Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Gael85 wrote: »
    Clare not a bad side. Colm Collins has worked wonders with a limited pool of resources. They lost 7 players that started against Mayo in Qualifiers last year. A lot of the top club players wont commit to county scene and other players have committed to the hurlers. Kerry wouldn't have them issues ;)

Yeah Clare aren't a bad side. They only lost by 22 points. I actually heard some Clare fans walking out afterwards delighted that they didn't concede any goals. Clare are a piss poor side and it showed today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Surely after today Kerry will take some stopping in winning Sam. Solid performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Surely ' give youth a chance ' is done by having 7 debutants.

I cannot see Darren O'Sullivan, Micheal G, or Maher influencing a game with 10-15 minutes to go if we are under pressure, in the backs neither can I see Fionn being the answer to any problems we may have. I prefer to see 1-2 more youngsters in there rather than a couple of them.
    Amprodude wrote: »
    Surely after today Kerry will take some stopping in winning Sam. Solid performance.

One swallow dose not make a summer. We know more after playing Cork in the Pairc. Not underestimating Clare but the reality is that Dublin is the team we have to measure ourselves against.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah Clare aren't a bad side. They only lost by 22 points. I actually heard some Clare fans walking out afterwards delighted that they didn't concede any goals. Clare are a piss poor side and it showed today

Your right clare were piss poor today but we aren't as bad as that , I felt the same about the fact we kept a clean sheet but realistically there's no appetite for this fixture in clare

We have 20 clubs playing football in the county maybe another 10 hurling clubs that play football , we don't have the resources for this level this is why a B championship needs ti be developed ,

Kerry played some excellent stuff today ye will take some stopping ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What time did he play for Cromane? He was at the match in the team gear with the other members of the panel.

Shane Enright was in a boot. Look like a long term injury.

Edit: Donnacha played on Saturday of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Gael85 wrote: »
    Clare not a bad side. Colm Collins has worked wonders with a limited pool of resources. They lost 7 players that started against Mayo in Qualifiers last year. A lot of the top club players wont commit to county scene and other players have committed to the hurlers. Kerry wouldn't have them issues ;)

In fairness, they did finish third in Division Two this year, won in Páirc Uí Rinn and drew with Cavan, which is more than can be said about Meath or Down this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

On Doonacha playing with Cromane - he didn't play a single minute in the league due to injury, so it makes sense for him to get some game-time with the club.

Regarding Clare, to be fair to them they didn't come and shut up shop and go ultra-defensive, which they could have done if their only interest was in keeping the margin down. I definitely got the feeling that they turned their card in early enough in the first half and by half time pretty much the entire team's main concern seemed to be not picking up any injuries or suspensions ahead of the qualifiers. I wouldn't be too shocked to see them go on a run in the qualifiers if they get any sort of decent draw (they've might well be due a bit of luck in terms of the qualifier draws) There will be tougher days ahead for the Kerry forwards I'd imagine.

As for Kerry it was job done and we're up and running. Lots of positives and it would feel a bit churlish to go pointing out the negatives.
    The fact that the match was over so quickly as a contest though means there is a bit of an asterisk against it and makes it that bit harder to analyse. The aul enemy across the border in their new stadium in a few weeks will probably tell us a lot more about where we are. Maybe it's my age but a Saturday evening Munster final feels all kinds of wrong to me.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    On Doonacha playing with Cromane - he didn't play a single minute in the league due to injury, so it makes sense for him to get some game-time with the club.

Regarding Clare, to be fair to them they didn't come and shut up shop and go ultra-defensive, which they could have done if their only interest was in keeping the margin down. I definitely got the feeling that they turned their card in early enough in the first half and by half time pretty much the entire team's main concern seemed to be not picking up any injuries or suspensions ahead of the qualifiers. I wouldn't be too shocked to see them go on a run in the qualifiers if they get any sort of decent draw (they've might well be due a bit of luck in terms of the qualifier draws) There will be tougher days ahead for the Kerry forwards I'd imagine.

As for Kerry it was job done and we're up and running. Lots of positives and it would feel a bit churlish to go pointing out the negatives.
    The fact that the match was over so quickly as a contest though means there is a bit of an asterisk against it and makes it that bit harder to analyse. The aul enemy across the border in their new stadium in a few weeks will probably tell us a lot more about where we are. Maybe it's my age but a Saturday evening Munster final feels all kinds of wrong to me.

Should be a handy win for Kerry in pairc ui chaoimh. Cork camp all in disarray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Should be a handy win for Kerry in pairc ui chaoimh. Cork camp all in disarray.

Have I missed something here?

Same As wrote: »
    Have I missed something here?

No. Amprodude comes out with the same shtick this time every year. Play up Kerry to the hilt and play down anyone they play. Then when they lose starts with the "how did they lose that" posts.

Don't feed it etc etc.

• Advertisement

No. Amprodude comes out with the same shtick this time every year. Play up Kerry to the hilt and play down anyone they play. Then when they lose starts with the "how did they lose that" posts.

Don't feed it etc etc.

It's an honest assessment I feel. Kerry are the form team and they are looking pretty good now. Cork be doing well to hold them to <20 points..Clare were a fantastic team and really weren't up to dismantling Kerry.

It's an honest assessment I feel. Kerry are the form team and they are looking pretty good now. Cork be doing well to hold them to <20 points..Clare were a fantastic team and really weren't up to dismantling Kerry.

:pac: :pac:

Do ye see what I mean?? Lol

I have to applaud your consistency anyway. Fair play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork had better give ye an infinitely better game than Clare did.
    That said, I find it hard not to see in or around a 10 point victory for Kerry.
    That's not playing up Kerry or playing down Cork.
    It's simply a very realistic outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

When does the novelty of being an internet wind-up merchant wear off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Did you miss what Cork did to that great Tipp team in the other semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

When does the novelty of being an internet wind-up merchant wear off?

When you add them to your ignore/ block list.

And you really should.

Was at the Game. P Geaney was motm for me by a mile.

The conditions were cauldron hot. Kerry ran out of steam halfway through the second half and 7 hungry subs came on and really upped the pace of the game.

Lads are obviously playing for places.

It remains to be seen how they do against Cork in Cork which will be a stiffer test but this Clare team have given us some frights in the last few years and Kerry simply blew them away

The pace at which they passed the ball and the interplay was the quickest I've ever seen from a Kerry team. They are a very well coached side.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

When you add them to your ignore/ block list.

And you really should.

Was at the Game. P Geaney was motm for me by a mile.

The conditions were cauldron hot. Kerry ran out of steam halfway through the second half and 7 hungry subs came on and really upped the pace of the game.

Lads are obviously playing for places.

It remains to be seen how they do against Cork in Cork which will be a stiffer test but this Clare team have given us some frights in the last few years and Kerry simply blew them away

The pace at which they passed the ball and the interplay was the quickest I've ever seen from a Kerry team. They are a very well coached side.

Any obvious change in style?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cork had better give ye an infinitely better game than Clare did.
    That said, I find it hard not to see in or around a 10 point victory for Kerry.
    That's not playing up Kerry or playing down Cork.
    It's simply a very realistic outcome.

The first 20 minutes will be vital. If Kerry build a 5/6 point lead it will only get bigger and be over by half time. I didn't see the Clare match but 32 points is some scoring whether Clare threw in the towel or not. In reality Cork can only hope to be competitive rather than any realistic chance of winning save for a sending off or a few goals going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any obvious change in style?

I've seen people in places talking about some aspects of 'same old, same old' for Kerry that have left me scratching my head.

I have genuinely never seen anything like what I saw from Kerry on Sunday before in several regards. I am a lot more confident of having to eat my words about a management bereft of ideas and nous in the coming months.

If we have a couple of additional ideas still under wraps I will be very impressed regardless of how we finish up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have genuinely never seen anything like what I saw from Kerry on Sunday before in several regards.

How so? Emphasis on quick ball? You won't be giving away any secrets! ;)

• Advertisement

How so? Emphasis on quick ball? You won't be giving away any secrets! ;)

There's a few descriptions of our approach to opposition kickouts in various articles, that was very effective and quite novel.

There appears to be some attempt at getting two spare men in front of the D to stop runners through the middle. It was also noticeable that on the rare occasions where Clare prevented Kerry moving the ball inside quickly that after short periods of shovelling handpasses around Stephen O'Brien came flying onto the ball at the same angle at least three times breaking straight through cover. Didn't look like a coincidence.

O'Brien and Burns seemed to be involved in some sort of rotation behind the half backs also. There looked to be some method to our kickouts but I would hope there is a bit more cooking away than what we saw on that front.

It was hard to get a handle on everything that was going on but in my eyes it was different to anything I've seen us do in the last couple of years in a few regards.

:pac: :pac:

Do ye see what I mean?? Lol

I have to applaud your consistency anyway. Fair play.

I always give credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I have genuinely never seen anything like what I saw from Kerry on Sunday before in several regards. I am a lot more confident of having to eat my words about a management bereft of ideas and nous in the coming months.

One small thing that I think was different was that someone seems to have taken the team aside and hammered into them the logic of shooting as soon as possible when you are in any sort of decent position when you have the 5 seconds for advantage. It's essentially a free shot at the posts as even if you balloon it wide you have a free. It drives me spare when players are attacking and the ref signals advantage and the players don't immediately work to get a shot off (even a relatively low quality one ) but stay in the mind-zone of trying to work the ball into an optimum shooting position. There was definitely 2 points scored while the ref was playing advantage (if not more) and there was one occasion where one of the players late on made a very serious attempt to throw the boot at it within the 5 seconds all while being heavily fouled (very bottle up 2 Clare players around them) even though they weren't in a great shooting position (especially in terms of their body position). It very much looked like the player (I think it was Gavin White) was aware of the logic of getting the shot away.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Wheldon was behind this as someone from a basketball background would have far more awareness of time management /using the shot clock. given how much a component of basketball the clock is in terms of getting a shot away.

Aside from shooting when having advantage there definitely seemed to be a shot clock mentality to Kerry's attacking play in general.

One of the best aspects to Dublin's play in recent years has been the speed with which they work a shot opening on the majority of their plays - it would be nice to think we were starting to try and do something similar.

Aside from shooting when having advantage there definitely seemed to be a shot clock mentality to Kerry's attacking play in general.

One of the best aspects to Dublin's play in recent years has been the speed with which they work a shot opening on the majority of their plays - it would be nice to think we were starting to try and do something similar.

I thought Kerry had their own style? Its not good if they have to copy Dublins. Just saying.

I thought Kerry had their own style? Its not good if they have to copy Dublins. Just saying.

ok

You again show how little your knowledge is of Kerry football

Slava Ukrainii

You again show how little your knowledge is of Kerry football

I think everyone is trying to figure it out including yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I think the biggest changes were the movement up top and the additional pace in the half forwards. I really like Donaghy and I’m glad he’s still there as an option but we have been very static in attack in the past when he is on the edge of the square. JOD dropped deep a lot and the other two never stopped running and making space. Paul Geaney was superb as always, Clifford was well watched and will hopefully grow in to the role.

Having genuine pace in the half forwards now is very welcome indeed. I wonder where Donnacha fits in when he comes back.

White and Murphy in particular did well coming from deep. Moran had a slow day and probably needed that game to shake off the ring rust, hopefully he is back to himself for the final.

Very good performance all around but we need to see more as Clare had thrown in the towel before half time.

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    I think the biggest changes were the movement up top and the additional pace in the half forwards. I really like Donaghy and I’m glad he’s still there as an option but we have been very static in attack in the past when he is on the edge of the square. JOD dropped deep a lot and the other two never stopped running and making space. Paul Geaney was superb as always, Clifford was well watched and will hopefully grow in to the role.

Having genuine pace in the half forwards now is very welcome indeed. I wonder where Donnacha fits in when he comes back.

White and Murphy in particular did well coming from deep. Moran had a slow day and probably needed that game to shake off the ring rust, hopefully he is back to himself for the final.

Very good performance all around but we need to see more as Clare had thrown in the towel before half time.

Donnacha age is against him he is 32 years old. Football is all about power, fitness and pace at present. Unless you use him instead of JOD or SOB it would be a step backwards to drop one of the younger players. It is unlikly we will win an All Ireland this year, over the last 2-3 years we have held on to older player on the hope of winning one. We got decimated by Mayo last year because of it.
    Last years championship was a step backwards after winning the league with younger players. I know we had injury problems but we saw the issues 2-3 players and having nothing on the bench. We need to be using younger players on every available space we can and that includes on the bench.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement