Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I could see Donnchadh as an option at midfield. Would still prefer to see him coming into the half forward line with 25 minutes to go than Mikey Geaney or Darran any day of the week also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

keane2097 wrote: »
    I could see Donnchadh as an option at midfield. Would still prefer to see him coming into the half forward line with 25 minutes to go than Mikey Geaney or Darran any day of the week also.

If we were 3-4 points up in a game and we needed a cool head he would be the best option along with Donoghy and BJK. I for one cannot see the reason for Maher, Darran, anf Fionn on the bench. Mikey Geany at least has age on his side but his footballing brain is the issue. Where I see the real problem is that if we need to change the pace of the game and up the tempo we have no forwards capable on the bench

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If we were 3-4 points up in a game and we needed a cool head he would be the best option along with Donoghy and BJK. I for one cannot see the reason for Maher, Darran, anf Fionn on the bench. Mikey Geany at least has age on his side but his footballing brain is the issue. Where I see the real problem is that if we need to change the pace of the game and up the tempo we have no forwards capable on the bench

I mean that's because the starting 15 we picked the last day is probably our highest tempo unit. If we could pick a forward to make that unit more high tempo or slicker we would be foolish to leave them on the bench.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I mean that's because the starting 15 we picked the last day is probably our highest tempo unit. If we could pick a forward to make that unit more high tempo or slicker we would be foolish to leave them on the bench.

With 15-25 minutes to go in any game wing forwards, half forwards and midfielders start to tire. Your bench then decide what way you finish the game. If you have older slower players then the tempo slow this is grand where you are ahead but if you are 1-2 points down or if the opposition is starting to eat into your lead you may need to raise the tempo of the game.

When Darren first started on the panel he was often bought on to do just that. add an injection of pace to the game. Kevin McMennem did it for Dublin on numerous occasions. I doo not see that in the subs bench at present. Most are older players whos pace is gone. IMO we need to bring 1-2 more pacy players on the bench

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

I wouldnlt say so, He's 29 this year so it's unlikely he'll get much better in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

who realistically can come into the panel that wasnt there the last day?

Barry O Sullivan.
    Killian Young.
    Shane Enright.
    Jack Savage.

then youve got a few more of the younger lads.

i assume Buckly and Lyne are 100% gone and wont be coming back.

the starting 15 looks really good but id be worried about the same 5 or 6 lads on the bench whove got alot of chances but always flatter to deceive when really needed.

for me its a worry that M Geaney was the first player in the last day, i think he is exceptionally lucky man to be getting game time but maybe he can have a good summer who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Barry O Sullivan.
    Killian Young.
    Shane Enright.
    Jack Savage.

the starting 15 looks really good but id be worried about the same 5 or 6 lads on the bench whove got alot of chances but always flatter to deceive when really needed.

for me its a worry that M Geaney was the first player in the last day, i think he is exceptionally lucky man to be getting game time but maybe he can have a good summer who knows.

IMO a lot of the fellas who had been around for a while without making an impact have gone i.e Lyne, O'Leary etc Other lads just don't seem to have pushed on Brendan O'Sullivan, Killian Spillane, Brian Crowley etc So as you say there hasn't really been anything new brought to the table. Thnk back to when BJK first came along in 2010 i don't see anyone at the momet doing something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Where I was in the terrace the last day was perfect to watch Mikey Geaney, 4 different times a player had the ball and looked right, no Mikey coming off the shoulder, each time Botty was roaring at him cmon cmon and then he'd go but the ball had already been recycled. It's an absolute mystery how he's near the panel. You shouldn't need to tell an average Junior B player to support your team mate never mind an inter county player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mikey will hardly be there if everyone is back fit. I think we will end up with something resembling the 26 below as first choice based on the league and last Sunday, and plugging the gaps due to injuries and suspensions with the extended panel. You could argue that a few of the extended panel like Young, Casey or Tom O’Sullivan should be on the 26 but I really don’t see how you could make a case for Fionn or Mikey Geaney if everyone is available.

S. Murphy, B. Kelly

J. Foley, O’Beaglaoich, S. Enright, T. Morley, G. Crowley, P. Crowley, G. White, P. Murphy, R. Shanahan, M. Griffin

D. Moran, A. Maher, J. Barry,

D. Clifford, K. McCarthy, M. Burns, JOD, K. Donaghy, Donnacha Walsh, S. O’Brien, P. Geaney, S. O’Shea, Darren O Sullivan, Barry John

Ext. panel:
    M. Geaney, K. Young, D. Casey, F. Fitzgerald, E. O’Conchuir, K. Spillane, A. Spillane, Tom O’Sullivan, C. Coffey, Barry O’Sullivan, Brendan O’Sullivan, J. Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Comprehensive win for the U20s footballers tonight vs Limerick, final score:

Kerry: 1-30 (33) Limerick: 0-05 (5).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry: 1-30 (33) Limerick: 0-05 (5).

Good for them with Clifford and O'Shea sticking with the Seniors. Big performances from Shaw and Fiachra Clifford. Donal O'Sullivan as well. The backs must have been on song conceding only 5 points. Some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Barry O Sullivan.
    Killian Young.
    Shane Enright.
    Jack Savage.

Jonathan Lyne transferred to Chicago for the summer.

On the senior squad front, Shane Enright is still recovering from injury and won't play a part in the Munster final. Mikey Geaney also picked up a knock and is doubtful. Donnchadh Walsh, Daithi Casey and Killian Young all available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I wonder if we'll see a slightly more physical team for Cork.

Kevin McCarthy for O'Brien or Clifford.

Maybe Mark Griffin in the backs.

Cork will bring a totally different level of intensity than Clare did.

Would be good to get 3 or 4 changes, that way if we get to the Super Eights, lads have gametime.

I'd like to see Crowley, Griffin, Casey and McCarthy feature at some point throughout the game, as you say we need to build up some game-time for rotation in the Super 8s.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Yerra sure didn't Thomás say that Munster was a one way street as well as Leinster. He clearly doesn't see Cork footballers up to much and sure he would know. Isn't he earning his crust in the middle of them.
    'Tis a pity that Kerry don't get much of a challenge in Munster.
    Might happen this year though. Am hearing that Ronan McCarthy has a few surprises up his sleeve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

wackokid wrote: »
    Yerra sure didn't Thomás say that Munster was a one way street as well as Leinster. He clearly doesn't see Cork footballers up to much and sure he would know. Isn't he earning his crust in the middle of them.
    Might happen this year though. Am hearing that Ronan McCarthy has a few surprises up his sleeve.

....not exactly surprises then.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll see a slightly more physical team for Cork.

Kevin McCarthy for O'Brien or Clifford.

Maybe Mark Griffin in the backs.

Cork will bring a totally different level of intensity than Clare did.

Would be good to get 3 or 4 changes, that way if we get to the Super Eights, lads have gametime.

Is Kevin McCarthy a physical sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

On the senior squad front, Shane Enright is still recovering from injury and won't play a part in the Munster final. Mikey Geaney also picked up a knock and is doubtful. Donnchadh Walsh, Daithi Casey and Killian Young all available.

Even with that news I'm expecting to see Geaney off the bench before Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Surprise surprise.........wait 'till Ronan rolls up his sleeves. 'tis a wan way street for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Surprise surprise.........wait 'till Ronan rolls up his sleeves. 'tis a wan way street for sure.

Classic Corkonian wearing sleeves in fúcking summer btw

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Where can we park on Saturday for the day? Preferably not Cork Con or Blackrock hurling club as I'd imagine they will be bottlenecks afterwards

stuba wrote: »
    Where can we park on Saturday for the day? Preferably not Cork Con or Blackrock hurling club as I'd imagine they will be bottlenecks afterwards

Ballincollig should be ok

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

stuba wrote: »

As a local, realistically you're gonna face a bottleneck if you want to park within a 20/25 minute walk. Your best bet (presuming you're looking to get back onto the link road for Kerry) may be parking up in the road before Cork Con by Ballinlough Gaa ground and going through the estates to get back onto the Well Road and then hop on the link from Douglas.

That's still a 25 minute walk and you'll want to be there relatively early if there's a decent crowd.

As a local, realistically you're gonna face a bottleneck if you want to park within a 20/25 minute walk. Your best bet (presuming you're looking to get back onto the link road for Kerry) may be parking up in the road before Cork Con by Ballinlough Gaa ground and going through the estates to get back onto the Well Road and then hop on the link from Douglas.

That's still a 25 minute walk and you'll want to be there relatively early if there's a decent crowd.

What about if you’re trying to get on to the M8 afterwards heading for Dublin? Any advice would be welcome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mickeyk wrote: »
    What about if you’re trying to get on to the M8 afterwards heading for Dublin? Any advice would be welcome

Park in the city and walk down. Going home, drive out past the train station towards Glanmire and onto the Dublin road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Kerry team has been announced....

Kerry: Shane Murphy; Jason Foley, Peter Crowley, Brian Ó Beaglaoich; Paul Murphy, Tadhg Morley, Gavin White; David Moran, Jack Barry; Michael Burns, Seán O’Shea, Stephen O’Brien; David Clifford, Paul Geaney, James O’Donoghue.

Brian Ó Beaglaoich comes into the full-back line in place of Ronan Shanahan in what is manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice’s only switch.

Fionn, Mikey Geaney and Gavin Crowley didn’t make the matchday panel, heard Mikey was injured but it looks like the other two were dropped. Tom & Barry O’Sullivan and Killian Young come in.

On another note, the U20’s utterly demolished Waterford 3-22 to 0-1 this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

BOB in to man mark Corks danger man?

Advertisement