Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

We really need a change in management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Kerry were good for first 1/4 but in 2nd and 3rd 1/4s Dublin turned on the turbo and were lethal.
    They're pace when running at Kerry was too hot to handle.

Dublin could've had at least 4 more goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

mystic86 wrote: »

This x 1.000!

Jesus we got Paudi to step down and at the time Paudi was doing a way better job than what's being done now.

It's extremely depressing how pedestrian Kerry football has become, for a county who were once the torch bearers. And yet our county board insists on keeping the same unsuccessful incumbent for the past four years.

And sorry but one league and one A1 in this county in 4 years is unsuccessful or are we grateful for crumbs now!

I'm so very glad I didn't renew my season ticket this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

The players need to take some responsibility also for the complete capitulation in the second half.

Some of the substitutions completely boggled me.

Same As wrote: »
    The players need to take some responsibility also for the complete capitulation in the second half.

Some of the substitutions completely boggled me.

Players reflect how they are managed. A top class management team reflects itself in top class performances on the field, leadership and chemistry between players.In short quality management makes for a quality team. Especially where there is talent and this Kerry squad have talent.

Our management is useless. No point blaming the chickens for being headless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Kerry train 3 nights a week for 90mins...What the hell are the management coaching these guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,612 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Will there be pressure on the management team after this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Will there be pressure on the management team after this?

No chance. Fitzmaurice is there until the end of the year at least. It’s March and we are missing experienced first team men like Morley and Moran who would have made a big difference today. Half the team are in their debut season. We are also clearly weeks behind Dublin in terms of preparation and fitness.

The result is really not all that surprising given the above. We have huge room for improvement and there is great potential in this team. I have reservations myself, but people need to lay off the management and get behind the team. I dread to think what Terrace talk will be like tomorrow evening!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

acequion wrote: »
    This x 1.000!

Jesus we got Paudi to step down and at the time Paudi was doing a way better job than what's being done now.

It's extremely depressing how pedestrian Kerry football has become, for a county who were once the torch bearers. And yet our county board insists on keeping the same unsuccessful incumbent for the past four years.

And sorry but one league and one A1 in this county in 4 years is unsuccessful or are we grateful for crumbs now!

I'm so very glad I didn't renew my season ticket this year.

To be fair to the manager Kerry have one League and one AI in EIGHT years. These issues did not necessarily begin on his watch.

It might also be argued that Kerry have actually been very good for most of Fitzmaurice's reign but ran into an exceptional Dublin team a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To be fair to the manager Kerry have one League and one AI in EIGHT years. These issues did not necessarily begin on his watch.

It might also be argued that Kerry have actually been very good for most of Fitzmaurice's reign but ran into an exceptional Dublin team a lot of the time.

An all ireland and a league is a good achievement no matter what county it is, but he has made some big blunders too and was too slow and too stubborn in bringing youth into the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

1: Murphy : 7 Some nice kickouts. Good speed at times. Great save from Howard. Then kicked balls over the sideline. Kicked a 50/50 towards Paul Murphy who had Brian ****ing Fenton making him. Palmed the ball weakly for Dublin's second goal.

2: Enright: 7 Some crucial shoulders on players running through, stopping a bad situation becoming worse. Basquel was quiet, but kicked 2 points off him.

3: Foley: 7 Considering the amount of ball that was coming in, handled Rock reasonably well from play. Still looks very light.

4: Shanahan: 7 Though he was Kerry's man of the match while in Croke Park, but I've since read that Andrews got 3 points from play off him. Visually looked very good though, got hands in well and made some excellent tackles. A bit slow for Croker I fear.

5: Murphy: 5 Cleaned out by Kilkenny, who played way more advanced then he has all year. This kept Murphy back like a corner back and he really struggled to get into the game. Missed him out the field around the breaks. Perhaps moving him back the the half forward line might be the answer.

6. Crowley: 6 Some highlight big hits, including one on Fenton as Fenton tried to clean him out in a third man tackle. He won't be trying that again in a hurry. Pace a massive worry especially through the middle.

7. Brian O'Beaglaoich 7 Charged forward well but couldn't buy a break especially in the second half. Scully didn't cause much damage.

8. Jack Barry 7 Like most KErry players mixed the good with the anonymous. Spent periods of the game chasing shadows back thruogh the middle. A few good attacking bursts were halted by the crippling lack of support.

9 . Barry O'Sullivan: 6 I haven't seen the replay of the black card but at the game (from the far side) it seemed like a pretty awful call. Two lads competing for the ball. Fenton won the mark and BO'S was adjudged to have pulled him down. Little impact on the game apart from that. McAuley caused him a bit of trouble, but caused substitute Eanna O'Connor a lot more.

10. Micheal Burns: 6 Little flashes early on, but has that irritating tendency to kick unnecessarily with the outside of his boot, leading to several stupid turnovers today.

11. Seán O'Shea : 5 Welcome to the bigtime. Seanie went off injured (unsurprising given the hiding he was getting from John Small for 35 mins). The open goal missed was a huge moment in the match. He'll have better days in Croker.

12. Adrian Spillane: 5 Looked like he was lacking match fitness. Struggled with the pace of the game. Ran himself into the ground, but was no attacking threat.

13. David Clifford: 8 Tore into Dublin early and was all over Cian O'Sullivan. Johnny Cooper gave him a tougher time of it. Struggled to score in the second half with no support runners to help him. Our only forward threat.

14. Paul Geaney: 5 Missed a hatful of chances before going off injured. Great chance for goal, foiled by the butt of the post.

15. Kevin McCarthy: 5 Like Spillane, looks well off match fitness. Ran a fair bit, but with 20 minutes gone he looked wrecked and didn't seem to ever get his second wind. Tipped over a point after Geaney's missed goal chance.

Sideline: -4 (Yes minus four) Mikey Geaney on at half time to rescue the game. Enough said. It took him just 2 minutes to make his impact marking absolutely nobody while Dublin tapped over their first point of the second half. Looked left and right for his man who was gone in behind him. BJK chased and worked back a bit but i'm not sure he actually touched the ball at all. Eanna O'Connor charged forward a bit but left McAuley run riot.

Dublin were awesome. Fitter, faster, tougher, better football. Great movement. Great awareness and understanding. A proper team.

Less said about the referee the better.

(Note these ratings may be revised after watching the match back)

Powerhouse wrote: »

I'm not usually so harsh and up to this year I had a season ticket renewed each year from 2010,so I was at every match. I,too wanted to believe in Fitzmaurice and give him every chance.

But the time for excuses is over and with respect,your comments above come across as mere excuses.

In a county with 37 AIs,one AI and one league in eight years is a dismal return. We really need to stop this lowering of our formerly very high standards.

And I cannot agree that Kerry have been mostly good under Fitzmaurice. Look at all the implosions, all the let downs on big days, all the wrong decisions on the sideline, all the years when we had to fight relegation in the League. I've lost count of all the long journeys home from matches with my heart in my boots. Apart from Dublin,Mayo has been the only other county vying for the honours at the business end. So it's not like we've had to beat loads of great teams.

Yes Dublin are exceptional,fair play to them. But that's no excuse either. Or as I asked earlier, are we resigned to playing second,or even third, fourth,fifth fiddle from here on in?? We, the original aristocrats with all our titles.

The time for excuses really is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

mickeyk wrote: »
    No chance. Fitzmaurice is there until the end of the year at least. It’s March and we are missing experienced first team men like Morley and Moran who would have made a big difference today. Half the team are in their debut season. We are also clearly weeks behind Dublin in terms of preparation and fitness.

The result is really not all that surprising given the above. We have huge room for improvement and there is great potential in this team. I have reservations myself, but people need to lay off the management and get behind the team. I dread to think what Terrace talk will be like tomorrow evening!!

How are they weeks behind in fitness? Dublin should be weeks behind after their team holiday. Sorry lad but the excuses are wearing thin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's more a case of years behind than weeks behind.

wazzer1 wrote: »
    How are they weeks behind in fitness? Dublin should be weeks behind after their team holiday. Sorry lad but the excuses are wearing thin

What excuses? Dublin are miles ahead of Kerry in terms of fitness and general conditioning. Are you seriously trying to tell me you couldn’t see that today in the second half?

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's more a case of years behind than weeks behind.

Yes, probably true. Most of the Dublin squad have incredible levels of fitness and conditioning acquired over many years and it is going to take time to get youngsters to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Yes, probably true. Most of the Dublin squad have incredible levels of fitness and conditioning acquired over many years and it is going to take time to get youngsters to that level.

Agree, but I think EF is not the man to do it. A freshness in approach is needed, along with some clarity of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kerry are light years behind Dublin since 2011. Not going to change anytime soon.

Agree, but I think EF is not the man to do it. A freshness in approach is needed, along with some clarity of thought.

Oh I agree, I thought he should have walked away last year after the Mayo replay. It was obvious the team needed major surgery and would not be competing for Sam this year. A lot of the fans have turned on him and he is doing his legacy further damage by staying on. It would have been an ideal time to change manager and sell it as a 2-3 year project of building a new team. That is the reality of what we are facing in to and I don’t think Eamon will get that time.

That said, while he is there I will support the team and hope that he succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the problem with changing manager is that Jack O'Connor is the only other choice and that he is not flavour of the month with the county board. Cian O'Neill and EF were a good combination but apart they do not seem to be as good.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I think the problem with changing manager is that Jack O'Connor is the only other choice and that he is not flavour of the month with the county board. Cian O'Neill and EF were a good combination but apart they do not seem to be as good.

Jack wasn’t the only choice, and I don’t think he’d have accepted the job anyway in the current circumstances. He has a knack of timing his appointments too well to take the job now.

You have Stephen Wallace, Liam Kearns, Pat O’Shea or even Peter Keane who could have taken over the reins under the right terms and worked the new players in.

Whoever has the job for the next couple of years is on a hiding to nothing. Kerry fans expect an All Ireland every year but the panel is not good enough to win an All Ireland at the moment, and won’t be until the new players have more experience.

I’d agree that Cian has been a loss, I wonder would Sam 2014 have happened without him?

I’d agree that Cian has been a loss, I wonder would Sam 2014 have happened without him?

I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Same As wrote: »
    Good frank interview with Bryan Sheehan on this week's RTE GAA Podcast, worth a listen

Good interview.

But the interviewer has the annoying "David Brent" type habit.
    Interjecting with a sincere couple of words every so often in a whisper.

Sheehan would be in full flow talking, and yer man would say something like "professional..." "ball work...." "recovery...."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So according to Micko Dublin can't be considered a great team until they hammer a team in an AI final.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mick-odwyer-wont-call-dublin-a-really-great-team-until-they-pull-off-one-allireland-final-achievement-36699532.html

Of course he leaves out questions of standards in the game and how the game has changed since the 1980's game management, control of games, possession etc.

But I think he does have a point to a certain extent.
    But I would say to Micko be careful what you wish for!

Dublin hammering Kerry in an AI final might not be far away...

If Kerry get there of course....
    I would be more afraid of Tipp!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So according to Micko Dublin can't be considered a great team until they hammer a team in an AI final.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mick-odwyer-wont-call-dublin-a-really-great-team-until-they-pull-off-one-allireland-final-achievement-36699532.html

Of course he leaves out questions of standards in the game and how the game has changed since the 1980's game management, control of games, possession etc.

But I think he does have a point to a certain extent.
    But I would say to Micko be careful what you wish for!

Dublin hammering Kerry in an AI final might not be far away...

If Kerry get there of course....
    I would be more afraid of Tipp!

According to the panel on Terrace Talk last night Kerry are going to get to the All Ireland final

John Kennedy said so because this year Munster play Ulster in the Semi Finals thus they will avoid Dublin until the final.

No one bothered to correct him and tell him that there was a different system this year

It's a bit like last year when it was only on the August Bank Holiday Monday that it dawned on them that they had to beat Mayo to get to Dublin, after spending the whole year talking about how to beat Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Speaking of terrace talk, how is Weeshie now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

wonga77 wrote: »
    Speaking of terrace talk, how is Weeshie now?

No idea, he made a few short guest appearances during the championship last year but had not been on since, Timmy Moynihan is still very much at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

No idea, he made a few short guest appearances during the championship last year but had not been on since, Timmy Moynihan is still very much at the helm.

I hope weeshie is doing well. He was great on terrace talk.

I'd rarely listen to terrace talk now, putting it mildly tim isn't a great presenter imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

JohnBoy26 wrote:
    I'd rarely listen to terrace talk now, putting it mildly tim isn't a great presenter imo.

Couldn't agree more. Tim is a poor presenter and a very poor commentator.

I'm not surprised about Kennedy and Co getting it wrong. Radio Kerry insist on 'dinasour' analysist.

Advertisement