Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

keane2097 wrote: »
    I presume ourselves and Dingle will have to travel to Killarney

Yeah it's a double header supposedly but not fixed as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Same As wrote: »
    Sundays County Football Championship double header of Crokes vs Legion and East vs South Kerry will be live on TG4.

Lest we forget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

mystic86 wrote: »
    After today you would have to fancy East Kerry over Dingle.

Well considering the scoreline was East Kerry 6-15 Dingle 2-10 a few weeks back you would have to be a brave man to back fancy Dingle, even with the addition of Mark O'Connor. The Dingle heads really dropped in the 2nd half of that game and East Kerry ran riot. Maybe the extra games will bring them on, but I'd be shocked if East Kerry don't prevail.

Hard to see Kerins O'Rahillys beating Crokes twice, especially when you factor in Gavin White only came on for 15 minutes in that game and Tony Brosnan wasn't playing at all. Combine that with the fact that Kerins O'Rahillys made hard work of it last night and it's very much looking like an East Kerry v Crokes final at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

South Kerry were no match for East Kerry today. Clifford was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Well considering the scoreline was East Kerry 6-15 Dingle 2-10 a few weeks back you would have to be a brave man to back fancy Dingle, even with the addition of Mark O'Connor. The Dingle heads really dropped in the 2nd half of that game and East Kerry ran riot. Maybe the extra games will bring them on, but I'd be shocked if East Kerry don't prevail.

Hard to see Kerins O'Rahillys beating Crokes twice, especially when you factor in Gavin White only came on for 15 minutes in that game and Tony Brosnan wasn't playing at all. Combine that with the fact that Kerins O'Rahillys made hard work of it last night and it's very much looking like an East Kerry v Crokes final at the moment.

its an embarrassment of riches reading this post , the idea of amalgamations is in talks progress in clare football at the moment hopfully it catches on , the way the championship in kerry is run is the module every county should run , especially when you can find lads like clifford from clubs like fossa that you would never look at , i also imagine the likes of dingle or kerins would win the clare championship comfortable at the moment ....big gap !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

keane2097 wrote: »
    I presume ourselves and Dingle will have to travel to Killarney

Double header fixed for Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Will Clifford be captain if east Kerry win it out?

john9876 wrote: »
    Will Clifford be captain if east Kerry win it out?

Either him or Kevin McCarthy. Makes a mockery of the captaincy anyway. Team captain should be picked by the manager, as good n all as Clifford is, having a 21 year old captain in his second season would be ridiculous. I never liked the way the captaincy was decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

He will be 20 not 21

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

dobman88 wrote: »
    Either him or Kevin McCarthy. Makes a mockery of the captaincy anyway. Team captain should be picked by the manager, as good n all as Clifford is, having a 21 year old captain in his second season would be ridiculous. I never liked the way the captaincy was decided.

Not really it is a tradition and a tradition that has worked in Kerry. Declan O'Sullivan was something similar. I remember being annoyed when he was drafted in for the final after being injured. But he proved himself that day. I as soon give it to Clifford who will lead by example age dose not make a footballer great and youth is not am impediment to either ability or maturity.

In a way it takes the responsibility away from the manager but he can still pick his 2-3 leaders on the field and these can still control the game. I do a bit of coaching and its a pain picking a captain there is always other players upset. If that is taken away you can use you 3-5 leaders to control and influence the game often more effectively

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

I’ve never liked the way the captaincy is decided. The best leader on the pitch should be selected. Having said that, from what I have seen of Clifford in both matches and interviews, he seems to have a solid head on his shoulders and looks like a natural leader. Even at his young age I’d rather see him as captain than a lot of the older players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Another good man gone today with Anthony Maher calling it a day. Anotehr underappreciated player imo. Also another player brought in by Pat O Shea

cms88 wrote: »
    Another good man gone today with Anthony Maher calling it a day. Anotehr underappreciated player imo. Also another player brought in by Pat O Shea

The Kerry team is like a sinking ship at the moment with many of its major chiefs packing it in. What is up?

Amprodude wrote: »
    The Kerry team is like a sinking ship at the moment with many of its major chiefs packing it in. What is up?

Some should be gone 1-2 years ago. I think it a natural cleaning out. There is still a few more to go.

Slava Ukrainii

Some should be gone 1-2 years ago. I think it a natural cleaning out. There is still a few more to go.

I thought Maher had a year or 2 left in him. Thought Donaghy was still good enough to play too or impact sub. He was in super shape even when he announced retirement.

I thought Maher had a year or 2 left in him. Thought Donaghy was still good enough to play too or impact sub. He was in super shape even when he announced retirement.

Limerick hurling proved two things this year with new league type formats you cannot afford to carry passengers on the team. You are better off with younger players than older players and with hurling and football you now need a match day panel of 24 players fit and ready to go.

Game is all about mobility Maher will be 32 next season and Donaghy 36. You can no longer afford to carry 5-6 lads on a panel that are only 15-20 minutes players. It causes two issue first they have limited capibility as to what you can do with them and they holding bench positions from younger players.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Limerick hurling proved two things this year with new league type formats you cannot afford to carry passengers on the team. You are better off with younger players than older players and with hurling and football you now need a match day panel of 24 players fit and ready to go.

Game is all about mobility Maher will be 32 next season and Donaghy 36. You can no longer afford to carry 5-6 lads on a panel that are only 15-20 minutes players. It causes two issue first they have limited capibility as to what you can do with them and they holding bench positions from younger players.

Also Maher plagued with injuries of late...

mystic86 wrote: »
    Also Maher plagued with injuries of late...

As players get older this is an issue and trying to achieve fitness. It is not just Maher, Darren O Sullivan, Enright, Donnacha Walsh were all injured last year. Griffin, Young had injuries fitness issues as well IMO.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/peter-keane-to-be-kerrys-new-manager-873575.html

So its Keane after all.

If we get Donie Buckley back that would be a good coup.

• Advertisement

The obvious choice. I've been saying for weeks that the only way he wouldn't become manager is if he didn't want it! Hopefully he'll freshen things up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

As players get older this is an issue and trying to achieve fitness. It is not just Maher, Darren O Sullivan, Enright, Donnacha Walsh were all injured last year. Griffin, Young had injuries fitness issues as well IMO.

Tadhg Morley too! Scandle that young came straight in after injury and suspension

Tadhg Morley too! Scandle that young came straight in after injury and suspension

Morley is young but trying to carry 4-5 over 30 injured and not at there full fitness players as well as having 1-2 more 20 minutes players is not doable

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/peter-keane-to-be-kerrys-new-manager-873575.html

So its Keane after all.

If we get Donie Buckley back that would be a good coup.

alot of the talk was that he wouldn't take it if he had to bring buckley back

will be interesting to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

50HX wrote: »
    alot of the talk was that he wouldn't take it if he had to bring buckley back

will be interesting to see what happens

it appears that was nonsense talk. and also, it was him that picked his own selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Delighted with that news.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I know nothing about him but what's so good about Buckley? Is he some kind of guru like Tally or what's the song and dance about him?

I know nothing about him but what's so good about Buckley? Is he some kind of guru like Tally or what's the song and dance about him?

He has been the mayo trainer for the last few years. He is supposed to be excellent at training defender.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

He has been the mayo trainer for the last few years. He is supposed to be excellent at training defender.

Ah yeah but they have the raw materials up there. I don't know would any of the Kerry backs get in that Mayo backline ... anyway he's probably the right man for this young team, it's just funny the fuss being made of him in the Mayo thread and now on here.

Advertisement