Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Absolutely outstanding, gutsy win. Hats off to them, they earned that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is that 5 minors on the bounce since Brolly said the production line was finished in 2013 :pac:

Serious second half. Midfield much better and we got the breaks off the ref too. Delighted for them young lads. Some fantastic saves from the keeper too. Great second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Unbelievable performance in that second half fair play to all involved! Just superb

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Brilliant effort from the lads.

O'Shea was tremendous as was Falvey.

Walsh kicked some beautiful points.

5 in a row. Fills me with pride. Some achievement. Hope it transfers in some way to the senior team.

Feel for Galway. Brilliant young team who just seemed to run out of steam in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Was that the sub keeper who accepted the cup with the captain? Was there a significance to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was that the sub keeper who accepted the cup with the captain? Was there a significance to that?

His club mate they said. Though his club mate had no interest in letting him leave a hand on the cup to lift it which was bad form

His club mate they said. Though his club mate had no interest in letting him leave a hand on the cup to lift it which was bad form

Seemed a tad peculiar he was there if you ask me? I don't think the captain expected him to be there either. Captain should always lift cup, unless exceptional circumstances. (which I was wondering was there here)

It is part of the honour of being named captain.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1036245360451178496

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't worry about it lads.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it lads.

noone is worrying about it. I was just interested if there as special significance in him being there. Seems a fair question

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Brilliant win and wonderful to have the 5 in a row! :D:D

But let's hope all this underage success will soon pay dividends at senior!!

acequion wrote: »
    Brilliant win and wonderful to have the 5 in a row! :D:D

But let's hope all this underage success will soon pay dividends at senior!!

5 years away from that imo. Those lads today are all only 16/17 and how many will make the transition.

One thing I took from one of the players interviews after the game. He was asked about the 5 in a row and his reply was it didn't really come into their thinking as they had just made their confirmation when the first one was won!! They're still incredibly young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wouldn't get too excited, I can remember getting the Derry players autographs in 2002 thinking they would be senior champions in 2007, a lot of players never heard from after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Brilliant win. By HT Galway looked far superior so massive credit to management for helping turn it around in 2nd half.

5 years worth of winning minor players to feed into the senior set-up can only be a good thing. Players of the first of those five wins featured in the senior team this year and showed promise so hopefully we'll see more getting debuts next year.

Congrats again to all involved today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

That win today was probably the most impressive of all the 5 finals. Seriously up against it in the first half and even a point down late in 2nd. Great character, scoring power and squad strength shown though.

Great to win 5 in a row, but we need to manage these players better to transition some to senior level. The u20 and Senior management appointments will be crucial. I have to say, thought Keane was slow enough making a couple of obvious changes today. Overall though, has done superbly. 3 in a row with 3 different groups. Surely he has to be the leading contender for the Senior job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Cork won 4 in a row hurling championships in the late sixties. They won 4 titles in the seventies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

thesultan wrote: »
    Cork won 4 in a row hurling championships in the late sixties. They won 4 titles in the seventies.

They won 6 under 21 hurling titles in 8 years between 1966 and 73. That was the key to their 70s titles. Under 21 was a far better indictor of prospects of Senior success than minor. Now, under 20 makes it a little harder, but still a better indicator.

I wouldn't get too excited, I can remember getting the Derry players autographs in 2002 thinking they would be senior champions in 2007, a lot of players never heard from after it.

Sure if we can't get excited about a team from our county winning 5 all Irelands in a row, what can we get excited about?

That Derry team won one all Ireland, Kerry have won 5 with 5 different teams so have a much bigger pool to choose from.

Contrary to what your own county man said, the production line is ticking along nicely in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

dobman88 wrote: »
    Sure if we can't get excited about a team from our county winning 5 all Irelands in a row, what can we get excited about?

That Derry team won one all Ireland, Kerry have won 5 with 5 different teams so have a much bigger pool to choose from.

Contrary to what your own county man said, the production line is ticking along nicely in Kerry.

The one thing I would disagree with here is Senior is a big step up and not all those players from the five in a row teams would be good enough. Galway dominate minor hurling but rearly win senior. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Its a great sign but not always guarantees success.

The one thing I would disagree with here is Senior is a big step up and not all those players from the five in a row teams would be good enough. Galway dominate minor hurling but rearly win senior. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Its a great sign but not always guarantees success.

Oh I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to say we would find the next generation from those teams alone. There will be far more dropping away than will make it but having 5 teams to choose from improves our chances of finding the special few that will be good enough to make it.

There will probably be a player that will come along that hasn't played minor or under 21 and make it as a senior, just like Paul Murphy has.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »

What if the AFL get their claws in? I seen in the newspaper they are trialling a couple of Derry u-20 players and even Anthony Tohills son, what chance do we have when this is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

What is Paul Walsh’s club? Tidy player, great future prospect.

What is Paul Walsh’s club? Tidy player, great future prospect.

Brosna

What if the AFL get their claws in? I seen in the newspaper they are trialling a couple of Derry u-20 players and even Anthony Tohills son, what chance do we have when this is going on?

They've already taken players from Kerry and will continue to do so I'd imagine but thankfully Kerry is still a big draw for lads here. Proven with David Clifford staying put to play. Don't know if any particular club was interested or approached him but happy he's playing for Kerry.

I'm sure there are some players that look at the GAA as a way of being "spotted" by the AFL and more power to them if that's their choice. All we can hope is that the proper structures are put in place so Kerry can be competitive and keep players interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Out of the 28 players Kerry used in the championship this year, 8 of them won minor as part of the five in a row.

7 out of the 8 were part of the first 15 who got the most minutes, so it's not as if they were just making up the numbers.

Beyond these 8, there are a lot more who have featured in the league/been called into training/are still developing physically. Obviously not all of the minor winners are going to make the cut at senior intercounty level but some have already made the step-up and there are a fair few more in the wings who will be pushing hard in the coming years.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Out of the 28 players Kerry used in the championship this year, 8 of them won minor as part of the five in a row.

7 out of the 8 were part of the first 15 who got the most minutes, so it's not as if they were just making up the numbers.

Beyond these 8, there are a lot more who have featured in the league/been called into training/are still developing physically. Obviously not all of the minor winners are going to make the cut at senior intercounty level but some have already made the step-up and there are a fair few more in the wings who will be pushing hard in the coming years.

Was going to post something along those lines. I think the very best players from the first two or three teams have already broken through and look capable of keeping their places in the future. The turnover of players this year was really remarkable. Most of these lads had been earmarked with quite a while as potential future stars.

I can’t think of too many more that I would expect to come in and make an impact any time soon. There wasn’t anybody on the U20’s this year that would command immediate inclusion and obviously this years U17’s are many years away.

I think in the short term the new manager will have to work with largely the same group of players that Eamon has had, with a few retirements and new squad players coming in etc.

It is lucky you have that tradition then, noone will turn down AFL contracts to play for Derry, maybe we could have a merger with Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

mickeyk wrote: »
    Boom__Boom wrote: »

Was going to post something along those lines. I think the very best players from the first two or three teams have already broken through and look capable of keeping their places in the future. The turnover of players this year was really remarkable. Most of these lads had been earmarked with quite a while as potential future stars.

I can’t think of too many more that I would expect to come in and make an impact any time soon. There wasn’t anybody on the U20’s this year that would command immediate inclusion and obviously this years U17’s are many years away.

I think in the short term the new manager will have to work with largely the same group of players that Eamon has had, with a few retirements and new squad players coming in etc.

Would be surprised if Okunbor didn't break into the squad in the coming years, though as you say, not likely in the 2019 season.

It is lucky you have that tradition then, noone will turn down AFL contracts to play for Derry, maybe we could have a merger with Antrim.

Mark O’Connor from Dingle of the 14-15 Kerry minor teams now plays for Geelong. Aside from Clifford he was easily the best minor of the 5 teams. He is a big strong, skilful and incredibly mobile midfielder, the prototype player that we are missing at the moment. If players are good enough they will be sought after and it’s down to an individual decision then whether to pursue a professional opportunity like that.

I suppose if you play for one of the high profile teams it does make the decision more difficult, but Mark jumped at the chance and good luck to him.

• Advertisement

Would be surprised if Okunbor didn't break into the squad in the coming years, though as you say, not likely in the 2019 season.

I like O’Brien, Clifford, Moynihan, O’Sullivan and Shaw too but they are all a couple of years away at least. Easy to forget they are a year younger than the old U21 grade as well.

Advertisement