Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Jack Sherwood full back? Jesus wept..

I think this league campaign may be a tough one based on what I'm hearing and the Crokes players plus a few notable other injuries are absent of course. The above defence and midfield would be in serious bother against the top teams.

Also, without going into too much of panel, if Tony Brosnan isn't included it's a bit of a joke.

Sherwood was at FB for a recent challenge vs ITT to the best of my knowledge. He acquitted himself well in county championship a little further out the field which is pretty much the only barometer the new management had to go on to gauge recent form. Presumably has been placed there for some sort of effort against the offensive mark as he has height and strength; something most of our available backs are short of, particularly the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's going to be a long year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Same As wrote: »
    Sherwood was at FB for a recent challenge vs ITT to the best of my knowledge. He acquitted himself well in county championship a little further out the field which is pretty much the only barometer the new management had to go on to gauge recent form. Presumably has been placed there for some sort of effort against the offensive mark as he has height and strength; something most of our available backs are short of, particularly the former.

IMO to counter the offensive mark you will need to be able to mark man to man. I think any team looking to take offensive marks will try to have forwards running into scoring positions so the ability of the back to cover ground will be very important.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Excellent news for Kerry hurling - Parnells have been approved to launch a full adult team, starting out in Division Two and intermediate, but obviously the long -term aim is to go senior, and certainly the results of the minors and u-21s in recent years would justify the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Kerry lost to Laois in challenge game at the weekend. This apparently was the team that started.

Shane Ryan
    Peter Crowley Jack Sherwood Killian Young
    Brian Begley Paul Murphy Tom O'Sullivan
    Jack Barry Adrian Spillane
    Diarmuid O'Connor Sean O'Shea Gavin O'Brien
    Thomas O'se Paul Geaney Stephen O'Brien

Shane Enright,Tadgh Morley,Jonathan Lyne,Killian Spillane,Tommy Walsh,James O'Donoghue came on as subs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Kerry lost to Laois

Jaysus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Excellent news for Kerry hurling - Parnells have been approved to launch a full adult team, starting out in Division Two and intermediate, but obviously the long -term aim is to go senior, and certainly the results of the minors and u-21s in recent years would justify the decision.

Ya its a great move,I hope they continue to progress,they have some talented young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Same As wrote: »

We've been there and done that with Jack Sherwood. He's not an Inter county defender and he's certainly not a full back, so this sounds fairly crazy to me. He's 28 this year and has had a lot of chances in the Fitzmaurice era. In fairness he was only ever a converted defender, having been a midfielder and forward at underage and club level.

I'd much rather we tried to develop 20-24 year old defenders who have more potential but may be lacking physicality or experience. I was delighted with the management team appointed but some of the early calls made aren't filling me with joy. I hope it's mere experimentation and the Crokes players, including Johnny Buckley who we need, returning in March or before, will lead to a much stronger squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

We've been there and done that with Jack Sherwood. He's not an Inter county defender and he's certainly not a full back, so this sounds fairly crazy to me. He's 28 this year and has had a lot of chances in the Fitzmaurice era. In fairness he was only ever a converted defender, having been a midfielder and forward at underage and club level.

I'd much rather we tried to develop 20-24 year old defenders who have more potential but may be lacking physicality or experience. I was delighted with the management team appointed but some of the early calls made aren't filling me with joy. I hope it's mere experimentation and the Crokes players, including Johnny Buckley who we need, returning in March or before, will lead to a much stronger squad.

I wouldn't say he lot plenty of chances under Fitzmaurice. He only played maybe two championship games, one when he was thrown in at the deep end. Don't think he played a whole lot of league games either, when he did he plyed quite well from what i remember.

For example imo Johnny Buckley is someone who has had plenty of chances without much end product. He's also 30 this year. Although going by your other posts you seem to be a Crokes man so that explains that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

'ciarraithuaidh' is hardly a username for a Crokes man.

• Advertisement

Just have to get the senior county management to realise there's players outside of North Kerry now and things will be on the right track

cms88 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he lot plenty of chances under Fitzmaurice. He only played maybe two championship games, one when he was thrown in at the deep end. Don't think he played a whole lot of league games either, when he did he plyed quite well from what i remember.

For example imo Johnny Buckley is someone who has had plenty of chances without much end product. He's also 30 this year. Although going by your other posts you seem to be a Crokes man so that explains that

You're right, in that he was thrown in at the deep end in 2013 semi final. A crazy decision by Fitzmaurice. I suppose I meant he got plenty viewing in league games, with Juniors etc and (to me) didn't show the quality needed to step up a level.

I'm not from Crokes. Clearly not a gaeilgeoir!

I'm not saying Johnny Buckley is a certain starter or anything. I'm just looking at our current midfield options and I think he is better than most of them. He would certainly improve the quality of training and internal games at the very least. He's not the flashiest or best player we've ever had, but he's mobile, versatile and his attitude is spot on.
    Just 2 examples spring to mind on Johnny Buckley. 2014 AI final he was very good and his point in the last 10 mins into the hill was of the highest quality in the circumstances.
    2015 semi final v Tyrone was probably his best performance in a Kerry jersey. 3 points from play, put in a serious amount of tackles and got on a load of ball.

Yes, he's 30 this year, but if he was available for next year or 2 it would be a huge help I think. His form for Crokes over next while will be interesting to monitor.

I cannot understand why you would have Sherwood and Enright on the panel over Ronan Shanahan TBH

Slava Ukrainii

I cannot understand why you would have Sherwood and Enright on the panel over Ronan Shanahan TBH

I cannot understand the fascination some have with Ronan Shanahan when he has been exposed badly at club championship level a few times.
    Enright is an allstar winning defender. Granted, had a poor year last year but is still an important player if fit and in form.

I cannot understand the fascination some have with Ronan Shanahan when he has been exposed badly at club championship level a few times.
    Enright is an allstar winning defender. Granted, had a poor year last year but is still an important player if fit and in form.

Shanahan was fairly good last year at intercounty level. Some players are often better at county than club. As well if you are the fastest defender your club has you will be marking marquee forwards from other team. Slower defenders will often play in Central positions and are at less risk of exposure. Shane Enright was exposed by Andy Moran and made Moran an all star and player of the year in 2017

Slava Ukrainii

Shanahan was fairly good last year at intercounty level. Some players are often better at county than club. As well if you are the fastest defender your club has you will be marking marquee forwards from other team. Slower defenders will often play in Central positions and are at less risk of exposure. Shane Enright was exposed by Andy Moran and made Moran an all star and player of the year in 2017

Andy Moran also cleaned out Philly McMahon but I doubt Dublin will dump him off the panel for 2019!
    Shanahan was marking Thomas Hickey in a Stacks v Kierans game last year in County championship and was destroyed. Thomas Hickey is a small, but quick forward who is Kerry Junior level probably. If Shanahan can't mark lighter, lesser forwards at that level, what business has he going up against top inter-county forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Surely you are not forming your opinion on the back of one county championship game? Ive seen plenty of hopeless displays by county stars at club level, didnt affect their performances in the green and gold though

Did Enright even play last year?

I agree with this. Johnny arguably the best club midfielder in Kerry. Short a yard for inter-county, but like you said in another post, incredible attitude, work ethic and skillset. Would love to see him back involved.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Surely you are not forming your opinion on the back of one county championship game? Ive seen plenty of hopeless displays by county stars at club level, didnt affect their performances in the green and gold though

No, I'm not. I've seen Ronan Shanahan play dozens of times over recent years with Stacks, with GMIT in Sigerson and with Kerry. He's not a bad footballer - grand on the ball, pacey enough..but nowhere near a good enough defender in my view. It seems to be something of a systemic problem in recent years for us. Too many "corner backs" like Fionn Fitz, Shanahan and Brian Begley who are decent players but not strong enough defensively at all. Disciplined, tough defenders are an essential part of any successful team. We need a few of these to be developed.

If Kerry squad I'm hearing for Sunday is correct, there are 2 lads on bench who fit the bill for me, Graham O'Sullivan and Gavin Crowley. The starting 6 backs though don't fill me with confidence at all. The forward line has 2 glaring selections that I don't like and we are weak in middle too it looks like.

• Advertisement

No, I'm not. I've seen Ronan Shanahan play dozens of times over recent years with Stacks, with GMIT in Sigerson and with Kerry. He's not a bad footballer - grand on the ball, pacey enough..but nowhere near a good enough defender in my view. It seems to be something of a systemic problem in recent years for us. Too many "corner backs" like Fionn Fitz, Shanahan and Brian Begley who are decent players but not strong enough defensively at all. Disciplined, tough defenders are an essential part of any successful team. We need a few of these to be developed.

If Kerry squad I'm hearing for Sunday is correct, there are 2 lads on bench who fit the bill for me, Graham O'Sullivan and Gavin Crowley. The starting 6 backs though don't fill me with confidence at all. The forward line has 2 glaring selections that I don't like and we are weak in middle too it looks like.

You mustn't have been looking very closely, seeing as he was playing with DIT not GMIT

You mustn't have been looking very closely, seeing as he was playing with DIT not GMIT

He played with GMIT in 2013 and 2014 - get your facts straight before trying to be a smartass with me..

https://www.the42.ie/sigerson-cup-cit-783777-Feb2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

I think Gavin Crowley is potentially a fantastic player for Kerry, did he get injured towards the end of the league last year? Didn’t play as much as I thought he would. Hopefully can remain injury free this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry team named.

1. Shane Ryan
    2. Peter Crowley
    3. Jack Sherwood
    4. Brian O'Beaglaoich
    5. Tadhg Morley
    6. Paul Murphy
    7. Tom O'Sullivan
    8. Jack Barry
    9. Adrian Spillane
    10. Jonathan Lyne
    11. Sean O'Shea
    12. Stephen O'Brien
    13. Mikey ****ing Geaney
    14. Paul Geaney
    15. James O'Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry team named.

1. Shane Ryan
    2. Peter Crowley
    3. Jack Sherwood
    4. Brian O'Beaglaoich
    5. Tadhg Morley
    6. Paul Murphy
    7. Tom O'Sullivan
    8. Jack Barry
    9. Adrian Spillane
    10. Jonathan Lyne
    11. Sean O'Shea
    12. Stephen O'Brien
    13. Mikey ****ing Geaney
    14. Paul Geaney
    15. James O'Donoghue

Would I be right in saying there is not a single debutant, league or championship in the line up.

There is certainly an argument to be made that an experienced teams is better when targeting a home game against tough opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Would I be right in saying there is not a single debutant, league or championship in the line up.

There is certainly an argument to be made that an experienced teams is better when targeting a home game against tough opposition.
    I'm 99% sure that the Goalkeeper Shane Ryan is a debutant at Senior Level, but other than that no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure that the Goalkeeper Shane Ryan is a debutant at Senior Level, but other than that no.

And could become one of the most important of the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

munster87 wrote: »
    I think Gavin Crowley is potentially a fantastic player for Kerry, did he get injured towards the end of the league last year? Didn’t play as much as I thought he would. Hopefully can remain injury free this year.

Very impressive league final against Dublin in 2017 and done well against Mayo last year in league. Thought he stood well to Aidan O'Shea that night. Did he put up a injury in a Sigerson game that ruled him of league games last year?

Gael85 wrote: »
    Very impressive league final against Dublin in 2017 and done well against Mayo last year in league. Thought he stood well to Aidan O'Shea that night. Did he put up a injury in a Sigerson game that ruled him of league games last year?

Yep, pretty sure it was vs DIT in Tralee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

munster87 wrote: »
    And could become one of the most important of the last few years

A better keeper than Shane Murphy. Did he want to play out field for Kerry last year? I see he plays full forward for Rathmore.

Advertisement