice O’Connor
    Kilmoyley

Fir Ionaid:

Stephen Murphy
    Causeway
    Fionán Horgan
    St. Brendans Ardfert
    Jordan Conway
    Crotta O’Neills
    Colum Harty
    Causeway
    Paudie O’Connor
    Kilmoyley
    Jack Goulding
    Ballyduff
    Philip Lucid
    Ballyheigue
    Barry O’Mahony
    Crotta O’Neills
    Paudie Quille
    Crotta O’Neills
    Evan Murphy
    Causeway
    Darren Dineen
    St. Brendans Ardfert

DDC1990 wrote:
    2 games in less than 24 hours is crazy.

Kieran Molloy just came on for NUIG a game and a half in less than 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It’s the same team as last week by the looks of it, probably because they’ll use last weeks programme rather than print new ones. No chance those college lads will be made play. Brendan O’Sullivan and A.N Other in midfield. Hopefully Casey and Barry start and take their chance.

Good weekend for the Kerry lads playing Sigerson/Trench Cup with UCD and Mary I winning.

Now give them a fecking rest! :D

Jack Barry, Barry O'Sullivan, Brian O'Seannachain and Tom Leo O'Sullivan for UCD (Tom Leo didn't play today AFAIK)
    Matthew Flaherty and Cormac Coffey for Mary I (plus 5 other Kerry club players on the team).

Wet day in Monaghan. Another good test for the young lads.

Poor first half cost us. Great fightback and Monaghan were there for the taking but a draw would have been tough on Monaghan.

Cormac Reilly a disaster for both sides. Awful incosistant.

Brendan O'Sullivan awful poor. Jack Savage had a poor game. Andrew Barry had a difficult game.

Seanie Shea and Burns were very good. Clifford came on and caused trouble. Wrong option a couple of times but physically well able. Got a punch in the gut which saw his marker sent off.

Eanna O'Connor made a huge difference in midfield when he came on. Big prospect for the future.

Needed a bit more from the more experienced heads up front when the game got tight. Some poor decisions.

Murphy and Begley decent again. S. O'Brien did an immense amount of running and was really dangerous.

Big mistake from Fitzmaurice not to start Daithí Casey IMO. Our attacks in the first half were very slow.

Will rue missed goal chance for Geaney and idiotic frees given away for pushing in the back etc.

Shane Murphy was very poor from kickouts. Gave Monaghan some very easy chances straight from kickouts. I wonder if its time to go back to Kelly. Nothing he could do for the penalty though.

Very difficult conditions to play in. Extremely wet and heavy. Took us till the second half to cop on really.

Enjoyable game but I feel like we wont be in the mix for a League Final by the end of the Dublin match.

I'd expect Galway and Dublin to have too much for us.

Really impressed with the work rate from Sean O Shea through-out. He was the one big positive for me today.

Monaghan's 4th point looked clearly wide as well. Not sure what it looked like on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Monaghan's 4th point looked clearly wide as well. Not sure what it looked like on TV.

Looked well wide on TV also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Monaghan clearly wanted to take Geaney's threat away by engaging him in constant verbals and handbags (pushing etc.) off the ball and in fairness Geaney seemed to step up to it and give it back like he was proud to do so, without realising, it seemed, that it was exactly what Monaghan wanted him to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

At first glance it looked wide but I think it was a curler.

Key thing for me is that there are younger lads clearly turning in performances of the the sort that says they want to be involved come the summer. Also some (just some) of the mistakes being made by the newer lads are the type I would put in the category of learning mistakes - lads doing things you would get away with in club matches but you don't at intercounty level - you'd imagine that they will learn from these.

The missing list today was as follows by my reckoning

1 Tadhg Morley
    2 Fionn Fitzgerald
    3 Mark Griffin
    4 Kevin McCarthy
    5 Darran O'Sullivan
    6 Gavin White
    7 Anthony Maher
    8 David Moran
    9 Johnny Buckley
    10 Donnchadh Walsh
    11 Kieran Donaghy
    12 James O'Donoghue

Played 3rd level finals yesterday.
    13 Jack Barry
    14 Barry O’Sullivan
    15 Brian Ó Seanacháin
    16 Matthew Flaherty
    17 Cormac Coffey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Bit of trouble in the Kerry Ladies Football camp with the chairperson and secretary resigning

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/kerry-lgfa-chairman-and-secretary-resign-after-management-controversy-828673.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

mystic86 wrote:
    Monaghan clearly wanted to take Geaney's threat away by engaging him in constant verbals and handbags (pushing etc.) off the ball and in fairness Geaney seemed to step up to it and give it back like he was proud to do so, without realising, it seemed, that it was exactly what Monaghan wanted him to do.

No better team than Monaghan to get under your skin.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Key thing for me is that there are younger lads clearly turning in performances of the the sort that says they want to be involved come the summer. Also some (just some) of the mistakes being made by the newer lads are the type I would put in the category of learning mistakes - lads doing things you would get away with in club matches but you don't at intercounty level - you'd imagine that they will learn from these.

1 Tadhg Morley
    2 Fionn Fitzgerald
    3 Mark Griffin
    4 Kevin McCarthy
    5 Darran O'Sullivan
    6 Gavin White
    7 Anthony Maher
    8 David Moran
    9 Johnny Buckley
    10 Donnchadh Walsh
    11 Kieran Donaghy
    12 James O'Donoghue

13 Jack Barry
    14 Barry O’Sullivan
    15 Brian Ó Seanacháin
    16 Matthew Flaherty
    17 Cormac Coffey

Of the players you mentioned above I think: Morley, Griffin, Darran, Gavin White, Dave Moran, Johnny Buckley, Jameso, Jack Barry are players that will seriously push for starting positions. Can't write off Donnacha and Donaghy either but to be honest, I'd be slightly worried if they were both regular starters this year.

I think, despite my distrust of Fitzmaurices judgement there is a lot to be hopeful about IF injuries and fitness don't impinge on the squad. (As an aside, I see Tim Murphy the Chairman on the line wearing an earpiece today - what the hell is going on there?!)

Not just on the game in Monaghan, but having seen them play a lot I would think that Jason Foley, Brian Begley, Micheál Burns, Seán O'Shea, David Clifford, Eanna O'Conchúir, Daithi Casey could all make meaningful contributions this year. There are others like Barry Dan, Killian Spillane, Shane Murphy (poor day today but has never been under this pressure before, will see how he reacts) and a few others who don't convince me right now but could prove themselves in time.
    No point throwing up speculative teams now, but if Fitzmaurice doesn't lose the plot and go back to starting players who we know aren't up to it, then there could be a fresh looking Kerry team taking the field yet this year.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

1 Tadhg Morley
    2 Fionn Fitzgerald
    3 Mark Griffin
    4 Kevin McCarthy
    5 Darran O'Sullivan
    6 Gavin White
    7 Anthony Maher
    8 David Moran
    9 Johnny Buckley
    10 Donnchadh Walsh
    11 Kieran Donaghy
    12 James O'Donoghue

13 Jack Barry
    14 Barry O’Sullivan
    15 Brian Ó Seanacháin
    16 Matthew Flaherty
    17 Cormac Coffey

Think Gavin Crowley will have a big year, missing as well yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Decent performance considering the lack of midfield options,Good to see this thread busy again prefer it to the "monitored" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

No point throwing up speculative teams now, but if Fitzmaurice doesn't lose the plot and go back to starting players who we know aren't up to it, then there could be a fresh looking Kerry team taking the field yet this year.

Enter Mikey Geaney, stage right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No better team than Monaghan to get under your skin.

Any championship I've seen involving Monaghan has featured Conor McManus being double marked, constantly fouled, niggled, and the QF last year an opposition player face down on the ground until the ref gave him a yellow card for really nothing at all; nothing about it in the papers the next day, unlike the penalty yesterday. They have one outstanding player and he's probably been fouled more than any other player in the country in the past five years. Bit much complaining when they do the same back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Where did I complain?

• Advertisement

Having been at the match there was very little niggle to be fair to both sides.

A few shoulders after scores (Clifford on Kerr) or after winning frees (Wylie on Geaney) but played in really good spirit.

The red card was for Kerr lashing out at Clifford into the stomach. Clifford was standing in front of him blocking him from running short for the kickout. Kerry forwards had been holding their men to stop the short kickout. Kerr just punched Clifford in the gut. Really wasn't anything dangerous or nasty. Seen plenty of our lads do the same and see the line.

I've seen a dirty side to Monaghan before. Even last year in Killarney there was awful shenanigans. But this year I'd have no complaints.

Ref was all over the shop though. Mad for pick ups off the ground (one on O'Brien was a good 30cm off the ground - but the Enright one was correct.). Didn't mind 3 players practically sitting on a player in posession (happened both sides). Barry John was shouldered in the chest and got no free. Then in the second half he broke through a tackle, kicked wide and got a free for nothing.

Wouldn't argue with the penalty. Murphy got the ball but also took the ankles out. Penalty for me. However the opposite call was made on James O'Donoghue vs Kildare in the quarter final a few years back. Goalkeeper slapped the ball, took James out but it was called play on.

Advertisement