Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Fecking eejit he was. Had look like a bold kid at school. Knew he was in trouble as soon as he did it.

A draw leaves things bubbling nicely until they meet again, don't know where, don't know when....

Croke Park no doubt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Papering over the defensive cracks of course, but at least we showed some resilience to battle back on the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    No doubt there was contact, and technically a foul, but nothing near a drag, certainly nothing to merit the apparent deathly agony shown

Go away out of that it was a move worthy of WWF. Inexperience on O'Connor's part. Philly's error was softer but more stupid considering he is an experienced player and how giving a point away would have been ok.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thought it was outside the box for our pen but will take it

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

No. He actually punched the ball out and con went down holding his face and rolling around like a girl

Lol. So was the Kerry penalty valid? Near identical, or did the Kerry player deserve an Oscar after going down holding his face and rolling around like a girl?

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Thought it was outside the box for our pen but will take it

If you look at the reply from behind the goals it was clearly inside. Philly timed it well, one second earlier no penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

As much as I admire David Moran, Kerry were more fluid. The defence in the second half were a lot tighter all players were on really.

Something has to be done about Holding possession, Dublin are awful to watch when they are at it. Kerry managed it well when they were at it.

It’s time for him to hang the boots up. He’s had his day.

As much as hate to say it you are probably right playing wise. Pace used to get him out of trouble that's not the same. Is still a great fella to have in the dressing room to bring on the younger Dublin fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Lol. So was the Kerry penalty valid? Near identical, or did the Kerry player deserve an Oscar after going down holding his face and rolling around like a girl?

Stephen O Brien didn't put his hands up or try for the amateur dramatics.

Kerry defender got the ball. Philly didn't even bother trying for the ball.

Scarlet for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Go away out of that it was a move worthy of WWF. Inexperience on O'Connor's part. Philly's error was softer but more stupid considering he is an experienced player and how giving a point away would have been ok.

As I said, technically a foul. Amazed he somehow played on given the severity of the challenge. The granting of the penalty had a miraculous effect on his recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Papering over the defensive cracks of course, but at least we showed some resilience to battle back on the double.

Good result considering everything that happened. Lads stuck at it. First time in years that Dublin lost a 7 point lead. In a way it's much better result for Kerry than Dublin. Kerry have a problem to solve in the backs buts it.a structural issue not a player problem IMO.

Dublin conceeded 18 points from.play scored 4 goals and failed to win the match.

Slava Ukrainii

mystic86 wrote: »
    If you look at the reply from behind the goals it was clearly inside. Philly timed it well, one second earlier no penalty

It's immaterial under the new rules it was a penalty even if it was 5 meters outside the box. Technically it should have been a black card as well AFAIK

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Shane12 wrote: »
    Something has to be done about Holding possession, Dublin are awful to watch when they are at it. Kerry managed it well when they were at it.

Just because a team is excellent at something doesn't mean that the rules have to be changed to counteract that brilliance. That's often the twisted logic of the GAA when it comes to rule changes and it is nonsensical.

Fair enough it doesn't look pretty and certainly isn't exciting for a neutral, but it's part of the game and there is nothing wrong with this game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Amazing the difference pushing up and marking your man instead of space made. Its something we were all taught as young fellas. Happy enough with the draw, if you would have told me at half time that we would make up the 6 pt deficit and hold Dublin to 4 scores (1 from Play) in the second half i wouldn't have believed you. The bench is looking strong and full of impact these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Same As wrote:
    Fair enough it doesn't look pretty and certainly isn't exciting for a neutral, but it's part of the game and there is nothing wrong with this game management.

Agreed. They will be kicking themselves they didn't press on a bit more considering the result in the end. Easy to say in hindsight. Those last few minutes it was as if Dublin had 2 extra men. Serious patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

I honestly think the only thing that will beat Dublin this year would be their own complacency. Signs of that today in coughing up a 7 point lead, but trying to temper my own enthusiasm as they were only at two-thirds strength this afternoon. They're a different animal altogether in championship. Physically, tactically & collectively they are still far ahead of us and the rest I think.

Encouraging for us today to have the belief and fight to get back into the game when it looked to have gotten away from us.

It's the hope that kills you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think that draw technically qualifies us for the Semi Final (avoids a relegation playoff).

Kerry 3
    Dublin 3
    Galway 2
    Roscommon 0

A Dublin win means Galway can't catch us.
    A Draw means Kerry beat Galway on Head to Head.
    A Galway win leaves them on 4 and Kerry and Dublin on 3 but our score difference is superior to Dublin's by 13 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I think that draw technically qualifies us for the Semi Final (avoids a relegation playoff).

Kerry 3
    Dublin 3
    Galway 2
    Roscommon 0

A Dublin win means Galway can't catch us.
    A Draw means Kerry beat Galway on Head to Head.
    A Galway win leaves them on 4 and Kerry and Dublin on 3 but our score difference is superior to Dublin's by 13 points.

Yes, even if Galway beat Dublin, Roscommon would have to beat us by at least 14 points for us to lose out.

Yes, even if Galway beat Dublin, Roscommon would have to beat us by at least 14 points for us to lose out.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

Slava Ukrainii

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Agreed. They will be kicking themselves they didn't press on a bit more considering the result in the end. Easy to say in hindsight. Those last few minutes it was as if Dublin had 2 extra men. Serious patience.

The same thing was happening in rugby union, and they brought in rules to eliminate this.

Question, is the advantage rule finished now?

• Advertisement

Tl

Question, is the advantage rule finished now?

While DM goal there may have been a case where the ref could think there was no way an advantage would accrue the complete opposit was the case with Sean O Shea situation. There was open country ahead of him after he broke through the jersey pull.

Slava Ukrainii

Thought the keeper did well after a shaky few sickouts at the start, he was solid after that. Nothing he could do about the goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Very impressed with Kerry’s fitness levels for a team only back training 4 weeks.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Very impressed with Kerry’s fitness levels for a team only back training 4 weeks.

Yeah, Kerry had more go in them than Dublin as the game was drawing (no pun intended) to a close.

The more I think of it was similar to the first drawn game 20 years ago in Thurles.

In that the better team on paper were coasting by 7/8 points up and for some inexplicable reason switched off. Then got clawed back by the fitter more athletic team.

It seems Moran likes nothing more than taking the ball into contact and coming out the right side of it, even if the success rate is 50/50.

As a supporter I absolutely hate when he does it.

He might like it, but it's the wrong thing to do, and if he is continuing to do it he either has not been told strongly enough to stop doing it (mgmt at fault) or they have and he does it anyway as he likes it and he sees it as his thing (his fault).

Either way it has to stop, so drop him if it continues.

Even besides this his fitness is terrible and he is holding us back by being so pedestrian. I think it's time to drop him either way, unfortunately for him. Will Keane do it? I doubt it, but maybe he'll surprise us.

Thought the keeper did well after a shaky few sickouts at the start, he was solid after that. Nothing he could do about the goals.

I taught he could have stood up longer for the first goal risk CoC going past him and making him look stupid but it would have been the right thing to do. There was something samml about the third goal but at the end of the day it was bad defensive errors that contributed to all the goals. I cannot see the fascination of backs diving in to try and disposse an attacker with the risks involved

On DM I think at this stage he would be better coming on for the last 20-25 minutes. He could even go FF for a few minutes now and again when he comes on. He would be good for a mark probably or two.

O e good thing was PK was willing to take him off early in the second half when it was obvious his pace was gone

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

mystic86 wrote: »
    It seems Moran likes nothing more than taking the ball into contact and coming out the right side of it, even if the success rate is 50/50.

As a supporter I absolutely hate when he does it.

He might like it, but it's the wrong thing to do, and if he is continuing to do it he either has not been told strongly enough to stop doing it (mgmt at fault) or they have and he does it anyway as he likes it and he sees it as his thing (his fault).

Either way it has to stop, so drop him if it continues.

Even besides this his fitness is terrible and he is holding us back by being so pedestrian. I think it's time to drop him either way, unfortunately for him. Will Keane do it? I doubt it, but maybe he'll surprise us.

Im Normally a big advocate for his inclusion, but on top of the faults listed above! His foot passing was very poor today. I'm hoping with more training and games his form will improve, it'll probably take the older players like Moran that bit longer to get there, as opposed to allot of the young fellas who look to be jumping outta their skin already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Learned nothing today. Same old positives. Same old negatives. David Moran shocking, again. Tommy Walsh did absolutely nothing. He cant even do what hes in there to do which is win high ball cos hes behind his man and cant get through and he offers fcuk all else.

Full back line, Murphy and O Connor all roasted by Con. Hes an incredible player but that's 5 county players made look like fools and its not good enough. Tbf to Murphy, it's a rare mistake so would give him a pass for it.

Penalty is a penalty, even with Cons play acting. Every ref is gonna give that, you just cant put your hand over the shoulder even though I think he may have won the ball.

Gavin Crowley must be the lightest number 6 to ever play the game.

Clifford can't win us an all Ireland on his own. Defence is shockingly light and leaky, despite the 2nd half. The damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

dobman88 wrote: »
    Learned nothing today. Same old positives. Same old negatives. David Moran shocking, again. Tommy Walsh did absolutely nothing. He cant even do what hes in there to do which is win high ball cos hes behind his man and cant get through and he offers fcuk all else.

Full back line, Murphy and O Connor all roasted by Con. Hes an incredible player but that's 5 county players made look like fools and its not good enough. Tbf to Murphy, it's a rare mistake so would give him a pass for it.

Penalty is a penalty, even with Cons play acting. Every ref is gonna give that, you just cant put your hand over the shoulder even though I think he may have won the ball.

Gavin Crowley must be the lightest number 6 to ever play the game.

Clifford can't win us an all Ireland on his own. Defence is shockingly light and leaky, despite the 2nd half. The damage was done.

To be fair to Tommy, he knocked the ball down from the high ball for O Brien to win the penalty. He also took a bit of focus off Clifford when he came on and opened up the play for Clifford to score. I think that’s the reason he was brought on.
    We actually improved as a team when he came on. He is a role player.
    There will be games where his role is required and games which it is not. He will never be a starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Forge83 wrote: »
    To be fair to Tommy, he knocked the ball down from the high ball for O Brien to win the penalty. He also took a bit of focus off Clifford when he came on and opened up the play for Clifford to score. I think that’s the reason he was brought on.
    We actually improved as a team when he came on. He is a role player.
    There will be games where his role is required and games which it is not. He will never be a starter.

I don't want to get into slagging any player cos obviously I want them all to do well so I'll respectfully disagree with you. He knocked down a ball in a half of football. That's his highlight reel. Not a go at you but christ, that's incredibly poor.

Advertisement