Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Amprodude wrote: »
    that doesn't matter. Howard still was the best player for that award. Clifford played brillant throughout the year but he was def in 2nd place for this award. Sometimes you wonder how these awards are given out.

No need to wonder. The players voted for the candidate that they thought deserved the award. It’s fairly transparent and simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

mickeyk wrote: »
    No need to wonder. The players voted for the candidate that they thought deserved the award. It’s fairly transparent and simple really

a bit of favourism doesnt come into it i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

a bit of favourism doesnt come into it i suppose.

Why would neutral players from other counties show favouritism towards Clifford over Howard? Is it not more likely that the majority of them just thought Clifford should get the award and therefore voted for him?

You don’t agree with their view and that’s fine but stop trying to make out that there was some sort of stroke involved in Clifford getting the award. It was completely transparent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

that doesn't matter. Howard still was the best player for that award. Clifford played brillant throughout the year but he was def in 2nd place for this award. Sometimes you wonder how these awards are given out.

Other the fact he's from Dublin why should Howard have won it?

mickeyk wrote: »
    Why would neutral players from other counties show favouritism towards Clifford over Howard? Is it not more likely that the majority of them just thought Clifford should get the award and therefore voted for him?

You don’t agree with their view and that’s fine but stop trying to make out that there was some sort of stroke involved in Clifford getting the award. It was completely transparent

But of course there had to be something else to it. You should know by now that's the only reason a Dublin player doesn't get thses awards. It's a conspiracy against them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

cms88 wrote: »
    Other the fact he's from Dublin why should Howard have won it?

Because his fantastic season ended in success, Clifford didn’t even get to an All Ireland semi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

EICVD wrote: »
    Because his fantastic season ended in success, Clifford didn’t even get to an All Ireland semi

Howard deserved an all Ireland medal so for his team’s success.

EICVD wrote: »

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Couldn't care less about it tbh. Probably would have given the nod Howard but I can think of 100 trivial things more worthy of getting annoyed about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So many posters rise to the occasion.....I can never understand it, time and time again.

Clifford is a worthy winner.
    Howard would also have been a worthy winner, but he got less votes.
    It's really that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

I was at the North Kerry SFC at the weekend Ballyduff 2-12 v Tarbert 0-17

Good game of football. The Kerry hurler Mikey Boyle gave Kerry senior Shane Enright an awful run around scoring 0-6 off him, 0-4 from play.

Wonder would Mikey be any use full forward for the county footballers, strong in the air and great finisher. Tho he is about 28 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

conor05 wrote: »
    I was at the North Kerry SFC at the weekend Ballyduff 2-12 v Tarbert 0-17

Good game of football. The Kerry hurler Mikey Boyle gave Kerry senior Shane Enright an awful run around scoring 0-6 off him, 0-4 from play.

Wonder would Mikey be any use full forward for the county footballers, strong in the air and great finisher. Tho he is about 28 at this stage.

Nothing personal against Mikey, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Same As wrote: »

I'd say the same. He plays a bit of soccer for Rattoo also afaik and scores plenty of goals. Add in the fact that Shane Enright is just plain useless and any average player would give him a run around

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

kerry37 wrote: »
    Same As wrote: »

I'd say the same. He plays a bit of soccer for Rattoo also afaik and scores plenty of goals. Add in the fact that Shane Enright is just plain useless and any average player would give him a run around
    To be fair Mikey has been beating county defenders all his life and not just Shane Enright. Saying that Mikey is 31 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Very sad news coming through this Sunday afternoon. Weeshie Fogarty, a Kerry legend both on the field and on the commentary box, with his legendary show "Terrace talk" on Radio Kerry, has sadly passed away. From being a referee, a player and his passion for his job with Radio Kerry, he was Mr. Kerry GAA in many people's eyes. May he forever rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Very sad news coming through this Sunday afternoon. Weeshie Fogarty, a Kerry legend both on the field and on the commentary box, with his legendary show "Terrace talk" on Radio Kerry, has sadly passed away. From being a referee, a player and his passion for his job with Radio Kerry, he was Mr. Kerry GAA in many people's eyes. May he forever rest in peace.

Was it sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

What a brillant man he was , rest in peace weeshie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ah, I loved Weeshie. A delightful character and a real natural on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

RIP Weeshie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Was it sudden?

He had been ill for the last few years, which meant he could no longer present Terrace Talk or the interview series that he also presented on Radio Kerry, but still extremely sad news - ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Have just heard this extremely sad news and feel as upset as if I knew him, though I never had the pleasure to meet him. He was an outstanding broadcaster with his very own natural charm and I always loved listening to him, so much so that I rarely listen to Terrace Talk nowadays. I also associate him with some of the best Kerry football moments of the last decade, many great nights coming down from big matches in the car, listening to a replay of the match and always getting a laugh from Weeshie's inimitable wit.

RIP Weeshie. A true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Very sad today,grew up listening to Liam Higgins and Weeshie commentating on games,great memories of listening to games with my late father and the enjoyment he got from Weeshie's style of co commentary

Brilliant on Terrace talk as well and it hasnt been the same since he stopped doing it

Condolences to his family,friends and all at Radio Kerry

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

While I didn't have a very high opinion of his level of knowledge of modern football and he could get a bit too much sometimes, Weeshie was a very entertaining fella at times too and had a deep love for Kerry and Kerry football in particular. His books on the Casey brothers and even his biography were well worth reading.
    Some of the yarns he came out with are gas aswell. The Bey-anshee thing doesn't get old!
    RIP Weeshie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

While I didn't have a very high opinion of his level of knowledge of modern football and he could get a bit too much sometimes, Weeshie was a very entertaining fella at times too and had a deep love for Kerry and Kerry football in particular. His books on the Casey brothers and even his biography were well worth reading.
    Some of the yarns he came out with are gas aswell. The Bey-anshee thing doesn't get old!
    RIP Weeshie.

If by modern football you mean puke football, as in defensive football,he knew as much as he needed to know.

I think he had a wealth of knowledge of the game and more importantly,the charm, charisma and wit to have listeners hanging on his every word. Way more important in his job than some dry aul fella or nerdy young fella analysing the game to the death. As you said,the entertainment value was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

acequion wrote: »
    If by modern football you mean puke football, as in defensive football,he knew as much as he needed to know.

I think he had a wealth of knowledge of the game and more importantly,the charm, charisma and wit to have listeners hanging on his every word. Way more important in his job than some dry aul fella or nerdy young fella analysing the game to the death. As you said,the entertainment value was priceless.

Yeah that's what I meant of course..:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RIP Weeshie, always great insight. Aside from Beyonce and Davis Love III :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RIP Weeshie.

I don't think Weeshie could be singled out in that regard

You could set your clock by the Terrence Talk presenter and panelists giving out about the modern game and wondering why Kerry just don't "kick high ball into Donaghey"

Weeshie was a great presenter, no matter how much I have grown to enjoy Timmy Monyihan presenting Terrace Talk Weeshie will always be unique

He started his broadcasting career at the age of 55, there is hope for some of us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I knew Weeshie was well respected and liked in Kerry but what I have found most interesting has been the number of national journalists coming out with very positive stories of his character, ability and knowledge.

The comment above about his aversion to modern football does hold some truth but the same can be said of every presenter over the age of 50 and we are all products of generation/upbringing.

As someone who has nearly half their life living outside of Kerry - what always stood out was his outright love for the traditions of Kerry football and you could feel that warmth & affection come through in every piece of commentary that he did.

Weeshie memory special on terrace talk now. There should be some great yarns from over the years

• Advertisement

That was a fantastic couple of hours. Great stories and memories. RIP

Advertisement