Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

What was the story with Clifford at the weekend? Of the clips I saw her saw involved in about three rows..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

thesultan wrote: »
    What was the story with Clifford at the weekend? Of the clips I saw her saw involved in about three rows..

A player who's 19 going on 20 is going to take a while to control his temper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

thesultan wrote: »

There was definitely an element of him being targeted.
    A big factor was the referee had a bad day at the office and wasn't exactly what you would call in control of affairs, so things were rather narky.
    Unfortunately he is going to have to get used to it, as the GAA powers that be, continue to shirk their duty in terms of imposing a proper disciplinary system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have no choice but to go with the young lads. They will not be blooded on the training ground and GYM. When you look at Sean O'Se you question what he was not played last year.

Of the 15 above Fionn, Young, Maher, Darren and Lyne have liitle to offter in the short term even, Donnacha who I have great respect for is more than likly gone as weel. Donaghy has that physical presence to worry other team but that is limited as his value around the field is limited.
    I agree and would you prefer a full forward line of Geany,Clifford and O'Donoghue, or Donnacha, Donnoghy and Geaney. Darren O'Sillivan is not really an option even as a sub you really need to throw the young lads in at the dep end if we want to win an All-Ireland before the '20's
    But this goes back to managment. Since Fitzmaurice we have had less of a turn over of players than for a long time. In any sucessfull team tou will have a core of players that will have 10+ year careers, you will have players with 6-8 year careers and those that have 3-6 year careers. usually they are split equally across a panel.

E£ven with the great Kerry team there was only 5 that collected 8 All Ireland medals. another abou 5-6 collected 6-7 and you had 4-5 that collected 3. There was a turn over of players. In 2013 EF bought in 4-5 players and since then virtuall zilch. You have a core of 10+ players that are there a very long time and another 4-5 that only make cameo appearances.

As other posters alluded in Kerry we demand very high standards or as POS says Kerry supporters are the ''worst type of animal''. EF has show a propensity to stick with older players we are 2-3 years behind the game. then maybe we need Dublin to do 5 or 6 in a row to get our act togeather.
    Donnacha age is against him he is 32 years old. Football is all about power, fitness and pace at present. Unless you use him instead of JOD or SOB it would be a step backwards to drop one of the younger players. It is unlikly we will win an All Ireland this year, over the last 2-3 years we have held on to older player on the hope of winning one. We got decimated by Mayo last year because of it.
    Last years championship was a step backwards after winning the league with younger players. I know we had injury problems but we saw the issues 2-3 players and having nothing on the bench. We need to be using younger players on every available space we can and that includes on the bench.
    Ara come off it, BJK Fitzgerald, Enright in particular gave enough service down the years to deserve better from you. As for the other "old" lads there, name out the new lads who'll be ready to replace them in the squad, bench or team next summer.

Brocbrocach these are some posts that I have put up over the last 9 months. There seems to be this attitude that experience and age are too imprtant to be dispensed. In Kerry we no longer have that luxury. All of these players were great ambassadors and good footballers. However it is now time to move on i gave an honest opinion of what there ability is now.

I am involved in my own club I have coached selected under age and I am now involved at adult level. It is tough having to tell a lad he is not getting started at club level he can still tog out and go in his own time. At County level you have not got that luxury you have limited panels and limited bench positions. If older players are kept too long ( and we have kept too many older players too long) then younger lads will not come through. It is hard to expect young lads to train for year after year and see older lads come back after the nitty gritty of the league and be tailored into the team.

I gave an opinion about the 10 players I cannot see anyone of them being an impact sub next year. On a panel of 30 ish players you cannot carry 6-8 twenty minute older players. This is what has happened last year. It is not nice having to say it just like it is not nice having to tell a lad that started all year he is not staring for a semi-final or final. But as a manager/selector they are the call you make.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Brocbrocach these are some posts that I have put up over the last 9 months. There seems to be this attitude that experience and age are too imprtant to be dispensed. In Kerry we no longer have that luxury. All of these players were great ambassadors and good footballers. However it is now time to move on i gave an honest opinion of what there ability is now.

I am involved in my own club I have coached selected under age and I am now involved at adult level. It is tough having to tell a lad he is not getting started at club level he can still tog out and go in his own time. At County level you have not got that luxury you have limited panels and limited bench positions. If older players are kept too long ( and we have kept too many older players too long) then younger lads will not come through. It is hard to expect young lads to train for year after year and see older lads come back after the nitty gritty of the league and be tailored into the team.

I gave an opinion about the 10 players I cannot see anyone of them being an impact sub next year. On a panel of 30 ish players you cannot carry 6-8 twenty minute older players. This is what has happened last year. It is not nice having to say it just like it is not nice having to tell a lad that started all year he is not staring for a semi-final or final. But as a manager/selector they are the call you make.

In fairness to you, I would agree with most of the sentiments you expressed and you're not far wrong.
    Just wouldn't totally write fellas off too quickly. A bit of experience around the squad can be an important thing too. That being said, as you've alluded to, if someone is in a squad for 3/4 years and proven to be not up to it, no point hanging around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Has Mikey Geaney retired yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    There's no way JOD is going anywhere - he really looked back to his best form in the county championship. Even in the Crokes game, he was the only Legion player to turn in an sort of a performance and that was with a very limited supply of ball. He had great games against Rathmore and Mid Kerry by all accounts. He scored 2-15 in the 3 county championship games with 2-9 of it from play. There's also the fact that he was playing great football when Peter Keane was over Legion.

BJK, like a lot of the other experienced lads in the squad, will have to perform to keep his place.

A lot of people are saying this and i don't understand why. That was 3 years ago and before he got injured

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In fairness to you, I would agree with most of the sentiments you expressed and you're not far wrong.
    Just wouldn't totally write fellas off too quickly. A bit of experience around the squad can be an important thing too. That being said, as you've alluded to, if someone is in a squad for 3/4 years and proven to be not up to it, no point hanging around.

We will still have experience on the panel, O'Brien, Paul Geaney, JOD, and this is Sean O see third year on the panel. Moran and Barry at midfield as well as Crowley and Murphy and Tom O'Sullivan is on his third year in the backs. If Mark Griffin hangs in there you have him. You will have another 5-6 that have played last year. The issue is that this process should have started in 2016 but we seem to want all superstars only we seem to have lost the ability to integrate players that will only be on the team and panel for 2-4 years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

David Clifford is going to have surgery on his shoulder when East Kerry get knocked out of the championship and he'll miss most of the national league.

Hopefully he's young enough and strong enough to recover properly and we don't see another top prospect dogged by injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hope that Dingle selector (or whatever role he had) gets a nice long ban. Hard to shout for Dingle I must say, they leave a bad taste. Crokes FTW I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hope that Dingle selector (or whatever role he had) gets a nice long ban. Hard to shout for Dingle I must say, they leave a bad taste. Crokes FTW I guess.

They've been like that for a long time. Well able to give it out, but are the victims when it happens to them

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

I was at the game yesterday but couldn't see what the two coaches got the reds for in the bust up. Anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

€20 for the final is steep, €15 is standard across the country,Dont understand the inflated price without a double header

Prop Joe wrote: »
    €20 for the final is steep, €15 is standard across the country,Dont understand the inflated price without a double header

Have seen some friends on Facebook and Twitter complaining about the €15 price tag for the semi replay. Surely a tenner would have sufficed for that. I think a tenner is enough for any club game, even for a county final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

25 for senior and intermediate hurling finals double in Cork, a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

20 quid!!! Having a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Whoever the tracksuit thug is in that video I hope he gets a life ban.

Darran was on terrace talk tonight. Missed it myself due to work but hope it'll be up on podcast tomorrow or during the week. A man that owes nothing to Kerry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

All county boards were instructed that finals must be €20. It was €20 in Mayo at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

franklyon wrote: »

Can you put up a link to the video please?

• Advertisement

Can you put up a link to the video please?

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1054350032445550592?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

kerry37 wrote: »

That's assault, plain and simple.

That person should be before the courts in the morning, no more about it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

That's assault, plain and simple.

That person should be before the courts in the morning, no more about it.

Yes and Dara Moynihan is only a young lad too.

Longer video here and it shows Paudie Clifford coming in for the fella that decks Dara Moynihan. Paudie got a red card for it, while it deserves a red, but no Dingle player saw the line which was strange.

https://twitter.com/Kevin_McGinty/status/1054025098745823238?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

It was a very cowardly attack too, almost blindsided. Hope he gets a long ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

franklyon wrote: »

Name is on twitter if you look hard enough. Obviously not going to name him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

statto25 wrote: »
    All county boards were instructed that finals must be €20. It was €20 in Mayo at the weekend

Mayo was €15 as was Tipp & Cavan finals..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Name is on twitter if you look hard enough. Obviously not going to name him here.

why not? Colm Geaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

APcomp wrote: »
    why not? Colm Geaney.

You're dead right. Former manager of the Dingle minors too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

8 week ban, that'll show him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

statto25 wrote: »

Was €15 for a double header, Intermediate final on first

Advertisement