Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think that is a fairly arrogant statement. There is a significant difference between Senior and Intermediate in any county. However there often is not a huge difference between the bottom of senior and the top of intermediate. Where the difference can often be is that often teams getting relegated have being nearly relegated for a few years and there game management plan is different to the top teams in intermediate.

Kerry has only eight senior clubs. There is twelve in Limerick, Cork run a premier senior championship and a district senior championship. Clare has 12 ISH as well AFAIK and I think Tipperary is similar.

Stacks have an advantage next year's as in reality they should not have been relegated. Kenmare or Stacks would have beat either team contesting the final yesterday. Both teams were too close out of the blocks in the group stages and ended up in a relegation battle. They were both looking at the senior county champions rather than the club championships and that caught them.

A senior championship of eight clubs gives the Kerry intermediate champion's a huge advantages when they go to represent Kerry in Munster and AI series

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The structure in Kerry is second to none, I am gone blue in the face asking people up here to make that change especially in the hurling championship

Granted teams lose out in Munster but the standard improves tenfold , today's final was almost inter county standard ... Clifford aside

The legion would win most senior county championships around the county with that team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

2 former player of the year and 1 current player of the year on that east kerry side, no club could live with that,

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Anyone on here have any older Kerry jerseys that they would sell? I’ve started collecting during the lockdowns.

Could swap potentially if locally based too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭dobman88

Big day in the club championship. Legion beaten by a Gaeltacht side that limped through against Gneeveguilla. Rathmore progress as expected. Was the David Clifford show for Fossa by all accounts in the junior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Don't forget Listry! I'd fancy them against Fossa next Saturday

Absolutely. Open to correction without checking but I think they've had the upper hand over Fossa in recent years. They're a hardy bunch in Listry who will rightly fancy their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I’d also fancy Listry against Fossa, I think they’re a much better all round side. Fossa should have been beaten today, Ardfert were the better team. The difference was the Cliffords were clinical with their chances while Ardfert had 13 wides. David Clifford actually didn’t have the influence you’d expect, he was well marshalled only scoring 2 from play but Paudie was excellent. I don’t think the other 13 players are championship winning quality. The bookies will probably have Fossa as favourites though so I think I’ll put a few quid on Listry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Listened to it on Radio Kerry despite the pro Fossa bias on commentary which was ridiculous, it seemed like a hell of a game. Two Clifford brothers dragged Fossa to victory (how lucky are we to have them as Kerry players) , Listry will regret it though, they were cruising but hit some awful wides near the end of full time

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Hard luck to Listry, they will be hurting after that final. A cracking match indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

What's the point in splurging €72.5m on redeveloping Fitzgerald Stadium, when even with the new Championship format, there's only likely to be a significant crowd 2-3 times a year? In any event, there have to be more economic ways of renovating stands and terraces:

https://www.the42.ie/fitzgerald-stadium-72-5-million-renovation-cost-5927838-Nov2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Crazy waste of money.

Yeah Kerry have a problem, 2 grounds and one especially needed for a very limited number of matches. Ideally they would keep only one but not acceptable to downgrade Austin Stack park I'd imagine, plus it's great for club, hurling intercounty and national league football at that size.

Not sure what the long term strategy should be, but this is not it, at even half those figures.

You are looking at this strictly from a GAA perspective. Any upgrade to Fitzgerald's stadium will redesign it to cater for events as well. Killarney is probably second only to Dublin for accommodation. Fitzgerald's stadium is also very central to the town center. Less than 5-10 minutes from the town center and the railway/bus station.

Ireland lost out on the last Rugby WC because of

Lack stadium's it will probably get a chance again in about 10 years time. Killarney is one of the stadium critical to that bid strictly from an accomodation point of view

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya your right it's very unique and very close to town almost part of the town, needs a revamp alright, the figures are eye watering alright hope it wouldn't strangle us in terms of spending on other things

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Ronan Buckley, Ruairi Murphy, Barry Mahony, Eddie Horan, Shane Cronin, Chris O’Donoghue and Brian Friel have reportedly been called into the Kerry panel. Happy with that, think the first 4 names in particular definitely have something to offer.

With Mixie Palmer (born in 1927) having passed on just before Christmas, who would be the oldest surviving All-Ireland winner from the county? Johnny Culloty is the oldest living captain, as he was born in 1936, just pipping Mick O'Connell (1937).

Surprisingly strong panel, given all the absentees being well-flagged in advance.

Seem to have got a right hammering. Cork 5-11 Kerry 14 points. Bad night at the office for a few lads

Anybody at it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fire_man

Can you pay cash at Austin Stack park tomorrow or is it online tickets only?

• Advertisement

No pay on the gate - tickets can be bought in SuperValu, but might be a bit late now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just curious, if you didnt know any better and landed at the gate with cash only what happens?

They'll tell you to buy them on your phone. They're not taking cash.

Had to help a couple of aul lads twice since this no cash nonsense started and i know im not the only one. Buy the tickets for them and they gave me cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fire_man

I was at game on Sunday and you can pay by card at the gate.Not sure about cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Bit of life left in Micko yet by the looks of things .Congrats to him and the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

David Moran retired.

A great servant of Kerry GAA and a fantastic fielder and kicker of a ball.

His setup of the goal in the first game v Mayo in 2014 and his all-round display in the replay will always be remembered.

I see the first Kerry GAA thread here started off talking bout his potential:

Safe to say he lived up to his potential.

First round of the Alliancz League net Sunday. Long and late trip to Ballybofey. According to RTE match has a 3.45 pm start.

Will probably stay up there that night in Donegal town

Slava Ukrainii

Was brought forward to 2pm last week, so TG4 presumably showing deferred coverage after a live game.

2pm start now. Announced last week. We will head up Saturday evening and home after game Sunday. Was ridiculous having it on at 4pm so thankfully sense has prevailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's the live game on TG4 at 2pm according to the TG4 schedule.

Advertisement