Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Am I right in saying our backline is fairly small? If you're Tyrone you'd be putting a big man at 14 and bombing in ball

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Gael85 wrote: »
    munster87 wrote: »
    I think Gavin Crowley is potentially a fantastic player for Kerry, did he get injured towards the end of the league last year? Didn’t play as much as I thought he would. Hopefully can remain injury free this year.

Very impressive league final against Dublin in 2017 and done well against Mayo last year in league. Thought he stood well to Aidan O'Shea that night. Did he put up a injury in a Sigerson game that ruled him of league games last year?

I taught he was excellent in the 2017 league final. Came on to mark Dermot Connolly and by playing football and showing him no respect got inside DC head. But after that was disregarded by MF. May have been injured early last summer but much more emphasis was put on getting older players back than him.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

A better keeper than Shane Murphy. Did he want to play out field for Kerry last year? I see he plays full forward for Rathmore.

Was it that Fitzmaurice wanted him playing in goal for Rathmore if he was to pick him as keeper for the county but he wanted to play outfield for Rathmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

D'Agger wrote: »
    Am I right in saying our backline is fairly small? If you're Tyrone you'd be putting a big man at 14 and bombing in ball

Small enough yeah. Morley and Sherwood maybe touching 6 foot..the rest wouldn't be I don't think. It's the positioning of them I'd be more concerned with. Morley at 6, Murphy on the wing one would assume would make sense..or Peter Crowley to 6. He's not related to a corner back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

I taught he was excellent in the 2017 league final. Came on to mark Dermot Connolly and by playing football and showing him no respect got inside DC head. But after that was disregarded by MF. May have been injured early last summer but much more emphasis was put on getting older players back than him.

I'd say Connolly was wound up from the smack he got from Jonathan Lynne a couple minutes earlier. Crowley was only marking Connolly for 3 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Gael85

munster87 wrote: »
    Was it that Fitzmaurice wanted him playing in goal for Rathmore if he was to pick him as keeper for the county but he wanted to play outfield for Rathmore?

Inter county players rarely play with clubs nowdays. Would have been no harm playing outfield for club when be playing plenty AvB games in training for county. Cluxton usually plays centre back for Parnells.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

No, I'm not. I've seen Ronan Shanahan play dozens of times over recent years with Stacks, with GMIT in Sigerson and with Kerry. He's not a bad footballer - grand on the ball, pacey enough..but nowhere near a good enough defender in my view. It seems to be something of a systemic problem in recent years for us. Too many "corner backs" like Fionn Fitz, Shanahan and Brian Begley who are decent players but not strong enough defensively at all. Disciplined, tough defenders are an essential part of any successful team. We need a few of these to be developed.

If Kerry squad I'm hearing for Sunday is correct, there are 2 lads on bench who fit the bill for me, Graham O'Sullivan and Gavin Crowley. The starting 6 backs though don't fill me with confidence at all. The forward line has 2 glaring selections that I don't like and we are weak in middle too it looks like.

I think Fionn, Begley and Shanahan are all natural half backs shoehorned in to the corner back spot and they have all struggled a bit at times. I think Shanahan might deserve a spot in the extended panel but he is definitely not a starter.

We don’t have natural, disciplined, sticky corner backs at the moment unfortunately. We also don’t have enough athletic and workmanlike midfielders or half forwards. We should see players coming through in these positions in the coming years but For now we are seriously lacking physicality in certain positions and that is why you have players like Lyne and Mikey Geaney coming back in.

I’d be surprised if we make any sort of meaningful impact in the championship this year tbh. We have lethal full forwards but I can’t see them getting enough of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Inter county players rarely play with clubs nowdays. Would have been no harm playing outfield for club when be playing plenty AvB games in training for county. Cluxton usually plays centre back for Parnells.

Yeah I’d say it’s no harm myself but did Fitzmaurice have a problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'd say Connolly was wound up from the smack he got from Jonathan Lynne a couple minutes earlier. Crowley was only marking Connolly for 3 minutes.

I remember watching the game and Gavin Crowley came onto the field. He jogged over to Connolly who had braced himself for a shoulder like you see a lot of backing coming onto the field do. You could see the surprise of Connolly face when Crowley shoulder just barely touched his. Crowley did something after than after than which wound Connolly up further and he reacted and had to take an early shower.

IMO it was Crowley not showing respect to Connolly that got to him

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Very impressive start by the hurlers in Antrim, even if against 14 men - would be a huge step towards making the League final:

http://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1089166145423237122

A bit of a mid-half wobble, but Kerry appear to have steadied the ship:

http://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1089168546356183040

Tightening up now, midway through the second half:

http://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1089178430950834178

Could well prove a critical win, even if Kerry were clinging on by the end!

http://twitter.com/AontroimGAA/status/1089184328830074880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

Good win for the hurlers. One of the toughest games they'll have.

I'm another note re coverage. No coverage on counrty boards social media sites apart from re twittering the Antrim account. Begging the question, had they not been able to do that would they have had any?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

cms88 wrote: »
    Good win for the hurlers. One of the toughest games they'll have.

I'm another note re coverage. No coverage on counrty boards social media sites apart from re twittering the Antrim account. Begging the question, had they not been able to do that would they have had any?

I think the biggest pity is the the rest of the country wont see how good Shane Conway is.

Be no highlights or anything of the games in Division 2 and the Joe Mcdonagh Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Is the Kerry game on TV today?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

mystic86 wrote: »

Not on TG4 anyway, its Dublin v Monaghan. With some deferred coverage of a hurling match.

I dont have BT or Eir etc so dont know if they're showing it. Doubtful

No, will have to wait for League Sunday tonight. Both sides appear to have adopted the Ulster style, going by the first quarter hour.

Dara Moynihan playing a blinder, could be this year's Seán Ó Sé.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Dara Moynihan playing a blinder, could be this year's Seán Ó Sé.

Who did he start instead of?

Who did he start instead of?

James O'Donoghue, Diarmaid O'Connor came in for Mikey Geaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

a good start, fair play to the young lads no real panic at all in um. 2 pts on the board takes a bit of pressure off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Oh lads I hope that League Sunday recorded the match.

Watch Sean O'Shea's sideline to go 3 points up.

Maurice Fitz-esque. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Today was the kind of match I've grown used to us losing. Well done to the lads, nice start to the campaign.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Oh lads I hope that League Sunday recorded the match.

Watch Sean O'Shea's sideline to go 3 points up.

Maurice Fitz-esque. Unreal.

they didn't even mention it, instead brolly took off about blanket defences again instead of analysing the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    they didn't even mention it, instead brolly took off about blanket defences again instead of analysing the game.

It was shown, superb point.

It was shown, superb point.

shown but not mentioned in the analysis. not much about the game was mentioned really with brolly taking off and Cantwell trying to reign him in.

Was impressed with the defending on Sunday,we were patient when Tyrone had the ball and then when Tyrone did make a mistake the lads were quick to get on it turnover possession and get forward

I though we should have won by more,Stephen O Brien should have finished that chance in the first half and Tom O Sullivan picked the wrong option a few times in the second half but good start 2 points on board

Cavan will be tough next Sunday

• Advertisement

Advertisement