Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

tanko wrote: »
    Looked well wide on TV also.

Would also say that the pen was a great tackle by the keeper.....knocked the ball out of his hands first.....the tangle after is irrelevant for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

munster87 wrote: »
    Think Gavin Crowley will have a big year, missing as well yesterday?

I knew there was someone I was forgetting.
    Would also say that the pen was a great tackle by the keeper.....knocked the ball out of his hands first.....the tangle after is irrelevant for me

In fairness O'Rourke agrees with you.

http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/malachy-orourke-admits-penalty-call-was-harsh-on-kerry-467328.html

D'Agger wrote: »
    Enter Mikey Geaney, stage right

There will be unholy war if Fitzmaurice reverts to the older guys en masse for the championship.

Still a fair bit of disgruntlement around the place over last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

442231.jpg

Great effort from Murphy to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    There will be unholy war if Fitzmaurice reverts to the older guys en masse for the championship.

Still a fair bit of disgruntlement around the place over last year.

So if the championship was to start on Sunday who would you pick from the recent league games ?

Murphy over Kelly in goals ?

Foley over Griffin ?

Brian Beaglah on the wing instead of Young ?

I'd definitely have O' Shea in the half forward line over M. Geaney or Walsh.

Not sure about anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

So if the championship was to start on Sunday who would you pick from the recent league games ?

Murphy over Kelly in goals ?

Foley over Griffin ?

Brian Beaglah on the wing instead of Young ?

I'd definitely have O' Shea in the half forward line over M. Geaney or Walsh.

Not sure about anyone else.

If championship starts Sunday I’d go with

Murphy (Just)
    O’Beaglaoich, Foley, Enright
    G. Crowley, P. Crowley, Murphy
    Barry, Moran
    Burns, O’Shea, O’Brien
    Clifford, Geaney, JOD

You could switch people and put Morley, Shanahan or Tom O’Sullivan in at 2, 5 or 6 without weakening the team, Morley will probably be in the half back line come the summer tbh. Things could change a lot when everyone is back and a few games under their belt.

JOD is the big question, if he could get back fit and anywhere near his form of years ago we are a different team. Really hope he gets back on track this year it must be soul destroying for him.

There’s 7 players above that weren’t starting last year which would be a huge turnover. There will be a lot of pressure on Eamon to keep the young lads on the team now, unless they tank completely during the rest of the league. Either way the experience they have gained will be very valuable in the years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Big news that the Corn Ui Mhuiri final between PCD and Tralee CBS due to take place tomorrow has been called off due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Details of the re-fixture will be announced early next week.

The Kerry Senior Football Team v Galway AFL Round 4 Sunday 25th February 2018

1 Brian Kelly Killarney Legion

2 Shane Enright Tarbert

3 Jason Foley Ballydonoghue

4 Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks

5 Paul Murphy Rathmore

6 Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

7 Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht

8 Jack Barry Na Gaeil

9 Barry O’Sullivan Dingle

10 Micheál Burns (Captain) Dr. Crokes

11 Séan O’Shea Kenmare

12 Stephen O’Brien Kenmare

13 David Clifford Fossa

14 Paul Geaney Dingle

15 Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid:

16 Shane Murphy Dr. Crokes

17 Brendan O’Sullivan Valentia

18 Éanna Ó Conchúir An Ghaeltacht

19 Tom O’Sullivan Dingle

20 Dáithí Casey Dr. Croke

21 Michael Geaney Dingle

22 Killian Spillane Templenoe

23 Matthew Flaherty Dingle

24 Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue

25 Fionn Fitzgerald Dr. Crokes

26 Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore

27 Jack Savage Kerins O’Rahillys

28 Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Big news that the Corn Ui Mhuiri final between PCD and Tralee CBS due to take place tomorrow has been called off due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Details of the re-fixture will be announced early next week.

Yeah, looks like it's developed into a very serious situation, right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Is that the young lad who got injured during the week? Terrible if it's serious enough to postpone game. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is that the young lad who got injured during the week? Terrible if it's serious enough to postpone game. :(

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry Senior Hurling Team v Meath

Allianz Hurling League Round 4 Sunday February 25th, 2018

1 Martin Stackpoole Lixnaw

2 John Buckley Lixnaw

3 Bryan Murphy Causeway

4 Sean Weir Crotta O’Neills

5 Tomás O’Connor Crotta O’Neills

6 Mikey Boyle Ballyduff

7 Daniel Collins Kilmoyley

8 Brandon Barrett Causeway

9 Dáithí Griffin St. Brendans Ardfert

10 Paudie O’Connor Kilmoyley

11 Padraig Boyle (captain) Ballyduff

12 Brendan O’Leary Abbeydorney

13 Jack Goulding Ballyduff

14 Shane Conway Lixnaw

15 Jordan Conway Crotta O’Neills

Fir Ionaid:

16 Stephen Murphy Causeway

17 James O’Connor Abbeydorney

18 Darren Dineen St Brendans Ardfert

19 Colum Harty Causeway

20 Shane Nolan Crotta O’Neills

21 Maurice O’Connor Kilmoyley

22 Daniel O’Carroll Ballyduff

23 Barry O’Mahony Crotta O’Neills

24 Philip Lucid Ballyheigue

25 Pa Kelly Clarecastle

26 Tom Murnane Kilmoyley

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

I'm aware that this game isn't over but listening on Radio Kerry it seems like the more things change, the more they stay the same. Galway walking through the defence and creating at least 4 blatant goal chances - what is this persistent issue of us being cut open completely? It's so exasperating and demoralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Very sad. 2 young lives lost in 24 hours. Young man from PSCD and Amy O Connor from Killarney who lifted the cup at the club final with Johnny Buckley. Always hard to hear about children passing away. RIP to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus awful to hear about that young fella from Dingle. Really puts things into perspective. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
    Heard it was a collision of some sort - hopefully the other young lad involved doesn't suffer any lasting effects. Can only imagine what it would be like to be involved in an incident like that.

Jesus awful to hear about that young fella from Dingle. Really puts things into perspective. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
    Heard it was a collision of some sort - hopefully the other young lad involved doesn't suffer any lasting effects. Can only imagine what it would be like to be involved in an incident like that.

Awful news. Only 14.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam.

Obviously with the sad news from Dingle and Killarney it puts the disappointment of losing the game in context.

Management need to sort out the defensive structure.

The kickput plan of "pull the backs so there can't be any short kickouts" is bizzare and ugly. Effective today though.

Pace is a huge issue in defence with our backs matching up man to man. We must have given away 10 frees for pushing a Galway man in the back as well. Its a basic rule but we give away so many frees for it.

The Monaghan game had a huge effect on our legs. Struggled midway through the second half before getting a bit of energy back late.

We could do with the snow next week and the match next Saturday being put off a week. To have to reload and go again against Dublin will be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Obviously with the sad news from Dingle and Killarney it puts the disappointment of losing the game in context.

Management need to sort out the defensive structure.

The kickput plan of "pull the backs so there can't be any short kickouts" is bizzare and ugly. Effective today though.

Pace is a huge issue in defence with our backs matching up man to man. We must have given away 10 frees for pushing a Galway man in the back as well. Its a basic rule but we give away so many frees for it.

The Monaghan game had a huge effect on our legs. Struggled midway through the second half before getting a bit of energy back late.

We could do with the snow next week and the match next Saturday being put off a week. To have to reload and go again against Dublin will be very difficult.

The defence has been porous since Marc and Aidan O’Mahoney left. We don’t have any leaders back there. The amount of unnecessary frees we give away is very worrying and I have no confidence that it will be fixed for the summer. We could have given away five goals today but for some good saves by Kelly and some wasteful shooting by Galway.

Galway are well ahead of us in terms of fitness and preparation at this stage if today is anything to go by so I would not be overly concerned about the result. We will improve far more than they will by May. I was very impressed with them all the same.

Kerry have serious work to do between now and the championship. We need to hold on to Div 1 status as well, so we need to beat Kildare and / or Tyrone. I wouldn’t give us a prayer against Dublin in Croker but I hope I’m wrong.

Special mention to Clifford today, thought he was excellent and kicked some lovely scores despite being well watched. I was worried that he was being promoted too soon but he looks well able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

dobman88 wrote: »
    Very sad. 2 young lives lost in 24 hours. Young man from PSCD and Amy O Connor from Killarney who lifted the cup at the club final with Johnny Buckley. Always hard to hear about children passing away. RIP to both.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1803170556401994&id=143259019059831 sorry for jumping into your thread, but saw this today and it brought a tear to my eye. Heartbreaking. RIP.

All matches this weekend postponed.

An extra week to prepare for the Dubs it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

"The Weather Watchers Watchful Committee (WWWC) met by tele-conference this morning as most members were snowed in or asleep, and voted by 6 votes to 5, to postpone all the weekend's matches, despite an amendment which proposed that the decision be left to the referee at each venue up to half an hour before throw-in.

"One member expressed the view that they would wake up on Saturday and the snow will all have melted, and that 'we'll look like right fkn eijits then'."

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "The Weather Watchers Watchful Committee (WWWC) met by tele-conference this morning as most members were snowed in or asleep, and voted by 6 votes to 5, to postpone all the weekend's matches, despite an amendment which proposed that the decision be left to the referee at each venue up to half an hour before throw-in.

"One member expressed the view that they would wake up on Saturday and the snow will all have melted, and that 'we'll look like right fkn eijits then'."

Please tell me that's satire?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dobman88 wrote: »
    Please tell me that's satire?

You would never know with them boys :)

Derry CB acted under the assumption that a blazing sun was going to miraculously appear, and thaw out Celtic Park a few weeks ago despite it still being frozen two hours before the match, by which stage the Offaly team and supporters had arrived.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You would never know with them boys :).

This was my first thought unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Good frank interview with Bryan Sheehan on this week's RTE GAA Podcast, worth a listen.

Same As wrote: »
    Good frank interview with Bryan Sheehan on this week's RTE GAA Podcast, worth a listen.

Once again the general vibe here seems all wrong in terms of lads deciding to retire under Fitzmaurice.

Bryan seems to be the latest to come out and say it was pretty much his decision to retire as opposed to being told by Fitzmaurice that his time was up.

Seems to be the same vibe in terms of deciding to retire that was there with Galvin, Marc, Cooper, Aidan, Declan. I don't think Fitzmaurice has told one of the older guard that their time was up. Maybe a small thing but just drives me spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Once again the general vibe here seems all wrong in terms of lads deciding to retire under Fitzmaurice.

Bryan seems to be the latest to come out and say it was pretty much his decision to retire as opposed to being told by Fitzmaurice that his time was up.

Seems to be the same vibe in terms of deciding to retire that was there with Galvin, Marc, Cooper, Aidan, Declan. I don't think Fitzmaurice has told one of the older guard that their time was up. Maybe a small thing but just drives me spare.

I think if some of them stayed on I could see him still picking them ahead of the younger players come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Kerry Senior Football Team v Dublin

AFL Round 5 Sunday 11th March 2018

1 Shane Murphy (Captain) Dr. Crokes

2 Shane Enright Tarbert

3 Jason Foley Ballydonoghue

4 Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks

5 Paul Murphy Rathmore

6 Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

7 Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht

8 Jack Barry Na Gaeil

9 Barry O’Sullivan Dingle