Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

keane2097 wrote:
    #Justice4Shanahan

Presume this is in relation to Diarmuid O'Connor poasibly breaking Conroy's jaw?

Didn't look much at the match but the replay is pretty shocking.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Presume this is in relation to Diarmuid O'Connor poasibly breaking Conroy's jaw?

Didn't look much at the match but the replay is pretty shocking.

Madness

In relation to my prediction of the reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Superb result for the hurlers against Laois (3-20 to 0-19), suddenly from worrying about relegation they now have an outside chance of the top two.

It was a mighty performance,from 1 to 15 you couldnt fault any of them

Looking forward to next weeks game at home to Westmeath,they came to Tralee two years ago in the Lenister Round Robin and did a job on us

Hopefully history wont repeat itself next Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

keane2097 wrote: »
    #Justice4Shanahan

Keane are you actually defending a Rockie?

Narries turning in their graves at such a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Hurling team announced for Sunday:

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news_detail/10039752/

• Advertisement

Useful result for us in the Joe McDonagh, as Laois defeat Antrim, so we could force a four-way-tie at the top if we win tomorrow. The Munster QFs will be interesting tonight.

Clare beat Limerick by 12, so semi a fortnight tomorrow at 3.30. Tipp-Cork should be a cracker - is that the same weekend, or was it moved forward due to the hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Next Saturday night I think

Kerry lose by 3 having been level going into injury time.

Its becoming an awful habit.

Extremely frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No Johnny Buckley for 2018.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/marty-clarke-believes-gaa-should-not-back-down-from-firm-stance-over-clash-with-champions-league-final-36936640.html
    Elsewhere, Johnny Buckley has had to step away from the Kerry football squad due to increased work commitments.

The Dr Crokes forward is not expected to be involved in the forthcoming championship as he devotes more time to the family bus company which is based in Killarney. Buckley was last year's Kerry captain, courtesy of Crokes' All-Ireland club success in 2017.

He was half-forward on the team that defeated Donegal in the 2014 All-Ireland final and featured again in the final against Dublin a year later.

Buckley has had ongoing knee problems that kept him out of action for all of the 2016 Championship. It is not clear if Buckley, who made his Kerry championship debut in 2012 as a substitute against Cork, will return in 2019.

Kerry - who face Clare in their championship opener on the weekend after next - are likely to be without defender Shane Enright who is nursing an ankle injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Big loss but he's had a few injuries and inter county these days is a full time commitment. Owes Kerry nothing anyway, was always fairly reliable so hopefully not the last we've seen of him. Best of luck to him.

1 Shane Murphy (Captain) Dr. Crokes

2 Jason Foley Ballydonoghue

3 Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

4 Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks

5 Paul Murphy Rathmore

6 Tadhg Morley Templenoe

7 Gavin White Dr Crokes

8 David Moran Kerins O'Rahillys

9 Jack Barry Na Gaeil

10 Micheal Burns Dr. Crokes

11 Sean O'Shea Kenmare

12 Stephen O'Brien Kenmare

13 David Clifford Fossa

14 Paul Geaney Dingle

15 James O'Donoghue Killarney Legion

Thats 7 championship debutants.

And will O'Donoghue be up to the pace of even a Clare game, given he only seems to have been fit about a week?

On another note, good to see the ladies team will be the warm-up game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

DDC1990 wrote: »
    1 Shane Murphy (Captain) Dr. Crokes

2 Jason Foley Ballydonoghue

3 Peter Crowley Laune Rangers

4 Ronan Shanahan Austin Stacks

5 Paul Murphy Rathmore

6 Tadhg Morley Templenoe

7 Gavin White Dr Crokes

8 David Moran Kerins O'Rahillys

9 Jack Barry Na Gaeil

10 Micheal Burns Dr. Crokes

11 Sean O'Shea Kenmare

12 Stephen O'Brien Kenmare

13 David Clifford Fossa

14 Paul Geaney Dingle

15 James O'Donoghue Killarney Legion

Hopefully we are corecting errors from previous years where we kept starting the older players. We need to blood them and the Clare is the ideal place to start. Not sure if I would have swapped Morley and Crowley. Substitutions will. E interesting as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:

Interesting half forward line

Stoner wrote:
    Interesting half forward line

Serious pace and goal threats.

Unreal full forward line as well.

If Clare attack it could be a great high scoring game. Kerry's backs are inexperienced and light. Definitely could be got at if they went for it.

However I'd imagine Clare will go defensive and try and counter attack at speed. Not sure that will be as effective against Murphy, White, Foley, Burns and O'Brien who are all lightning quick.

Jack Barry will have to try and tie down Gary Brennan. Tough ask.

Hope its dry and we get to see both teams play thwir best football.

Peter Crowley at 3 is puzzling but presumably he will play as a sweeper once Clare drop deep. Morley and Foley can both cover Full Back if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

exciting times, but we need to be patient with this team now and dont expect miracles. i feel it has come a year too late, would like to have seen this team put in place last year, right the year off and build on it this year but i guess beggars cant be choosers. if we make the super 8s it would be a good bedding to attack an all ireland next year.

must be one of the youngest teams weve ever had out? no players over 30 and only 2 over 27.

exciting times, but we need to be patient with this team now and dont expect miracles. i feel it has come a year too late, would like to have seen this team put in place last year, right the year off and build on it this year but i guess beggars cant be choosers. if we make the super 8s it would be a good bedding to attack an all ireland next year.

I don't think its a year too late tbh. Better to let the lads like O'Shea, Foley, Burns etc develop physically for a year while training away rather than throw them into Championship action.

Not saying mistakes weren't made but I think it was reasonable to give them a year before starting them.

I expect a Semi Final loss this year. No idea about next year. Im not as confident as others that we'll be the team to break Dublins dominance first. Psychologically i'm not sure we will be determined enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Agree the forwards look exciting on paper, but only if they are on form and more importantly if the style of play Kerry adopt this year allows them to shine. Also agree that the defence look a bit 'green' and light. I must also say that our bench isn't very daunting, apart from Donaghy's ability to change a game by the change of style and impact his introduction can bring, assuming he is in form. The rest of the bench doesn't really live up to the standard required..

Substitutes:

16 Brian Kelly, Killarney Legion
    17 Kieran Donaghy, Austin Stacks
    18 Brian Ó Beaglaoich, An Ghaeltacht
    19 Barry John Keane, Kerins O’Rahillys
    20 Darran O’Sullivan. Glenbeigh/Glencar
    21 Anthony Maher, Duagh
    22 Mark Griffin, St Michaels/ Foilmore
    23 Mikey Geaney, Dingle
    24 Kevin McCarthy, Kilcummin
    25 Fionn Fitzgerald, Dr Crokes
    26 Gavin Crowley, Templenoe

Don't suppose tomorrow's game is on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

mystic86 wrote: »
    Agree the forwards look exciting on paper, but only if they are on form and more importantly if the style of play Kerry adopt this year allows them to shine. Also agree that the defence look a bit 'green' and light. I must also say that our bench isn't very daunting, apart from Donaghy's ability to change a game by the change of style and impact his introduction can bring, assuming he is in form. The rest of the bench doesn't really live up to the standard required..

Substitutes:

16 Brian Kelly, Killarney Legion
    17 Kieran Donaghy, Austin Stacks
    18 Brian Ó Beaglaoich, An Ghaeltacht
    19 Barry John Keane, Kerins O’Rahillys
    20 Darran O’Sullivan. Glenbeigh/Glencar
    21 Anthony Maher, Duagh
    22 Mark Griffin, St Michaels/ Foilmore
    23 Mikey Geaney, Dingle
    24 Kevin McCarthy, Kilcummin
    25 Fionn Fitzgerald, Dr Crokes
    26 Gavin Crowley, Templenoe

Don't suppose tomorrow's game is on TV?

Subs bench isn't exactly top quality however it has some high points like Donaghy (plus Griffin & BJK to an extent), those who may give a positive 25 minutes to allow squad rotation (Maher and O'Sullivan) along with youthful prospects (McCarthy, Crowley, etc...). There are also...others (read: one player, two max) there who I'd rather not discuss :pac:

Edit: To answer your question, it's not on TV but I'm sure Radio Kerry will give good enough commentary, plus there'll probably be anywhere between 120 to 180 seconds of highlights on The Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Subs bench isn't exactly top quality however it has some high points like Donaghy (plus Griffin & BJK to an extent), those who may give a positive 25 minutes to allow squad rotation (Maher and O'Sullivan) along with youthful prospects (McCarthy, Crowley, etc...). There are also...others (read: one player, two max) there who I'd rather not discuss :pac:

Edit: To answer your question, it's not on TV but I'm sure Radio Kerry will give good enough commentary, plus there'll probably be anywhere between 120 to 180 seconds of highlights on The Sunday Game.

the subs bench is not great but in fairness i would regard that as the best possible full forward line in the country ,

looking forward to seeing sean o shea too , excellent footballer on the way up , from a kerry point of view should donal o'sullivan and tom spillane not be involved in the panel clare have several players just out of minor or 21s on there panel , we have spoken about the likes of mikey geaney in the past :rolleyes: surely he could make way for one of them

in truth though this game will be one way traffic if clare produce anything less then what they showed in last years 6 point loss for us in ennis .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Interesting team and I'm happy that we are trying something else in the full back line, finally.

I couldnt endure another year of Enright running right up his man arse, getting turned and slipping- every time or Mark Griffin at full back for that matter.

White is a real talent and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on at this level- the balance of the full forward line might be ok for this match but will need to change against better teams and I think we need a big game from O Brien as I've never been convinced of him at thi level either.

Its great to see many young players getting a go but there are big questions over them and also some of the older lads.
    Kerry by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Subs bench a real issue IMO there is there is a taxi full of passengers there. I know you like a few old heads with 10-15 minutes to go nut. But Kevin McCarthy is fairy experienced and with Donaghy and BJK that should be enough. You should really have at least two and possibly 3 more youngster there especially for the Clare game.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Subs bench a real issue IMO there is there is a taxi full of passengers there. I know you like a few old heads with 10-15 minutes to go nut. But Kevin McCarthy is fairy experienced and with Donaghy and BJK that should be enough. You should really have at least two and possibly 3 more youngster there especially for the Clare game.

Surely ' give youth a chance ' is done by having 7 debutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Surely ' give youth a chance ' is done by having 7 debutants.

Not sure about the others but in my original post about the subs I'm not blaming management, it's more of a statement on our lack of strength in depth of real top quality players like the way Dublin etc. have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Very very difficult to judge that performance. Clare were fairly abject. Left Paul Murphy unmarked for the majority of the game, mad stuff. He was the fulcrum of a lot of the Kerry good throughout, as ever.

Would have liked to have seen us get a test today, particularly defensively but nonetheless good to see a few things and nice few debut performance also. Kick-passing and excellent forward play/link-up. An interesting bank of 3 lines of 4 across the field for Clare re-starts. Excellent workrate from all 3 of the half forward line. Last but not least, Liam Hassett demoted as 'the runner' replaced by Maurice Fitz.

Looking forward to the Munster Final in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

And we are up and running. Made a good Clare side look absolutely awful.

Subs bench is a worry in the sense M Geany was first on and this wont do in big games tho we do appear to have 4 or 5 to come into the panel yet such as young enright donnacha savage etc.

Another side is only 6 of the minor teams played today so theres surely 3 or 4 more waiting in the long grass especially from last 2 years.

Murphy shanahan crowley werent part of those teams at all for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

And we are up and running. Made a good Clare side look absolutely awful.

Subs bench is a worry in the sense M Geany was first on and this wont do in big games tho we do appear to have 4 or 5 to come into the panel yet such as young enright donnacha savage etc.

Another side is only 6 of the minor teams played today so theres surely 3 or 4 more waiting in the long grass especially from last 2 years.

Murphy shanahan crowley werent part of those teams at all for instance

A good Clare side?? Seriously? Lol.

I agree on M Geaney, how is he anywhere near the panel. Enright injured is a blessing. He will **** the pants when the going gets tough as he always does..

I actually think there's a bit of Seamus Moynihan about Peter Crowley, teak tough, get nothing easy and not afraid to burst out from the back.

Today turned into nothing more than a training exercise after half time. We're still no closer to seeing where we're at.

Also, Donnacha played for Cromane yesterday so I dunno what his story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

dobman88 wrote: »
    A good Clare side?? Seriously? Lol.

Clare not a bad side. Colm Collins has worked wonders with a limited pool of resources. They lost 7 players that started against Mayo in Qualifiers last year. A lot of the top club players wont commit to county scene and other players have committed to the hurlers. Kerry wouldn't have them issues ;)

Advertisement