Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

BOB in to man mark Corks danger man?

Don’t think he is an out and out man marker any more than Shanahan, it’s probably just a case of playing better in training. O’Beaglaoich is a serious talent and I think he’ll make that spot his own if he can stay clear of injuries.

Great to see Killian Young back too. His experience could be very important later on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No one expected Cork to win. Everyone expected a comfortable win for Kerry. But that was a 17 point beating.
    Kerry are clearly marching to a different beat. Possession from kickouts was vital for Cork, it didn't happen. Give Kerry fowards that amount of ball and they will punish you.
    Kerry's defence looked very shaky in the first 10 mins but we're never really tested afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kerrys defence was tested time and time again. Cork just could not get space.

**** me that was impressive. Best ive ever seem from a Kerry team. Frightening place. 50 yard passes into space. Theres a huge amount of trust between players knowing the other player will get there first. The kickpass down the side line before the third goal was just incredible.

This is a serious team. Im delighted we get the super 8s to accelerate their development

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cork more interested in throwing shapes off the ball. They're a shambles. Not what Kerry need, they needed a test but onto the super 8s now and see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Guaranteed a tough test against Galway at least, possibly Tyrone as well. Presume Mayo would have to go into Dublin's group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Guaranteed a tough test against Galway at least, possibly Tyrone as well. Presume Mayo would have to go into Dublin's group?

Depends on the draw. Mayo and Tyrone could end up with Galway Kerry. Ulster runner up or qualifier and Leinster runner up or qualifier. It's all open draws so super eight qualifier wise could be anyone really.

Brilliant performance tonight but you’d have to say cork were shockingly bad, as bad as I have ever seen in my lifetime. They had no gameplan at all and some of their lads didn’t look that fit to me.

Galway will be a much better gauge of where we are in a few weeks as they won’t give us the space we had tonight, it was just so easy.

Peter Crowley and Moran were good tonight and look to be coming in to some form which is a big positive as I think theyre very important players for us. Geaney and Murphy outstanding again as well, and I am very encouraged by how JOD is moving. So far so good but the big tests are yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why not stick Kerry into the Leinster or Connacht championship as they did with Galway in the hurling in Leinster . There’s no competitor in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Cork are one match away from the eights ? That's scary.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why not stick Kerry into the Leinster or Connacht championship as they did with Galway in the hurling in Leinster . There’s no competitor in Munster

There is none in leinster either. Connacht and Ulster have been the only competitive provinces for nearly 10 years.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote:

No competition in Leinster for Dublin. For years Mayo hammered every team in Connacht. Time provincials in football were done away with. Great for Galway to win a Connacht last week but the added pressure of playing Mayo is almost sickening at this stage. Rather see it set up differently. Hurling is going the right way football needs to follow.

No competition in Leinster for Dublin. For years Mayo hammered every team in Connacht. Time provincials in football were done away with. Great for Galway to win a Connacht last week but the added pressure of playing Mayo is almost sickening at this stage. Rather see it set up differently. Hurling is going the right way football needs to follow.

There has been 3 different winners in Connacht in the past 4 years, can't get much more competitive than that.

seachto7 wrote: »

If we are going to be shifting counties around willy nilly then wtf is the point in the provincials in the first place? Just scrapping them and going with a different format would make a lot more sense.

There has been 3 different winners in Connacht in the past 4 years, can't get much more competitive than that.

Still would like to see it changed. Connacht and Ulster for the moment are going well at the moment and power to it but it luck more than design that it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was at the match tonight. Cork were poor. They caught us for the two goals early but we closed up shop after that. Did not see either of the Cork goals as I was at the Blackrock end. But from then on we dominated the game. The young lads were all well able. Stephen O'Brien took his goal early but his tackle for the black card was stupid. One thing that impressed me was that we really pushed up on the kickouts and won a load of possession from this.

As far as I can see our bench is the issue. Darren is not an option and looked poor when he came on. Kevin McCarthy was not overly impressive either. Mark Griffin looks fit but I am not sure about Killian. Donnahy is not at the pace yet but may have something to contribute if he can get a bit fitter and sharper. Barry John came on too late to judge.

The draw Monday morning will tell a lot as Monaghan cannot play Tyrone it is possible that either could draw Mayo. With Parson and now Seamus O Se gone may will have virtually no first choice midfielder now. If teams push up on there kickouts they could be under pressure.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Cork were bad and maybe made Kerry look better than they are.
    Gavin White was absolutely outstanding for Kerry. He has serious pace, can defend and attack with great effect. Clifford, Geaney, O Donoghue and O Brien before the black card were all fantastic.

I thought Burns was poor today, as was Darren O Sullivan when introduced.
    The Cork number 12 had the beating of Crowley before he got black carded. He also got the mismatch on Murphy for the first goal; what were management thinking that they didn’t make an immediate positional change when they saw Murphy at full back.

Kevin McCarthy, Barry John, Griffin and Donaghy were solid when introduced. Killian not on long enough.

We will be hoping for a bit of luck in the Super 8s draw. But before that we need a solution for full back as it’s not Crowley. Overall great to get the win and get more game time for the younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Fantastic stuff again tonight , the defensive structure is probably the best in the country at the moment , whether its cork Clare or whomever this Kerry team is miles ahead of most of the country , I highly doubt galway would give ye a game the way ye are shaping up at the moment ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fantastic stuff again tonight , the defensive structure is probably the best in the country at the moment , whether its cork Clare or whomever this Kerry team is miles ahead of most of the country , I highly doubt galway would give ye a game the way ye are shaping up at the moment ,

Lol. The defence was not existent for both goals. They only started getting on top when the number 12 was wrongly black carded. I don't know where you're from (I'd guess Clare) but it just seems to be a lot of blow holing on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

When did Mayo hammer teams for years in Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The black card for Deane was an easy call for me. He followed through into Foley deliberately. He shouldered him in the chest. He made no attempt to avoid a collision. Thats a body check. That's a black card.

The first black card for Cork was not a black card at all. He pulled his jersey but didn't pull him to ground.

O'Brien's was correct. Stupid pull down.

• Advertisement

crusier wrote:
    When did Mayo hammer teams for years in Connacht?

Between 2011 and 2015 when they won five Connacht championships in a row. And yes they dished out some heavy beatings. Not every game over that period but a lot games were very one sided involving Mayo. 2013 in particular was a poor year for competitiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

DDC1990 wrote: »
    The black card for Deane was an easy call for me. He followed through into Foley deliberately. He shouldered him in the chest. He made no attempt to avoid a collision. Thats a body check. That's a black card.

Why would he have wanted to avoid the collision? He had the ball a split second before the contact. He can run where he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

dobman88 wrote: »
    Lol. The defence was not existent for both goals. They only started getting on top when the number 12 was wrongly black carded. I don't know where you're from (I'd guess Clare) but it just seems to be a lot of blow holing on your part.

both goals were conceded inside the first 10 or 15 minutes , kerry conceded what a further two points from play over the next 55 or so minutes , thats not bad defending ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Why would he have wanted to avoid the collision? He had the ball a split second before the contact. He can run where he wanted.

No he can't - the rule in the rule book is that it is a black card offence
    5.12 To deliberately collide with an opponent after he
    has played the ball away or for the purpose of
    taking him out of the movement of play.

He deliberately collided with the Kerry defender to take him out of play, to make things easier for Connolly, the player he had laid the ball off to.

If you watch it back you can see that it left Connolly unmarked in space and he managed to put the ball over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    No he can't - the rule in the rule book is that it is a black card offence

He deliberately collided with the Kerry defender to take him out of play, to make things easier for Connolly, the player he had laid the ball off to.

If you watch it back you can see that it left Connolly unmarked in space and he managed to put the ball over the bar.

Fair enough, but where is he supposed to go after he hand-passed the ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Fair enough, but where is he supposed to go after he hand-passed the ball?

He has to try an avoid the collision. If he looks like he's trying to avoid it and bangs into Foley he probably gets away with it.

It's tough in this instance because the collision happens so quickly. Maybe he was trying to avoid the hit, but thw turning of the shoulder in that split second certainly makes it look deliberate.

Kerry had the game won at that point anyway IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

fwiw I thought both black cards for Cork were harsh. I see the reasoning for Deanes black but I don't think it was all the same. If he had carried on the run for 4 or 5 steps and nailed the man then fair enough but it was all in the one movement and I thought it was harsh.
    O Briens was daft. Either way I don't think they had a massive bearing on the game, Cork were dreadful. It wasn't really mentioned anywhere but were the 2 Cork goals throwballs? The second especially looked like he threw it across the square. Not that it makes any real difference but that was my reading of it.
    Neither team will learn anything from that, Kerry still haven't had any sort of test and that cant be a good thing
    Hard to see Cork beating anyone in the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think Dean's black card is an example of why the black card should be reduced to two offences, the deliberate pull down and mouthing off to officals, everything else is far too subjective, and reffs already have a lot to keep their eyes and minds on.

Thrown in a auld 13m free for ever black card too, that'll learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I spose this falls under the catagory of a third man tackle/taking an opponent out.
    I saw on TSG last night a Down player black carded (and quite rightly too)for arguing with an official. Some fellas never learn
    But yeah a tap over free might get the message through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

At least the junior final should go right to the wire, level at 1-4 to 0-7 19 minutes in.

Advertisement