Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cork camp all in disarray.

This fella knows his stuff in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Kerry Juniors defeated Kildare today, 2-17 to 1-14. They will now play Galway in the All Ireland Junior Final on the weekend of July 21/22.
    That might change though, depending on other major tournament finals taking place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

D'Agger wrote: »
    That might change though, depending on other major tournament finals taking place

What other major tournament finals are on that weekend? World cup will be over. Wimbledon will be over. The golf will be on alright but can't see many people having an interest in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Monaghan won against Laois, 0-19 to 1-11.

That means that Group 1 consists of:

Kerry
    Galway
    Kildare
    Monaghan

Kerry and Galway play next Sunday in Croke Park.

Kerry will travel to Monaghan on the weekend of July 21/22.

Kerry will play Kildare at home for the final group fixture on the bank holiday weekend, August 04/05.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dobman88 wrote: »
    What other major tournament finals are on that weekend? World cup will be over. Wimbledon will be over. The golf will be on alright but can't see many people having an interest in that.
    I'm poking fun at the WC situation re:Galway game

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm poking fun at the WC situation re:Galway game

Ah. You need not worry. It's over on the 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Roscommon are a very decent side. Some very good forwards.

Much better side than either Clare or Cork.

You think .....really ? Clare hammered roscommon 2 years ago to qualify for the all Ireland 1/4 final , cork have lost and lost well to clare on both there last two outings

What annoys me is people in football still base counties on what they do traditionally , at the moment clare are a lot better then most traditionall football counties

Galway have a job on there hands against Kerry especially how well they are playing at the moment cant see next week been much different maybe under double figures but not by much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Disappointing that the dates for all the Group matches are still unknown. It would be helpful for planning travel to know when the Monaghan and Kildare matches will be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

U20 Football and u21 Hurlers are in a double header v Kildare in Limerick on Saturday. Was hoping for a 12pm game in Croker for the Footballers but the double header makes sense.

Funny that Mayo play Derry in the Football and Hurling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Radio5 wrote: »
    Disappointing that the dates for all the Group matches are still unknown. It would be helpful for planning travel to know when the Monaghan and Kildare matches will be played.

Agree GAA taking supporters for granted as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Tickets bought. Hope for a good day out. First match to Galway crucial with trip to Clones the week after.

World Cup set to record on Sky box so don't be talking about the result up there, i don't want to know :)

Team named for Sunday. Kevin McCarthy replaces Micheal Burns in the half-forward line. Donnchadh returns to the panel.
    2HqXt3oDlZTSp7g2MwSthEkOLsuw86V4.jpeg

Mikey Geaney out of the panel. There is a God after all. Think Burns is unlucky, did well last few games imo. Kev Mac must be going well in training. Really looking forward to Sunday. Expecting 2 crackers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Would be afraid of the subs bench, only three young players out of the 11, Burns, Shanahan and O'Sullivan. I think DOS has nothing to offer off the bench, Maher and Young are the same. Donnchadh Walsh I would give the benifit of the doubt to but I would prefer to see another young player or two on the bench.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would be afraid of the subs bench, only three young players out of the 11, Burns, Shanahan and O'Sullivan. I think DOS has nothing to offer off the bench, Maher and Young are the same. Donnchadh Walsh I would give the benifit of the doubt to but I would prefer to see another young player or two on the bench.

Does Shanahan qualify as a young player? He is roughly the same age as Mark Griffen and a few others, I know he is relatively new on the scene but he is 26-27 iirc.

While I do agree we lack game changers on the bench I can’t think of too many youngsters around the county that are hard done by to be left out. I also think that Darren, Killian and Maher have plenty to offer if they can stay healthy. They are all coming back from various injuries and will get sharper as they go.

Just to remind fellas the U20 game is on tg4 at 4pm today for anyone that can't make it to Limerick.

Lads crazy pessimistic with the bench talk. We have speed, experience, physicality in backs and forwards out there. Then you have Maher who is an excellent option for 20 minutes around the middle.

We'd all love it to see Gavin Crowley, Eanna O'Connor, Killian Spillane, Barry O'Sullivan etc making their way into the panel at this stage but based on the games I've been at this year they are just not ready yet IMO.

You can't go out with a bench full of Rookies. You need the likes of Donnacha, Young, Maher and BJK as a bit of experience on the bench, in case things are going pear shaped.

As for the match, Galway are a tough prospect to match up against. They have good scoring forwards and loads of pace. Their defenders are young but seriously tight and physical. They get plenty of numbers back, so we will need to be super sharp from 30+ metres. Midfield will be in for a slog if we push up on kickouts as expected. Gavin White and Paul Murphy will need to be aware of flick ons from midfield, to Brannigan, Kelly and Heaney who have unreal pace.

Hard to know what changes Galway will make, but based on the team that faced Roscommon, I see our Wing Forwards as a potential plus.
    O'Brien vs Seán Kelly and McCarthy v Cathal Sweeney could be where we might be able to break them down.

Obviously Damian Comer is a mismatch vs any defender we have. Peter Crowley is the only player we have who will be able to give him a go man to man, but Comer will be a crazy mismatch on pace there.

I think Foley will mark Ian Burke.
    BO'B on McHugh.
    Morley will sweep mostly, but if going Man to Man he'll go on Johnny Heaney.
    Paul Murphy on Shane Walsh.
    Gavin White on Eamonn Brannigan.

I'd imagine Galway will have Bradshaw on Seán O'Shea and try and bully him. O'Shea will have to wear the XS jersey to keep out of his clutches!
    Kyne should mark James.
    Seán Andy on Geaney.
    Wyne on Clifford.

I could see Galway naming Conroy at 11 and playing Cooke over McHugh. It wouldn't be my call in Croke Park, as pace would be more important over size, but we would struggle to find 2 big men to cover Comer and Conroy. It could be a job for Mark Griffin later in the game if they go down those lines.

Donaghy is a real option off the bench to totally change our style. It would make Galway retreat that bit further to cover breaks off Donaghy and open up space for our shooters a bit further out the field.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the Galway v Kerry game has the potential to be closer than many are calling it, many seem to think a Kerry win is inevitable.

Galway have become more physical since last year, they will still concede possession to Kerry but will hit them alot harder when they tackle.

They let teams come on to them then hit them on the break, and as we know Kerry can be exposed at the back.

So as the other poster said, Kerry will have to be accurate from distance.
    And Donaghey could be an important addition when needed to mix up the attack and make Galway think about it.

But Galway have been inconsistent, their Connacht final performance was cat for 60+ minutes, Kerry will be put of sight by that stage tomorrow if Galway do the same.

I think the Galway v Kerry game has the potential to be closer than many are calling it, many seem to think a Kerry win is inevitable.

I don't know about that. I think people are being fair tipping Kerry to win, but I haven't seen any pundits totally writing Galway off. Bookies have the line at -2 (I think) which seems about right.

I don't know about that. I think people are being fair tipping Kerry to win, but I haven't seen any pundits totally writing Galway off. Bookies have the line at -2 (I think) which seems about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭threeball

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Lads crazy pessimistic with the bench talk. We have speed, experience, physicality in backs and forwards out there. Then you have Maher who is an excellent option for 20 minutes around the middle.

We'd all love it to see Gavin Crowley, Eanna O'Connor, Killian Spillane, Barry O'Sullivan etc making their way into the panel at this stage but based on the games I've been at this year they are just not ready yet IMO.

You can't go out with a bench full of Rookies. You need the likes of Donnacha, Young, Maher and BJK as a bit of experience on the bench, in case things are going pear shaped.

As for the match, Galway are a tough prospect to match up against. They have good scoring forwards and loads of pace. Their defenders are young but seriously tight and physical. They get plenty of numbers back, so we will need to be super sharp from 30+ metres. Midfield will be in for a slog if we push up on kickouts as expected. Gavin White and Paul Murphy will need to be aware of flick ons from midfield, to Brannigan, Kelly and Heaney who have unreal pace.

Hard to know what changes Galway will make, but based on the team that faced Roscommon, I see our Wing Forwards as a potential plus.
    O'Brien vs Seán Kelly and McCarthy v Cathal Sweeney could be where we might be able to break them down.

Obviously Damian Comer is a mismatch vs any defender we have. Peter Crowley is the only player we have who will be able to give him a go man to man, but Comer will be a crazy mismatch on pace there.

I think Foley will mark Ian Burke.
    BO'B on McHugh.
    Morley will sweep mostly, but if going Man to Man he'll go on Johnny Heaney.
    Paul Murphy on Shane Walsh.
    Gavin White on Eamonn Brannigan.

I'd imagine Galway will have Bradshaw on Seán O'Shea and try and bully him. O'Shea will have to wear the XS jersey to keep out of his clutches!
    Kyne should mark James.
    Seán Andy on Geaney.
    Wyne on Clifford.

I could see Galway naming Conroy at 11 and playing Cooke over McHugh. It wouldn't be my call in Croke Park, as pace would be more important over size, but we would struggle to find 2 big men to cover Comer and Conroy. It could be a job for Mark Griffin later in the game if they go down those lines.

Donaghy is a real option off the bench to totally change our style. It would make Galway retreat that bit further to cover breaks off Donaghy and open up space for our shooters a bit further out the field.

Really looking forward to it.

Can't see kyne on donoghue and Kerin on Clifford . Other way round if anything. Kerin kept donoghue in his pocket last year and pairing them up any other way is a physical mismatch. Kyne to go on Clifford and physically bully him a bit.

threeball wrote:
    Can't see kyne on donoghue and Kerin on Clifford . Other way round if anything. Kerin kept donoghue in his pocket last year and pairing them up any other way is a physical mismatch. Kyne to go on Clifford and physically bully him a bit.

Of course Kerin will play ahead of Wynne! He totally slipped my mind. I was just going off the team vs Roscommon and forgot about Kerin. That full back line must be really annoying to play against. Real good man markers, 2 big physical lads and well able to get under your skin.

James is playing a very different role this year. He seems to be enjoying the support role he's playing this year. Dropping deep, tackling and supplying quick ball to Clifford and Geaney. He seems to have lost a lot of his agility with injury but is a lethal supplier of ball still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry Ladies win their first qualifier against Tipp, 3-13 to 2-10, play Donegal in same group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I have Galway as slight favourites for this one. Hope I'm wrong. Galway looked more structured than we did during the league.

Our meeting in Tralee showed Galway had a plan on kickouts and a solid defensive game, dropping players back to fill spaces. In case people forget, Kerry got as far as the Galway 50m line and just passed the ball sideways in that game so we'd better have something lined up to use the full width of the pitch to open up spaces.

Kerry's kickout that day was terrible with very little movement. My other worry for Kerry is if we're going to continue going man-to-man in defence, then we'll get opened up. Galway have worked on these issues during the league, Kerry haven't. All top teams drop at least a player back to protect the scoring zone, hope Kerry have something lined up for this.

Hoping Kerry win and enjoy the day to all travelling.

Juniors on now. Small thing but the Keepers jersey has white stripes on the sleeves and not green. I wonder why? It stands out as being a bit strange.

U20s one point down after 11 mins, Kerry 0-04 Kildare 0-05.

Kildare avoid a blatant black card for a foot trip there.

We need all the help we can get. Kildare by far the better team.

9 points to 6.

One point in it at half time, Kerry 0-08 Kildare 0-09. Kerry have been sloppy and seem to be lacking in ideas. We've been kept in it by some soft enough frees in my opinion and had the chances to go ahead both from frees and from play.

Will be doing very well to progress to an All Ireland final at this rate, let alone win it.

One point in it at half time, Kerry 0-08 Kildare 0-09. Kerry have been sloppy and seem to be lacking in ideas. We've been kept in it by some soft enough frees in my opinion and had the chances to go ahead both from frees and from play.

Which frees were soft? We've had two slaps in the face, a foot trip, a rugby offload. Unless you mean soft as in easily given up, rather than soft as in handy calls feom the ref.

Kildare are throwing their weight around. Successfully at times. Unsuccessfully at other times.

If Kildare tighten up their discipline they should win this by a handfull.

Kerry's attacking play is ponderous. Poor shot selection. Kildare's full back line is excellent. They have O'Sullivan, Sweeney and Shaw shut down well.

Hyland is a joy the watch. Fabulous footballer. Tearing us apart a bit. Masterson is brilliant as well. Unreal score from 50m or so.

Hope to see a similar second half to our Munster Final.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Which frees were soft? We've had two slaps in the face, a foot trip, a rugby offload. Unless you mean soft as in easily given up, rather than soft as in handy calls feom the ref.

Kildare are throwing their weight around. Successfully at times. Unsuccessfully at other times.

If Kildare tighten up their discipline they should win this by a handfull.

Kerry's attacking play is ponderous. Poor shot selection. Kildare's full back line is excellent. They have O'Sullivan, Sweeney and Shaw shut down well.

Hyland is a joy the watch. Fabulous footballer. Tearing us apart a bit. Masterson is brilliant as well. Unreal score from 50m or so.

Hope to see a similar second half to our Munster Final.

I meant soft as in easily given up, bizarre for Kildare to give frees like that when they have their foot on Kerry's throat. We truly look out of ideas, the lateral hand passing was reminiscent of the seniors forward play from time to time.

Advertisement