Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

Cox father is from Roscommon. He could still play for Listowel and play with Roscommon under the parental rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Seems there was no interest at the county board meeting to change the way the captain is selected. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Gael85 wrote: »
    Cox father is from Roscommon. He could still play for Listowel and play with Roscommon under the parental rule.

Don't think so. I think the county can't have won a provincial championship for 10 years before they can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

cms88 wrote: »
    Don't think so. I think the county can't have won a provincial championship for 10 years before they can

Correct, he had to move clubs unfortunately.

I went on about this before here but Cox got a raw deal from Fitzmaurice. In 2013 and 2014 he was one of the best forwards in the county, had proven himself at under 21 and Sigerson level despite having never played Kerry minor. If a bit of faith had been placed in him, he could have blossomed. But this was one of Eamonn's greatest failings. His record of placing faith in the younger players was poor and it cost us when you look back at it.
    In 2014 Conor scored 0-7 and 0-4 in succesive games in the league against Derry and Mayo - then was dumped for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, the likes of Jonathan Lyne, Kieran O'Leary and Mikey Geaney continued to get game time in the Kerry forward line. That was a missed opportunity.

I'm not from his club and I don't know the man before anyone suggests bias, just my opinion. Best of luck to him with Roscommon. Wouldn't begrudge him the chance to play at Senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

cms88 wrote: »

Roscommon had a lad from Dublin playing for them a few years ago under the parental rule and they weren't 10 years without a provincial title at the time.

• Advertisement

Roscommon had a lad from Dublin playing for them a few years ago under the parental rule and they weren't 10 years without a provincial title at the time.

Meath had a Dublin lad on their panel last year and still played with home club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Gael85 wrote: »
    Meath had a Dublin lad on their panel last year and still played with home club.

AFAIK you can transfer your county status and still play with your home club, but it's a differtrnt thing to the parental rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That was Donal Keane but not sure he played senior football for them just under 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

rossie1977 wrote: »
    That was Donal Keane but not sure he played senior football for them just under 21.

From what i recall he played senior football for Roscommon when John Evans was manager.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Donal Keane played senior for Roscommon in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Correct, he had to move clubs unfortunately.

I went on about this before here but Cox got a raw deal from Fitzmaurice. In 2013 and 2014 he was one of the best forwards in the county, had proven himself at under 21 and Sigerson level despite having never played Kerry minor. If a bit of faith had been placed in him, he could have blossomed. But this was one of Eamonn's greatest failings. His record of placing faith in the younger players was poor and it cost us when you look back at it.
    In 2014 Conor scored 0-7 and 0-4 in succesive games in the league against Derry and Mayo - then was dumped for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, the likes of Jonathan Lyne, Kieran O'Leary and Mikey Geaney continued to get game time in the Kerry forward line. That was a missed opportunity.

I'm not from his club and I don't know the man before anyone suggests bias, just my opinion. Best of luck to him with Roscommon. Wouldn't begrudge him the chance to play at Senior level.

Darragh O'Sé would say otherwise re him proving himself in his time with U21's. One of his IT articles all but named him as doing the opposite of what he was instructed to do when losing a MF (to Cork I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't think Darragh is in much position to be throwing shade about his time in charge of the U21s.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think Darragh is in much position to be throwing shade about his time in charge of the U21s.

Maybe not but he still lambasted a player in national media which wasn't too hard to figure out who it was. He may not have had a successful managerial career but his playing legacy still carries enough weight to give him significant influence in addition to his national media profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Maybe not but he still lambasted a player in national media which wasn't too hard to figure out who it was. He may not have had a successful managerial career but his playing legacy still carries enough weight to give him significant influence in addition to his national media profile.

Influence to do what? Get people to change what they think of a guy he was in charge of at U21?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Influence to do what? Get people to change what they think of a guy he was in charge of at U21?

Cox reached his standard at Junior level. Darragh O'Sé's comments wouldn't have helped him and disregarding an u21 coaches instructions wouldn't endear him to a senior manager.

Darragh O'Sé would say otherwise re him proving himself in his time with U21's. One of his IT articles all but named him as doing the opposite of what he was instructed to do when losing a MF (to Cork I think).

Darragh was a great player, no debate about that.

He was a disaster as u21 manager though and despite having plenty of talent available, his era was marked with poor preparation, poor tactics, poor selection and defeat to Cork 3 years in a row.

I don't know how you can place such "weight" on his opinion on Cox either seeing as how he was his manager for the sum total of 1 game at u21 level, the 2013 game with Cork in which my memory is of Cox playing fairly well in a very toothless Kerry forward line that failed to score from play for 40 minutes or so. He scored 5 points, 3 from play aswell. In my view Darragh was doing his best to deflect from his shocking performance as u21 manager and would never admit he may not have been up to the job himself of course.

Your opinion stated in another post then is that Cox "found his level" at Junior. I disagree, but there's very little point debating it at this point.

Darragh was a great player, no debate about that.

He was a disaster as u21 manager though and despite having plenty of talent available, his era was marked with poor preparation, poor tactics, poor selection and defeat to Cork 3 years in a row.

I don't know how you can place such "weight" on his opinion on Cox either seeing as how he was his manager for the sum total of 1 game at u21 level, the 2013 game with Cork in which my memory is of Cox playing fairly well in a very toothless Kerry forward line that failed to score from play for 40 minutes or so. He scored 5 points, 3 from play aswell. In my view Darragh was doing his best to deflect from his shocking performance as u21 manager and would never admit he may not have been up to the job himself of course.

Your opinion stated in another post then is that Cox "found his level" at Junior. I disagree, but there's very little point debating it at this point.

Cox hasn't the pace for inter county. We'll see how he gets on in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Neither did Bryan Sheehan for the last 5-6 years but he was kept on the Kerry panel and on the subs bench. Our biggest failure in Kerry is we are constantly thinking and looking at present for players to have a 10+ year career. This was not the way Kerry usually operated traditionally. Up until the late noughties we turned over 20-30% of the taem every 3-5 years and another 20-30% every 7-8 years.But from the late noughties we kept players well past there sell by date.

in taht time as well we stopped producing the 20-30 minute young player. These are lads that come on for the last 20 minutes and change the pace of a game and the way you attack. Dublin brough and is bringing in new players every year it is only in the last 12 months we started to do taht. There seemed to be an inertia about younger players and a kind of attidude taht they had to prove themselves on the training ground but they were never introduced into the League and early championship games. Or if they were when a couple of older players got a bit fitter they were dropped from team and panel.

Was Cox good enough it is hard to tell because a lot of players like him never got the chance to prove themselves.

Slava Ukrainii

Neither did Bryan Sheehan for the last 5-6 years but he was kept on the Kerry panel and on the subs bench. Our biggest failure in Kerry is we are constantly thinking and looking at present for players to have a 10+ year career. This was not the way Kerry usually operated traditionally. Up until the late noughties we turned over 20-30% of the taem every 3-5 years and another 20-30% every 7-8 years.But from the late noughties we kept players well past there sell by date.

in taht time as well we stopped producing the 20-30 minute young player. These are lads that come on for the last 20 minutes and change the pace of a game and the way you attack. Dublin brough and is bringing in new players every year it is only in the last 12 months we started to do taht. There seemed to be an inertia about younger players and a kind of attidude taht they had to prove themselves on the training ground but they were never introduced into the League and early championship games. Or if they were when a couple of older players got a bit fitter they were dropped from team and panel.

Was Cox good enough it is hard to tell because a lot of players like him never got the chance to prove themselves.

Dublin focus on speed, athleticism and strength. It's no coincidence that we've been losing to them in the last 10 minutes of games. I agree that young players need to be given a chance. Dublin's constant evolvement of their team has been one of their most impressive abilities.

Based on what I saw of him at U21, Sigerson and Junior level, he has plenty pace and agility.
    I love how you throw out your opinion but never mention, you know..actual performances in games. Darragh says he gave him a bit of lip so he must be useless..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Plenty of county footballers get by with a lack of pace because their spend of mind is good. Cox has Div 1 football first and will have to perform well there before getting the chance to play in the Connacht championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

I played against Cox at club level and thought he was excellent, a bit greedy at times but very talented. Never struck me as lacking pace either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Anyone got a link to the championship fixtures this year, including the Super 8 rounds and pre-determined allocations into each of the 2 pools/groups? This info for 2018 was available at this stage last year I believe...? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mystic86 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the championship fixtures this year, including the Super 8 rounds and pre-determined allocations into each of the 2 pools/groups? This info for 2018 was available at this stage last year I believe...? Thanks

The All Ireland Series fixtures are in the Master Fixture list

Provincial winners are at home for Phase 1, Phase 2 is in CP and Phase 3 is at home of qualifiers

Group 1
    Team 1: Munster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Ulster Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Connacht Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Leinster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 2
    Team 1: Leinster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Connacht Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Munster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Ulster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 1 & 2 Fixtures
    13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 1
    Team 1 v Team 3
    Team 2 v Team 4
    20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 2
    Team 1 v Team 2
    Team 3 v Team 4
    03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 3
    Team 3 v Team 2
    Team 4 v Team 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The All Ireland Series fixtures are in the Master Fixture list

Provincial winners are at home for Phase 1, Phase 2 is in CP and Phase 3 is at home of qualifiers

Group 1
    Team 1: Munster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Ulster Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Connacht Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Leinster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 2
    Team 1: Leinster Provincial Winner
    Team 2: Connacht Provincial Winner
    Team 3: Munster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4
    Team 4: Ulster Runner-Up or team that
    defeats them in Round 4

Group 1 & 2 Fixtures
    13-14.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 1
    Team 1 v Team 3
    Team 2 v Team 4
    20-21.07.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 2
    Team 1 v Team 2
    Team 3 v Team 4
    03-04.08.2019 (Sat/Sun)
    Phase 3
    Team 3 v Team 2
    Team 4 v Team 1

Thanks. Kerry likely to be in the tougher group again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Victory in the double for Beaufort and Kilcummin today, but both pushed all the way, winning by one and two points respectively. Now up to Crokes to complete the treble against Mullinlaghta!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Meanwhile, local controversy about Division Five of the league, with almost a dozen clubs planning to enter B teams - time for a reserve division?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

First round of the NFL next weekend.

Peter Keane released his extended panel of 40 last week:

Goalkeepers:
    Shane Murphy (Dr Crokes), Brian Kelly (Legion), Shane Ryan (Rathmore);

Backs:

Mark Griffin (St Michael’s Foilmore), Jason Foley (Ballydonoghue), Shane Enright (Tarbert), Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers), Graham Sullivan (Dromid), Jack Sherwood (Firies), Gavin Crowley (Templenoe), Tom O’Sullivan (Dingle), Tom ‘Leo’ O’Sullivan (Dingle), Briain O Beaglaoich (Gaeltacht), Paul Murphy (Rathmore), Killian Young (Renard), Tadhg Morley (Templenoe), Gavin White (Dr Crokes), Michael Potts (Dr Crokes), Rob Wharton (Renard);

Midfielders:
    Jack Barry (Na Gaeil) ???, David Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s), Diarmuid O’Connor (Na Gaeil), Mark Ryan (Rathmore);

Forwards
    Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare), Sean O’Shea (Kenmare), Kevin McCarthy (Kilcummin), Gavin O’Brien (Kerins O’Rahillys), Killian Spillane (Templenoe), Adrian Spillane (Templenoe), Jonathan Lyne (Legion), David Clifford (Fossa), Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys), Tomás Ó Sé (Gaeltacht), Conor Geaney (Dingle), Paul Geaney (Dingle), James O’Donoghue (Legion), Dara Moynihan (Spa), Mikey Geaney(Dingle), Michael Burns (Dr Crokes), David Shaw (Dr Crokes).

Players with strike-through are those who are either unavailable or injured for next weekend's opener. Unsure as to whether Jack Barry is injured or not. Tony Brosnan notably on the missing list despite his excellent showing in County Championship. Don't think Crokes being in All Ireland Semi explains his omission either so obviously more to that which hasn't been said.

Based on the above, the team I'd like to see line out vs Tyrone next Sunday

Shane Ryan

Killian Young Jack Sherwood Tom Sullivan

Tadhg Morley Gavin Crowley Paul Murphy

Diarmuid O Connor & Jack Barry (if available)

Gavin O Brien Sean O Shea Stephen O Brien

James O Donoghue Tommy Walsh Paul Geaney

Will be a tough ask for our lads next weekend with little game time with some of the new rules but excited to see how we fair and what the new management have to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Same As wrote: »

Goalkeepers:

Backs:

Mark Griffin (St Michael’s Foilmore), Jason Foley (Ballydonoghue), Shane Enright (Tarbert), Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers), Graham Sullivan (Dromid), Jack Sherwood (Firies), Gavin Crowley (Templenoe), Tom O’Sullivan (Dingle), Tom ‘Leo’ O’Sullivan (Dingle), Briain O Beaglaoich (Gaeltacht), Paul Murphy (Rathmore), Killian Young (Renard), Tadhg Morley (Templenoe), Gavin White (Dr Crokes), Michael Potts (Dr Crokes), Rob Wharton (Renard);

Midfielders:
    Jack Barry (Na Gaeil) ???, David Moran (Kerins O’Rahilly’s), Diarmuid O’Connor (Na Gaeil), Mark Ryan (Rathmore);

Forwards
    Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare), Sean O’Shea (Kenmare), Kevin McCarthy (Kilcummin), Gavin O’Brien (Kerins O’Rahillys), Killian Spillane (Templenoe), Adrian Spillane (Templenoe), Jonathan Lyne (Legion), David Clifford (Fossa), Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys), TomSGaeltacht), Conor Geaney (Dingle), Paul Geaney (Dingle), James O’Donoghue (Legion), Dara Moynihan (Spa), Mikey Geaney(Dingle), Michael Burns (Dr Crokes), David Shaw (Dr Crokes).

Players with strike-through are those who are either unavailable or injured for next weekend's opener. Unsure as to whether Jack Barry is injured or not. Tony Brosnan notably on the missing list despite his excellent showing in County Championship. Don't think Crokes being in All Ireland Semi explains his omission either so obviously more to that which hasn't been said.

Shane Ryan

Will be a tough ask for our lads next weekend with little game time with some of the new rules but excited to see how we fair and what the new management have to offer.

I know they have not competed in the McGrath cup for a few years now but I think being part of it would have helped this team this year

It's a new manager, a lot of new players, and as you said some new rules, so what harm would there have been in having a few games under their belt before the NFL

• Advertisement

Same As wrote: »

Goalkeepers:

Backs:

Midfielders:

Forwards
    Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare), Sean O’Shea (Kenmare), Kevin McCarthy (Kilcummin), Gavin O’Brien (Kerins O’Rahillys), Killian Spillane (Templenoe), Adrian Spillane (Templenoe), Jonathan Lyne (Legion), David Clifford (Fossa), Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys), Tomás Ó Sé (Gaeltacht), Conor Geaney (Dingle), Paul Geaney (Dingle), James O’Donoghue (Legion), Dara Moynihan (Spa), Mikey Geaney(Dingle), Michael Burns (Dr Crokes), David Shaw (Dr Crokes).

Shane Ryan

Jack Sherwood full back? Jesus wept..

I think this league campaign may be a tough one based on what I'm hearing and the Crokes players plus a few notable other injuries are absent of course. The above defence and midfield would be in serious bother against the top teams.

Also, without going into too much of panel, if Tony Brosnan isn't included it's a bit of a joke.

Advertisement