Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Very impressed with Kerry’s fitness levels for a team only back training 4 weeks.

And add to that, they were playing a team training during the lockdown. Impressive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Main takeaway from today's game, how absolutely shìte are Galway. Utterly destroyed by pretty much the same Kerry team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

dobman88 wrote: »
    Main takeaway from today's game, how absolutely shìte are Galway. Utterly destroyed by pretty much the same Kerry team.

Rather how much better Kerry and Dublin are. Galway could still be a top 5 or 6 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And still Galway have beat Roscommon by 6 points, Dublin only beat them by 9. I think Galway were caught by Kerry's play last week. It will be interesting to see how they get on next week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

munster87 wrote: »
    And add to that, they were playing a team training during the lockdown. Impressive ;)
    That’s my point, unreal fitness levels to compete and outperform with a team caught training during lockdown.

• Advertisement

munster87 wrote: »
    Rather how much better Kerry and Dublin are. Galway could still be a top 5 or 6 team.

Fair point

A fair summary of the new advantage rule imo. I don't think anybody wants to see blatant diving come into the game on a regular basis but fact is if Dara goes down today he gets the penalty and a black for Dublin. What a stupid rule

https://twitter.com/john_mc_grath/status/1396457961271201798?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

And how ordinary would Kerry be without David Clifford? Bar he and Sean O'Shea, what other forward would get on the Dubs team? And as for David Moran...

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

MfMan wrote: »
    And how ordinary would Kerry be without David Clifford? Bar he and Sean O'Shea, what other forward would get on the Dubs team? And as for David Moran...

Hardly a groundbreaking observation to predict that a team would be worse without their best players... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Hardly a groundbreaking observation to predict that a team would be worse without their best players... :confused:

Yes, but take D Clifford out of it and Kerry IMO would be very little clear of the chasing pack. Not good to disproportionately rely on one player so much.

• Advertisement

:pac: I dont get the point but yes I agree, Kerry would be a lot worse off without Clifford and O Shea. Not sure what you're trying to say tbh.

How ordinary would Dublin without Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny or Con O Callaghan

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

:pac: I dont get the point but yes I agree, Kerry would be a lot worse off without Clifford and O Shea. Not sure what you're trying to say tbh.

We should drop the 2 boys to show we can win an All Ireland without them. That'll show the doubters

Watched it on the Sunday Game, three of the goals were really really soft giveaways.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Why is Jack Barry continually on the bench does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Why is Jack Barry continually on the bench does anyone know?

Picked up an injury. That's why Adrian Spillane was wearing 9 when he came on.

I was just surprised Spillane wasn't on the bench in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ArielAtom wrote: »
    That’s my point, unreal fitness levels to compete and outperform with a team caught training during lockdown.

The downside of giving dublin a good game - you have to suffer this sort of sh*te for weeks afterwards from their fans...

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Picked up an injury. That's why Adrian Spillane was wearing 9 when he came on.

I was just surprised Spillane wasn't on the bench in the first place.

He's often in and out of the team and regularly not starting from what I can see though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't want to get into slagging any player cos obviously I want them all to do well so I'll respectfully disagree with you. He knocked down a ball in a half of football. That's his highlight reel. Not a go at you but christ, that's incredibly poor.

I watched bits of the Sunday game last night, and their analysis was that Tommy Walsh caused havoc in the Dublin defence for the second half. At least that's what I got from it anyway.
    It's not that he had a great game. But his presence in there was effective enough to allow Kerry to take some form of control in the game i.e. gave a little more room for the other forwards to thrive.

I watched bits of the Sunday game last night, and their analysis was that Tommy Walsh caused havoc in the Dublin defence for the second half. At least that's what I got from it anyway.
    It's not that he had a great game. But his presence in there was effective enough to allow Kerry to take some form of control in the game i.e. gave a little more room for the other forwards to thrive.

Just cos an analyst says it means nothing. Its just their opinion. I prefer to watch the game myself and see what's going on instead of listening to analysts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

sweet jesus ive heard it all now... my take on it is that the Kerry management like the previous kerry management have no time for the Spillanes... why i dont know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Just cos an analyst says it means nothing. Its just their opinion. I prefer to watch the game myself and see what's going on instead of listening to analysts

From watching the game on TG4 TW set up about 1-1, the break for the penalty and a catch and hand pass for an easy point for Murphy i think it was. But I think he did attract allot of the attention of their sweeper in fairness to him. He was shadowing him everywhere. So that probably freed up space for the lads. I still think he's a major threat at ff, as he forces the opposition to react.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    From watching the game on TG4 TW set up about 1-1, the break for the penalty and a catch and hand pass for an easy point for Murphy i think it was. But I think he did attract allot of the attention of their sweeper in fairness to him. He was shadowing him everywhere. So that probably freed up space for the lads. I still think he's a major threat at ff, as he forces the opposition to react.

Yep. He had a couple of good moments, the tap down, the 1-2 with Murphy and the 1-2 with O Shea around the 45 which eventually led to a point. All fairly basic stuff that you expect any decent club player to complete.

He is in there to win the high, long balls and apart from the scrappy tap down for O Brien, i dont think he won another. The defence dealt with him well and he offered nothing else cos he isn't mobile enough. He was decent enough when he came in against Galway but we all know how abysmal Galway were and the game was over.

Tommy has been a great servant to Kerry but i think his time is up. The big man in FF has been tried and dealt with countless times before.

Yep. He had a couple of good moments, the tap down, the 1-2 with Murphy and the 1-2 with O Shea around the 45 which eventually led to a point. All fairly basic stuff that you expect any decent club player to complete.

He is in there to win the high, long balls and apart from the scrappy tap down for O Brien, i dont think he won another. The defence dealt with him well and he offered nothing else cos he isn't mobile enough. He was decent enough when he came in against Galway but we all know how abysmal Galway were and the game was over.

Tommy has been a great servant to Kerry but i think his time is up. The big man in FF has been tried and dealt with countless times before.

Some of the long balls in are awful these days tho in fairness. Massive kicks away up in the clouds taking an age to drop, then theres a bunch of players under it all jumping from a standing start. The last guy I remember who consistently delivered the "right" type of ball in, was Thomas O'Shea, a diagonal driven kick travelling at a lower trajectory, if im making sense. It allowed the attacker to attack the kick and field it in front of his man, or break it easy if the pass was over hit. It'll be interesting to see if its a tactic they persist with. He can't get around the middle anymore so its ff or bust for Tommy id say. I'm still convinced he has something to offer from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

What'a the story with Eoghan O'Brien from Churchill? O would have thought he'd be an option as a backup keeper rather than going back to Brendan Kealy? btw i felt Kealy should have been the number 1 for the last few years but think it's a bit of a backward step

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Some of the long balls in are awful these days tho in fairness. Massive kicks away up in the clouds taking an age to drop, then theres a bunch of players under it all jumping from a standing start. The last guy I remember who consistently delivered the "right" type of ball in, was Thomas O'Shea, a diagonal driven kick travelling at a lower trajectory, if im making sense. It allowed the attacker to attack the kick and field it in front of his man, or break it easy if the pass was over hit. It'll be interesting to see if its a tactic they persist with. He can't get around the middle anymore so its ff or bust for Tommy id say. I'm still convinced he has something to offer from the bench.

Yeah that's a fair point. He can only deal with what's delivered into him. I just think the game has evolved beyond launch it onto the big man. We've seen great dividends from quick, sharp ball delivered into forwards on the move who can kick decent scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Tommy had a great game against Galway when the lads out the field had all day to kick in nice ball to him.

Dublin put massive pressure on the kickers or dropped deep in front of him to prevent effective ball into him. The fact that he still manages to lay off 1-2 was pretty good off some ugly ball to be honest.

It shouldn't be plan A but it's not the worst option to have especially with the Mark in play now.

The most effective change we made was bringing Ronan Buckley and Adrian Spillane in alongside Diarmuid in the middle. We had 3 lads who can field, track back and have the pace to stick with the Dublin counter attacks. They also harried really well when Dublin tried to play out from the back. Kept Dublin penned in during that 3rd quarter when we brought the gap back from 7 points to 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

TW also doesn't have to stand directly in front of goal either. Cud move the sweeper around by going near/far side of goals or even 25m from goal if we under pressure further out.

The big man might be a tactic going out of fashion but a bit of imagination can make it more effective too.

TW also doesn't have to stand directly on front of goal either. Cud move the sweeper around by going near/far side of goals or even 25m from goal of we under pressure further out.

The big man might be a tactic going out of fashion but a bit of imagination can make it more effective too.

Very true, allot better then just planting a big fella on the edge of the square. It also forces teams to react and have to think about something else for a few moments anyway. I remember going to see a match years ago. The dubs came down to play kerry in a challenge match for the opening of a pitch in South kerry. I guess they had a point to prove and even in a challenge match they were going hard enough at it. We threw big Mick quirk in full forward near the end. He did nothing, but it seriously upset the dubs.the roaring and f ing and blinding that was going on try to get midfielders back on him everytime we were in possession or had a free was comical.

• Advertisement

To beat the Dubs in the championship, Jack Barry has to be playing. He's the real key, the foundation their attack stems from. He's a huge presence in the centre, v Dublin in particular, and they do fear him. Fenton in particular fears him, whether he'd admit it or not

Advertisement