Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya we are experienced.......experienced at losing

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

When was Paul Geaney last an accurate long distance shooter in championship football?

Paul Geaney has been a championship choker for a long time now. To think that Geaney has more to offer than a future star in Killian Burke is crazy stuff. Tony Brosnan even had more impact than him and he’s a serial under performer.

On the Geaney name, Is Dylan Geaney injured? Would much prefer him as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

Ennis for the Munster final. 1.45 throw in. That'll be a disaster for anyone travelling with the Limerick marathon on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭KerryM9

Why? You just go around Limerick on the N18..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭KerryM9

Why? You just go around Limerick on the N18..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Piskin

Dylan Geaney is a much better option than P Geaney for sure. P Geaney should have retired after 2022 Final also S o' Brien & Paul Murphy. Hopefully D Geaney & C Burke will be fit for the Championship as they are creative players with youth on their side and something to prove.

Tony Brosnan & D o' Connor have to finally up their game as they have under performed for far too long. Dara Moynihan is only ever ok against weaker teams and is lost at sea against stronger teams, he is 26 now and should be in his prime, has had enough experience at this level to stake a claim. K Spillane is a much better option, even D Geaney could offer more. The team needs something fresh & new this year but with the current management set up I fear they will not take any chances. If we don't win the AI I want to see the team play with some character & much needed creativity at least. Win or lose it's Jack's last year so hopefully he will let the younger players loose on the pitch, we are playing with too much restraint & fear for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Seems to be chalk and cheese by the hurlers this year - after what could only be considered a wretched league, they now have two emphatic wins over Westmeath and Down in the Joe McDonagh Cup. Admittedly, they'd be very much outside bets to upset either Laois or Offaly, but the final's now a realistic target.

Could find ourselves with a tricky group when the All-Ireland draw is made on Tuesday - 50% chance of getting Armagh/Donegal or Galway/Mayo as the provincial seeds, similarly of Derry and Tyrone as third seeds.

We might be as well off with a hard group. We got what we taught was a handy group last year abd we were not battle hardened enough going into the knockout stage

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i never realised just how long a drive it is for people from dingle or waterville , i met a few up here before covid at a game here it was over 2 hours of a drive , i imagine limerick brakes the fall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Dingle would be 2 hours and a bit but Waterville would be nearer three

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭50HX

We certainly got the easiest of the 4 groups

If we beat Clare which we should we will have Monoghan at home, Louth at a neutral venue and Meath away. We will have no decent match before a QF probably

Slava Ukrainii

Good performance by the U20s tonight - Rob Stack and Luke Crowley are obviously the recognised talents on the panel, but Tomás Kennedy and Gearóid Evans also stood out tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

good performance for sure… and Kerry have plenty of footballing talent coming through.. but you just wonder how good were Cork…. there skill level was nowhere near the standard of the Kerry players and fitness wise they looked a tad off the pace…. it was game over 5mins into 2nd half… I would expect that the semifinal against Meath who looked very impressive dispatching Louth will be a stiffer test… still Tomas has 2 munsters in a row at this level…

any chance the ferry will sink 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Forge83

Fair play to Clare today giving us a solid test. They looked very well set up for us. Individually most of our guys did well but we don’t see to be operating as a unit well at all. The inability to score goals is the biggest evidence of this.

Jason Foley was excellent on his return. Tony Brosnan showed his scoring ability that everyone knows he has. Shane Murphy even did well in goals. Brian O Beaglaoich solid on his return too. Paul Murphy is playing his best football in a long time.

On the negative side, it looks like Stephen O Briens speed is gone. I don’t recall him taking on the Clare back line once. Even in his tracking back he didn’t look like in great shape. Lastly to repeat what I’ve said before, Joe O Connor is not the answer at midfield, himself and Diarmuid have no chemistry as a midfield partnership. Jack needs to try something new in the group stages like other counties have done. Dublin tried James McCarthy, Galway had Sean Kelly today etc. If Jack doesn’t think Barry Dan is the answer then maybe Mike Breen could do a job there or try Sean O Shea there again(His Mobility has improved massively this year so will get around the field a lot easier).

D O Connor is the problem in midfield. Keep Murphy in goal for the next match and try S Ryan in midfield instead of D o' Connor. Barry Dan is also an option. Midfield is our weakest area in a lot of weak areas in the current set up. S o' Brien should not be on the panel for sure. Dara Moynihan again brings nothing productive and should be dropped. T Brosnan again does well against a smaller team but can he step up this year finally?. Jack needs to get rid of Quirke & Murphy and bring in another two with fresh ideas. This current set up has been poor for the second year running. We have regressed badly since the start of 2023 so management needs to be changed.

• Advertisement

most of the clare praise needs to be directed to the o'rahillys man on the clare sideline ,

he got his matchups bang on but the difference in class won out , it was probably a bit of an fa cup tie with the novelty of home advantage too , but at least we threw everything at kerry and fought to the end which is something i have been very critical of better clare teams in the past for not doing

it would be a worry how much joy we got when we ran at the kerry backs, i get the paul murphy argument now too , he was picking up aaron griffin and was 2nd to every ball kicked in to him, i taught foley was excellent on his return i didn't think we would see him back so soon , i think some of the scores tony brosnan and david clifford kicked were exceptional because in cliffords case in particular the lads marking them did well in general

in truth i was worried we wouldn't surpass 10 points given the amount of players we lost after last year especially scoring forwards but the attitude was excellent in fairness hopefully we can back it up and beat cork in two weeks time , for kerry going forward the lack of impact the subs made has to change also the midfield took a bit of a hit too at times but it must be good to have foley and Beaglaoich back fit and ready for bigger challenges ahead , i have no doubt gavin white will be raring to go when it matters in a few weeks time too

Spot on analysis of the game and Kerry set up. Having Paul Murphy, S o' Brien and P Geaney still playing is suicidal. Dara Moynihan also in that group. Keep S Murphy in goal for the next 2 games and put S Ryan in midfield as D o' Connor is not cutting it at this level. Wide open through the centre of defence again when run at, no playmaker, slow movement and fitness & strength not even close to Dublin,Derry & Donegal. The Kerry Board must act and get rid of Quirke & Murphy and bring in fresh faces & ideas. We have seriously regressed since 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cms88

Sad to hear the passing of Seán Óg Sheehy 1962 All-Ireland winning captain.

Very creditable performance by Parnells on their Championship debut - only defeated 0-16 to 0-14 by Lixnaw, despite a number of senior players being unavailable, perhaps they might upset Abbeydorney next time out.

there is real potential in kerry hurling but , the clubs need to either set up a competition with west limerick or duhallow clubs or join another county's leagues to get the best out of them , the standard is quiet good at club level but rushing it off over the next few weeks dose nothing either

Any update on Graham O Sullivians ankle injury

Slava Ukrainii

In recent years Crokes and in the late 2000s Kilgarvin both played in the Duhallow leagues. Daugh even played in West Limerick at one point.

The CB as with many things hurling related just want it out of the ASAP and don't give it a second thought.

I think we're in a growth phase of Kerry hurling.

Lots of clubs that never had hurling are coaching it underage now eg Crowley in Rathmore.

So in time we'll have a greater spread of players.

Well hurling isn't actually new in Rathmore. They got to a county final in the 30's and would have had a Junior team until at least the 80's.

• Advertisement

Lol. Good knowledge. I didn't know that.

But hurling's definitely bring coached in lots of clubs across the county that previously weren't.

Advertisement