Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Whatever you say about Galway it's been a long time since we had a full 70min performance like this. Great to see that we didn't take the foot off the pedal at any stage.

Delighted with that. Not much else we could do. A complete performance against a Division 1 side.

Yeah. True about being on it for the full match. They alluded to that after the game and mentioned the Mayo game in Castlebar when they took the foot off the gas. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, stay going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Very impressed with Kerry today first day out. They will be the first team to beat Dublin when it does happen I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Today was encouraging, good to see a few new faces getting a run out too. Galway were very disappointing opposition though it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Who is the Kerry players that has asked team management to give him a few weeks to see if he will be available or of he will retire???

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Who is the Kerry players that has asked team management to give him a few weeks to see if he will be available or of he will retire???

James O'Donoghue would be strongest possibility I'd imagine given his injury history and age. If not him maybe Jack Sherwood or Stephen O'Brien as possibles mainly based mainly on their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

That was an excellent performance, the kick pass conversion rate was brilliant.

Paul Geaney does a pile of unselfish work, won a lot of dirty ball when required.

What can you say about Clifford and Sean O Shea. They are physically in top condition, Galway tacklers falling off them, a lot of gym work done in the last few months at home I presume.

A word on Galway, piss poor. Shane Walsh is a lovely footballer but he goes missing a lot. Comer looks like he is still injured his gait seems off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Shane12 wrote: »
    That was an excellent performance, the kick pass conversion rate was brilliant.

Paul Geaney does a pile of unselfish work, won a lot of dirty ball when required.

What can you say about Clifford and Sean O Shea. They are physically in top condition, Galway tacklers falling off them, a lot of gym work done in the last few months at home I presume.

A word on Galway, piss poor. Shane Walsh is a lovely footballer but he goes missing a lot. Comer looks like he is still injured his gait seems off.

comer was always overrated, Constantky diving

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    James O'Donoghue would be strongest possibility I'd imagine given his injury history and age. If not him maybe Jack Sherwood or Stephen O'Brien as possibles mainly based mainly on their age.

Both Jack and Stephen would be massive losses to the squad. Jack can feel hard done by to be fair with his championship game time over the last couple of years.
    James not so much, his game doesn’t stack up to what’s needed at championship level these days. Great baller but doesn’t have the rest to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kevhog1988 wrote:
    comer was always overrated, Constantky diving

I disagree. Comer is a fantastic footballer.

Couldn't do anything today. Supply line was cut off well further up the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Whatever you say about Galway it's been a long time since we had a full 70min performance like this. Great to see that we didn't take the foot off the pedal at any stage.

Delighted with that. Not much else we could do. A complete performance against a Division 1 side.

they played well against donegal last October in tralee to win league and we know what happened 2weeks later....

i hope the Kerry media dont lose the run of themselves over this performance by the team... wouldnt get my hopes up tho... terrace talk will be some cringefest monday nite... tougher tests lie ahead for the lads... would really like to see a team like Monaghan get stuck into them to see howe our boys will react tis only then we will know if we have the men to bring Sam.

Mayo hammered galway in tuam last october when league resumed.... and didnt raise much of a gallop in dec aghainst the dubs....

On Galway... padraic joyce was a great player... unfortunately for him.. looks like he will be a worse manager than Kevin Walsh before him... which is some achievement

The hurlers are getting an awful hiding from Offaly, 2-21 to 0-8 and still a long way to go in the second half!

Finishes 2-28 to 0-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

We got hammered today by a far hungrier Offaly side, we got beat to everything and were wiped out in any 50/50 ball or rucks, really lacking physically today in a number of positions, gave away two soft goals, they were well taken goals but from a marking point of view they were soft.
    Offaly have the league won I think as they seem to be a far different Offaly side to the last few years, the rest are playing for second place now

Same team named in the football for Sunday.

A couple of surprises on the bench with Adrian Spillane dropping out. Stephen O'Brien and Jack Sherwood have returned.to the bench. Kealy is sub Keeper again

Think a win could be important on Sunday. Instill a bit of belief in the players that they can beat Dublin. Won't matter if they lose obviously but a win will be a big morale booster.

Great to have these games back to look forward to, gutting we can't go to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dobman88 wrote: »
    Think a win could be important on Sunday. Instill a bit of belief in the players that they can beat Dublin. Won't matter if they lose obviously but a win will be a big morale booster.

Great to have these games back to look forward to, gutting we can't go to them.

In the last 5 league outings Kerry's record v Dublin has been W1 D2 L2.

So they have held their own relatively speaking v Dublin in the league in recent years.
    But have failed to make an impact.

So it's not as if they have missed the opportunity for instilling belief or morale boosting over the last few years in the league, but it has done them a fat lot of good in the championship.

So they have held their own relatively speaking v Dublin in the league in recent years.

So it's not as if they have missed the opportunity for instilling belief or morale boosting over the last few years in the league, but it has done them a fat lot of good in the championship.

I dont think 1 win in 5 is holding their own tbh. It's a poor record. One of those draws was a last kick of the game free by Clifford which they were lucky to come out of a draw with so they've far from held their own.

Of course a win would be a morale booster for the team. But not a big deal if they lose as I dont think anyone is expecting a Kerry win on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dobman88 wrote: »
    I dont think 1 win in 5 is holding their own tbh. It's a poor record. One of those draws was a last kick of the game free by Clifford which they were lucky to come out of a draw with so they've far from held their own.

Of course a win would be a morale booster for the team. But not a big deal if they lose as I dont think anyone is expecting a Kerry win on Sunday

Well true, one win in five is not great but it's better than they or anyone else has done v Dublin in the championship since 2014 so I don't think a league win v Dublin is any huge gauge for the championship.

The reality is that no matter what state of mind a win or anything else puts Kerry in after this weekend they and everyone else are streets behind Dublin.

I was always a fan of the idea that the likes of Kerry and Mayo were never that far away from beating Dublin, and that was based on a number of All Ireland finals and Semi finals between 2013 and 2017.

However looking at the 2019 replay and the 2020 final I convinced that the only way anyone beats Dublin is if there are a set of circumstances that hamper Dublin.

The prefect example of this is the 2019 first game.
    The closest anyone has come to beating Dublin since 2017 has been when Dublin were playing with a man less for most of the game.
    And even then they were not beaten.

So no amount of morale boosts, or hunger or other intangibles is going to make a blind bit of difference.

Well true, one win in five is not great but it's better than they or anyone else has done v Dublin in the championship since 2014 so I don't think a league win v Dublin is any huge gauge for the championship.

The reality is that no matter what state of mind a win or anything else puts Kerry in after this weekend they and everyone else are streets behind Dublin.

I was always a fan of the idea that the likes of Kerry and Mayo were never that far away from beating Dublin, and that was based on a number of All Ireland finals and Semi finals between 2013 and 2017.

However looking at the 2019 replay and the 2020 final I convinced that the only way anyone beats Dublin is if there are a set of circumstances that hamper Dublin.

The prefect example of this is the 2019 first game.
    The closest anyone has come to beating Dublin since 2017 has been when Dublin were playing with a man less for most of the game.
    And even then they were not beaten.

So no amount of morale boosts, or hunger or other intangibles is going to make a blind bit of difference.

Oh right. That's a very defeatist attitude you have. Well, I think it will be a morale booster for the team if we win so I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I honestly think Kerry had the winning of that AI last year, but made a right mess of it v Cork. Tomas O'Se was rightly raging after it. Never saw him so annoyed.

As a Dub I kinda have been gearing up for the match tomorrow all week. Looking back at the 2001 games in Thurles etc. I had kind of forgotten what a great team Kerry had then. Miles ahead of Dublin talent wise yet somehow Dublin stayed with Kerry.

As for Dublin themselves these days I think the overall strength in depth of the squad is been chipped away at, as the years go by. All Kerry have to do is to be ready for a Dublin dip, and not be slipping up to other teams that they should be beating in this years championship.

In my head this league game will be treated very seriously by both sides. Thurles adds to the novelty of it as well.

Terrible pity there will no supporters at it.
    I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Good start from the Hurlers.
    1-5 to 0-2

Brilliant pressure from the backs.

Hopefully not a serious injury for Jack Barry.

Fitzgibbon looks comfortable with the kickouts. May I speak too soon

Slava Ukrainii

Morley caught bad for the goal. Goalie could have done a tad better as well went to ground too early should have acted more like a defender and hope someone else got to the goal line.
    Great point by Paudie Clifford and another one by Paudie O Shea good reply to goal

Slava Ukrainii

And the most worrying part is this is pretty much our Championship team, whereas Dublin are only at half strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Is Tom O' Sullivan injured?

The change to the advantage rule has cost us 1-1 already

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Looks like it's same as it ever was (well for the last number of years), Dublin too good, Kerry not good enough.

Defensively we have been exposed badly, over and over.

In attack you wouldn't even think this was the same team as last week, looks like we are too isolated or when we do have the team push up collectively Dublin are already set.

Physically it's the old cliché of men against boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

We won't win anything under Keane

He should have been out after pathetic display against Cork.

We are hopelessly set up. Zero defense

Advertisement