Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Graham has really come on in tïhe last twelve months. Has jumped ahead of a lot of lads on the starting team. really impressive this league campaign

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

Was wondering what the story with O Donoghue was also? This time last year it looked like he had the corner back spot nailed down.

On Paul Murphy, he’s gonna get absolutely cleaned out tomorrow. That Galway half forward line is massive and they will surely target him. Having a newbie in Dylan Casey behind him leaves us vulnerable on that side also.

I think Galway will beat us tomorrow unfortunately.

I think this is a real test for Dylan. If he can manage the pressure and have a good game whether Kerry win or lose it's all about the game he has tomorrow.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I would’ve liked to seen that too but Jack seems against pushing Graham out and/or starting Casey. It would have had to been tried out in the league if we were going to go with it for championship.

Dan O’Donoghue was named at midfield for Spa today. Word was that his form was poor in training early in the year so he wasn’t selected for match day 26s just like Gavin Crowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭munster87

I’m assuming Shane Ryan starts every game in the championship. I hope so anyway.

• Advertisement

Tony Brosnan got turned over a good few times today and we conceeded three points from his turnovers

Slava Ukrainii

Shane Murphy shouldn’t be number 2 or 3 goalkeeper. Paul Murphy coughed up 3 scores when taken on and gave away a scored free by my count. A blind man can see he can’t defend one on one! Ruairi Murphy anonymous and have yet to see what Jack is seeing in him but assume it’s more for future years. David Clifford’s worst game in a Kerry jersey. Tony Brosnan is a conundrum, can do some unbelievable things but seems ineffective in the game as a whole, gets turned over on the ball a lot. Would have preferred if he went off for Diarmuid and left Barry Dan on.

Dylan Casey played well I thought. Barry Dan was excellent and was very surprised to see him taken off early in second half. Jack Barry excellent in second half. Paudie Clifford was excellent in that role of taking the ball from halfback line into the forwards.

Look it was a very experimental league from Kerry. They have kept their division one status and plenty of fringe players got a lot of game time. I think the league this year has shown that championship this year is probably going to be even more defensive than previous years.

If Jack wanted to win he should have brought on DOC at HT for RM and put BD to HF. He should have left DC on at CB and put GrahamOS on for PM. After that I have taken Brosnan off before DOS.

My opinion is Jack did not want to win. He has upset Galway's holidays plans from what I hear

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

Paul Murphy simply cannot defend as today proved again. Tony Brosnan has a mentality that dosen't match his potential. D Clifford needs a rest badly. S Murphy is not good enough at this level. Quite a few players have been given a chance so hopefully we will be a differnt team for the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ambrose o'donovan is that you !! 2/3rds of kerry attacks were sent in to tonys corner today and handed off to a player in a worse position

i wouldnt say a word about paul murphy , the player in qustion before today was jason foley and he passed the test

i see tim moynihan is still spinning around like a spinning thing in his commentary's ....that has to stop too !!!

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy cannot defend and is a liability with our kick outs. He simply doesn't have the bodily strength. Tim Moynihan is annoying now as he was on Terrace Talk.

Why would you not say a word about Paul Murphy and why was was there a question about Jason Foley.

Slava Ukrainii

On goalkeepers what ever happened to that lad from Kenmare I think Kieran Fitzgibbon was his name is he gone completely.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭cms88

Tim Moynihan has to be the worst person Radio Kerry has ever employed even in non sport. He's worse than that lad who was doing Weekend Sport a few years ago who had no interest or clue about sport. He just offers nothing whatsoever.

Ambrose while himself not the greatest made some good points. The whole idea of stats. Shane Murphy probably had good stats from kickouts on Sunday. But as Ambrose said it's easy to get high stats when you play it short everytime and get it back straight away.

Billy O Shea is another man i'd rarely ever listen to what he has to say but he also made a good point. He said teams have Kerry figured out and are happy to just let lads run down the wing and not go anywhere with it.

Ya Jack O’Connor never brought him in. A lot of people have rose tinted glasses when looking back at him in my opinion. He’d an absolute meltdown against Clare in Fitzgerald Stadium which is hardly All Ireland final difficulty. He was decent at the short kickouts but had no range on the long ones at all. Shane Murphy was a fairly good keeper until this year I don’t know what has happened him.

I’d tend to agree, actually defending is a weak point of his game. He’s a very good sub to bring on but definitely not a starter anymore.

Shane Murphy lacks physical presence in goals. This is a significant factor in goalkeeping. He is no spring chicken either. Mind you neither is Fitzgibbon he is only a year younger AFAIK. But he is much more comfortable on the ball.

Slava Ukrainii

He wasn't great in the league last year either tbf. Devon Burns from Na Gaeil and Mark Kelliher from Glenflesk should be the second and third choose imo.

Eoghan O'Brien from Churchill whatever came of him? Not too long ago there was talk of him being first choose.  

David Moran could make a fine Goalie come rogue midfielder 😂

Imagine Brian Sheehan was on the scene now, a roaming goalkeeper position was made for him.

take no notice , i can still smell the beer off that quote , foley has done little wrong this year ,

• Advertisement

Ya Foley doing well this year. Starting to play sweeper role when a player pushes onto Morley.

My problem with Murphy is he is now too slow. Flaking player 5 years ago and still a good option to bring in when game slows down but because he has slowed down his height is now a factor as well

Slava Ukrainii

still is strong going forward but yeah his time is nearly up ,

was talking to a few north kerry people recreantly about foley , he has some story , serious hurdler apparently and sprinter when he was younger at listowel , no wonder the late jerry Kiernan was so critical of the gaa in his time , he is some athlete to be fair for the size of him

it also seems from that conversation that his area in north kerry is struggling for numbers at club level , very similar to up here with mass amalgamations is their going to be changes made in the divisional structures in time , will areas have to get bigger in time to cover the loss in numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Imagine Brian Sheehan was on the scene now, a roaming goalkeeper position was made for him.

That would be fascinating.

Imagine Ambrose, Timmy Moynihan, John Kennedy etc on Radio Kerry quickly having to change their tune about the their hatred of the romaing goalkeeper now that Kerry were doing it.

Murphys overall body strength was always a factor. Dublin exploited it in the last 10 mins of the drawn final in 2019. Good going forward but was tried in the forwards by Fitzmaurice and it didn't work. Has 2 AL medals which I commend him for but he should not be on the team at this stage.

Someone should message Radio Kerry with this suggestion.

I'm sure a few years ago they were suggesting this. Around the time they wanted David Moran Full Back 🙄

I texted Radio Kerry during Terrace Talk after the Kerry Roscommon game.

Told them they needed to get new younger analysts in.

Because it was nothing but negativity about the modern game, non stop fuckin moaning.

They don't know if they read it out, I had to turn it off it was so bad.

It is the same every week for years with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Its the same in every local radio station there is a couple of headers, think the clare FM lad is as mad as brush few them up the Midlands as well can't see beyond there own gets real excited some are very drool your lad in Midwest radio not great although finerty wasn't too bad.

Well it's not so much them being "homers" it's more that the constant narrative out of the Radio Kerry analysts is that modern football is awful.

And it's been like that for years.

I recall when Kerry failed to make the SF after the Group Stages in 2018 it was about Kerry having to go back to playing the "Kerry way" etc etc, completely oblivious to the fact that the so called "Kerry way" was useless in todays day and age.

They need to get new analysts who have played an won in the game in the last 20 years, not guys from the 70s and 80s.

On the Finnerty point, he is more than a local radio guy, he has worked network level games for RTE, Sky, BBC Ulster etc, so he's a step above the usual local yahoos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Modern football is poor to watch in my opinion not too many goal chances created , over and back presise passing no risks taken. Maybe its an age thing with us old lads.

Advertisement