Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah came off injured.

Full back line is terribly weak.

9/4 Monaghan is based purely on our reputation. I never bet against Kerry but this weekend might be too good to pass up.

Strongly rumoured that another change will be made to the matchday lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Surprised to see Murphy kept in goal. How long will they persevere with him? Kelly plenty experience at this stage and surely can't be any worse than Murphy. Was woeful last Sunday and panicked at every opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

dobman88 wrote: »
    Surprised to see Murphy kept in goal. How long will they persevere with him? Kelly plenty experience at this stage and surely can't be any worse than Murphy. Was woeful last Sunday and panicked at every opportunity

I wouldn't agree with that completely. Murphy can only do so much, the movement out the field at times was shocking - players walking away from the ball, backs turned. He can only do so much, if nobody makes a run or gives him an option he just has to hoof it into the middle. The problem there was that we couldn't catch any breaking ball. Yes, he did send some out over the sideline but I wouldn't go switching now - the keeper rotation hasn't done anything for us over the years.

Let's not forget that Kelly has had equally bad days, due to much of the same reasons for Murphy's performance.

I wouldn't agree with that completely. Murphy can only do so much, the movement out the field at times was shocking - players walking away from the ball, backs turned. He can only do so much, if nobody makes a run or gives him an option he just has to hoof it into the middle. The problem there was that we couldn't catch any breaking ball. Yes, he did send some out over the sideline but I wouldn't go switching now - the keeper rotation hasn't done anything for us over the years.

Let's not forget that Kelly has had equally bad days, due to much of the same reasons for Murphy's performance.

Yeah I understand that completely. The lads were shocking in first half last week and gave him no movement at all. Second half was a different story, they did that thing where they bunch the middle and spread in different directions and some lads went short, others went long. Every time he stuttered up to the ball and stopped, everyone was then marked by a Galway man. Not good enough, not quick enough. The short kick out to Maher where we almost conceded a goal after he attempted a crazy back pass sticks out for me. The kick out was so bad it put Maher under massive pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Thought Jason Foley did well against Galway and not even in the panel this week. Has to be injured for that to happen surely?

Yea injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

What’s going on with Tadgh Morley?
    Many would be of the opinion he’s our best defender....

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

A few things. Shane Murphy is A mega talented goalkeeper. He control of the football is extremely impressive. However, and it's a big However, he looked extremely cocky-almost arrogant- early on against Galway.

A couple of things worth noting. I don't have exact stats so forgive me if there are.small inaccuracies.
    1. Barry Cassidy f*cked him over. Properly. 5 times He was forced to take his kick a second time because that fussy fool wasn't happy.
    2. Of the first 6 long kicks Cassidy blew for fouls by Kerrymen. Personally I saw one foul.by Jack Barry 2.fouls by Tom.flynn (I think it was him) and 3 fine contested schemozzles.
    3. The next kick out Murohy wanted to go short, Paul Murphy made a dart -looked pre planned- but got dragged back by the arm.and dumped on the floor as murohy was kicking the ball.and it ended up going over the sideline. So to be fair to him he had it seriously rough and ended up playing balls long into space. As someone else pointed out playing croker for the 1st.time when the ball skids like crazy isn't helpful.
    4. He actually made a smashing save from Sweeneys initial effort.
    5. If Sunday is a decent weather day having someone to pop the ball over the bar from anything up to 60m is huge. There is a secondary effect there too as having the keeper on frees allows the supposed 6 forwards go man to.man on the restarts and contest the resulting kick out.

If however Brian Kelly did start I'd actually be cool with it. He's a great goalkeeper. An acceptably good shot stopper, super under the high ball and a decent distributor in live play. Unfortunately his career will forever be blighted by that kick out strategy that went haywire. If he starts the strategy should be simple. Hard and long.

Overall though, to drop Murphy now would be a despicable act.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Kingdom wrote: »
    A few things. Shane Murphy is A mega talented goalkeeper. He control of the football is extremely impressive. However, and it's a big However, he looked extremely cocky-almost arrogant- early on against Galway.

A couple of things worth noting. I don't have exact stats so forgive me if there are.small inaccuracies.
    1. Barry Cassidy f*cked him over. Properly. 5 times He was forced to take his kick a second time because that fussy fool wasn't happy.
    2. Of the first 6 long kicks Cassidy blew for fouls by Kerrymen. Personally I saw one foul.by Jack Barry 2.fouls by Tom.flynn (I think it was him) and 3 fine contested schemozzles.
    3. The next kick out Murohy wanted to go short, Paul Murphy made a dart -looked pre planned- but got dragged back by the arm.and dumped on the floor as murohy was kicking the ball.and it ended up going over the sideline. So to be fair to him he had it seriously rough and ended up playing balls long into space. As someone else pointed out playing croker for the 1st.time when the ball skids like crazy isn't helpful.
    4. He actually made a smashing save from Sweeneys initial effort.
    5. If Sunday is a decent weather day having someone to pop the ball over the bar from anything up to 60m is huge. There is a secondary effect there too as having the keeper on frees allows the supposed 6 forwards go man to.man on the restarts and contest the resulting kick out.

If however Brian Kelly did start I'd actually be cool with it. He's a great goalkeeper. An acceptably good shot stopper, super under the high ball and a decent distributor in live play. Unfortunately his career will forever be blighted by that kick out strategy that went haywire. If he starts the strategy should be simple. Hard and long.

Overall though, to drop Murphy now would be a despicable act.

Completely agree, thanks for those points - couldn't get to the match so can only see certain parts on TV and isn't helped by one-dimensional commentary of "Oh, this kickout strategy isn't working for Kerry".

I have no problem with Kelly either, to be quite honest I think he's very competent and would be happy to have him on too if that were to happen. I think being too reactionary, as you say, would feed nervousness and uncertainty into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry win a thriller in Ennis!

2-13 to 2-11.

4 in a row Congrats lads!

Rumors of Kelly and Donaghy in for Murphy and O Donoghue.

Anyone hear anything?

• Advertisement

Seems it's been confirmed. Kelly and Donaghy in.

Surprised Donaghy is starting. Not surprised Murphy is dropped. Too much at stake to keep giving him chances when he's failed to deliver so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Rumors of Kelly and Donaghy in for Murphy and O Donoghue.

Anyone hear anything?

That’s all the talk here in Clones.

Unconfirmed rumors of Donnacha Walsh in for Jack Barry too!!

conor05 wrote: »
    That’s all the talk here in Clones.

Unconfirmed rumors of Donnacha Walsh in for Jack Barry too!!

Jack Barry starts. Kelly and Donaghy in. Just confirmed on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Kelly has only one football by his goal and is wasting time looking for a ball to take kickouts. The bunching in the middle and running intp space not working either, if monaghan hold players in their positions there will be no space to run in to. Poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Paul Geaney playing ****e 2wks in a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Have Kerry got rid of thier old guard too early?
    Seems like there is no balance in the side.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Nope. Best players on the pitch for Kerry are the young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,559 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Old guard are there too long lads taking psoitions on the bench and younger lads not on the bench, First Mark O Se and Tom O sullivan then Bryan Sheahan and look at present bench

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Has a county ever changed manager mid season? We should seriously be considering it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ye were blessed.

• Advertisement

Fcking Moran again with the hail Mary at the end. Will he ever learn. Clown.

Clifford, big heart. Some finish

Jayus that was a great game for the neutral.
    Donaghy not getting enough praise by RTE for making that goal.

Jayus that was a great game for the neutral.
    Donaghy not getting enough praise by RTE for making that goal.

Best thing about it was Canning saying it was the best day in Monaghans history with 5 minutes left. Makes that comeback sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone at the game see where all the extra balls came from at kickout time? Were they from ballboys?

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Anyone at the game see where all the extra balls came from at kickout time? Were they from ballboys?

The crowd. Home team ahead, crowd helping to slow the game down. Can't fault them tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Calculators at the ready in a fortnight in Killarney - Monaghan +2 PD, Kerry -3.

Best thing about it was Canning saying it was the best day in Monaghans history with 5 minutes left. Makes that comeback sweeter.

Yeah he always commentates in the moment....
    X team ahead they are fantastic etc
    Y team Scores they are a superb etc

He has no real analysis just all talk of intensity and passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,559 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With 3-4 minutes to go next week in Salthill if the game is all square I can see a lot of handpassing to finish off the game. We need Galway to beat Monoghan and we need to crak up a large score against Kildare.

As Jimmey McGee said about Maradonna you can say the same about Clifford and he is only nineteen ''different class, different class''. Ninteen years old and he be in the first three forwards in any county in Ireland if not the first name on the team sheet. He could paly professional soccer as a finisher.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

David Clifford is dragging us along already at 19- where are the balls on the rest of the team.

Where is Geaney, where is Moran- these boys need to be counted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's another stay of execution for Fitzmaurice.

They should beat Kildare at home, but what will Monaghan do in Galway, Galway have already topped the group.

Best outcome will be a SF v Dublin

Advertisement