Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

C__MC wrote: »
    Are these letters real or a fictional myth in the GAA world?

I love to see an image of one.

I think the letters and abuse issue might be a small bit exaggerated. I have no doubt there were a few idiots that had a go at him over the years but it’s been pretty mild in the media imo. Even on Terrace Talk there hasn’t been a whole lot bar the odd gripe that you’ll get in any successful county when the team is struggling. Reading the various forums there is criticism of the team selections etc. but nothing personal and almost no criticism of the players as far as I can see.

Shame on anybody that wrote one of those letters or hurled abuse at the management or players, but at the same time I simply don’t believe that Eamon was unable to walk down the street without getting ridiculed.

I don’t have a twitter account and rarely use social media at all so perhaps that where the main issue was, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

mickeyk wrote: »
    He just left to manage his native county which is an understandable ambition. He has them flying alright and they just won the U20’s, I think they could be a real factor next year if they can hang on to Cian.

the word in kildare is that cian o' n is on the move to a rugby provence

jack o connor to be offered the kildare job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

50HX wrote: »

Yes that’s doing the rounds down here with a while too, that’s what I meant by hang on to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

PARlance wrote: »
    For all the talk, I think it comes down to 2 main things:
    He didn't have his team well enough prepared 1. Physically or 2. Tactically(defensively). And there really shouldn't be any excuse for either.

The buck stops with the manager alright but i've found it interesting how the players have seemingly escaped blame in this.

You can be a tactical mastermind and if players don't buy into it 100% it can easily look like you're not doing your job as a manager. If a man runs through the centre of the defence is it the managers fault or is the players not working as hard as they should to close down the space? Its hard to tell sometimes but there's no way anyone can say that the players are removing the doubt by killing themselves in games. They're not and they haven't for a while now. Not only has this been largely overlooked but its lead to a further criticism of Fitzmaurice in that he hasn't had the players conditioned correctly. Maybe he is doing whats required. Maybe they're the ones just not willing to take personal responsibility and put in the effort required in training and on the pitch. Given what i've seen of them i think thats far more likely tbh. Hard to believe but i think a good number of the older players are comfortable losing and maybe they set the tone for the rest.

Its not as sharp a criticism as it seems though. Sometimes things get stale in a set up and human nature is what it is. Players aren't robots and maybe hearing the same voice over and over again grinds them down. Few managers are able to keep players on their toes long term. Its not easy, especially when you're not winning.

Earlier in his tenure Fitzmaurice was responsible for some decent innovations and his teams didn't have such obvious deficiencies. When his team really played for him in 2014 they were a serious team attack and defence. They've just lost the bite since then and its made him look bad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

corny wrote: »
    The buck stops with the manager alright but i've found it interesting how the players have seemingly escaped blame in this.

You can be a tactical mastermind and if players don't buy into it 100% it can easily look like you're not doing your job as a manager. If a man runs through the centre of the defence is it the managers fault or is the players not working as hard as they should to close down the space? Its hard to tell sometimes but there's no way anyone can say that the players are removing the doubt by killing themselves in games. They're not and they haven't for a while now. Not only has this been largely overlooked but its lead to a further criticism of Fitzmaurice in that he hasn't had the players conditioned correctly. Maybe he is doing whats required. Maybe they're the ones just not willing to take personal responsibility and put in the effort required in training and on the pitch. Given what i've seen of them i think thats far more likely tbh. Hard to believe but i think a good number of the older players are comfortable losing and maybe they set the tone for the rest.

Its not as sharp a criticism as it seems though. Sometimes things get stale in a set up and human nature is what it is. Players aren't robots and maybe hearing the same voice over and over again grinds them down. Few managers are able to keep players on their toes long term. Its not easy, especially when you're not winning.

Earlier in his tenure Fitzmaurice was responsible for some decent innovations and his teams didn't have such obvious deficiencies. When his team really played for him in 2014 they were a serious team attack and defence. They've just lost the bite since then and its made him look bad imo.

Fitzmaurice worked wonders in 2014. Geaney and o donoghe were lethal. Drastic drop since. Remember the flawless kick passing of David Moran - the defensive unit was built around Murphy and Crowley.

Last not forget one thing- Donaghy was only a bit part player for Fitzmaurice- from 2016 on he was the good to guy. Others players lost form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

C__MC wrote: »
    Are these letters real or a fictional myth in the GAA world?

I love to see an image of one.

Joe McMahon posted an image of one on Twitter a few days ago, one he got from a Kerry "fan".
    I've no doubt they exist and doubt they are exaggerated. I know for a fact of 2 previous managers that got them, and a fair few at that. It's embarrassing really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jimmy Hyland? Looks to be some prospect.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we’d have had a much better chance with Clifford and O’Shea but bringing them up was the right thing to do IMO.

Yes Hyland, he looks a right player. Sorry Flynn was the man flying on the senior team.

Yes I agree bringing them up to senior was the best decision, wouldn't be a stretch to say they were Kerrys two best players over the course of the Championship either imo and both stood up to the physical pressure well.

50HX wrote: »

Haven't heard about CoN to a rugby team but I've family in Kildare and I have heard the rumor about Jack taking the Kildare job. His son Eanna plays for Moorefield so I'd assume he'd have seen a fair bit of Kildare football at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

That story about Jack to Kildare has been doing the rounds for a good while now. His 2 sons play for Moorefield and he was involved in some way with them this year I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

IS there a All-Ireland Minor B Hurling Championship this year do anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭shockframe

As a neutral I would be inclined to say EF did a fair enough job with what he had.

The first half of his reign was very good and the 2014 All Ireland win beating Horan and Mcguinness was very impressive. He walked into the job without many of the 00s Golden era team who had just left. Not to mention 3 sides in Donegal, Mayo and Dublin all at a very high level. Even Kerry in the 70s/80s didn't have had that to contend with.

I'd say that there was way too much made of him being a tactical genius in the aftermath of that 2014 final though. The 2015 Munster final where Kerry scraped a draw at home to Cork was the start of it going downhill I would say. More so than the All Ireland defeat as he won and lost one during his reign. No worse than any another Kerry manager.

If he had left after the 2016 respectable Dublin loss then his era would have been much more favourably looked upon. 4 years is more or less the maximum time for a manager at Senior now. That Dublin game was the perfect time to call it quits.Going on to 2 more years has been a disaster for him. He probably wasn't aware in 2012 to how many riches the county would produce at Minor and was looking towards them to turn it around for him. If it hadnt been for Clifford they could have been gone at Clones.

He had a lot of luck thorughout his time. Not meeting Dublin in 2014 cannot be ignored and also Cork are in the worst state they have ever been in since his arrival so 6 Munsters is not as impressive as it might seem either.

If he had left in 2016 he could have returned a la Jack but the 'letters' must surely make that impossible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why did Cian O Neill leave? Have heard he wanted more of a say in picking the team and it was a non runner for EF and the selectors? Any truth to it?

Would agree Kerry haven't looked anywhere near as fit as they did with him around. Just look at the difference in Kildare the last couple of years, they're finishing games very strongly and no player looks out on their feet, they just don't have the footballers to do damage at the moment. Contrast that with Kerry who have an abundance of talent just not the fitness.

He just left to manage his native county which is an understandable ambition. He has them flying alright and they just won the U20’s, I think they could be a real factor next year if they can hang on to Cian.
    If they lost to Mayo he would have been gone. Kildare to me play a far to laboured handpassing game where their inside line can make all the runs they like but there is a fair chance the ball won't come in in time. Hyland looks a great prospect but not much use to showcase his talent if footpassing isn't an option.

Could Kerry go with Liam Kerins? Get Donnie Buckley in with maybe Maurice, Declan O'Sullivan and keane. Keane could with any of the three make the step up after a few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

After the abuse Fitzmaurice got from the Kerry Fans I don't know who would want to take the job in Kerry.

Amprodude wrote: »
    After the abuse Fitzmaurice got from the Kerry Fans I don't know who would want to take the job in Kerry.

And after seeing how sh i te Cork footballers are with no hope of winning anything I don't know who would want the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm really struggling to find this so called abuse.

Fitz and other got hate mail, how much we don't know, but the majority of people I know have have really respected him as a person, the line would usually be something like
    "Fitz is sound and all but...."

I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him as a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fitz and other got hate mail, how much we don't know, but the majority of people I know have have really respected him as a person, the line would usually be something like

How would you find this abuse. You won't have people publicising that they're send hate mail.

All it takes is a few lunatics to send a few letters. You can imagine that the letters don't just contain a criticism of team tactics. You would be fairly angry if any comments/threats were made about family or friends. They're not going to be made public.

Horan went to the Gardaí over ones he got. It's all well and good saying the majority of people are sound but if some pr1ck pens an anonymous letter attacking loved ones, you would rightly be sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PARlance wrote: »
    How would you find this abuse. You won't have people publicising that they're send hate mail.

All it takes is a few lunatics to send a few letters. You can imagine that the letters don't just contain a criticism of team tactics. You would be fairly angry if any comments/threats were made about family or friends. They're not going to be made public.

Horan went to the Gardaver ones he got. It's all well and good saying the majority of people are sound but if some pr1ck pens an anonymous letter attacking loved ones, you would rightly be sickened.

I'm not saying it does not happen and it only taken one of course.

I'm replying to a poster who implies that no one would take the Kerry job "After the abuse Fitzmaurice got from the Kerry Fans".

As if this abuse was commonplace and widespread.

It's not.

Diarmuid Murphy into 10/11 to be new manager. I know he's been involved in some capacity since retiring but would be a strange appointment surely given his lack of experience?

The Off the Ball interview was puzzling to say the least.

He mentioned how it was always going to be his last year but he agreed last year to a 3 year extension.

My guess is that he wanted to stay on but circumstances forced his hand. He knew that going out on home soil for the first time since 95 left him open and so he stepped down on Saturday straight after the game so as not to face a hostile public over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

50HX wrote:

Had heard months ago that he was going to head up some dept in Munster rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ this Hate Mail saga is turning into the new #MeToo movement! !!

Brian Sheehan getting his sob story out now !!!

If it is true the Kerry public owe Paudi an apology!

Christ this Hate Mail saga is turning into the new #MeToo movement! !!

Brian Sheehan getting his sob story out now !!!

If it is true the Kerry public owe Paudi an apology!

Me Too was on the front page of the examiner today running with the John Kiely story!

shockframe wrote: »
    Me Too was on the front page of the examiner today running with the John Kiely story!

Ha, genuinely didn't see that! Great minds and all that!

I am sorry but it is a bit of a parody at this stage!

And after seeing how sh i te Cork footballers are with no hope of winning anything I don't know who would want the job.

why are you diverting the point to cork football? are you discussing my point or are you attacking me personally? Fitzmaurice said it not me and you are trying to defend how horrible Kerry supporters were to him with hate mail. The guy has a young family for heavens sake. Shame on you.

Diarmuid Murphy into 10/11 to be new manager. I know he's been involved in some capacity since retiring but would be a strange appointment surely given his lack of experience?

I suppose you won't be happy with him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Danny Healy-Rae has moved out to 500/1 with paddy power

Is Stephen Stack not being considered?

why are you diverting the point to cork football? are you discussing my point or are you attacking me personally? Fitzmaurice said it not me and you are trying to defend how horrible Kerry supporters were to him with hate mail. The guy has a young family for heavens sake. Shame on you.

You're from Cork so should be more worried about the muck in your own county.

And yes, I'm definitely defending hate mail sent to a man who has given a lot of his life to Kerry, that's exactly what I'm doing.

You're a long time troll, just a pi$$poor one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

There's no shortage of home-grown candidates with full managerial experience, so would be odd, to say the least, to opt for a selector.

• Advertisement

He's very inexperienced but if he's deemed to be the best man for the job I'll support him, like most Kerry fans do with every manager.

Advertisement