Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is Mark likely to come back anytime soon?

the worry is, like lots before him, that he picks up a serious injury and comes home half the player he went out there

well done to this minor team, unbelieveable bottle again to come back into it and win convincingly in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

is Mark likely to come back anytime soon?

the worry is, like lots before him, that he picks up a serious injury and comes home half the player he went out there

well done to this minor team, unbelieveable bottle again to come back into it and win convincingly in the end.

I have been following his progress and he is acquitting himself well in the VFL and has been used as an interchange in several first team games both this year and last and done ok. The club seem to like him and gave him an extension earlier this year so very doubtful he will be back any time soon. I think the general consensus down there is that he has a lot of potential but not quite ready for the first team yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I was at the Geelong v Hawthorn game in the MCG a few weeks back.

He is still learning the game. Physically and skill wise he is well able for the game but his decision making is too slow and he got caught in posession a few times (by Conor Nash from Meath once).

He's playing a role like Centre Half Back here a lot if the time, but floated around the middle and even had to play full back.

Would be in ideal shape for the modern game, but doubt he'll come home as he is just breaking through to the first team (due to injuries).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I was at the Geelong v Hawthorn game in the MCG a few weeks back.

He is still learning the game. Physically and skill wise he is well able for the game but his decision making is too slow and he got caught in posession a few times (by Conor Nash from Meath once).

He's playing a role like Centre Half Back here a lot if the time, but floated around the middle and even had to play full back.

Would be in ideal shape for the modern game, but doubt he'll come home as he is just breaking through to the first team (due to injuries).

He had a fine game for the first team this morning / last night going by the reports even though his team were soundly beaten and are now done for the season. Great to see him settling in to the first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Best of luck to the Camogie team today,big day for them,taking on Dublin in the All Ireland Junior final at 12 noon

Game is on live on the RTE Player

41215903_2697065573652919_1659058588414377984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=44a181ee6dd0f6590312cd0a23f4ba7f&oe=5C2F66D1

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Are 14 of the team from the same club?
    Best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

davegilly wrote: »
    Are 14 of the team from the same club?
    Best of luck to them

And 9 of the bench!

We only have one senior camogie club which is Claunmaurice and the rest are playing the with underage clubs Cillard and Causeway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

We only have one senior camogie club which is Claunmaurice and the rest are playing the with underage clubs Cillard and Causeway

Who do they play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Crokes surrendered a 10 point half time lead to lose to Rahilly's by 5. Incredible comeback, personally left at HT and in complete disbelief reading the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What a time to be alive

Great result- pity, and surprising, that there’s a back door

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Who do they play?

They used to play in the Limerick championship, so presume they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Unfortunately for everyone else Crokes are still in the competition.

God help the team that draws them in the next round.

East Kerry look like the team to beat this year. Banged in 6 goals against Dingle today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Will Paudie Clifford be joining his brother on the 2019 panel?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for everyone else Crokes are still in the competition.

God help the team that draws them in the next round.

East Kerry look like the team to beat this year. Banged in 6 goals against Dingle today.

Surprised there’s a back door considering how late it started this year and that we aren’t even at quarter final stage in mid sept.

I agree on the god help whoever draws them remark- they’ll hand out a serious hammering I’d say

South Kerry vs Rathmore
    Mid Kerry vs St Brendans
    Dr Crokes vs An Ghaeltacht
    Dingle vs St Kierans

Neutral venues next weekend.

Austin Stacks, East Kerry, Kerins O Rahillys & Killarney Legion already in Quarter Finals which are supposed to be in a fortnights time.

Will Paudie Clifford be joining his brother on the 2019 panel?

Plenty of skill, but it's his temperament you'd be worried about, not as placid as David.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Nope, they don’t play in Limerick anymore.
    The only club v club they play is at Munster junior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Some game in Killarney, dont think they can meet in the qf if crokes beat Ghaeltacht

Not anymore,they just play in the Munster Junior Club Championship now

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/camogie/battling-against-the-odds-to-spread-the-camogie-gospel-37297062.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Same As wrote: »
    Plenty of skill, but it's his temperament you'd be worried about, not as placid as David.

On top of playing for East Kerry yesterday, he also travelled to Cork and played with CIT last night and scored 0-5 having come of the bench at half time. They were playing Castlehaven, so that's decent going.

Statement from Kieran Donaghy

Today I wish to announce my retirement from the Kerry Senior Football team. The journey has been full of ups and downs but I never wanted it to end. It has surpassed even my wildest dreams, that a basketball kid from Tralee would end up playing 69 times in the championship over a 14 year period for the famous Green and Gold.

To every one of my Kerry teammates who I was lucky enough to have played with, I thank you for your patience, help and advice during those years. I’m blessed to have had the time of my life with you boys fighting on my back trying to win games for Kerry. We had some tough times, such is life but the wonderful stories and memories we shared will stick with me forever.

To get the opportunity to soldier with and against some of the greatest players of all time is something I will always treasure.

During my career I have been lucky enough to work with some great Kerry managers and their respective management teams. They took a chance on me, believed in me in massive high-pressure situations. They gave me the confidence to develop my game which allowed me to perform on the biggest of occasions for Kerry .

I would like to thank the Kerry County Board along with our sponsors Kerry Group, backroom staff and medical teams for their constant help and guidance throughout my career. Your unbelievable work is not seen by many but it’s massively appreciated by the team and by me.

A huge thank you to the loyal Kerry fans who traveled far and wide to watch and support us. We love football in this county and while there is a pressure to perform we always embrace it. We need to get behind this young team we will have next year, so get the flags out and get to the games to support the boys.

I would also like to thank all the supporters who live abroad but continue their love and support of Kerry.

I would like to thank my club Austin Stacks, everything I achieved is a direct result of the help and guidance ye gave me from an early age. To represent this great club is always a massive privilege and our county championship win in 2014 gave me the ultimate honour the following season. To be captain of a county like Kerry is something I’m extremely proud to have accomplished.

To my family, without you none of this would have been possible. Mom, I am forever grateful to you for believing in me and showing me how to be a good person first and foremost.

To my wife Hilary, you’re all that I could ask for, thank you so much for always putting me first during my career , we have had so many wonderful experiences together throughout this journey and made life long friends along the way I can’t wait to start the next exciting chapter together with Lola-Rose & Indie.

To the rest of my family, thank you for your support and always having my back.

I’m a proud Kerry man and to have represented this county meant absolutely everything to me. As the great John B Keane once said, ‘I’m one lucky hoor!’

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Legend.

Hopefully we will see Kieran Donaghy on the sideline at some stage in the future as a selector or in some other role,

But for now enjoy your retirement Kieran,thanks for the great memories and all them great days out

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

There's a solid represtation of Kerry lads on RTE already but they should be on to him as soon as possible to try and get him in as a pundit next year. His interview on the GAA hour a few weeks ago should be all they need to hear as a résumé.

A brilliant player and it's hard to think of any one player who reshaped the landscape as he did once he burst on to the scene for Kerry.

To finish I'd just like to say that as a Galway person I absolutely hated the sight of Donaghy whenever we played Kerry and I'm glad we won't face him again. Best compliment I can give him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A unique player. He kept going as long as he was needed and capable.
    He'll be missed.
    He had most things, tough, skill, dirt and a great motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Donaghy leaping arms outstretched above a would-be marker is my generation's version of Mick O'Connell soaring to fetch a kick-out, or Jacko sauntering through midfield. Iconic images that define an era. Bomber Liston is the go-to guy for "big lads at the edge of the square" but Donaghy was the best target-man of my lifetime.

An underdog twice in his career (renaissance season in 2014) and still causing damage to this day, with his nuanced assist for Clifford's brilliant goal vs. Monaghan a fitting conclusion to his career.

Seems like a decent ould skin and always comes across well in media appearances. Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Donaghy leaping arms outstretched above a would-be marker is my generation's version of Mick O'Connell soaring to fetch a kick-out, or Jacko sauntering through midfield. Iconic images that define an era. Bomber Liston is the go-to guy for "big lads at the edge of the square" but Donaghy was the best target-man of my lifetime.

An underdog twice in his career (renaissance season in 2014) and still causing damage to this day, with his nuanced assist for Clifford's brilliant goal vs. Monaghan a fitting conclusion to his career.

Seems like a decent ould skin and always comes across well in media appearances. Legend.

There was not much between himself and Liston as big men at the edge of the square. Micko developed Liston into a fairly complete footballer by the mid '80's but Donaghy had faster hand's for the modern game. It would be hard to pick which you would put in a last 50 year's Kerry team. Both single handed destroyed teams at time's and both were add on's that made teams. Liston made a good team into a great team, while Donoghy made a fairly good team into a very good team. They were both lucky to have good players around them but visa versa they completed team's as well.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement