Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

So many errors. Easy wides and turnovers inside the 45.

After talk of soft frees we just got a real soft one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

What age is Jimmy Hyland? Definite bet for young player of the year next year

The Kickouts may be the difference in the end.

Thats 4 points given up from kickouts for me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Tactics are dreadful, compounded by woeful individual mistakes and decision making.

Sin sin.

Poor pass from Stefan and we are 7 points down with 13 mins to go.

1-13 to 0-9

Funny enough we've probably been the better team in the second half but given up loads of easy scoring chances.

Where Kildare were dominant in the first half but we were only 2 points down.

Probably fair reflection of the game as a whole now

• Advertisement

Some of the panic play from Kerry is so poor. Individual errors have really cost us.

I've never seen a Kerry player miss a 13m free before.

Kildare deserve their win.

Calmer, better prepared team win.

Goal Kerry. 4 points down with 4 mins +Inj left. Still dont see it happening.

Chance!

2 points down into 5 mins of inj time.

1 point with 1 min to go.

• Advertisement

All over, lost by a point. Seemed that the team only felt a sense of urgency with 5-10 minutes left.

Wow, that free when the ball went over the sideline. What was that for!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The accepted narrative of a few years ago that Jack O'Connor would return as senior manager must be shot now.

He has failed to progress the u21 and u20 teams for the last three (I think) years now.

Time to let PK have a crack at the u20s.

In the end I think the lads probably deserved a draw.

But the game is all about the result and not what you deserve. We had chances.

Gutted for the lads. Phenomenal effort without Clifford and O'Shea.

This is a fine Kildare team who dominated Dublin. They dominated us for large periods as well. Hyland is a class footballer but no way should we have left him so open to get 1-8.

Frustrated with some calls that went against us when we had all the momentum which allowed Kildare to run down the clock but thats football.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Some of the panic play from Kerry is so poor. Individual errors have really cost us.

I've never seen a Kerry player miss a 13m free before.

Kildare deserve their win.

Calmer, better prepared team win.

Mikey Sheehy missed one in the final in '82. Missed a penalty as well although penalties were tough that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The accepted narrative of a few years ago that Jack O'Connor would return as senior manager must be shot now.

Ugh the ****ing thoughts of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ugh the ****ing thoughts of it

The worm turned in spring 2017 when the u21s under Jack lost to Galway in a SF and the seniors won the league v Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

The worm turned in spring 2017 when the u21s under Jack lost to Galway in a SF and the seniors won the league v Dublin.

With respect TOD you are a Mayo man and don't have Kerry's best interests at heart. Jack O Connor would probably be able to win Mayo an all ireland not alone Kerry. I think you want him out of the way with all the talent he's bringing through the minor ranks over the last 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mickeyk wrote: »
    Does Shanahan qualify as a young player? He is roughly the same age as Mark Griffen and a few others, I know he is relatively new on the scene but he is 26-27 iirc.

While I do agree we lack game changers on the bench I can’t think of too many youngsters around the county that are hard done by to be left out. I also think that Darren, Killian and Maher have plenty to offer if they can stay healthy. They are all coming back from various injuries and will get sharper as they go.

Did not realize that Shanahan was that old. However Darren was very poor when he came on in the Cork game cannot see him making that vast improvement. Maher was little better and Killian much the same. The real issue is that young players will no longer hang around for ever. They will head off on J1's or travel after college. If it becomes the accepted wisdom amoung young players that they are going nowhere they will exit the setup. It amazing how much some of them improve if they get a smell of it. But if they see younger players passing them by and older lads bench warming and that is what those lads are doing then they will lose interest

Slava Ukrainii

Really wet day in Dublin and looks like it's down for the day.

Won't suit either side, who would prefer to have a dry ball to attack with.

It will certainly make the likes of Gavin White, Stephen O'Brien, Sean Kelly and Eamonn Brannigan less effective on the counter attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Really wet day in Dublin and looks like it's down for the day.

Won't suit either side, who would prefer to have a dry ball to attack with.

It will certainly make the likes of Gavin White, Stephen O'Brien, Sean Kelly and Eamonn Brannigan less effective on the counter attack.

Ran into penneys for a jacket of some kind. Qs of fans all buying them. Yer man said they've restocked twice already today :pac:

Insipid thus far, everyone seems to be extremely off the boil and, dare I say it, disinterested. Major increase in tempo needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Fitzmaurice is not the man to bring this squad of players forward.

He reverts back to type everytime he steps into Croke Park.

Grand hammering Clare and Cork but Galway were our first test and we failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

conor05 wrote: »
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Fitzmaurice is not the man to bring this squad of players forward.

He reverts back to type everytime he steps into Croke Park.

Grand hammering Clare and Cork but Galway were our first test and we failed miserably.

Completely agree. It’s like Groundhog Day when his original game plan doesn’t work out. No ability to think outside the box.
    It was quite obvious within 20mins that runners like O Brien and McCarthy were ineffective with how Galway were set up.
    No plan b for kickouts when they weren’t going to plan.
    Look at Dublin deploying Howard at wing back also acting as a fielding midfielder. That’s thinking outside the box.

Any idea what happened Morley?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Right brain fart. Killian was not a centre back in his hey day not to mind at 31. When you do a double substitution you have a problem a triple means you are brain dead. Nothing on the bench to change tbe game plan. Maher when he came on nearly gave away a goal with a backpass, proceeded then to give away the ball twice with a bad handpass and kickpass. Fitz always reverts to older players whoes day are gone

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well that was depressing. Its one thing to play well and be beaten but that was direct.

1. Both teams set up defensively. Lots of tepid handpasses over and back and isolated runners.

2. Conditions were awful. Balls were skidding around. Players couldnt get footing. It was genuinely dangerous out there.

3. Both teams were terrible. Nervous. Flat. Lots of bad wides. Neither team could get going.

4. Derry ref. Totally inconsistent. Galway got a lot of soft frees around kick outs and Kerry couldnt buy a free for the first 50 minutes.

5. That injury was 15 minutes. 8 minutes added on. The game needs a stop clock for injuries like rugby. Lots of lads killing the clock towards the end.

6. Nothing learned. Poor game. It was crying out for Donahy and high ball in. Running and sick passing was no good in those conditions. Route one havoc was required

7. Galway were there for the beating. Psycholigically they beaten. If they could have kicked half their points we should have been beaten out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

6. Nothing learned. Poor game. It was crying out for Donahy and high ball in. Running and sick passing was no good in those conditions. Route one havoc was required .

I was thinking the same at 20mins gone. Even in the last ten mins I found it strange no Donaghy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Fitzmaurice very slow to react from the first kick of a ball today. Some of the decisions when he did make them were poor. He will surely take the blame for today.

Massive test ahead of us next Sunday. Can see Monaghan licking their lips at the prospect of frustrating the life out of us for 70+ minutes. Not one bit confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

We look more likely to finish bottom of the group than go through based on today's games. Going to Clones next week needing to win isn't ideal. Monaghan will know they qualify with a win and be all out to do it. Have to think Galway beat Kildare so they'll also qualify. Kildare on the back of two losses come to Killarney with all guns blazing and CoN wanting to beat Eamonn, turn Kerry over and we finish bottom with 3 losses....

Today was absolutely dreadful. Serious work needed on kick outs and shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

5. That injury was 15 minutes. 8 minutes added on. The game needs a stop clock for injuries like rugby. Lots of lads killing the clock towards the end.

It was 6 minutes, I just checked the recording.

Advertisement