Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Tadhg Morley straight red card.

Disgraceful from Joe McQuillan. Murtagh slipped into the tackle. Morley was at chest height. Nowhere close to a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Rossies really fighting hard, a bit like Tyrone levels at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

We need a full back.

Moran should be put in there.

Would give good distribution and solid under the high ball.

Paul Murphy then at CB.

We have plenty of midfielders and no full back

We had a converted midfielder in full forward in Donaghy. Time to try it in full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

We need a full back.

Moran should be put in there.

Would give good distribution and solid under the high ball.

Paul Murphy then at CB.

We have plenty of midfielders and no full back

We had a converted midfielder in full forward in Donaghy. Time to try it in full back.

Moran would be an utter disaster at full-back. His lack of mobility and poor tackling ability means he would be beaten like a drum there. Absolute nuts idea imo. I was disappointed Spillane or even Joe O'Connor wasn't brought on sooner in midfield.

Sloppy performance overall - partly due to the lads rested plus the fact that the chance of ending up in a relegation lay-off was tiny. Far too many cheap turnovers against an ordinary enough Roscommon side. I thought it was worrisome how many cheap Roscommon scores got i.e lads in space/lads not being closed down. Would still have major worries about the defence.

Picking up no injuries was probably the priority.

None of the understudies really did all that much in terms of challenging the incumbents.

I'd have Stephen O'Brien as my man-of-the-match - got through a world of work throughout the game.

I would expect Kerry to appeal the red and for it to be over-turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Moran at full back!?!? Imagine likes of O Callaghan running at him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Surely there has to be more in the club scene in Kerry than this. Why is Peter Keane not trying to break in new fellas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

What was the final score lads from Roscommon match? I missed it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

A funny auld game, not sure PK will have learned allot. Hard to tell how seriously they took the game. Anyhow a win is a win I suppose.

Moran would be a pantomime at full back tbh. He has the turning circle of an artic compared to what he would be up against. He can get away with it at midfield, but oh god not at full back, the Morley sending off looked harsh alright, it was hard to see if he made contact from the angles available. SOB looked lively all game but still not back to his incisive best. Still to many problems at the back to mention.

What was the final score lads from Roscommon match? I missed it today.

Roscommon 1-12 kerry 2-15

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Keane is trying to get Moran as match fit as possible. He will definitely be starting for championship IMO. Similar with Paudie Clifford he is getting as much game time as possible with a view to championship.

I think it unlikely that Morley's red card will be overturned. It not that it was a definite red card offence it that the ref made the decision and his opinion will be deferred to I think

Moran would not last 5 minutes at FB, agility and reflexes are too slow. Paul Murphy has one serious flaw at CB, he has neither the physicality or the real toughness for the position.....mind you I cannot pick any definite player with the skillset for the position.

To beat Dublin you need to extract a price from them for double tagging DC. Sean OSe is a definite started and I think Paudie Clifford and Killian Spillane on present form should start as well. Unless you hold one back as an impact sub.
    The price you need to extract is control of the middle third. To do that you need to get strong physical players into this sector to win ball. We have no marquee top class midfielder.

No team will best or even really compete with Dublin playing a sweeper. If you invite Dublin onto you they will punish you. They love to play football in your half of the field.

Fitzgibbon is impressing me on the kickouts. He is much more definate on the short ones. If the option is there he takes it and is always watching for it.

FB is a conundrum but Morley is about as good an option as we have at present. The biggest problem is we seem to have no leaders in the backs. There is no organisation in the backs and nobody calls the shots back there. Peter Crowley used to do that but neither PM or TM have put there hands up to take over that role since.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Moran can be frustrating but none of the others has anywhere near his talent, when he's good he's by far the best we have. Many fans would have Moran in the top 5 midfielders in the country, they'd struggle to name the other lads in the reckoning.

It'll be interesting to see what team he puts out against Tyrone now. Crunch time will be fast approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Thought Diarmuid O Connor did well today.

munster87 wrote: »
    Thought Diarmuid O Connor did well today.

Ya I think he scored three points two of them fisted and at critical points in the match. He lasted the match well as well even considering it was Roscommon.
    I think it would be an option to start himself, Barry and Moran with Spillane coming on for Moran 10-15 minutes into the second half. You have Paul O Se for the last 5-10 minutes. With teams double tagging DC it would allow you that platform in the middle third of the field. Add in SOB and SoS and you would have 5 physically strong players on that area four of them with decent fielding ability.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

I hate to be banging the poor defence drum again but we are in serious serious trouble. Our forwards are only papering over the massive cracks there and we will be found out in the All Ireland semi if we get there. If they can’t hold it together for the lower intensity league then what chance do they have come championship.
    Gavin Crowley is the only dependable defender we have, consistently ok which is really scraping the barrel. Gavin White and Tom O Sullivan with a bit more game time are adequate in defence and good in attack.
    Morley,Foley,Murphy and Begley are not upto it defensively. Murphy and Begley great going forward but any strong athletic forward is salivating at the thought of having any of them marking them. A team could do enough to win by simply putting two bigger men on them and just keep lobbing high balls for marks, they are a massive mismatch to most good forwards. We surely have a prick of a defender somewhere in the county ala Johnny Copper or Philly McMahon? Surely it’s worth taking the chance of converting a midfielder or a forward into a defender?

I see a few people still mentioning Moran to start. I wonder do they believe he deserves to start because of how good he was in the past or just that PK will definitely pick him. Can anyone tell me what he contributes outside of some kick passing and over and back hand passing? He contributes nothing defensively, he nearly gives the opposition an extra man due to his lack of mobility hence why we have to play a third man at midfield. It’s absolute madness. On the positive at least he has stopped kicking massive wides.
    Diarmuid O Connor is our first choice midfielder hands down.
    The second spot is still wide open but a fit Jack Barry has to be pursued to nullify Brian Fenton if we can somehow get to the final.

Fitzgibbon has been excellent on the kick starts. Very assured. Would give Ryan the game against Tyrone if fit but would say Fitzgibbon deserves the championship start as of now.

Forwards seem to be clear cut enough depending on PKs strategy.
    O Brien/O Shea/Moynihan/P Clifford/D Clifford.
    The last spot between Brosnan, Spillane or a 3rd midfielder or sweeper.
    Geaney no score from play against Roscommon. Roscommon! Enough said. People giving out about Tommy W but with 14 men he won some tough ball with two markers which helped us hold possession and see out the game. He seems to create extra space for Clifford which can’t be a bad thing.

In short, we need a new Seamus Moynihan or we are in the ****.
    The rest of what I said is nearly irrelevant if we don’t find one.

We need more than that, I would say 2 or 3 top defenders needed. They are clearly not there or the selectors would have found them. Must be the coaching at issue, as in coaching at a younger age. Can't see Sam coming home this year, unfortunately. A shame, as we have such exciting players at the other end of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Gooch and McConville touched on the issue of defenders on league Sunday last night. When the blanket defence became the norm, the need for 1v1 defenders wasn't required because you just had to be able to play a system and mind your zone. Now, with football becoming more open again, 1v1 defenders are needed but lads in those positions haven't been coached that way.

I haven't given it much thought but they make an interesting point. It could take time to filter down the levels for coaches to start teaching lads how to defend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Forge83 wrote: »
    I hate to be banging the poor defence drum again but we are in serious serious trouble. Our forwards are only papering over the massive cracks there and we will be found out in the All Ireland semi if we get there. If they can’t hold it together for the lower intensity league then what chance do they have come championship.
    Gavin Crowley is the only dependable defender we have, consistently ok which is really scraping the barrel. Gavin White and Tom O Sullivan with a bit more game time are adequate in defence and good in attack.
    Morley,Foley,Murphy and Begley are not upto it defensively. Murphy and Begley great going forward but any strong athletic forward is salivating at the thought of having any of them marking them. A team could do enough to win by simply putting two bigger men on them and just keep lobbing high balls for marks, they are a massive mismatch to most good forwards. We surely have a prick of a defender somewhere in the county ala Johnny Copper or Philly McMahon? Surely it’s worth taking the chance of converting a midfielder or a forward into a defender?

I see a few people still mentioning Moran to start. I wonder do they believe he deserves to start because of how good he was in the past or just that PK will definitely pick him. Can anyone tell me what he contributes outside of some kick passing and over and back hand passing? He contributes nothing defensively, he nearly gives the opposition an extra man due to his lack of mobility hence why we have to play a third man at midfield. It’s absolute madness. On the positive at least he has stopped kicking massive wides.
    Diarmuid O Connor is our first choice midfielder hands down.
    The second spot is still wide open but a fit Jack Barry has to be pursued to nullify Brian Fenton if we can somehow get to the final.

Fitzgibbon has been excellent on the kick starts. Very assured. Would give Ryan the game against Tyrone if fit but would say Fitzgibbon deserves the championship start as of now.

Forwards seem to be clear cut enough depending on PKs strategy.
    O Brien/O Shea/Moynihan/P Clifford/D Clifford.
    The last spot between Brosnan, Spillane or a 3rd midfielder or sweeper.
    Geaney no score from play against Roscommon. Roscommon! Enough said. People giving out about Tommy W but with 14 men he won some tough ball with two markers which helped us hold possession and see out the game. He seems to create extra space for Clifford which can’t be a bad thing.

In short, we need a new Seamus Moynihan or we are in the ****.
    The rest of what I said is nearly irrelevant if we don’t find one.

i agree and disagree with you..

i think Foley should be persisted with for full back...
    i would put tom sullivan centre back..
    g white and g crowley on the wings
    paul murphy has been a great servant but might be time for him to be moved on... tadhg morley is too slow and my opinions on brian beaglaioch are well known here..
    midfield jack barry and d moran.. im not convinced by D o'Connor yet... as bad as moran can be... he is a bit of a leader..
    forwards much easier.. clifford x 2, o'brien, o'shea, moynihan and imo it will be an absolute disgrace if killian spillane isnt on from the start come chamionship..
    t walsh has a role to play.. while he is not the force of old... doubt if too many fullbacks would fancy seeing him walking towards them at any stage in a game

paul murphy has been a great servant but might be time for him to be moved on... tadhg morley is too slow and my opinions on brian beaglaioch are well known here..
    midfield jack barry and d moran.. im not convinced by D o'Connor yet... as bad as moran can be... he is a bit of a leader..
    forwards much easier.. clifford x 2, o'brien, o'shea, moynihan and imo it will be an absolute disgrace if killian spillane isnt on from the start come chamionship..
    t walsh has a role to play.. while he is not the force of old... doubt if too many fullbacks would fancy seeing him walking towards them at any stage in a game

Definitely worth trying O Sullivan at centre back. He has the mobility and skill set but he is a bit on the light side...

Foley is just too light for a taller guy playing full back. He also cannot field or defend a high ball. I can’t figure him out at all. He was a top class sprinter in his youth but shows none of that athleticism playing football. I wonder what Jason McGahan has done with him to improve him physically as I have seen no improvement in him over the last 3/4 years. It can’t be that hard to throw 4/5kg of muscle mass on him over the winter. Same can be said for Tom O Sullivan and a few others.

On Jason Mcgahan, how long does a paid professional get to show some results before his position is questioned? I’m not seeing many of our winning minor teams players progressing much physically unless they are doing it themselves. When you see what Joe O Connor did for Limerick physically, I think it’s a massive loss that Kerry football didn’t go after him seriously.

Spillane would be my 6th forward also but PK doesn’t seem to fancy him. Same as Graham O Sullivan yesterday, got skinned twice and taken off. Some players get 10 chances, others only 1.

Is Moran being a leader enough though? Would he start at midfield for any of the other big teams. I’m fairly convinced on Diarmuid O Connor. He is strong all around, not dominant anywhere, but well rounded. Can field, defend, run and score.

I was talking to a few club footballers earlier today for the first time in a while. I mentioned about converting a midfielder to a full back or centre back and all 3 suggested Liam Kearney..... opinions?

• Advertisement

^^^^

Liam was the first one that sprung to my mind for full back but I haven't seen enough of him so didn't mention it. He does seem to have ethe physical attributes required though.

Definitely worth trying O Sullivan at centre back. He has the mobility and skill set but he is a bit on the light side...

Foley is just too light for a taller guy playing full back. He also cannot field or defend a high ball. I can’t figure him out at all. He was a top class sprinter in his youth but shows none of that athleticism playing football. I wonder what Jason McGahan has done with him to improve him physically as I have seen no improvement in him over the last 3/4 years. It can’t be that hard to throw 4/5kg of muscle mass on him over the winter. Same can be said for Tom O Sullivan and a few others.

On Jason Mcgahan, how long does a paid professional get to show some results before his position is questioned? I’m not seeing many of our winning minor teams players progressing much physically unless they are doing it themselves. When you see what Joe O Connor did for Limerick physically, I think it’s a massive loss that Kerry football didn’t go after him seriously.

Spillane would be my 6th forward also but PK doesn’t seem to fancy him. Same as Graham O Sullivan yesterday, got skinned twice and taken off. Some players get 10 chances, others only 1.

Is Moran being a leader enough though? Would he start at midfield for any of the other big teams. I’m fairly convinced on Diarmuid O Connor. He is strong all around, not dominant anywhere, but well rounded. Can field, defend, run and score.

I was talking to a few club footballers earlier today for the first time in a while. I mentioned about converting a midfielder to a full back or centre back and all 3 suggested Liam Kearney..... opinions?

when dublin won in 2011... 21 year old rory o carroll was fullback... by no means a giant... Ger Brennan was centre back.. again far from a giant....

yes i cannot understand why joe o'connor hasnt been pursued strongly by kerry. he lives 10mins from Currans... actuallly makes zero sense if he hasnt...

Moran drives me insane with the stupid things he has done in the past couple of years... but i would def start him...

Havent seen this Kearney chap play...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

when dublin won in 2011... 21 year old rory o carroll was fullback... by no means a giant... Ger Brennan was centre back.. again far from a giant....

yes i cannot understand why joe o'connor hasnt been pursued strongly by kerry. he lives 10mins from Currans... actuallly makes zero sense if he hasnt...

Moran drives me insane with the stupid things he has done in the past couple of years... but i would def start him...

Re Joe O Connor he was told to pick between either Limerick or Kerry and he went with Limerick. At the time it was mental he was even giev the option to do both at the time.

But now there's no reason, other than he doesn't want to, for him to come back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hobsonbulmer

In terms of effectiveness, Rory O'Carroll was the definition of a giant. Could (and did) hold off any forward with one arm. Never tried to do anything flashy - but strong as an ox.

Ger Brennan would up there as one of my least favourite players of all time. He was mean, nasty and invariably late (and got away with murder) - but he was hard as nails.

Our problem is that we don't have any giants and we don't have any sticky players who could be described as hard as nails.

CB are born not made in the present game. there is no way I be putting a lad in CB that cannot command a place on the Team on his own merit. Keraney would want to be an option at MF to consider him at CB. He is 4-5 choice. I actually think GC is about the best option at present.

On Spillane I can see PK reason for wanting Killian Spillane coming on. He is free scoring. Just when SoS and DC are getting tiered you bring him on and suddenly the opposition have 3 lads well capable of taking a score. It something if you are ever managing a team you have to factor in the impact of a sub when he comes on when there is plenty of space. Compare that to bring on a few what could basically be runners who cover ground for you.

Slava Ukrainii

Dropping Murphy would be a ridiculous at this stage. Hes one of the best all round defenders we have. He just needs to be left at wing back. I think the half back line will end up being G Crowley at center back with G whyte and Murphy either side of him. Morley remains our best (least worst) option at FB, A fit in form TOS has to play in 1 corner with the other corner still up for grabs.

Fitzgibbon probably deserves his start in goal for championship at this stage. Moran will definitely play and DOC will be hard to drop on current form,

I've been very impressed with Paudie Clifford, he really gets involved and has the making of real quality player. Great to see him hand passing across for his brothers goal the other day rather then hand passing over the bar when a goal might be on, which is the safer option allot of players seen to opt for these days.

So SOS the 2 Clifford's and probably Darren Moynihan on work rate + SOB all start.I like killian spillane but I do think he does better coming off the bench when there's a little more space. Christ i hope PG returns to form but unfortunately he looks to be only going one way and is surviving on his reputation.

Interesting times but at least we have options these days.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Dropping Murphy would be a ridiculous at this stage. Hes one of the best all round defenders we have. He just needs to be left at wing back. I think the half back line will end up being G Crowley at center back with G whyte and Murphy either side of him. Morley remains our best (least worst) option at FB, A fit in form TOS has to play in 1 corner with the other corner still up for grabs.

Fitzgibbon probably deserves his start in goal for championship at this stage. Moran will definitely play and DOC will be hard to drop on current form,

I've been very impressed with Paudie Clifford, he really gets involved and has the making of real quality player. Great to see him hand passing across for his brothers goal the other day rather then hand passing over the bar when a goal might be on, which is the safer option allot of players seen to opt for these days.

So SOS the 2 Clifford's and probably Darren Moynihan on work rate + SOB all start.I like killian spillane but I do think he does better coming off the bench when there's a little more space. Christ i hope PG returns to form but unfortunately he looks to be only going one way and is surviving on his reputation.

Interesting times but at least we have options these days.

i think the issue with Paul G is that unfortunately for him he doesnt fit in with the other forwards... u have O'Shea Clifford x 2 and Moynihan that are more or less the same age and woulkd have played together up along... O'Brien is a clubmate of O'Shea so would have an understanding with him... Geaney is older so maybe not on the same wavelength as the other boys... which is one of the reasons i think Spillane would be better..

i think the issue with Paul G is that unfortunately for him he doesnt fit in with the other forwards... u have O'Shea Clifford x 2 and Moynihan that are more or less the same age and woulkd have played together up along... O'Brien is a clubmate of O'Shea so would have an understanding with him... Geaney is older so maybe not on the same wavelength as the other boys... which is one of the reasons i think Spillane would be better..

Yes all great teams have been the same or very close in age... :confused:

It doesn’t help either that he is being played as a half forward which he doesn’t have the legs for. Happy to have him as an impact sub for the full forward line when a bit of pace has gone out of a game. Same for Tommy Walsh and wishful thinking David Moran. Their mobility weaknesses aren’t as obvious later in games.

• Advertisement

The Guys only 30, its not like he's a 60 year man, and there's merit in his experience. But i get what your saying, Fitzgibbon, Morley, G Crowley, Spillanes x 2, SOS + SOB all grew up around the 1 town and played with the 1 District team, most of um were properly in school together so I understand your point.
    If Geaney is going to be played it has to be in the ff line somewhere, the last day he seemed to lack confidence when he won ball out the field and didn't want to turn and take on his man. Instead opting for 2 marks that were on the limit of his range. Poor Percentage shots, he got 1 and missed 1, 50/50 is not good enough at this stage.

Advertisement