Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

2-13 to 0-03 at half time. Glad I didn't make the journey on this cold night

That clubber TV is a bit of a shambles. Their county final production was a very poor standard as well. It's a pity the GAA don't roll out GAA Go for these types of games and do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

To be fair the County Final was done by 247.tv

Clubber did the Munster Semis (Stacks v Newcastle West and Na Gaeil v Drom/Inch)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The standard of commentary on Radio Kerry was beyond shocking - I'm convinced if you pulled 2 random people off the street, they would do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

At least Munster GAA are making amends by refunding people. Kerry GAA just buried their heads last year and stuck two fingers up to their supporters who paid to watch streams.

I didn’t hear Kerry Radio, who were the commentators? Tim Moynihan and Ambrose O Donovan are always a hard listen if it was them.

What a pointless game of football in the end. Absolutely nothing learned outside what everyone already knows; The Clifford’s are good at football etc etc. None of the well known players should have been playing in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Na Gaeil would hardly have been happy either if Stefan had picked up another knock - would surely have seen some action during the League anyway, much like Dylan Casey or Jack O'Shea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are about 28 weeks from an All Ireland final. Jack O'Connor needs to build a team to win an A Ireland in the next 10-12 weeks.

Keane managed it last year......and then deconstructed the whole f@@king team so that a few players could win medals.

Some people forget that we were one point away from winning the semi final. Keane stumbled into a semi-final and we lost after extra time with David Clifford injured for all of extra time. We conceded two stupid goals one at the end of normal time and one in extra time that made winning impossible. As Abe Lincoln said of Ambrose Burnside after the last debacle ( he attacked throught a massive cratar where he lost thousands of men) before he sacked him '' only he could snatched defeat from the jaws of victory''. Keane was similar

As one lad said lately you could replace the complete Kerry back 6 with the Stack's back 6 and win an All Ireland.......because you would have a functional back six that know what they are doing.

Jack dose not need to reinvent the circle he needs to put a functioning back six in place. He needs a functional CB, another 1-2 midfielders and a FB in that order.

It's all very well saying the Na Geil or Stacks players will get chances later in the league. However there clubs look like they could be involved in the club championship to the end which means 4-8 weeks without seeing them.

The last thing we want to be reconstructing a team going into championship like Keane did last year. Jack has to find out if these lads can function in a county set up.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Replay of the game can be watched for free now on Clubber.ie. An account on Clubber.ie is needed, but the game is free to watch.

Yeah. Tim and Ambrose - one of their worst performances in a long time.

Probably the only positive of how poor they were in describing what was happening in the game (beyond the scoreline) is that when I do get a chance to watch the game it won't be that far off watching a game I know nothing about beyong the scoreline.

Hopefully the Tipperary game will be more of a challenge.

The game between Limerick and Tipperary on Sunday should give some sort of indication what sort of state Tipperary are in.

Limerick had a weaker squad out compared to us on average. They are in a different senario looking for 3-5 players to start recycling there bench and improve there team.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Mayo on more than one occasion have been just one point away from winning an all-ireland... they still havent won it.... i agree re Keane i reckon he could have been manager for the next 50 years and he wouldnt win Sam... he just had no luck/had a knack for making bad decisions at the wrong time....

a few of last years 1st 15 will have to be replaced.... i watched a short clip over on the Kerry gaa forum of a couple of Tyrone scores from the semi-final... Kerry didn't lay a glove on one Tyrone player as they made there way up the pitch... it was shocking to watch.... so a shake up of some sort is required to put a bit of life into the players.... a proper no.6 is required and a bit of physical strength in the fullforward line to win a 50/50 contest.... tyrone have mcshane we have no one...

we need fullback line defenders who are good under high balls.... this is very important.. we have been caught out far too often by high balls into the square... we are a disaster at dealing with them.... Murphy will be much better than Ryan in goals... Ryan was desperate dodgy/clueless under high balls... shame to see the kenmare lad gone i thought he was good enuf from what i saw of him...

it will be an interesting year... one thing bout Jack is he is a bit of a lucky general... he could avoid tyrone and get mayo in a final and no doubt we'll win... when he came in at the end of 03.. we had suffered 3 bad beatings in a row... meath 01 armagh 02 tyrone 03... jack came in and won in 04... we are back in the same spot now... it will be interesting to see if he can repeat the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

From what I saw last night Okunbor’s long term role will be in one of the back six positions rather than midfield. He didn’t look like he can offer much in a midfield role based on last night which I know is a small sample but it looked fairly obvious. The one positive of him in a midfield role is he was able to drop back and block the centre of the defence but he doesn’t have the confidence on the ball or fielding ability required for the position in my eyes. Even before he left he wasn’t being played at midfield at u20 level. His strengths are best utilised as a back. Whether that’s at full back, centre back or wing back we’ll have to see.

Completely agree. Outside of fielding the throw in he showed no real midfielder attributes. I hope he gets a run at full back as it’s the position he has always been best. He’s big and strong for those type of players but also athletic enough for most mobile players. Tom O Sullivan on one side with the other up for grabs between the rest. Dan O Donoghue did well enough last night to keep himself in contention and would already be ahead of Jason Foley for me.

Ah now come on, David Clifford is a big man in the full forward line well capable of winning his own ball. David Shaw will also most likely be tried in this role similar to a younger Donaghy.

I think Kieran Fitzgibbon is still a member of the squad as a goalie… It will be interesting to see if Diarmuid Murphy has the ability to bring one of the 3 keepers to the level required. At the moment I think they are all at a very similar level.

As for defenders Okunbur has to be used at full back. I think Mike Breen looked good last night in his first game in that centre back. Big, strong and dependable. He is young but with a bit more aggression has the makings of a fine centre back. Whether it’s a year or two too soon I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I think it’s either Foley or Okunbor, couldn’t see both starting together as they are both suited to marking the same type of forward. Dylan Casey is another strong option, I think he’ll be a starter this year. I like Dan O’Donoghue as well and a rejuvenated Tadhg Morley is another option.

Hopefully Mike Breen can nail down that centre back position now. He has all the attributes.

The reason they did not lay a hand on a player is they were not a functioning defence. After a successful league, Keane decided to change the Goalie, the FB and the CB. We had two training matches (Cork and Clare) and then a 4-5 week break. As well he totally reconstructed the midfield.

As I said about Keane he was too busy dividing up the medals and from the jaws of victory snatched defeat.

One goal was because the CB send a ball accross the center of the field, where he should have been and another was because a midfielder was in the FB position where he kicked the f@@king ball out to a Tyrone forward. Ya I will agree Mayo stupidity. A donkey would manage those players we just had the wrong donkey. I think in hindsight even Fitzmaurice would have won with them if he was left there.

All we need is a functional defence not the greatest in the country just a functional one.

Slava Ukrainii

David is a big man but he can’t do it all by himself... in 2004 we had dara cinneide and John Crowley.. 2 lads with a good physical presence.. to compliment colm coopers youth and slight ness of build... 09 we had Tommy walsh and donaghy with the physical presence and gooch with em to supply the class.... was watching the drawn 2019 final against Dublin lately and Tommy walsh made a massive difference when he came on in the 2nd half... so David would benefit from having a player with a physical presence in the ff line with him...

im not too sure about Stefan at 3... the last game he played there he was directly responsible for 1-5 of the oppositions scores.. and the opposition wasn’t Dublin or Tyrone or Mayo... it was bloody Kildare.. as far as I can remember he only played one good game at 3... he doesn’t play there for Na Gael.. so while he maybe tried there in a league game or 2... I think it might be safer have him in the hb line...

whoever will be at 3 and 6 will need to have a presence... unfortunately Jason foley while he is a big man does not have a ‘presence’... all the good fullbacks in football or hurling had a presence.... John o’keeffe mick Lyons Darren fay Seamus Moynihan Aidan o’mahony francie bellew all had a presence and a bit of nastiness if needed that made guys wary of taking them on... Jason lacks this... pity really as he is a really good defender in general... but he wouldn’t hurt a fly.... what would francie bellew have done to dara Canavan as he soloed toward the goals in the semifinal in the lead up to mcshanes goal.... I think we all know the answer to that...

Bellew would have been able to do nothing either as he would have been too slow and if he left McShane too early it would be a goal anyway. In the case above it was more Paul Murphy missing at CB was the problem. He continually goes forward and drifts out into the wing. Criminal offence for a CB

As I said earlier we would win an AI if we had a functioning back 6. We have too many backs trying to do overlaps in the forward division all the time. Somebody has to mind the houses now and again. Something we have not figured out.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Fantastic effort by Kerry hurlers... well deserved winners over Tipp... obviously a very much second string Tipp team.. still a positive start for molumphy and his team... makes the decision by several players not to make themselves available to him look a bad one..

Limerick are next up on Friday

Was listening to the hurling today and Mike O'Halloran was miles and miles ahead of Tim and Ambrose.

Concentrating on the action and gave a good account of what was actually happening in the match and an overall sense of how the match was going.

The lack of nonsense/waffle chat between Tim and Ambrose was an absolute blessing.

Radio Kerry should get rid of Ambrose immediately - he adds absolutely nothing and if anything he just diverts Tim from concentrating on the game.

There might be some chance that Tim might do some sort of adequate job if he wasn't distracted by Ambrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Two under strength sides today, Tipp missing their big guns and we were missing the Kilmoyley lads and a good few lads that have made the team and panel of the last few years, thought we deserved the win you could see that we had a good bit of work done, the lads showed some great workrate at times getting numbers to the breakdown and hounding the Tipp lads, some great scores taken as well, a savage point by Fionan Mackessy in the first half from distance against the breeze, we also had some lovely scores by new recruit from Limerick Paudie Ahern and of course Shane Conway was in middle of everything we did well, another player from Limerick making his Kerry debut in goals was Louis Dee looked very cool and calm and has really staked his claim to be our number 1.

A great start for the new management and a young enough panel this year, it will give them great confidence going into League and they now have something to build on.

Finally I would like to wish Tipps Willie Connors a speedy recovery. looked a serious enough injury that he picked up in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Did Ahern play well in general KD.? he is a tasty hurler, in the Peter Casey like mould. Heard his brother was to make the transfer also, another good player. Surprised to hear Louis Dee is lining out, never heard he transferred. Good steady keeper, might have Quaid's spot in his sights down the line. Tough on Willie Connors as he is a key player for Ballina who play Gneevguilla next week in the Munster junior football final. A class act at football. Is it true that some Kerry hurlers have opted out of the panel this year. Such a shame.

Ya I was very impressed with Ahern, he got three points, took them all well, he played centre forward but looks to me that he would be better off in the full forward line, I've been told that his brother is injured at the moment, there was another Mungret player named on the bench Niall Mulcahy. Dee looks a fine keeper, he might be using this time with Kerry as a stepping stone, we are down a good few this year from last year's panel for one reason or another they aren't involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone have any idea when National League tickets for Kildare game go on sale? Newbridge is tiny, will this sellout do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Assume they'll wait until closer to the time and see what restrictions are in place. Look after season ticket holders first and whatever is left can go on public sale.

In normal times, it would be nowhere near a sell out but with reduced capacity it could be tight alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭conor05

Some lads just wanted a break from county hurling which is fair enough, some had given great service to Kerry.

Two lads opted back in and then missed 2 sessions over Christmas and Stephen Molumphy wasn’t happy with their commitment so let them go at the end of December.

It is 100% or nothing at this level.

Big day today again for Kerry hurling and Camogie, Kilmoyley playing the Munster Intermediate Final against Courcey Rovers and Clanmaurice are in the All Ireland Junior Camogie final against Raharney, families probably splitting up to get to both games today to support family members involved in both games

Best of luck to both teams

Youtube link for the Clanmaurice game here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgf4ZdN4Xz8&feature=youtu.be

Kilmoyley trail 0-8 to 0-7 at HT - seems to have been nip-and-tuck throughout.

Finishes 0-17 each - extra time to come.

• Advertisement

After extra time Kilmoyley are Munster Intermediate champions 24pts to 21pts. Fantastic result. After watching their opening game it was obvious to see that they were going to be there or thereabouts. Well done to all involved.

Advertisement