Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭spurshero

It's another stay of execution for Fitzmaurice.

They should beat Kildare at home, but what will Monaghan do in Galway, Galway have already topped the group.

Best outcome will be a SF v Dublin

If Monaghan beat Galway they top the group

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

It’s a sad state of affairs for Kerry when a guy just out of minor has single handedly dragged them through the super 8s.

There is very little heart in this Kerry team.

David Clifford has the heart of a lion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

spurshero wrote: »
    If Monaghan beat Galway they top the group

Ah, good point, missed that.

All to play for in both games then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ah, good point, missed that.

All to play for in both games then.

Yes and no 5 minutes to go and Kerry are well ahead in Killarney and Monoghan V Galway is a draw I cannot see Monoghan putting a semi-final place at risk. If monoghan win we are out. We need Galway to beat Monoghan. We are lucky that Kildare scored that late goal against Monoghan as we need to win by 5 points even with it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

What was Fitzmaurice doing taking off O' Sé, our main free taker?? Did Darren even touch the ball when he came on for him?

And bringing on Geaney again, after taking him off? Penny for Barry John's thoughts then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

I for one hope Monaghan beat Galway or Kildare beat us in Killarney.
    We would be absolutely masaccared by Dublin in an All Ireland semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Hardly any ball into donaghy.
    Geaney has forgotten how to shoot.
    Deegan was rubbish.
    Pity jod didn't throw the right leg at it near the end, I'd have preferred that to a stupid potshot from 50 yards from Moran.
    're fitzmaurice, where to start. I think he has hung Murphy by dropping him, couldn't possibly blame him for last weekend.
    Donaghy probably shouldn't have started either imo, he gives a huge boost when he's brought on with 20 to go.
    Griffin tried tested and failed at fb. Ya let's stick him in again against one of the top forwards in the country.
    Takes off our top scorer. Brings on Darren who is so far past it that it's not funny, did he even get on the ball?
    Takes on geaney and brings him back on again, then sh1tes on in the interview about it being a panel game. The rest of the subs must be fuming and rightly so.
    Didn't fionn fitz play county league last weekend? Where was he sprung from?
    Fair play to the young guns, took the game forward at every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

wonga77 wrote: »
    Hardly any ball into donaghy.
    Geaney has forgotten how to shoot.
    Deegan was rubbish.
    Pity jod didn't throw the right leg at it near the end, I'd have preferred that to a stupid potshot from 50 yards from Moran.
    're fitzmaurice, where to start. I think he has hung Murphy by dropping him, couldn't possibly blame him for last weekend.
    Donaghy probably shouldn't have started either imo, he gives a huge boost when he's brought on with 20 to go.
    Griffin tried tested and failed at fb. Ya let's stick him in again against one of the top forwards in the country.
    Takes off our top scorer. Brings on Darren who is so far past it that it's not funny, did he even get on the ball?
    Takes on geaney and brings him back on again, then sh1tes on in the interview about it being a panel game. The rest of the subs must be fuming and rightly so.
    Didn't fionn fitz play county league last weekend? Where was he sprung from?
    Fair play to the young guns, took the game forward at every chance.

You couldn’t have said it better.
    Fitzmaurice and his selectors are baffling.
    Murphy shouldn’t have been dropped.
    Griffin should have been switched after 5 mins.
    We should have pushed up on the kick out after 10mins, not an entire half.
    Geaney,Moran and Barry shouldn’t have seen the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Tom Sullivan’s second point, what a score. Clifford looked great again. It’d a pity we can’t defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yes and no 5 minutes to go and Kerry are well ahead in Killarney and Monoghan V Galway is a draw I cannot see Monoghan putting a semi-final place at risk. If monoghan win we are out. We need Galway to beat Monoghan. We are lucky that Kildare scored that late goal against Monoghan as we need to win by 5 points even with it.

Not necessarily by 5 - if we win by 3, and Galway win by 3, that would also do, just need a six-point swing between the two games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What a come back Maher coming on getting a mark and a score. I'd written him off. Great goal, great fight back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Stoner wrote: »
    What a come back Maher coming on getting a mark and a score. I'd written him off. Great goal, great fight back.

Did very well today, won some good ball last week too after an initial mess up. Should be in for Moran who just can't keep a cool head and always looking for the Hollywood pass/score. Time on the clock today to work the ball back to O Donoghue or Clifford and he just kicks it to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Officer999 wrote: »
    What was Fitzmaurice doing taking off O' Sé, our main free taker?? Did Darren even touch the ball when he came on for him?

And bringing on Geaney again, after taking him off? Penny for Barry John's thoughts then

Stuff like this is why I despair of Kerry ever seeing Sam under this guy. He's five years in , he still doesn't know his best team, or his best Plan A, or Plan B.

Gavin meanwhile has built a smoothly running machine.

Watching the two teams in the league was like watching a SWAT team go up against a bunch of teenage paintballers. Every Dublin player knew his job inside out. The Kerry team seem to be playing on the fly sent out with a "do your best and see what happens" type of attitude. They don't seem to know when to go forward, when to support, when to fall back or how to organise their defense. Its sucking the belief and desire out of them far as I can see.

There are teams with far less talent doing far more with them. Gavin is getting every last drop out of the footballers at his disposal. Fitzmaurice is just confusing his.

Please let this be his last year

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

dobman88 wrote: »
    The crowd. Home team ahead, crowd helping to slow the game down. Can't fault them tbf

There was no nets behind the goals. Some of the shots bounced off the seating behind or the advertising boards. Some were thrown back by Monaghan fans in the crowd. It must happen regularly and there should be ball boys. I was at the game.

There was no nets behind the goals. Some of the shots bounced off the seating behind or the advertising boards. Some were thrown back by Monaghan fans in the crowd. It must happen regularly and there should be ball boys. I was at the game.

Yeah I always found it odd there are no nets behind the goals there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lemongrease

Could Paul Galavin be tempted out of retirement?

He’d never be able to run in those jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The goal from Clifford was absolutely unreal.

His "bad" leg as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

DDC1990 wrote: »

His "bad" leg as well.

And 5 Monaghan men around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just home from the game.

Monaghan should have put us away.

Sean was lethal from place balls.

Monaghans keeper was class today. Easily motm for me.

Kerry played attacking football. Was good to watch.

Griffin totally caught out for the goal.

Donaghy was being fouled all day long.

Delighted we are still alive in the championship. We dont deserve to be

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »

His "bad" leg as well.

Made even better by the fact he caught it and placed it. On first watch it looked like he just pulled on it. Real quality.

Made even better by the fact he caught it and placed it. On first watch it looked like he just pulled on it. Real quality.

Absolutely brilliant finish. We had a chance to work something afterwards and Moran decided to sky one into the air. Not the only time he wasted possession in the past couple of weeks

No doubt Fitmaurice would sub him on at some stage if he was around.

munster87 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant finish. We had a chance to work something afterwards and Moran decided to sky one into the air. Not the only time he wasted possession in the past couple of weeks

My opinion on Moran is clear. I've posted enough about him on this thread so will just leave it at that.

My opinion on Moran is clear. I've posted enough about him on this thread so will just leave it at that.

It’s the current alternatives that’s the problem. Would be nice to see a more mobile midfield.

The radio Kerry commentary from the final moments. I'd say Timmy had a whiskey or two after that lol

Don't know how to post YouTube links

munster87 wrote: »
    It’s the current alternatives that’s the problem. Would be nice to see a more mobile midfield.

Think Maher is worth a shot now for the last game at least. He'd be a calm presence, good in the air and have Jack Barry to do the running.

The radio Kerry commentary from the final moments. I'd say Timmy had a whiskey or two after that lol

Don't know how to post YouTube links

Timmy is "brill-ant”.

And Abrose losing his mind at the same time.

But I'd have to disagree with Timmy's comment that the goal was "no more than Kerry disevred", they were lucky that Monaghan didn't finish them.off.

Think Maher is worth a shot now for the last game at least. He'd be a calm presence, good in the air and have Jack Barry to do the running.

Honestly Maher was far from a calm presence when he came on in the Galway game. I think the way forward might be two players who can carry the ball at midfield. You see McAuley/McCarthy doing it for Dublin beside Fenton, who is deceptively pacey himself.

• Advertisement

Timmy is "brill-ant”.

And Abrose losing his mind at the same time.

But I'd have to disagree with Timmy's comment that the goal was "no more than Kerry disevred", they were lucky that Monaghan didn't finish them.off.

Yeah I did have a chuckle at that alright. Put it down to him caught up in the moment cos they should have been 7 or 8 ahead at half time

Advertisement