Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id love to have a look at that video or whatever but I despise joe.ie and all their clickbait sh1te, can't bring myself to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Conway.gif

SHaneo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Conway is getting quite the name for himself. A lovely hurler. He'd walk on to the teams of the big hurling counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Aside from giving Dara Moynihan a rest, essentially the same team for Breffni Park:

http://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1091435962272567296

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Aside from giving Dara Moynihan a rest, essentially the same team for Breffni Park:

http://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1091435962272567296

Sorry, I'm slow, why does he need a rest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

mystic86 wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm slow, why does he need a rest?

Travelled to Belfast during the week and played Sigerson with I.T Tralee, so wise call to not start him. Gavin Crowley picked up a bad enough injury in that game and is out for a while too. James O'Donoghue also picked up another injury in training and may be gone for a few weeks. Some amount of injuries for him last 3 years. :rolleyes:

Looks like another tight, dogged affair Sunday I would think. 2 wins from 2 would be a great start to lead into the Dublin game which should be feisty.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

SeaFields wrote: »
    Conway is getting quite the name for himself. A lovely hurler. He'd walk on to the teams of the big hurling counties.

His own teammate in UCC Shane Kingston (Cork Senior), said Conway is one of the most gifted hurlers he has ever played with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

conor05 wrote: »
    His own teammate in UCC Shane Kingston (Cork Senior), said Conway is one of the most gifted hurlers he has ever played with

I'm from Cork and living in Kerry. Whenever hurling comes into conversation with my Cork friends his name comes up. I know a few lads followed the Kerry senior club championship just to see how he was getting on.

Shane Conway is the best hurler I have seen down here, I thought Shane Brick was class but Conway is ahead of Brick, I just think Conway's skill level is ahead of Brick's at his prime

Hopefully he is on form again tomorrow against Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

This year muct have been a record for Kerry players playing Fitzgibbon. Shane Conway with UCC, Jordon Conway with LIT, Jack Goluding is with UL, Brandon Barrett was playing with WIT. and Billy Lyons from Causeway on CIT panel.

• Advertisement

Travelled to Belfast during the week and played Sigerson with I.T Tralee, so wise call to not start him. Gavin Crowley picked up a bad enough injury in that game and is out for a while too. James O'Donoghue also picked up another injury in training and may be gone for a few weeks. Some amount of injuries for him last 3 years. :rolleyes:

Looks like another tight, dogged affair Sunday I would think. 2 wins from 2 would be a great start to lead into the Dublin game which should be feisty.

Just my view but is it time the management cut theirs losses with him? Since 2014 have he even played 20 games between legue and championship? He's missed at least 2 full league campaigns i think and last year just didn't seem up to pace in some games. I know he's had injuries etc but he's not the only player to have had and i think their could be better options

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If you can get him fit and healthy James is miles ahead of everyone bar Clifford and Geaney.

The likes of Tomás Ó Sé, Killian Spillane, Conor Geaney etc are unlikely to ever be as good as him. With Paul Geaney struggling the last couple of seasons (is that something we're ready to mention yet by the way?) I think the idea of cutting loose someone like JOD is a bit cavalier. You only need to have him right for one or two games a year.

Who knows what impact training under new coaches will have on guys also. If we are dispensing with anyone who looked off the pace in some games last year we'll have to all bring our boots along tomorrow.

Sem and Pobalscoil both qualify for the Corn Uí Mhuirí final, but Rochestown pushed Corca Dhuibhne all the way, with one point between them at the final whistle.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If you can get him fit and healthy James is miles ahead of everyone bar Clifford and Geaney.

The likes of Tomás Ó Sé, Killian Spillane, Conor Geaney etc are unlikely to ever be as good as him. With Paul Geaney struggling the last couple of seasons (is that something we're ready to mention yet by the way?) I think the idea of cutting loose someone like JOD is a bit cavalier. You only need to have him right for one or two games a year.

Who knows what impact training under new coaches will have on guys also. If we are dispensing with anyone who looked off the pace in some games last year we'll have to all bring our boots along tomorrow.

If being the key word. Every year for the last 3/4 he gets injured before the start of the league. Is it just he's unlucky? Or someting else?

The big thing with him now is he doesn't seem to want to take fellas on. People will say thats over the shoulder injury, and that's more than likely true but it's not really much good to Kerry is it?

Shane Conway is the best hurler I have seen down here, I thought Shane Brick was class but Conway is ahead of Brick, I just think Conway's skill level is ahead of Brick's at his prime

He's a different class to anyone i've seen. Hopefully he can stay injury free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

cms88 wrote: »
    If being the key word. Every year for the last 3/4 he gets injured before the start of the league. Is it just he's unlucky? Or someting else?

The big thing with him now is he doesn't seem to want to take fellas on. People will say thats over the shoulder injury, and that's more than likely true but it's not really much good to Kerry is it?

It’s a pity isn’t it. When he has played in recent years he is a pale shadow of the 2013-14 version. Such a brilliant talent though, he reminds me of Michael Owen who could never really get going later in his career due to one injury after the next.

I suppose we are not stuck for inside forwards but a fit and in-form JOD would be some bonus going in to the summer, particularly if Geaney continues to struggle

cms88 wrote: »
    This year muct have been a record for Kerry players playing Fitzgibbon. Shane Conway with UCC, Jordon Conway with LIT, Jack Goluding is with UL, Brandon Barrett was playing with WIT. and Billy Lyons from Causeway on CIT panel.

And Bryan Murphy (Causeway) was playing centre back for Garda College in Fitzgibbon this year.

6 in total.

I think in the past a lot of the Kerry hurlers were tradesmen or farmers up in North Kerry.

I think we will see a lot more Kerry county hurlers on Fitzgibbon teams and panels with a higher percentage attending college and universities.

They can all hurl to a very fine standard.

They say Barry Mahony from Crotta is every bit as good as Conway but has been called into Kerry under 20 football panel.

conor05 wrote: »
    They say Barry Mahony from Crotta is every bit as good as Conway but has been called into Kerry under 20 football panel.

Barry O Mahony is a fine hurler but being a dual player in Kerry means very little now,he isnt allowed to play with his own club Crotta until the Kerry u20s are finished, which I think is wrong

Ive seen him at underage level dominating games,the minor final two years ago he was man of the match,I think Shane Conway is a head of him though as Conway is now performing at a higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Pissing down here in Cavan.

Going to be low scoring again I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

the audio quality of the commentary on Radio Kerry is absolutely brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

mystic86 wrote: »
    the audio quality of the commentary on Radio Kerry is absolutely brutal!

They just missed the first five mins of the second half and a Kerry
    score.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭xraylady

Brutal. Missed first 5 mins of second half and now their speech is so indistinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Good win away from home. Conor Cox doing well today too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Gritty win from the lads today in Cavan. 4 points down at Half Time and dominated. Cavan played all the football. We were far too defensive.

Second half we pushed up. Dara Moynihan and Tommy Walsh made a big difference.

Seán O'Shea was unbelievable today. Must have had 12+ points.

Great spirit in this team.

Gavin O'Brien looked very good and should start at Wing Forward or Midfield Vs Dublin.

Killian Spillane didn't have a great outing and struggled to make an impact on the game.

Paul Murphy was mighty once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Well done lads. Great craic with the Kerry fans as usual. Not a bad game to watch. Your lads must have got some bollicking at half time. Best of luck for the rest of the year

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Seán O'Shea was unbelievable today. Must have had 12+ points.

12, 3 from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Some great steals by Tom O Sullivan late in the game. Brain O Beaglaoch great too second half.
    Shane Ryan very commanding and great distance on kick outs.
    Nothing more to add on Sean O Sheas brilliance.

Jonathan Lyne and Adrian Spillane 0 for 2 for me.

Sherwood untested in 2 games really...
    Paul Geaney better on the 40 in current form?
    Paul Murphy is a fantastic footballer but isn’t commanding enough at center back to stop teams running direct as Cavan did in the first half.

Nice touch by Peter Keane to thank the supporters!

http://twitter.com/BarryDonal/status/1092104339429224448

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Nice touch by Peter Keane to thank the supporters!

http://twitter.com/BarryDonal/status/1092104339429224448

Fantastic

Advertisement