Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Spas pitch is a matter of minutes from Legion & Crokes in comparison to Ballymac, & St.Pats outside of Tralee, Ardfert is a stretch by you in fariness.

I'd consider it a town team, so would Spa men and women, the crest has Cill Airne written under it, St.Pats & Ballymac don't have Trá Lí if that's any barometer to go by.

If we want to discuss this anymore I reckon we'll need to get the maps out, get the dividers, protractors and town boundaries out dating back to the early 1900s, otherwise it's just going to circle back on you stating 'not a town team' and me retorting with 'well it is a fúcking town team'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd say there wouldn't be much in the distance from St Pats to the middle of Tralee vs Spa to the middle of Killarney. Spa is probably twice as far from Crokes or Legion as St Pats are from Strand Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

D'Agger wrote: »
    Spas pitch is a matter of minutes from Legion & Crokes in comparison to Ballymac, & St.Pats outside of Tralee, Ardfert is a stretch by you in fariness.

I'd consider it a town team, so would Spa men and women, the crest has Cill Airne written under it, St.Pats & Ballymac don't have Trá Lí if that's any barometer to go by.

If we want to discuss this anymore I reckon we'll need to get the maps out, get the dividers, protractors and town boundaries out dating back to the early 1900s, otherwise it's just going to circle back on you stating 'not a town team' and me retorting with 'well it is a fúcking town team'.

I think we should continue on this route to be honest - they're not a town team!
    Ardfert is a stretch, yes but Pats are practically in Tralee and clubs like Churchill fight fairly hard with KOR and Stacks for players on the periphery of the town.

I dont think the crest has anything to do with it- if you're getting a letter in Churchill then your address is Tralee

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd say there wouldn't be much in the distance from St Pats to the middle of Tralee vs Spa to the middle of Killarney. Spa is probably twice as far from Crokes or Legion as St Pats are from Strand Road.

4mins to 6mins in favour of St.Pats from a quick look on maps
    I think we should continue on this route to be honest - they're not a town team!
    Ardfert is a stretch, yes but Pats are practically in Tralee and clubs like Churchill fight fairly hard with KOR and Stacks for players on the periphery of the town.

I dont think the crest has anything to do with it- if you're getting a letter in Churchill then your address is Tralee

I don't know what can be more definitive of a clubs location or where the club identifies as coming from other than the town name being under the clubs crest TBQH. I'm from Killarney, I played for Spa, I would identify the club as a town team. It's not Glenflesk or Kilcummin, it's Spa, Cill Airne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Spa are a town team. Plain and simple.

Fossa are not a town team. Also plain and simple.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's particularly important anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Spa are a Killarney team lads. Plain and simple. There are 3 teams in Killarney; Dr Crokes, Legion & Spa.

I don't think it's particularly important anyway.
    How DARE you :D

D'Agger wrote: »
    How DARE you :D

This fella from some club in Cork pretending he cares about clubs in Kerry.

The same man abandoned the club in question :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

as I said previously Tralee has 4 while Killarney only has 2.

According to Wikipedia* there's 10,000 more people living in Tralee though...

Same As wrote: »

Disgusting.

Anyway, all I was saying the other day is that maybe if you a clubs B & C teams are restricted to playing B & C team competitions players might get bored and look to join other clubs to get proper games, ironically what Shane Murphy did to join Crokes.

If Crokes can have teams in all divisions of the County League that's less likely to happen.

Not saying I go along with that line of thinking, just something that occurred to me.

Just letting the free market sort out how big and dominant clubs get is an alternative, it's up to GAA people ourselves to talk about and think about whether that's the route we want to take ultimately.

Don't be hurting the special place in my heard designated for Spa plz

Lies from a Legion man, what next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Did i hear right that Milltown and Mitchell's are entering B teams in Div 5 next year? How many B teams are in the senior league now? Must be 5/6 at this stage.

What do people think about it? I for one can never understand it. Surely a division of the top B teams Stacks, Crokes etc would be better than playing teams who at times are struggling to even feild one team

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dollar bill

cms88 wrote: »
    Did i hear right that Milltown and Mitchell's are entering B teams in Div 5 next year? How many B teams are in the senior league now? Must be 5/6 at this stage.

What do people think about it? I for one can never understand it. Surely a division of the top B teams Stacks, Crokes etc would be better than playing teams who at times are struggling to even feild one team

Absolutely be a great idea in Donegal for instance they always play "B" games before County League games be it 13 or 15 a side and then the B players stay togged for the senior team.

Always felt it would be a great system to keep guys interested

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Tommy Walsh back in the panel. He was fantastic throughout the county championship so hopefully he gets a new lease of life this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Milltown are in division 3 next year, They hardly have that big a pick do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Paul O’Shea is very likely to receive an offer from the AFL by all accounts, after he impressed at the AFL Europe trials in Dublin over the weekend.

Obviously he is a while away from senior but he looks a serious prospect at midfield and would be missed in the coming years if he decides to go out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Paul O’Shea is very likely to receive an offer from the AFL by all accounts, after he impressed at the AFL Europe trials in Dublin over the weekend.

Obviously he is a while away from senior but he looks a serious prospect at midfield and would be missed in the coming years if he decides to go out there.

Would be a huge loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Absolutely be a great idea in Donegal for instance they always play "B" games before County League games be it 13 or 15 a side and then the B players stay togged for the senior team.

Always felt it would be a great system to keep guys interested

The system in Donegal is a couple of years away from collapsing so it's not a great example. It's getting harder and harder for teams to fulfill 'reserve' team fixtures and akin to Sunday league type of games in the UK with people turning up last minute having not trained / played in some time.

wordpress.com/post/thegaelicgame.wordpress.com/12005

Conor Cox joining up with Roscommon. Should he have been given more of a chance with Kerry? Was a very good Junior player and did well in league games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Nothing loading for me there. Does he live in Roscommon or something? He kind of fell off the radar a bit alright

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nothing loading for me there. Does he live in Roscommon or something? He kind of fell off the radar a bit alright

Playing with a club there Eire Óg. Not sure with how long, because i'm sure he was playinh with Listowel this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I mentioned it last week in Roscommon thread. Cox is one of a number of players from outside county Cunningham is looking at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108777122&postcount=3999

With Roscommon losing half a dozen of their starters from last two seasons (due to work commitments/travel/bad injuries) they started looking elsewhere for players to fill those positions.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I mentioned it last week in Roscommon thread. Cox is one of a number of players from outside county Cunningham is looking at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108777122&postcount=3999

With Roscommon losing half a dozen of their starters from last two seasons they started looking elsewhere for players to fill those positions.

Why have they lost guys?

There was talk of Cox moving to one of the Tralee clubs at one stage during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Why have they lost guys?

There was talk of Cox moving to one of the Tralee clubs at one stage during the summer.

Some are travelling to the States like Ciaran Murtagh, Cathal Compton, O'Rourke, some can't commit due to work in Dublin (John McManus) and Diarmurd Murtagh might not play at all in 2019 due to terrible eye injury he picked up in final super 8 game against Dublin. Brian Stack has been told he needs to rest for 6 months. There was talk of Fintan Cregg, Cathal Cregg and Conor Devaney were all retiring (Cathal Cregg is oldest at 31) but they might play in the league at least

Why have they lost guys?

Sounds like every Summer!

• Advertisement

Sounds like every Summer!

Yeah I wouldn't really know, I had the impression there was something to it this year alright. Seems possibly legit since he actually ended up moving.

Advertisement