Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Can’t see how that information is correct as weeks ago Dan O’Donoghue was playing full games with Spa so he’s definitely training fully. Also Jack was very clear that Moynihan is 100% available for selection and has been in full training.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

You are absolutely correct. I read an article on Monday but must have misread it.

Dan and Dara were training on their own but are now back in with the panel as per the Kerry's Eye today. So apologies for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jack Barry and Adrian Spillane notable absences. Don't like Moran starting, his day is gone imo but how and ever, Up the Kingdom

Wow that is a real blow.

As bad as losing Clifford would be, we have plenty forwards. Losing our engine room in Jack Barry and Adrian Spillane is massive.

I hope David has it in him and Joe/Stefan can offer something off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yeah massive worry to lose both Jack and Adrian.

Would have serious concerns about Moran lasting the pace for the full game - 20 minutes against Cork and 20 minutes against Limerick is a long way from ideal when he missed the entire league. If Diarmuid has one of his inconsistent days, we could be in a world of bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am wondering what is the reason. I was surprised that Adrian did not start against Limerick.

Really worried the next thing will be Paul Murphy starting.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Surprised at how light Kerry are on midfield options. Jack Barry injured i presume and that happens but option B is starting a 34 year old David Moran. Moran's role was as impact sub with 20 mins to play and that option is gone from the bench now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yeah, can't see Moran lasting longer than 50 minutes, in which case we're relying on Joe O'Connor, who hasn't much Championship experience, or Stefan, who has the same problem, combined with his fitness issues. Wouldn't be worried about the backs or forwards, but when we were already expecting a tight game, it could come down to fine margins.

Fake news apparently. I dunno what to believe any more

Post edited by dobman88 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Christ that game was as poor and lack luster as I can remember. As bad as we were! How awful were mayo? Lord God they were as bad as I've ever seen them. Not the test we needed atall. Going in against the dubs now in a semi without having a single tough or even reasonable challenging game.... I hope the training seasons are high intensity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Twas not enough of a test

Defence was solid, moran at 34 did well...says alot of what management think who can play midfield for kerry

A bit clueless up front when paudie clifford is man marked and that's the last 2 croke park championship games he's been wiped out

Looked v like a a one legged David clifford show...shudder to think if wasn't there today and mayo had some idea how to score...they were awful

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Jack Barry's best game for Kerry.

I did not think both teams would be as bad as that, could it possibly happen that like last year Derry win it? If not Kerry than Galway or Dublin please to win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Honestly I think Derry a overrated, I wouldn't worry to much about them. I don't rate there manager either. Not a fan of his juvenile touchline antics.

I watched our own match back again and the SG Highlights, yes we were as rusty as old nissan bluebird, but allot better then I thought on first viewing. Always in control and the cobwebs were slowly being blown off in the second half.I feel allot more positive this morning about the game and beginning to look forward to taking on the Dubs in the Semi.

Season Tickets for the Semi Final available now.

Got 305 again which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Well deserved win for ye yesterday, ye took your chances when they came whereas we didn't. Disappointing way for us to go out but not entirely unexpected.

Good luck in the rest of the championship, I think Dublin and yourselves will be a tight run thing and whichever side has less injuries going into the match might well decide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Semi Final tickets on General sale on Ticketmaster at 3pm today.

Positives from yesterday.

Paul Geaney returning to form. Ya he messed up the goal but got a flaking point in the first half he got four points overall.

Denis Moran had a capable 70+ minutes

Defence got 5 points without coughing up a goal

As the game progressed we improved and finished very strongly.

Negative

Lots of handling errors early on and trying to create goal chances as well as trying to force the game at times.

There was time a simple pass or pick up would have resulted in a point. An example is when Gavin White worked hard to try to win a ball along the sideline in the first half. Instead of a pickup under pressure he tried a foot pass to Geany where we lost possession, I think Dara Monyihan did a few chancy hand passes we lost as well.

We tried to kick a few high balls into Clifford that were easily dealt with by the Mayo defence.

We will need Jack Barry and Adrian Spillane back for Dublin match especially if they have Con O'Callaghan back.

Unless Galway have an issue with injuries and get a few suspensions over the melee I expect they will get to the final from the other side

Slava Ukrainii

Same. 305, one row behind where we were yesterday. Delighted

• Advertisement

You were probably around me yesterday so. Some view of the row in the first game!

Yeah, right in front of us. We were in row N.

At first I was laughing at them, bit of pushing and shoving and nothing to it but the eye gouge was just nasty and needless.

Agreed. I felt the bit of shouldering and sledging fitted in with how combative the game was (not that these rows are ever good for the game). But it turned nasty fairly quickly and when pushing and shoving turns into gouging and punching things have got way out of hand.

Glad to see our game had very little in the way of nastiness. Diarmuid (Kerry) was high with a shoulder/elbow but it seemed accidental on my initial view (Sunday Game didn't cover it).

Aidan O'Shea wrestled Clifford to ground for his black card but it wasn't nasty.

Hopefully the Dublin game is in the same spirit.

That was a thing that disappointed me yesterday. Mayo held us very easy through the black card period. They may even have outscored us

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Nah, just goes to show that O'Shea is a complete and total passenger on that Mayo team. Apart from his first half point, virtually zero contribution to the game. Mayo are playing with 14 men even when he's on the pitch. Most over-rated player i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The other DOC slipped as our DOC came in with the shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I taught DoC had a quiet game and the shoulder showed a bit of his tormentation .Jack Barry is well ahead of him still

Ya he can be a bit frustrating can't he. He seems to have all the attributes needed for a great midfielder. I keep waiting for him to have that break out amazing performance but it doesn't seem to be happening for him. The high shoulder was a thing of nothing. The mayo lad slipped and dipped low at the last second makeing DOC's challenge looked high. Sean OS was magnificent but only in patchs. Paudie Clifford seems to go missing allot these days, either it's a form/confidence thing or opposition teams have him figured out and can handle him easy enough. Happy enough with the 6 backs. Question? What's after happening to Mike Breen? Is he injured or just not being selected or what.....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Out long term, tore his hamstring off the bone apparently. Hope he makes a full recovery as he showed huge promise last year although he found it tough going against Tyrone in the semi.

• Advertisement

Diarmuid had a poor game in posession but he worked himself into the ground. His defensive positioning was excellent and he made it impossible for Mayo to attack down his side of the field.

He took on Jack Barry's role as the worker of the two midfielders which left David free to attack.

Diarmuid has been one of our best players all through the League. His place isn't in doubt in my opinion.

We may end up going with David and Jack at midfield and Diarmuid on the wing (in the role Adrian Spillane filled during the League), but he will start for us IMO.

Advertisement