Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Ah yeah but they have the raw materials up there. I don't know would any of the Kerry backs get in that Mayo backline ... anyway he's probably the right man for this young team, it's just funny the fuss being made of him in the Mayo thread and now on here.

Agreed but the Kerry backs are very young, several starters are still 20/21, give them time. With consistent coaching we should have a much better unit in a couple of years.

Mayo improved dramatically when Buckley joined them in 2012 and and the players were full of praise for him so I don’t think it was just a coincidence. They did have some of their best players ever during that time, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1049375889383940096

Peter Keane is the new top dog. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Go now Keane! You're a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1049375889383940096

Peter Keane is the new top dog. Thoughts?

The whole management team certainly looks impressive on paper - Tommy Griffin was excellent with Fitzmaurice at Pobalscoil Corca Dhuibhne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

No excuses now from Kerry. Great manager great selectors, great backroom team and great talent in the county. If Kerry don't deliver now i wonder who the supporters will blame? They are the best equipped unit now to win the All Ireland for the next five years. we will see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Amprodude wrote: »
    No excuses now from Kerry. Great manager great selectors, great backroom team and great talent in the county. If Kerry don't deliver now i wonder who the supporters will blame? They are the best equipped unit now to win the All Ireland for the next five years. we will see what happens.

What a ridiculous post.

If Dublin didn't exist you might have had a point, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post.

If Dublin didn't exist you might have had a point, but.....

Dublin won't be there forever as you know and very beatable for a team like Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

You post this same nonsense over and over again- do you not get enough attention at home or something?

If you are so sure that Kerry are the best equipped to win Sam then post up a photo of your betting slips go back up your opinion- money where mouth is and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Kerry will win All Ireland in 2020 and will come very close in 2019. Bang on the money there and there should be no excuses. That's how I read it. IF you don't like my post then I suggest you not get caught up in no man's land and head over to the soccer forum.

Will win an All Ireland in 2020 but not next year? Like you previously said?

"How you read it" is the issue- you either read it disingenuously or you just cant read it

And I dont need to head to any forum- I'm quite happy here discussing Kerry GAA as the majority of people aren't making pointless attempts to be wind-up merchants. If you had some bit of wit then people might find it endearing but alas...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Hi guys, chatting to the brother this evening (he was at the games today, I wasn't) and he said gooch slapped the notebook or whistle from the refs hand. We all know what happened with Galvin but will the gooch get any type of ban that might rule him out of the final? Brother says it would be harsh and I agree, google didn't throw up anything concrete in the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kerry37 wrote:
    Hi guys, chatting to the brother this evening (he was at the games today, I wasn't) and he said gooch slapped the notebook or whistle from the refs hand. We all know what happened with Galvin but will the gooch get any type of ban that might rule him out of the final? Brother says it would be harsh and I agree, google didn't throw up anything concrete in the rules.

I wasn't at the match and was ready to call your brother out on pulling your leg but my father was at the game and said the same thing.

He actually thought Cooper got a red, but by all reports it was a black.

Crazy stuff from a guy who should know better.

If he made contact with the referee he deserves whatever ban comes his way regardless of his reputation.

Ha, no. He wouldn't be the wind up type in fairness. Sounds a bit mad that he'd do that alright tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Refs were poor in both games. Shane Doolan very lucky to not even get a talking to in the first half. Same with the Gooch. Lot of big calls went against Stand Road, they really need to sort out their keeper.

In the first game had Dingle spent more time trying to play instead of trying to set Clifford set off they might have actually won

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Anyone know anymore as to why Mark O'Connor didn't play for Dingle at the weekend and will he play in the replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Darran has called it a day. So that's Donaghy, Donnchadh, Maher & Darran all gone now.

Best of luck to Darran, understandable for the guy, new business and new baby on the way. Beir bua!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Anyone know anymore as to why Mark O'Connor didn't play for Dingle at the weekend and will he play in the replay?

His employers in Australia had a quiet word after they were informed that he played in the quarter-final and kindly requested that he play no further part in the championship.

Perfectly understandable as they do pay his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Benildus wrote: »
    His employers in Australia had a quiet word after they were informed that he played in the quarter-final and kindly requested that he play no further part in the championship.

Perfectly understandable as they do pay his wages.

youd think he would have cleared that first?

in saying that, theres lots of examples of lads playing at this time of the year for their clubs when they are home

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He may have decided it was better to ask forgiveness than permission. I would guess the answer would always be 'no' if you asked in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Same As wrote: »
    Darran has called it a day. So that's Donaghy, Donnchadh, Maher & Darran all gone now.

Best of luck to Darran, understandable for the guy, new business and new baby on the way. Beir bua!

ya, alot on for him and i guess the other 3 lads that have retired. 3 of them were injured all year also, which may have influenced their decision.

one of the youngest squad we have ever had surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

ya, alot on for him and i guess the other 3 lads that have retired. 3 of them were injured all year also, which may have influenced their decision.

one of the youngest squad we have ever had surely?

As it stands, I'd hazard a guess at the 10 oldest on the potential panel being:

Killian Young (31)
    David Moran (30)
    Shane Enright (30)
    Mikey Geaney (29)
    Brian Kelly (28)
    Fionn Fitzgerald (28)
    Peter Crowley (28)
    James O Donoghue (28)
    BJ Keane (28)
    Daithi Casey (28)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kerry youngster Mark O'Connor has apologised to his AFL club Geelong after he played a Gaelic football match for Dingle without permission.

The 21-year-old had returned home after the end of the AFL season and lined out for Dingle during their Kerry club championship quarter-final victory over Austin Stacks. However, head of Geelong football Simon Lloyd told AFL.com doing so is a breach of contract.

It was down to the risk of injury which would then compromise his ability to play and train for Geelong. We (told Mark) cannot provide permission for you to play in further Gaelic football games as it's a breach to his contract.

To Mark's credit, he acknowledged Geelong was his main priority and that he wouldn't do it again.

Geelong are not the only club to implement such a policy. As he revealed in an interview with Balls.ie last year, Meathman Conor Nash was told by his club Hawthorn Hawks that he was not to play for Simonstown Gaels again after playing for them last year:

"I did it on the sly. I didn’t tell the club, so that probably wasn’t the best. They were a bit disappointed! They just said ‘look, you are a professional. This is your code now. If you were to get injured..."

Other players have returned to play for their clubs in the past. O'Connor's team-mate, Zach Tuohy, has returned and played for Portlaoise.
    Cat apologises for playing secret Gaelic match
    Mitch Cleary
    Oct 16, 2018 10:20PM

IRISHMAN Mark O'Connor was forced to apologise to Geelong officials after they discovered he played a recent Gaelic football match without the Cats' permission.

O'Connor returned home to Ireland after playing in Geelong's losing elimination final to Melbourne and lined up for Dingle in their Kerry county senior championship semi-final on September 29.

The 21-year-old, who joined the Cats as an international rookie at the end of 2016, lasted just 45 minutes before he was sent from the field for a foul that resulted in a scuffle.

It was O'Connor's first competitive match of Gaelic football in more than two years.

AFL.com.au understands Geelong was unaware of O'Connor's participation until the days following the match, which prompted instant communication from senior football staff.

"It was down to the risk of injury which would then compromise his ability to play and train for Geelong," head of football Simon Lloyd said when contacted by AFL.com.au.

"We (told Mark we) cannot provide permission for you to play in further Gaelic football games as it's a breach to his contract."

"To Mark's credit, he acknowledged Geelong was his main priority and that he wouldn't do it again."

Geelong's strict instructions to O'Connor came before Carlton's Irishman Ciaran Byrne suffered a serious leg injury playing Gaelic football last week after retiring from the Blues.

O'Connor was absent from the Cats' best and fairest count on October 4, granted leave by the Cats to return home to Ireland.

After five games this season, including the last four consecutive matches, O'Connor remains contracted at GMHBA Stadium for 2019.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-16/cat-apologises-for-playing-secret-gaelic-match

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/kerrys-oconnor-apologises-afl-club-playing-club-championship-game-398920

Killian Young (31)
    David Moran (30)
    Shane Enright (30)
    Mikey Geaney (29)
    Brian Kelly (28)
    Fionn Fitzgerald (28)
    Peter Crowley (28)
    James O Donoghue (28)
    BJ Keane (28)
    Daithi Casey (28)

Young will be 32 in January; It wouldn't be a huge shock if he decided to call it a day.

Out of the rest of the 9 players, there's a fair few there who will be under pressure to make the panel, depending on what decisions Keane makes.

Killian Young (31)
    David Moran (30)
    Shane Enright (30)
    Mikey Geaney (29)
    Brian Kelly (28)
    Fionn Fitzgerald (28)
    Peter Crowley (28)
    James O Donoghue (28)
    BJ Keane (28)
    Daithi Casey (28)

I would say Moran is the only cert. IMO wouldn't be surprised to not see any of the others next year. All have been there for 5/6 years now and just haven't been doing it in the last 2 years

cms88 wrote: »
    I would say Moran is the only cert. IMO wouldn't be surprised to not see any of the others next year. All have been there for 5/6 years now and just haven't been doing it in the last 2 years

Moran would be dragged around like a ragdoll by any kind of mobile midfielder and his kick passing leaves a lot to be desired.

James probably fairly certain of a place I would have thought. Him Clifford and Geaney inside.

I'd say Barry John would be kept on the squad, some man for an inpact sub, you know you're guaranteed 2 or 3 points from him and plenty running no matter what stage he's introduced.

The others will probably have to fight for their place. Hope to god Mikey Geaney is booted off the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

7 or 8 of those will be in the panel with most of them getting championship games. The problem with the panel now isn't that it's too old, it's that it's too inexperienced. It'd be madness not to try to keep the experienced heads around for the next few years while the other lads come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Killian Young (31)
    David Moran (30)
    Shane Enright (30)
    Mikey Geaney (29)
    Brian Kelly (28)
    Fionn Fitzgerald (28)
    Peter Crowley (28)
    James O Donoghue (28)
    BJ Keane (28)
    Daithi Casey (28)
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Young will be 32 in January; It wouldn't be a huge shock if he decided to call it a day.

Out of the rest of the 9 players, there's a fair few there who will be under pressure to make the panel, depending on what decisions Keane makes.
    7 or 8 of those will be in the panel with most of them getting championship games. The problem with the panel now isn't that it's too old, it's that it's too inexperienced. It'd be madness not to try to keep the experienced heads around for the next few years while the other lads come through.

Looking at the 10 in the first post only Moran, Crowley and O'Donoghue have much to offer. BJK made no impact last year and has never started a serious championship game in the last five years, you can say much the same about Casey, Fitzgearld, Geaney and Kelly. Then you have Enright and Young. Enright was injured last year and I cannot see him being even of short term benifit after what happed against Andy Moran in 2017, Moran won POTY because of him. That leaves Killian Young and again I was not impressed last year and cannot seeing him being of benifit. Looking at it we have Crowley and Murphy have a lot of experience now we need as many young lads on the bench getting experience as fast as possible not a few journey men that never made it. Mark Griffin is in the firing line as well IMO.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stefan Okunbar signing a 2 year contract with Geelong. Gutted. He was raw in footballing terms but had a massive ceiling in terms of ability. An exceptional athlete and something we have been missing in Kerry in terms of mobility around the field. I wasn't one who though he was the second coming of Moynihan at Fullback but he would have been very valuable indeed over the coming years somewhere in defence.

Massive loss to Na Gaeil as well in their first ever year in Division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Looking at the 10 in the first post only Moran, Crowley and O'Donoghue have much to offer. BJK made no impact last year and has never started a serious championship game in the last five years, you can say much the same about Casey, Fitzgearld, Geaney and Kelly. Then you have Enright and Young. Enright was injured last year and I cannot see him being even of short term benifit after what happed against Andy Moran in 2017, Moran won POTY because of him. That leaves Killian Young and again I was not impressed last year and cannot seeing him being of benifit. Looking at it we have Crowley and Murphy have a lot of experience now we need as many young lads on the bench getting experience as fast as possible not a few journey men that never made it. Mark Griffin is in the firing line as well IMO.

Ara come off it, BJK Fitzgerald, Enright in particular gave enough service down the years to deserve better from you. As for the other "old" lads there, name out the new lads who'll be ready to replace them in the squad, bench or team next summer.

kerry37 wrote: »
    Moran would be dragged around like a ragdoll by any kind of mobile midfielder and his kick passing leaves a lot to be desired.

James probably fairly certain of a place I would have thought. Him Clifford and Geaney inside.

I'd say Barry John would be kept on the squad, some man for an inpact sub, you know you're guaranteed 2 or 3 points from him and plenty running no matter what stage he's introduced.

The others will probably have to fight for their place. Hope to god Mikey Geaney is booted off the panel.

IMO they should cut their losses with James O Donoghue at this stage. Since 2015 and that shoulder injury he hasn't been the same. Won't take his man on anymore, i assume because of it, and really that's no good to anyone.

BJK has offered very little in recent times, was poor enough at the weekend as well i thought. While he might still get a point or two in game he wastes a lot to get them scores.

• Advertisement

cms88 wrote: »
    IMO they should cut their losses with James O Donoghue at this stage. Since 2015 and that shoulder injury he hasn't been the same. Won't take his man on anymore, i assume because of it, and really that's no good to anyone.

BJK has offered very little in recent times, was poor enough at the weekend as well i thought. While he might still get a point or two in game he wastes a lot to get them scores.

There's no way JOD is going anywhere - he really looked back to his best form in the county championship. Even in the Crokes game, he was the only Legion player to turn in an sort of a performance and that was with a very limited supply of ball. He had great games against Rathmore and Mid Kerry by all accounts. He scored 2-15 in the 3 county championship games with 2-9 of it from play. There's also the fact that he was playing great football when Peter Keane was over Legion.

BJK, like a lot of the other experienced lads in the squad, will have to perform to keep his place.

Advertisement