Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Rosita wrote: »
    It needs to be an argument because some people maintain that in the case of one David the mistakes matter and in the case of the other it doesn't. I don't understand that given that David the younger has two All Star awards in the past two years. Big rewards bring big expectations and big scrutiny.

Clifford's main "mistakes" were a few slightly inaccurate shots and 1 decision not to take a mark, which I don't consider that much of an error. We need a Clifford who backs himself 100%.
    Moran's mistakes were decision errors. At really important moments in the game, when not under pressure. He didn't have proper respect for the importance of keeping possession.
    All the mistakes "matter". It was a close game after all. Which mistakes will be repeated is the most important thing. Accuracy will probably be better in the future, especially when the conditions are dry. It's, however, nearly a certainty that Moran will continue to have moments of stupidity in most big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Doesn’t every player have moments of stupidity in every game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Not Kerry players, not in football.

Especially not against Cork, and even more especially not in the championship.

Just ask Pat Spillane.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

It needs to be an argument because some people maintain that in the case of one David the mistakes matter and in the case of the other it doesn't. I don't understand that given that David the younger has two All Star awards in the past two years. Big rewards bring big expectations and big scrutiny.

Its already been mentioned that Moran has made these mistakes consistently for years. There is no argument. Clifford missed a few handy kicks, probably (hopefully) wont happen again too often. And if he is still there when hes 32 making the same mistakes and missing handy kicks consistently then he will be correctly spoken about the same way as Moran is being discussed now.

Not sure I can simplify it any more for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

True, maybe it's just Moran's moments, where he balloons the ball as far as he can kick it, stand out more than someone who runs into a cul-de-sac, for example. Both aren't being careful enough of possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Reading in the Kerry's Eye online that Peter Keane had a fall on Carrauntoohil yesterday and dislocated his shoulder.

Awful few days for the man. Hope he has a quick recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

WTF was he doing up a mountain yesterday and the ****ty weather we are having and the hospitals full and I thought you were only supposed to exercise 5 km from your home. I like hill walking myself but I leave carrauntoohill for the summer. He has made some really bad decisions in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Rosita

Raoul Duke wrote: »

Clifford's main "mistakes" were a few slightly inaccurate shots and 1 decision not to take a mark, which I don't consider that much of an error. We need a Clifford who backs himself 100%.

Backing yourself 100% is one of those things that sounds great but is dubious. Is a mistake okay because you "backed yourself"? And we are not talking about a huge decision when you get a free twenty yards out. I am not expecting him to pass it to someone. It's a simply matter of execution. And if he misses a relatively easy chance it should be acknowledged. And yes in a close game they are significant errors. I don't think it's fair that one player should have his career assassinated while another who mistakes, if avoided, could have won the game for Kerry hardly merits mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Rosita

dobman88 wrote: »

Not sure I can simplify it any more for you.

It's not a question of simplification. It's a very simple argument. That's the problem with it.

It's not a question of simplification. It's a very simple argument. That's the problem with it.

You're the only one arguing the point tho. Nobody has disagreed with you on Clifford. He had a shocker.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Clifford he was only inches away from glory. If that goal shot went in they would be still talking about it today. Was it the great p o se that said your only inches away from a pat on the back and a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

kerryjack wrote: »
    WTF was he doing up a mountain yesterday and the ****ty weather we are having and the hospitals full and I thought you were only supposed to exercise 5 km from your home. I like hill walking myself but I leave carrauntoohill for the summer. He has made some really bad decisions in the last week.

You know what paidi said about Kerry supporters...........If I was the kerry manager I’d be going up a mountain as well and stayin there.....especially after Sunday.

Would love to see one of the O Se, Darragh, Mark or Thomas back in the kerry set up of all the alIreland victories in the last 50 years, in my lifetime there was an O Se involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Would love to see one of the O Se, Darragh, Mark or Thomas back in the kerry set up of all the alIreland victories in the last 50 years, in my lifetime there was an O Se involved.

Well Darragh didn't do too well with the Under 21s did he?

Marc is dipping his toe into club management and is a live contender to be the next minor manager.

Tomas is a Cork man now. More likely to help out his mate Billy than give up a handy TV gig to give a bit back to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Reading in the Kerry's Eye online that Peter Keane had a fall on Carrauntoohil yesterday and dislocated his shoulder.

Awful few days for the man. Hope he has a quick recovery.

Probably lost in the shuffle of the Kerry defeat (while as a Corkman I was celebrating) I thought it was class of Peter Keane to do an interview on RTE straight away wishing us the best.

Whether or not he should stay on, I think it must have been incredibly hard to do that interview and I was surprised he did it. A small thing but something that just stuck with me. I hope he recovers well from his fall and is back soon at what ever he wants to do.

I know little about Tomas or Marc's management skills but I do know that the player's opinion of Darragh was very low when he was the under 21 manager.

Is there any word locally about club finals being played? Up here in Meath we have been given a provisional date of Feb 2021 for a county junior b final we got into. The club at home, Gneeveguilla, are in the Junior final after coming out the right side of 2 close contests with Ballymac and Fossa. We were actually nearly dead against Fossa when Clifford rattled off 1-2 without reply late in the game before a couple of defensive mistakes let us in for 2 handy goals.

One good thing about covid was all them games being streamed so hopefully that is kept up from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Slightly odd for the hurling season to be longer than the football one, but hopefully the lads can do the business this afternoon at the first time of asking.

Almost a carbon copy of the league final, as the home side hit us for two early goals.

3-7 to 0-5 now.

• Advertisement

If Conway hadn't missed the penalty, could have been a different game, but 3-9 to 1-6 nearing HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

If Conway hadn't missed the penalty, could have been a different game, but 3-9 to 1-6 nearing HT.

ud think the Messi of hurling would at least hit the target....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Better second half performance but Antrim had the work done in the first half,

All down to next weekend now against Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

BPKS wrote: »
    Tomas is a Cork man now. More likely to help out his mate Billy than give up a handy TV gig to give a bit back to Kerry.

You reckon he owes Kerry?

BPKS wrote: »
    Well Darragh didn't do too well with the Under 21s did he?

Marc is dipping his toe into club management and is a live contender to be the next minor manager.

What an odd statement.

He works & lives with his family in Cork.
    He gave us about 15 years of his life - maybe he wants to prioritise his family & professional career now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

What an odd statement.

He works & lives with his family in Cork.
    He gave us about 15 years of his life - maybe he wants to prioritise his family & professional career now.

with the exception of his severe criticism of Kerry on the Sunday Game after Cork game.... Tomas does seem in general to have more of an interest in Cork football than Kerry football...

Where were these guys training were they training indoors or on astroturf or what Kerry are gone soft nice lads that you would like to see your daughter coming up the drive with. Our under 6s coach likes to get out on a bit of grass when he can. Problem now is people in charge now don't like to see pitches cut up.

Jesus Christ lads Cork bate Kerry, get over yerselve's for the love of God.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Jesus Christ lads Cork bate Kerry, get over yerselve's for the love of God.
    Well it called the kerry gaa discussion forum and we are having a discussion on kerry football. So maybe its yourself that should give over yourself.

• Advertisement

Well it called the kerry gaa discussion forum and we are having a discussion on kerry football. So maybe its yourself that should give over yourself.

That's a fair point actually, carry on there lads, my apologies.

Advertisement