Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

There's been countless wonderful players over the years that were far more technically gifted then Donaghy but there weren't many that made the impact that he made on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

I actually feel like his skill set was a bit underrated. He got branded with the big man label and underestimated elsewhere, imo. Aside from being a brilliant fielder, he was quick through the hands and very nimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's ironic how one of the "Twin Towers" in the Kerry FF line calls it a day on September 11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

His point to draw Kerry level in the 2011 final was unreal (obviously Cluxtons winner overshadowed it)

I love when he burst onto the scene. He was doing ok against Armagh in the QF but not great either. They where giving him verbals about crying to the ref or something for frees. Early in the 2nd half a high ball comes into square , Donaghy gathers it , gets onto to his feet and drills into the net before replying to the Armagh keeper
    “Who’s crying now”?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

C__MC wrote: »
    His point to draw Kerry level in the 2011 final was unreal (obviously Cluxtons winner overshadowed it)

I love when he burst onto the scene. He was doing ok against Armagh in the QF but not great either. They where giving him verbals about crying to the ref or something for frees. Early in the 2nd half a high ball comes into square , Donaghy gathers it , gets onto to his feet and drills into the net before replying to the Armagh keeper
    “Who’s crying now”?

Amen to that. Turning him loose at full forward was the winning of the All Ireland that year. I know he caught flak for that incident, but it was exactly the "f**k you" attitude we needed. Sorry to see him go, an absolute warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

elguapo wrote: »
    Amen to that. Turning him loose at full forward was the winning of the All Ireland that year. I know he caught flak for that incident, but it was exactly the "f**k you" attitude we needed. Sorry to see him go, an absolute warrior.

Remember the way he went looking for an interview after that to explain himself and say sorry about it and all that? He was a real tonic when he burst onto the scene that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Clifford and Gavin White bominated for the All Stars.

Clifford nominated for YPOTY.
    It's 50/50 between himself and Howard I feel, but considering Howard won the All Ireland that tips the scales in his favour for me. (Not that i'd swap Clifford for anyone in Ireland)

Clifford should be a shoe in for an All Star though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

'Coach told me, 'You'll be playing with Kieran Donaghy. He's the LeBron James of Gaelic football''

http://www.the42.ie/trae-pemberton-kieran-donaghy-tralee-warriors-4232604-Sep2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

DDC1990 wrote: »

It's 50/50 between himself and Howard I feel, but considering Howard won the All Ireland that tips the scales in his favour for me. (Not that i'd swap Clifford for anyone in Ireland)

Where does Clifford play at club level?

Centre Half forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

DDC1990 wrote: »

Agreed. The AI might indeed end up tipping YPOTY Howard's way, but you could nearly argue the comparison the other way around too IMO. Like, you could say it's one thing to make your impression like Howard did as "just" one of multiple standout performers on a dominant team full of leaders. Whereas Clifford was an even younger rookie who came into a team in transition and struggling to reach its potential, and he ended up being the star performer and go-to forward for crucial scores.

Don't think there should be many complaints regardless of which of the two of them gets it , though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

After this weekend's action, the QF draw is as follows:

South Kerry v East Kerry
    Austin Stacks v Dingle
    St. Brendans v Kerins O'Rahillys
    Legion v Dr Crokes

East Kerry, Stacks, Rahillys and Crokes will start as favourites, but both South Kerry and Brendans could cause upsets if they find some consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

After this weekend's action, the QF draw is as follows:

South Kerry v East Kerry
    Austin Stacks v Dingle
    St. Brendans v Kerins O'Rahillys
    Legion v Dr Crokes

East Kerry, Stacks, Rahillys and Crokes will start as favourites, but both South Kerry and Brendans could cause upsets if they find some consistency.

3 coin tosses & Crokes should be beating Legion.

The summary of the championship so far - there are either no defenders in the county or just ridiculous forwards. Some of the scorelines so far are outrageous, particularly for 60 minute games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Same As wrote: »
    there are either no defenders in the county or just ridiculous forwards. Some of the scorelines so far are outrageous,

sums up our senior team - in terms of average scored per game this year in the championship, it was one of the highest in kerrys history. 79 was the last time we got similiar scores.

Bittersweet to see Donnchadh finishing up. The time is probably right, but man alive he gave us some great memories. No one tried harder for the cause.

Donnchadh Walsh has to be one of the most effective half forwards we have had in my time watching Kerry,was under rated for a lot his Kerry career but he was a top quality player

Sundays County Football Championship double header of Crokes vs Legion and East vs South Kerry will be live on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

He is well worth his place to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Big shock in Saturday's early game, as Dingle comfortably defeat Stacks by 3-9 to 0-9, will Strand Road be similarly ambushed shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Anyone at either game to give a report?

I wouldnt call Dingle beating Stacks a shock- sure Stacks are a division 2 side and Dingle are a division 1 side with Paul Geaney and some phenomenal underage players coming through from the PCD teams.

As an aside- Mark O Connor was home from Oz and played for Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Big shock in Saturday's early game, as Dingle comfortably defeat Stacks by 3-9 to 0-9, will Strand Road be similarly ambushed shortly?

Dingle have a very very good side, i would have fancied them to beat Stacks anyway.

YEOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Anyone at either game to give a report?

I wouldnt call Dingle beating Stacks a shock- sure Stacks are a division 2 side and Dingle are a division 1 side with Paul Geaney and some phenomenal underage players coming through from the PCD teams.

As an aside- Mark O Connor was home from Oz and played for Dingle.

Any chance he'll stay :)

Semi final draw has been made

Dr Crokes vs Kerins O Rahillys
    East Kerry vs Dingle

Games will be played in 2 weeks time.

I presume ourselves and Dingle will have to travel to Killarney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

After today you would have to fancy East Kerry over Dingle.

As for Crokes, if they beat Kerins O Rahillys (and assuming East Kerry beat Dingle) then that is their place in the Munster Club Championship sealed. You'd fancy them to do just that.

Advertisement