Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

conor05 wrote: »
    You can see Brian Cody’s fight, spirit and attitude all over every team that plays for him. Your team is a reflection of you as a manager.

And Dublin have bored teams into submission under Gavin have they?

Completely agree that the article only really serves to deflect from EF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Edgware wrote: »
    Kerry cant complain about the ref as they have got a lot of 50 50 decisions over the years.

Name one please. Show me one game that Kerry won or draw due to a free or a refs decision. One. Ever.

By way of counter I can name three that still annoy me.

Darcy push in the back in 82 to deny the 5 in a row.

Dublin given soft free affter soft free in 2011 until the draw then an age for Cluxton to come up and kick it over and the ref to immediately blow it up

Dublin’s Kevin McManamon full frontal charge in 2016 that even the ref apologises for after

http://www.the42.ie/david-gough-dublin-kerry-kevin-mcmanamon-peter-crowley-3296683-Mar2017/

Kerry get a LOT less then most other counties because they are expected to win. I am sick of poor refs trying to keep sides level.

The refereeing standard in the GAA is a joke- Zero consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭kerrysoul

Can anyone explain wht Killian Young was picked to start for Kerry last Sunday and when did he last statr for Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

Name one please. Show me one game that Kerry won or draw due to a free or a refs decision. One. Ever.

Dublin given soft free affter soft free in 2011 until the draw then an age for Cluxton to come up and kick it over and the ref to immediately blow it up

Dublin’s Kevin McManamon full frontal charge in 2016 that even the ref apologises for after

http://www.the42.ie/david-gough-dublin-kerry-kevin-mcmanamon-peter-crowley-3296683-Mar2017/

Kerry get a LOT less then most other counties because they are expected to win. I am sick of poor refs trying to keep sides level.

I would have to agree with this man, Kerry have to be at least 2-3 points better than most teams before a balls thrown in. If I was reffing a Dublin game I would not be giving them the 50/50 decisions, thats just human nature. This is especially relevant to the GAA when it is very much a parochial sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah quit your whinging.

Kennelly should have seen red in the opening seconds of the 2009 final for his premediated foul on Murphy.

Enright should have been black carded in the opening half of the 2014 SF replay.

I'm sure there are other examples over the century plus of Kerry GAA where they got the benefit of a decision, and plenty of examples where they were on the receiving end.

It goes both ways, for every county, get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

SexBobomb wrote: »
    I disagree that Donaghy isn't up to it anymore, he's still got something to offer the game imo. He was never a man to chase down players, he was never known as a hard tackler or the engine of any team, he has always been the big man to target in the square. I don't think weve seen him get a run out really yet, I wouldn't put much stock in the Munster Final minutes he got.
    Now, different story if we were talking about Sullivan, who amazing player he is, has undoubtedly lost some of the pace that was the cornerstone of his game, a strong fast runner hard to tackle without fouling. In response to he wouldn't be able follow his man back the pitch I would never expect a full forward to do so.

I don't believe Donaghy is the making or breaking of this team by the way, just an interesting discussion.

Of course, you always hear this kind of rumour after a defeat, but was told that Donaghy missed training last week, was then spotted at the Irish Open golf, and that was the reason he wasn't brought on.

Of course, you always hear this kind of rumour after a defeat, but was told that Donaghy missed training last week, was then spotted at the Irish Open golf, and that was the reason he wasn't brought on.

Heard that too.

Heard it resulted in a one match ban

In one regard fair play to Fitzmaurice for sticking to the rules.

But on the other hand why was he warming up so much if never to be used.

Trying to cover up the issue me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Flatwhite

Why name him on the panel if a one match ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

That makes no sense, as it takes a spot on the panel from someone else.

Though thats on the higher end of the scale when it comes to rumours from Kerry this week it seems with Morleygate and the latest if Fitzmaurice being sacked on the spot if we lose in Clones.

That whole article stinks of deflecting the blame away from his friend and old teammate Eamonn Fitz.
    Sorry but I am struggling with Tomas, Darragh and Gooch lately as they don’t put any blame onto management and everything is back on the players.

You can see Brian Cody’s fight, spirit and attitude all over every team that plays for him. Your team is a reflection of you as a manager.

EF doesn’t seem to ignite any passion in his players or absolute will to win.
    He stands with his hands in his pockets for the whole game and that’s a fair reflection of his team too.

O Se's articles are ****e anyway

It barley took a paraghaph to add the obligotry Paudi story this week.

I know Terrece Talk is like a broken record these days, all they talk about is "why don't Kerry play the Kerry way and ignore the modern systens" etc but Sylvester Hennessy made some good points this week.
    Firstly he made the point that Kerry have not beaten a Division 1 team in championship since 2015 and secondly they have been playing the way they played v Galway for a while now, lacking ideas, running out of steam late in games, odd sideline decisions, all of these things are nothing new.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    That makes no sense, as it takes a spot on the panel from someone else.

Though thats on the higher end of the scale when it comes to rumours from Kerry this week it seems with Morleygate and the latest if Fitzmaurice being sacked on the spot if we lose in Clones.

One of the many peccadilloes of the Fitzmaurice era.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

That article by Darragh is, as others have stated, mainly an attempt to deflect attention from the failings of his mate.

Can we blame the lack of leaders for the way we set up in the 2015 final, or the idiotic substitutes in the 2016 semi final against Dublin or what about last years 2 semi finals against Mayo?

I dont think the lack of leaders picked Tom Sullivan to make his championship debut as a sweeper in a role that he had never played in nor the team had practiced in.

Fitzmaurice is done and the sooner he goes, the better.
    A win on Sunday will just paper over 4 years of fairly basic mistakes in his only/main managerial challenge of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

I know Terrece Talk is like a broken record these days, all they talk about is "why don't Kerry play the Kerry way and ignore the modern systens" etc but Sylvester Hennessy made some good points this week.
    Firstly he made the point that Kerry have not beaten a Division 1 team in championship since 2015 and secondly they have been playing the way they played v Galway for a while now, lacking ideas, running out of steam late in games, odd sideline decisions, all of these things are nothing new.

Tomas' are too. He thought Sean Armstrong was playing in the first half of the Connacht final.

Kerry got a great rub of the green from the ref in the replay v Mayo in Limerick a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

The last good man to ask the hard questions on Terrace Talk was Patsy Skins O Connell and he tore into management team last year during the league live on air.
    But a wee birdie told me Eamonn Fitz told Terrace Talk to get rid of patsy because of the negativity he had on management team. Slyvester is good though, says what he feels.
    The other panelists are lapdogs and are afraid to
    Offend the management team.
    I’m so sick of EF been protected.
    If you got the highest promotion within Kerry Foods company back in 2014, but didn’t perform as a manager in that company for the last 4 years do you think they would keep you on?
    Out the door my good man.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Kilkenny have won just four of their last eleven championship games so if this is the staggeringly high standard Fitzmaurice has to get up to I think he’ll be okay.

He’ll be ok will he?
    Who mentioned anything about high standards? Will to win and attitude were not evident from Kerry on Sunday, it was evident from Kilkenny even though both teams lost.

Would you take Cody’s or Fitzmaurice record since start of 2014?

2 All Ireland’s for KK

1 All Ireland for Kerry led by the staggeringly high standard setter EF.

PARlance wrote: »
    And Dublin have bored teams into submission under Gavin have they?

Completely agree that the article only really serves to deflect from EF.

So by watching 30 seconds of a media interview by Jim Gavin you think that’s how he motivates and manages him team away from the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

How is Weeshie nowadays? You rarely hear his name mentioned much anymore

wonga77 wrote: »
    How is Weeshie nowadays? You rarely hear his name mentioned much anymore

Has not presented Terrece Talk in at least two years, maybe longer.

Last year they talked to him a few times for a few minutes during the championship and he gave his thoughts on the game etc, but o have not heard him this year.

I did not like Timmy Moynihan when he started first but have come to enjoy his presentation of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So by watching 30 seconds of a media interview by Jim Gavin you think that’s how he motivates and manages him team away from the camera?

You were picking up on the fact that Fitzmaurice has his hands in his pockets as if this is some sort of issue, comparing him to Coady who is up and down the sideline, drawing a line that this transfers to his players. Gavin is like a statue on the sideline, I'm saying that a teams attitude has very little to do with how the manager acts on the sideline.

I don't rate Fitzmaurice at all, hands in the pockets wouldn't be a deciding factor when coming to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

PARlance wrote: »
    You were picking up on the fact that Fitzmaurice has his hands in his pockets as if this is some sort of issue, comparing him to Coady who is up and down the sideline, drawing a line that this transfers to his players. Gavin is like a statue on the sideline, I'm saying that a teams attitude has very little to do with how the manager acts on the sideline.

I don't rate Fitzmaurice at all, hands in the pockets wouldn't be a deciding factor when coming to that conclusion.

Managers differ on there sideline actions. I think hurling coaches are more vocal on the side line look at Coady, Davy Fitz and McGrath even the lads that are not as excitable such a Ryan, Kiely etc are still busy on the side line. In genearl Football manager are not as exciteable on the line. Fitz and Galvin are at the extreme end of being stoic.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

He’ll be ok will he?
    Who mentioned anything about high standards?

I have no idea if he’ll be okay. All I said was if he is being judged by the standards of a manager who has overseen only four wins in 11 games he’ll be okay. I think Kerry will easily achieve such outcomes.

And fair enough you may not have mentioned high standards but I assumed it was implied. If you are happy for glorious defeat so be it. But that is the only standard Brian Cody is to be judged by at this stage. That’s the point I was making.

I have no idea if he’ll be okay. All I said was if he is being judged by the standards of a manager who has overseen only four wins in 11 games he’ll be okay. I think Kerry will easily achieve such outcomes.

And fair enough you may not have mentioned high standards but I assumed it was implied. If you are happy for glorious defeat so be it. But that is the only standard Brian Cody is to be judged by at this stage. That’s the point I was making.

The broader point, though, is that where in 2013 Fitzmaurice was the only person to put his name forward and there were no real alternatives, this year one could make strong cases for Peter Keane, given his work with the minors in recent seasons, or similarly Jimmy Keane with the juniors. Of course, there are legitimate questions over whether the panel has the strength in depth to be All-Ireland contenders, but fans will at least appreciate direct, attacking football as a sign of genuine progress, rather than reverting to negative type as happened last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

A big issue for me this weekend is our lack of shooters from long range. We have many threats close into goal, Clifford, Geaney, James, O'Brien, but no guy who is confident stepping up from 40 yards and banging one over.

Without such a threat, Monaghan are just going to sit deep and block off all attacks.

We don't even seem to carry such a threat on the bench. Pretty worrying.

O'Shea may be the guy and Moran is hit and miss. We need guys to step up on Sunday and shoot accurately. Every wasted chance will be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

DDC1990 wrote: »
    A big issue for me this weekend is our lack of shooters from long range. We have many threats close into goal, Clifford, Geaney, James, O'Brien, but no guy who is confident stepping up from 40 yards and banging one over.

Without such a threat, Monaghan are just going to sit deep and block off all attacks.

We don't even seem to carry such a threat on the bench. Pretty worrying.

O'Shea may be the guy and Moran is hit and miss. We need guys to step up on Sunday and shoot accurately. Every wasted chance will be vital.

Moran is an absolute waste on anything that involves kicking the ball more than 20 yards. He should be told to just not kick it, he's been woeful last season and it's carried on into this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Best of luck to the Juniors in the All Ireland Final this weekend against Galway.

1 (GK) Darragh O'Shea Ballydonoghue

2 Trevor Wallace Ardfert
    3 Dan O'Donoghue Spa, Killarney
    4 Paul O'Sullivan Valentia

5 Pádraig O'Connor Gneeveguilla
    6 Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
    7 Seán Moloney John Mitchels

8 Kieran Murphy Kilcummin Captain
    9 Ronan Murphy Beaufort

10 Evan Cronin Spa, Killarney
    11 Paudie Clifford Fossa
    12 Denis Daly St Mary's Caherciveen

13 Thomas Hickey Castleisland Desmonds
    14 Lee O'Donoghue Glenflesk
    15 Niall Ó Sé Piarsaigh na Dromoda

Subs:
    16 (GK) Eoin O'Brien Churchill
    17 Darren Brosnan Gneeveguilla
    18 Seán T Dillon St Senan's
    19 Conor O'Shea St Mary's Caherciveen
    20 Ronan Buckley Listry
    21 Brian Crowley Templenoe
    22 Chris Farley Piarsaigh na Dromoda
    23 Cillian Fitzgerald Churchill
    24 Gary O'Leary Kilcummin

And fair enough you may not have mentioned high standards but I assumed it was implied. If you are happy for glorious defeat so be it. But that is the only standard Brian Cody is to be judged by at this stage. That’s the point I was making.[/quot

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

dobman88 wrote: »
    Moran is an absolute waste on anything that involves kicking the ball more than 20 yards. He should be told to just not kick it, he's been woeful last season and it's carried on into this season.

Frustratingly inconsistent, the kind of fella that can kick a pinpoint pass from 50 yards one minute and misplace a 5-yard kickpass a minute later.

Re the junior team, Dan Daly must be injured? I think he was ff for most games, its a very strong looking panel they have

Team just named:

1. Shane Murphy (C)
    2. Ronan Shanahan
    3. Mark Griffin
    4. Tom O'Sullivan
    5. Paul Murphy
    6. Peter Crowley
    7. Gavin White
    8. David Moran
    9. Jack Barry
    10. Kevin McCarthy
    11. Seán O'Shea
    12. Stephen O'Brien
    13. David Clifford
    14. Paul Geaney
    15. James O'Donoghue

Subs:

16. Brian Kelly
    17. Kieran Donaghy
    18. Brian O'Beaglaíoch
    19. Micheál Burns
    20. Barry John Keane
    21. Anthony Maher
    22. Darran O'Sullivan
    23. Donncha Walsh
    24. Tadhg Morley
    25. Fiona Fitzgerald
    26. Gavin Crowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Team just named:

1. Shane Murphy (C)
    2. Ronan Shanahan
    3. Mark Griffin
    4. Tom O'Sullivan
    5. Paul Murphy
    6. Peter Crowley
    7. Gavin White
    8. David Moran
    9. Jack Barry
    10. Kevin McCarthy
    11. Seán O'Shea
    12. Stephen O'Brien
    13. David Clifford
    14. Paul Geaney
    15. James O'Donoghue

Shanahan on McManus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Thought Jason Foley did well against Galway and not even in the panel this week. Has to be injured for that to happen surely?

Advertisement