Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Forge83 wrote: »
    Fitzgibbons kickouts and especially the fast pace of them suits our fast style of play perfectly. Ryan is a very good keeper and possibly a better shot stopper etc but think he should remain as back up for now as he is definitely a lot slower and more indecisive on kick outs.

My worry is that the pressure/intensity Fitzgibbon faced accross the four league games in terms of pressure on his kickout was a good bit below what I would describe as championship intensity - I thought Roscommon and Tyrone did an absolutely woeful job in putting Fitzgibbon under any serious pressure, the Galway performance was the worst Kerry goal-keepers performance in many a year and the pressure Dublin put him under was only a fraction of what he would face if he came up against championship Dublin. For me the goal-keeping position remains a big area of concern whether it's Ryan or Fitzgibbon in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Murphy dropped is surprising enough too. Captain and mister reliable. I said to the brother Mike Breen will be pushing him for his spot and it seems to have happened. He has done very well so far and is there on merit.

Has to be coming to last chance saloon territory for Moran. If theres a noticeable difference in the pace of the team compared to that v Tyrone his days could be numbered for starting. If he does well and proves me wrong, I'd be delighted.

Glad to see the full back line remain unchanged too. Not sure Morley has the pace or know how for it at this level but still a decent option to have coming on.

Based on his league performances, I would actually be worried in case he does do somehow do well and pulls a performance out of nowhere and then ends up keeping his place against Tipperary and Cork down the line because I just can't see us beating Dublin in a game if he starts - although I think the odds of it are fairly slight - his league performances when I watched the games back, just screamed out of the type of performances you see when a former key player goes on a year longer than they should have - his ability to impact a game and drive a team on when he was at his peak compared to how little impact he had in the league games was just night and day stuff. The fact that he is starting after how he performed during the league is a massive worry for me because it makes me seriously question Keane and his judgement and how exactly he is going about picking his teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Based on his league performances, I would actually be worried in case he does do somehow do well and pulls a performance out of nowhere and then ends up keeping his place against Tipperary and Cork down the line because I just can't see us beating Dublin in a game if he starts - although I think the odds of it are fairly slight - his league performances when I watched the games back, just screamed out of the type of performances you see when a former key player goes on a year longer than they should have - his ability to impact a game and drive a team on when he was at his peak compared to how little impact he had in the league games was just night and day stuff. The fact that he is starting after how he performed during the league is a massive worry for me because it makes me seriously question Keane and his judgement and how exactly he is going about picking his teams.

Is it possible there is a fear that dropping him could have a negative impact on attitude which may effect the squad as a whole? Only those close to the set up would know if that’s a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Boom__Boom wrote: »

we must have one of the most conservative management team in the GAA at the moment... completely averse to taking a chance on a lad...

that said i think only one of either A. Spillane and Diarmuid Connor should start and partnered by either Moran or Jack Barry

im not going to say im glad to see Murphy dropped to the subs given what a fantastic player he has been but i do think its the right move.... unfortunately Paul is not the dynamic player he was 5 years ago... Making him Captain is making things little awkward for management... when are we going to realise that the method we have of awarding the captaincy to player from club champions is well and truly past its sell by date.... Dublin Limerick Donegal Mayo etc have all moved on from this stupid and archaic rule... Its not doing the team any favours in my opinion anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not a bad first half. A few wides I felt should have gone over but it hopefully won't come back to haunt them today. The pass and finish for the goal was top quality. Clare a lot poorer than I expected. Constantly going backwards and sideways with passes. Hopefully be comfortable enough from here.

• Advertisement

Not a bad first half. A few wides I felt should have gone over but it hopefully won't come back to haunt them today. The pass and finish for the goal was top quality. Clare a lot poorer than I expected. Constantly going backwards and sideways with passes. Hopefully be comfortable enough from here.

Defensively very solid at the moment. Gavin White excellent.
    Paudie Clifford with some great passes including O Shea’s goal.
    O Shea’s first 5 mins, that’s it.
    But as expected with Moran as the controlling midfielder, all the pace gone out of that section of the field. O Connor playing more of a running game when he should be dictating play like he did against Tyrone.
    Clifford is poor so far by his standards, looks very lethargic.
    PK will run the bench 10 mins into second half if Clare don’t close the gap fast.

Yeah, Gavin White like a man possessed today. Put in a big hit too and looks to have a bit of fire about him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

The GAA
    @officialgaa

First half highlights available on gaa twitter

Yeah, Gavin White like a man possessed today. Put in a big hit too and looks to have a bit of fire about him

Sean O Shea pipped him to man of the match. Great display, a REAL captains performance as he is our onfield captain in reality. I love his constant demands on his team mates all through the match.
    Our pace definitely improved when Moran went off but I understand he was required up against that big Clare midfielder O Neill.
    Paul Geaney was anonymous until that last goal pass. Dara Moynihan was also poor but I think the slower play killed his game.
    Killian Spillane excellent when he came on and should start the semi final ahead of either of the above.

Sean O Shea pipped him to man of the match. Great display, a REAL captains performance as he is our onfield captain in reality. I love his constant demands on his team mates all through the match.
    Our pace definitely improved when Moran went off but I understand he was required up against that big Clare midfielder O Neill.
    Paul Geaney was anonymous until that last goal pass. Dara Moynihan was also poor but I think the slower play killed his game.
    Killian Spillane excellent when he came on and should start the semi final ahead of either of the above.

was it not adrian spillane that gave pass to clifford for his goal????

• Advertisement

was it not adrian spillane that gave pass to clifford for his goal????

Burns scored the last goal.... Walsh to Geaney to Burns I think....

Burns score the last goal.... Walsh to Geaney to Burns I think....

sorry chap... wasnt following game... just saw highlights of cliffords goal. thought that was the one you were on bout...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Moran did ok, I hope this isn’t a step on the path of him playing vs the dubs if we meet them.
    Geaney really isn’t effective anymore, goal assist aside late on aside. A tough high tempo game, can’t see him being involved. Stephen O Brien’s best days look long behind him too. That’s a bit negative...most of the rest were grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

munster87 wrote: »
    Moran did ok, I hope this isn’t a step on the path of him playing vs the dubs if we meet them.
    Geaney really isn’t effective anymore, goal assist aside late on aside. A tough high tempo game, can’t see him being involved. Stephen O Brien’s best days look long behind him too. That’s a bit negative...most of the rest were grand!!

very hard to judge , clare were terrible the worst i have seen from us against ye in years , 3 years ago ye blew us away in kilarney but that day ye were flying today in the 3rd 1/4 clare had every chance to get back into the game and kicked some awful wides

tipperary will ask way more qustions the next day , they are way better thinking on thir feet then we are and wont make anywhere near as many errors as we made today , i reckon it will be limerick ye will face in the final , they are going well at the moment

i agree about stephen o'brien ,he kicked some terrible wides ,looks a yard slower and recived a stupid yellow card early in the game , not the player of 3 or 4 years ago

the good thing going forward is david clifford kicked 1-6 without playing well

munster87 wrote: »

To be fair to Stephen O Brien, like Tom o Sullivan, I think both just aren’t fully fit yet. Remember they both only returned to the panel late in the league. I expect both to be going well again by the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

For those of us without Sky Sports is there anywhere to watch this game back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clancarre

Very hard for Kerry to turn in top performances every game. Still we returned a good score. Tipp are a proud County and will fight hard to defend their Munster crown. Killian appears to do better coming off the bench. Would stick with Moran, Geaney and O'Brien starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry GAA website is really pushing the win a house in Kerry, every page you load on the site the pop up appears :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kerry GAA website is really pushing the win a house in Kerry, every page you load on the site the pop up appears :D:D

Annoying the sh1t outta me, they could just have the popup for the homepage. I was trying to look at the county league tables and gave up after a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

I wonder if peopole buy a ticket will they actually get it? County board in recent times haven't been the best when it comes to getting what you actually pa for.

• Advertisement

Rathmore played Tralee Parnells in minor hurling in Keel the other day.

Great to see more clubs fielding teams.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Annoying the sh1t outta me, they could just have the popup for the homepage. I was trying to look at the county league tables and gave up after a few minutes

I know I was the same at the weekend, was looking for the County League Hurling tables and they aren't on the drop down menu, every other league is there expect the senior hurling

Must be a spy in the camp lads, the pop up has gone now :D:D:D

Some good news. Hopefully tickets are done in a club draw like all Ireland tickets. No idea how it's actually going to work though. Let the scramble begin :pac:

https://twitter.com/MunsterGAA/status/1412415943913967627?s=19

I know I was the same at the weekend, was looking for the County League Hurling tables and they aren't on the drop down menu, every other league is there expect the senior hurling

Is that really a surprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Well folks, U20's game tonight against Cork, looking forward too it, on TG4 as well

Joe McDonagh Cup Final on Saturday, after last weeks display the lads will have to up their game in a big way if they want to be beating Westmeath we just collapsed completely in the second half against Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Looked very promising in the first half, but seem to have totally gone off the boil since the restart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Kerry incredibly wasteful with the ball in the last 10 minutes here. Plenty injury time to equalize however.

Advertisement