Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Abbeydorney could be setting up a football team as so many of their hurlers are playing with other clubs.

While i knew they only had one county championship since the 70s. it's actually one since 1913! I was also very surprised to see they've never won either the county league of the North Kerry championship

They're an odd one as they won the minor county championship in 2018 on their own and got the the final in 2017 joined with Parnells. Yet they seem to lose a lot of players as they only ever tend to have 1/2 players on the Kerry team at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Pat Falvey is the big addition to the management

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

cms88 wrote:
    Abbeydorney could be setting up a football team as so many of their hurlers are playing with other clubs.

Selfishly I hope not. Na Gaeil are backboned by some fantastic footballers from Abbeydorney.

The impression I got from the County Board meeting notes was that they had no immediate plans for a Football team but would be entitled to their players if they did set one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Pat Falvey is the big addition to the management

How so exactly ?

Far enough he has achieved a great deal in his life but what value will he add to the Kerry team setup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

How so exactly ?

Far enough he has achieved a great deal in his life but what value will he add to the Kerry team setup ?

Listen to this and come back to me

https://www.radiokerry.ie/pat-falvey-looking-forward-kerry-senior-football-role/?fbclid=IwAR1F3r6cM6hWGodqz4AwCASKOtXtDL2MEmW-0uTAH_eoulDturm7Ccx00aE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

How so exactly ?

I've been asking myself the same thing since I heard of the appointment. And all I can think of is he will be some kind of sports psychologist cos that's all I can find out about him on his website. His company does guided tours of mountains and he does talks to help people mentally. I hope to God it works cos its needless when it's clear to see we need a defence and tactical coach

How so exactly ?

He'll be able to keep an eye on Peter Keane if he goes climbing again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Positive mindset and energy and all that stuff are only of any use if people buy into it. I think the younger crowd are a little more open-minded so it has a better chance. I know a few years back at club level we had a manager who was one of those types, always positive, finding the best in every situation etc. Admittedly we did very well for about 2 years, certain players really improved with new found confidence.
    Eventually though all the positive talking wore thin and the manager's speeches started to wear.

I never bought into it, maybe as an older player I just couldn't change my ways, I dunno. I just wasn't one of those players that could easily be mollycoddled
    Each to their own I guess. I have read all types of motivational books and listened to different podcasts and they all morph into the same spiel in a roundabout way
    BTW I listened to that radio Kery clip. To me its a bit self praising and a full of bluster but as I say, each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wonga77 wrote: »
    Positive mindset and energy and all that stuff are only of any use if people buy into it. I think the younger crowd are a little more open-minded so it has a better chance. I know a few years back at club level we had a manager who was one of those types, always positive, finding the best in every situation etc. Admittedly we did very well for about 2 years, certain players really improved with new found confidence.
    Eventually though all the positive talking wore thin and the manager's speeches started to wear.

I never bought into it, maybe as an older player I just couldn't change my ways, I dunno. I just wasn't one of those players that could easily be mollycoddled
    Each to their own I guess. I have read all types of motivational books and listened to different podcasts and they all morph into the same spiel in a roundabout way
    BTW I listened to that radio Kery clip. To me its a bit self praising and a full of bluster but as I say, each to their own

When I was working at one stage the company used to change management and middle management every 2-3 years. New manager,s always gave a spiel about company redirection, change and basically were all in this together.

There was a newbie at the meeting once and he commented to me about this new manager and how food and forward thinking he was. I told him I had heard a different version of that spiel 3+ times now and would hear its few more times. After about twelve months this young Las understood. About two years later after a new manager was again doing the rounds we were in stitches coming out of the meeting.

Motivational coaches are generally targeting the younger newer players trying to get that extra buying by them or trying to get a last push out of gullible older players into thinking that an extra effort now will now reap that elusive medal. Lads that have been through the mill are harder to fool.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

When I heard of Pat Falvey’s appointment I initially had the motivational role in my head also. But after a bit of reading about him and thinking about it I have come to an alternative view. His achievements are mind blowing when you read them all. He has done it himself and also brought others such as the first Irish woman to climb Everest. You don’t achieve these things just being a motivator.
    I would suggest he has a serious performance brain which could be applied anywhere, leaving no stone unturned to guarantee success. Someone who can think outside the box which is what we have been missing for a long time. He will help teach the players how to cope with pressure and react appropriately.
    While he will add very little to the actual footballing side of things I think he will be a fantastic addition from a mental performance point of view.

On the performance note, I’m very keen to see the physical condition of the players to see if they have closed the gap any bit on Dublin. I still have reservations on Mcgahan on this but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for another year.

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »

I listened to it.

And I have to say, what a pile of s**te

As another poster said, all bluster.

I thought near the end that Drummy was sniggering at him.

Why do Kerry need a motivator like him to get them going ?

Is losing to Cork not motivation enough ?
    Is losing an All Ireland final after a replay when they had it in their grasp the first day not motivation enough ?

The likes of myself would be far less sceptical of this if they had not shown one of the best coaches in the game the door 12 months earlier.

Based on the last two All Ireland finals (2019 replay and 20920 final) I am convinced the only way anyone can beat Dublin right now is if they get a huge break on the day (like the first 2019 game, Kerry being a man up for most of the game) and take full advantage of it.

In my opinion the longer Kerry persist with this management team not only will they not be able to beat Dublin but they will no longer be one of the top two teams in the country either.

Forge83 wrote: »
    When I heard of Pat Falvey’s appointment I initially had the motivational role in my head also. But after a bit of reading about him and thinking about it I have come to an alternative view. His achievements are mind blowing when you read them all. He has done it himself and also brought others such as the first Irish woman to climb Everest. You don’t achieve these things just being a motivator.
    I would suggest he has a serious performance brain which could be applied anywhere, leaving no stone unturned to guarantee success. Someone who can think outside the box which is what we have been missing for a long time. He will help teach the players how to cope with pressure and react appropriately.
    While he will add very little to the actual footballing side of things I think he will be a fantastic addition from a mental performance point of view.

On the performance note, I’m very keen to see the physical condition of the players to see if they have closed the gap any bit on Dublin. I still have reservations on Mcgahan on this but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for another year.

Is that Donnie Buckley in bold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Is that Donnie Buckley in bold ?

I’d rate Donie Buckley highly.
    But if he doesn’t fit with the current management then it is what it is.
    There’s no point holding that against Pat Falvey. Let him prove if it was the right or wrong decision to bring him onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

This Pat Falvey thing will have them quaking in their boots - laughing their ar5es off at us in the Dublin camp…

I've had occasion to meet him, heard him speak and he is full of hot air and his own self importance. It is utter spoofing to see him being given a role with the Kerry Senior panel when it's quite clear and obvious what is needed is someone with a coaching/tactical brain.

Not enthusiastic or positive about the outlook at the moment despite the fact that we should still probably be the biggest obstacle to Dublin.

Forge83 wrote: »
    I’d rate Donie Buckley highly.
    But if he doesn’t fit with the current management then it is what it is.
    There’s no point holding that against Pat Falvey. Let him prove if it was the right or wrong decision to bring him onboard.

I think to a certain extent that Keane was hamstrung with Buckley.

The minute that Kerry got knocked out at the QF stage in 2018 the talk was getting Buckley back.

So no matter who was manager Buckley was to be involved.

And apparently Buckley and Keane never saw eye to eye and that was the end of that.

But what gets me most about this appointment is why do you need an outsider like Falvey to motivate or train this team ?

Do they not have motivation enough in losing two national finals in 2019 and getting beaten by Cork in 2020 ?

Is there no one within Kerry GAA (past player, coaches etc) that could deliver what Falvey is brought in to deliver ?

It's really some sort of out of left field move that you would see from a county with less or a pedigree than Kerry, where they try something different because they don't have that talent within their own GAA community.

Surely Kerry have that talent within their GAA community ?

To me it's like the police brining in a physic to solve a murder case that has gone cold.

Another decent read from Adam Moynihan in the Killarney Advertiser

https://twitter.com/AdamMoynihan/status/1367907054002790400?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Of the minor losses of 04 and 06, which was the hardest to take lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

thesultan wrote: »
    Of the minor losses of 04 and 06, which was the hardest to take lose?

Really Kerry actually got more out of both in terms of players. From 04 Killian Young, Darren O Sullivan, Pádraig Reidy, Kieran O'Leary and Brendan Kealy all went on to win senior All-Irelands. From 06 Shane Enright, Tommy Walsh, David Moran and Johnny Buckley were the same.

I saw this posted on the Kerry GAA supporters Facebook page. The man who has it asked what year its from and everyone who replied said 2014. I'm not so sure it is and I think its 09. It belonged to his Grandafther who passed away.

Would anyone have a better idea than me?

Also just to add, I'm not "advertising" the raffle, I dont know the guy and wont be buying a ticket myself, just curious as to the year of the jersey.

https://raffall.com/212794/enter-raffle-to-win-signed-all-ireland-kerry-jersey-hosted-by-sean-depoitte?fbclid=IwAR2rMKmOvKP3587o2UtvY_mlXBmqFErYluujLau_aZw78kO-bLFhmjujct4

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I saw this posted on the Kerry GAA supporters Facebook page. The man who has it asked what year its from and everyone who replied said 2014. I'm not so sure it is and I think its 09. It belonged to his Grandafther who passed away.

Would anyone have a better idea than me?

Also just to add, I'm not "advertising" the raffle, I dont know the guy and wont be buying a ticket myself, just curious as to the year of the jersey.

https://raffall.com/212794/enter-raffle-to-win-signed-all-ireland-kerry-jersey-hosted-by-sean-depoitte?fbclid=IwAR2rMKmOvKP3587o2UtvY_mlXBmqFErYluujLau_aZw78kO-bLFhmjujct4

No it's the jersey from 2013-14 alright. It's like to the 09 one but have the different crest.

cms88 wrote: »
    No it's the jersey from 2013-14 alright. It's like to the 09 one but have the different crest.

Fair enough. Jack O Connors signature is throwing me off though. Cant see Eamonns on it and he was manager in 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

dobman88 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Jack O Connors signature is throwing me off though. Cant see Eamonns on it and he was manager in 2014

Maybe they got Jack as he was minor manager at the time?

Maybe they got Jack as he was minor manager at the time?

Could have, I guess. An interesting one anyway and had me 2nd guessing if it was a 2014 final jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Was Jack still involved in 2013?

Eoin Brosnans name appears to be there as well and I think he left in December 2013

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Was Jack still involved in 2013?

Eoin Brosnans name appears to be there as well and I think he left in December 2013

That's kinda my line of thinking. It may not have been from 2014 at all. Could just be a jersey that was signed for someone or some cause.

Does anyone remember Fergal O Se managing the Kerry U21s in the mid 2000s?

Does anyone remember Fergal O Se managing the Kerry U21s in the mid 2000s?

I vaguely recall something alright - maybe he was the trainer when John O'Dwyer was manager?
    I had the "pleasure" of being over in Kilmihil when we were beaten by Clare in the U21 in 2007 despite having a serious raft of talent. Team preparation and selection really were shambolic at the time when you look back at it. Some of the people given jobs with Kerry teams were nowhere near up to the level required.

I'll never forget the feeling walking out of Pairc ui Rinn in 2011 after our U21s were infamously beaten by 22 points. A Kerry side that had Brian Kelly, Peter Crowley, Mark Griffin, Jack Sherwood, Jonathan Lyne, James O’Donoghue, Barry John Keane, Stephen O’Brien, Paul Geaney, Daithi Casey all playing..beaten by 24 points. It's the angriest I have even been after a match in my lifetime and I hope I never experience it again.
    A poster here had warned me that all was not well, I didn't believe it, was somewhat dismissive of him...but he was proved correct.

Looking at developments in the last few days where committees to "sort out" Kerry football are being announced and some of the people involved in the shambolic goings on above are part of them, I wonder have we progressed much at all? :rolleyes:

I vaguely recall something alright - maybe he was the trainer when John O'Dwyer was manager?
    I had the "pleasure" of being over in Kilmihil when we were beaten by Clare in the U21 in 2007 despite having a serious raft of talent. Team preparation and selection really were shambolic at the time when you look back at it. Some of the people given jobs with Kerry teams were nowhere near up to the level required.

I'll never forget the feeling walking out of Pairc ui Rinn in 2011 after our U21s were infamously beaten by 22 points. A Kerry side that had Brian Kelly, Peter Crowley, Mark Griffin, Jack Sherwood, Jonathan Lyne, James O’Donoghue, Barry John Keane, Stephen O’Brien, Paul Geaney, Daithi Casey all playing..beaten by 24 points. It's the angriest I have even been after a match in my lifetime and I hope I never experience it again.
    A poster here had warned me that all was not well, I didn't believe it, was somewhat dismissive of him...but he was proved correct.

Looking at developments in the last few days where committees to "sort out" Kerry football are being announced and some of the people involved in the shambolic goings on above are part of them, I wonder have we progressed much at all? :rolleyes:

I thought he was the manger fr that Clare game. I've found it hard to actually got much info on that Clare game.

There has been some poor appointments for the U21s in the last 20 odd years. Had John O'Dwyer much experience when he became U21 manager? Has he done anything since? I think he was with Micko with Wicklow.

John Kennedy was another poor choose. He had one of the most talented minor teams ,before recent times, in 2006 and couldn't delver an All-Ireland and was poor in the other years after. Was a disaster as U21 manager in 2010-11, however i think he was given the job when no one else would take it.

Darragh O Se was anotehr disaster soon after.

Was Charlie Nelligan also U21 manger in the 2000s? I know he was the minor manager for a good few years in the 90s.

• Advertisement

I thought he was the manger fr that Clare game. I've found it hard to actually got much info on that Clare game.

There has been some poor appointments for the U21s in the last 20 odd years. Had John O'Dwyer much experience when he became U21 manager? Has he done anything since? I think he was with Micko with Wicklow.

John Kennedy was another poor choose. He had one of the most talented minor teams ,before recent times, in 2006 and couldn't delver an All-Ireland and was poor in the other years after. Was a disaster as U21 manager in 2010-11, however i think he was given the job when no one else would take it.

Darragh O Se was anotehr disaster soon after.

Was Charlie Nelligan also U21 manger in the 2000s? I know he was the minor manager for a good few years in the 90s.

That Clare game in 2007 - was a shambles. All of 2004 Minor team that lost AI final and 2006 Minor team (that should have won an AI as you say) were available and yet we lost to Clare. I think the score was 1-6 to 0-6. Says it all. Tipp beat Clare in the next round and then Cork hammered Tipp. Says it all.

John O'Dwyer - was a selector with Paidi towards the end of his reign and was made U21 manager in 2005 or 2006 I think. There was no success at that grade anyway until Seán Geaney and Jerome Stack came in for 2008 and won the All Ireland, which remains our last success at U21/U20.

I'd agree with you on Kennedy. And Darragh, great player that he was.
    There was a famous story that at the county board meeting to nominate U21 manager there were no nominations received and after a phone call to Kennedy begging him to take it, he was appointed. Shambolic stuff, so don't blame Kennedy as much as I blame the poor board oversight for that appointment.

Charlie Nelligan was Minor manager for 7/8 years I'd say. Won an All Ireland in 1994, but some of the subsequent years we threw away games we should have won a lot. There were some bizarre decisions made at various points. Tom O'Sullivan was overlooked for Kerry Minors when it was obvious to anyone he should have been playing, for example.

Anyway, enough of the looking back I suppose. Problem is I don't view the immediate future (for Senior team at least) with any great positivity either as the setup is a shambles once again.

Advertisement