Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

Kerry and Jack O Connor keep repeating the same mistakes and end up with the same result. Very nieve and when Kerry were on top we did not press the advantage home. We need to look at the type of players we are picking. We seem to pick the same type of players in our defence White, O Beaglaoich, Murphy, Tom O Sullivan all very similar. There isn't enough focus on the clubs that aren't producing county players and why aren't they? There are large parts of North Kerry and South Kerry with no players. Biggish clubs like Desmonds, Ballymac, St Mary's, Listowel, Laune Rangers not represented. A lot of food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Hopefully Cillian Burke is around in future, was good when he came on bar one wide.

There’s a few I hope hang up their boots now, one in particular in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is more than one. We need a complete restructure. Geany, Murphy, Morley are all gone in that order. We need a few bite and bollax players.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Your first one was my one in particular.

Thought Murphy did ok today but yeah he has shown the effects of mileage on a few occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Very disappointing but absolutely no complaints and the best team is in the final

It was very noticeable that our legs were gone down the stretch while Armagh were flying

The slow build up game-plan worked against Derry but it doesn’t help to get our best players on the ball, they didn’t try to break quickly and get fast ball in at any stage

The Goal was obviously the turning point and it gave Armagh huge belief, they duly kicked on and played all the football after that.

Definitely a few retirements coming up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The reality is ,it is an average team and really depends if David Clifford performs. He did not show up today and was one of the poorest players on the field bar the massive point he scored from the sideline ,it was a harmless display by him ,imo he is overhyped

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You look at this team compared to the naughties team. How many would make the mustard.

DC, maybe Foley st FB,but none of the rest

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

tough year for the GOAT

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Frustrating result as we had the game well under control in the first 45/50 mins. The reality is 3 mistakes from Ryan combined with a few soft frees from Gough left Armagh back into the game. After that Armagh took over and drove on to a deserved win.

Paul Geaney was once again terrible. He was a mistake machine. Jacks first mistake was starting him and his second was not taking him off at half time.He has choked in every big game for 5/6 years now and will go down as the most over rated Kerry player of all time. Hopefully it will be the last we see of him.

We have too many players who are not good enough at this level. Joe O Connor, Barry Dan, Sean O Brien and even Killian Spillane who has zero consistency. The reality is none of them are really good enough. Barry Dan and O Brien are just too slow for inter county.

Game started with loads of kick passing. Dara Moynihan kicked a few fantastic passes. We went up by 3 points and they just stopped and reverted back to this stupid ponderous games. Why didn’t they just keep going the way they started. So frustrating.

On the positive. Mike Breen was excellent when he came on.I’d have had him or Killian Burke at midfield all day ahead of Joe O Connor. Killian Burke and Dylan Geaney will be serious players next year.

Shout out to Paul Murphy who I’ve slated many a time. He’s had a great year and played well today.

P Geaney and Stephen O Brien will both surely retire. Morley and Paul Murphy should have another year in them but maybe as squad players. Jack will surely move on and we will see either Fitzmaurice back or Tomas O Se take on the job. Kieran Donaghy maybe even 💪

Lastly on David Clifford. Below his usual best but playing in a style that doesn’t bring out the best in him. That combined with a lot of change in his life in the last 12-18 months, I think he should be cut some slack. I’d back him to be back to his best next year. Form is temporary but class is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

You probably right, always loved the Armagh crowd they loved there football I remember 2002 one of the best nights I had in Dublin even though we lost I always felt that was a good day for football, probably a good day for football now with Dublin and Kerry gone, and there will be an extra pep in there step tomorrow, our day will come again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Piskin

S Ryan, Tom o' Sullivan, Seanie o' Shea, D o' Connor & Dara Moynihan need to be dropped from the panel before any progress can be made. D Clifford needs to learn how to play the game at senior level as his skill's alone is not cutting it, his positional sense and running to make space is poor for his experience. Draft C Burke into midfield alongside Joe o' Connor as he has a great football brain and is strong fast & aggressive. D Casey was good when he came on and should have been on instead of Tom 0' Sullivan. P Murphy played his heart out but is now surely retiring. P Geaney should not have been on that panel never mind the pitch, has not been the same player since 2017. S Ryan I don't feel sorry for as he was always prone to brain farts like today, never worked to fix that part of his game unlike Cluxton to did!! C Burke, D Casey, D Geaney need to be regulars next year. T Brosnan as well. New management with fresh idea's and better coaching as way too many costly mistakes occurring again & again.

I would pick most of those forwards back then instead of D Clifford, they had a better overall game in them, could read the game and stood up when it mattered.

I got kicked off forums in the past for saying the same!! He is overrated and his overall game is very average, has good skills but you need more than that. Seanie o' Shea is another, 8 years playing senior football ffs. We have too many glorified minors who never stepped up to senior level at least not to it's highest level. At least 5 players on that panel need to be dropped next year as they have proved over and over that they can't cut it at the highest level.

He did himself proud today, was his biggest critic the last few years but he was immense today and showed leadership when so called better & more talented players did not. Kudos to that man!!

Dara Moynihan, D o' Connor & S Ryan need to be gone as well. Blood a new management & new players for 2 years to freshen things up. We have too many players who know how to lose games we should win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

yep… One of our better performers throughout the year and died with his boots on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

He was quiet but it has to be said the style of play is a complete disaster for Clifford. By the time the ball is worked up the opponent has 15 behind the ball and DC is bottled up.

He is at his best getting early ball in where he can claim the mark or just get the ball in a bit of space. He is almost unplayable if you get the right ball in to him. We haven’t been all year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Officer999

A lot of over analysis here by armchair pundits but if Shane Ryan comes out and claims that high ball instead of fumbling it then Kerry are in an Ireland final.

Hard to begrudge Armagh fans tho, 3 penalty defeats is heartbreaking and they deserve to go to an Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

We need to go back to basics. We have too many forwards that are afraid to shoot, 30 yards out and they're handpassing it up to try and kick from 20 yards. Id rather see a fella have a cut from 40 yards and kill the ball rather than run into traffic and turning it over. Mind you most county teams are the same now, fellas are scared sh1tless to shoot and miss.
    We had plenty chances to put that game to bed, time for JOC to move on as a fresh voice is needed
    Nothing against Armagh or Donegal bu id love to see Galway win it out from here

It was a funny kind of game we were well on top in the first half but just couldn't put them away, after our goal they stayed in it kept plugging away they got there goal and the crowd really got going and they built momentum and we had nothing left in extra time. Hard to explain what happened, we had chances, but just didn't happen today, I remember what Jack o Connor said after 22 when they won he said they were enjoying it there was excitement there full of energy, The system seems to have drained the life out of these very talented players like who wants to see David Clifford back in the backs and Tom O Sullivan snathing at a goal chance. No excuses here we got bet by a team who played like they had sweet Fucvk all to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lets take two people more qualified then me

1 , ambrose o donovon ,(radio kerry) every attack on the opposition goal should be kicked dead

2 michael murphy , (bbc) , the ratio for scoring is 35 seconds , if you are any longer in possession in attack your chances are provenly diminished

two brilliant pundits that have been singing Kerry's flaws all year , lads in kerry called jack o connor a dinosaur , in fairness he is too caught up in the modern game and tactice going on the last two games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think the point people are making is that Shane Ryan doesn't claim the high ball. A parallel world is attractive though, even fun sometimes. If Tipperary don't score a last minute goal and point against Waterford back in April, Cork are not in the All Ireland Final next Sunday. If Fermanagh score more than everyone they play they are in an All Ireland Final too. If Séamus Darby hits the post Kerry have five in a row. But not sure what imagining an alternative scenario achieves in the case of a Kerry post-mortem. You could easily have Kerry going for three in a row this morning if you reimagine the outcome of individual incidents.

Chances are an All Ireland semi final will often come down to small margins. Ryan's blunder is the kind of small margin which cannot happen if you want to win a tight match. That Kerry would be in a final if he hadn't made it just amplifies its importance. That's kinda the whole point really. It wasn't even just the three points as the sense it gave that the game was definitely winnable for Armagh after they had trailed by 4/5 points fairly often. All these Kerry players are in their own right talented footballers, but the team is ordinary, and was even an ordinary champion team in '22, and it's hardly outrageous for "armchair" critics to have their say I think.

Begrudging Armagh doesn't really come into it from what I read here. They were by far the better team in the last 40 minutes of that. A six-point margin would have reflected their superiority more appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

Very disappointing result, soft frees added up. Did we do any work on Gough, Armagh did not give anyway. We tried to control it too much, a lot of turnovers in the 2nd half and we should have moved the ball at pace and check them out, versus the slow build up and working to getting a shot off ala basketball 3 pointers. Looks like they used DC and SOS to pull the defence out of shape rather than been exploited with quick ball. This slow build up does help the likes of Spillane etc. We must switch back and forth as needed. Never pressed the kick out, we should have mixed it up. This robbed a chance to get an easy score with the defense set up facing in the wrong direction. Like Aramgh did and the msitakes or we win the ball presents way more options

We looked tiered both physically and mentally, this is another wound that will hang over us. Disappointed we can’t seem to close it out enough when it gets down to the wire. We did it in 2022 final, but we have fallen when the pressure is on Cork, Tyrone, Dublin last year and Armagh this year.

Lack of a right leg by O Sullivan, read about the great players mostly kick with their preferred foot, but can kick when they see the chance or the option with their other. This needs to be hammered home to all underage development squads.

Been around the development squads and very little development going on, good football. But development it is survival of the fitness, not enough going into coaching real coaching. They are never given any guidance on what to improve, but rather keep practicing. Which is not the way i would think the underage teams of the north seem to be taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

2019 - draw Dublin after playing against 14 men for more than a half of football showing some tactical inexperience. Well beaten in replay.

2020 - knockout. Lose to Cork who then lose to Tipp in Munster final.

2021 - Tyrone AI semi final loss. Kept running into contact and got punished accordingly by a well drilled Tyrone.

2022 - Winners but took absolutely everything we had in the tank to beat Galway down the stretch and Dublin missing some key players to scrape over a semi final

2023 - Final loss v Dublin.

2024 - Semi loss v Armagh.

This team is old enough and experienced enough to have the full weight of expectations on their shoulders now. I'm not going to start cutting any players cos they'll be feeling sh!t enough about themselves but it's a bad sign when Paul Murphy looked to be our saviour and I say that as a massive fan of his. He's given some outstanding service over the years.

Like I said yesterday, I've no idea where to go from here but this one stings more than the other losses tbh. Maybe my own expectations were too high but I thought after all the losses, kerry were finally maturing. And I was wrong.

They have learned nothing in truth. All the players know is how to lose games they should win. Serious lack of composure when under pressure, superstar minors who have failed to establish themselves in senior football.Paddy Tally the only coach who has made any improvement. How many excuses do we have to make about D Clifford? He has been on the team 7 years now yet is easily marshalled by opposing backs and his positioning & shooting is wild west wayward in crunch moments. No way should Mike Quirke & D Murphy ever get the job when Jack leaves as again they proved they have no tactical nous. Their is talent but it is not being developed as we see the same old mistakes from players again & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭thesultan

Thought Tomàs spoke well on the Sunday game yesterday in how we haven't been able to play well all year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Word today that he's potentially off to Geelong to play with Mark O'Connor.

Thats going to be a tough loss to deal with if it plays out.

Advertisement