Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Forge83 wrote: »
    Walsh was fantastic today. He didn’t stop running off the ball which is hard for a big man. O Shea really turned it on in the second half. Graham O Sullivan looked very promising when he came on. O Beaglaoch lacks intensity in my opinion for senior inter county.
    P Crowley not the guy to turn to man mark the likes of McManus, got turned inside out in the first half.
    A few mistakes by Ryan today which could have cost us goals. I like him but was Fitzmaurice right? Does he need to play in goals more for his club to hone his skills?

Not sure about making Ryan play there for his club it’s more a case that he needs game time in goals at this level, he probably hasn’t played in goals since U21 two years ago before joining up with Kerry this year. If PK believes the ability is in him then we need to stick with him. It takes any keeper time to settle at this high level, remember Cluxtons early years?

Was very surprised to see Crowley on McManus there was only ever going to be one winner there but I don’t think we have a man marker good enough for him at the moment regardless.

O’Beaglaoich will come good yet, there is a reason he was the first minor to be brought through to senior level by Eamon. He is a tremendous footballer playing out of position in the corner, but I believe he can grow in to the role. Marc had a few similar shake displays early in his career but went on to become a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

That Seanie Shea sideline was right up there with Maurice Fitz in Thurles!

http://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1102259226292953088

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That Seanie Shea sideline was right up there with Maurice Fitz in Thurles!

http://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1102259226292953088

That lad is a special talent alongside your other gem David Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Not sure about making Ryan play there for his club it’s more a case that he needs game time in goals at this level, he probably hasn’t played in goals since U21 two years ago before joining up with Kerry this year. If PK believes the ability is in him then we need to stick with him. It takes any keeper time to settle at this high level, remember Cluxtons early years?

Was very surprised to see Crowley on McManus there was only ever going to be one winner there but I don’t think we have a man marker good enough for him at the moment regardless.

O’Beaglaoich will come good yet, there is a reason he was the first minor to be brought through to senior level by Eamon. He is a tremendous footballer playing out of position in the corner, but I believe he can grow in to the role. Marc had a few similar shake displays early in his career but went on to become a legend.

Who is the Kerry goal keeping coach this year actually? Would agree that he should be given the time to grow into the role but surely playing a club level would help with the fundamentals of catching high balls etc.

Surely against the likes of Monaghan with only 1 decent forward we should be double teaming McManus.

Have to disagree re O Beagloach, he may be a skilled footballer but lacks that bite that O Sullivan, Morley,Murphy,Crowley etc have. It’s something you either have or you don’t. Similar to Mikey Geaney, managers all see something in him but he just doesn’t have it at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Forge83 wrote: »
    Who is the Kerry goal keeping coach this year actually? Would agree that he should be given the time to grow into the role but surely playing a club level would help with the fundamentals of catching high balls etc.

Surely against the likes of Monaghan with only 1 decent forward we should be double teaming McManus.

Have to disagree re O Beagloach, he may be a skilled footballer but lacks that bite that O Sullivan, Morley,Murphy,Crowley etc have. It’s something you either have or you don’t. Similar to Mikey Geaney, managers all see something in him but he just doesn’t have it at this level.

Kealy is the goalkeepers coach. Would be no harm for Ryan to be playing club football in goals but the reality is that when you play with Kerry the amount of training and playing you do with your club is limited anyway. I don’t see it as a big issue. He needs time and experience, that’s all.

We’ll see with O’Beaglaoich. I have seen a lot of him over the years and he has been a standout player at every level. He was very good up until today as well.

Monaghan have a lot more than one decent forward btw they were a kick of a ball away from an All Ireland final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

WWWWWW-WWWWWW-WWWWWW-WWWWW

One win away from making it nice and symmetrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Quite a few marks won by Kerry players, Tommy Walsh most prominently but also Paul Murphy who is far from 6ft tall. It's a pity it will be gone after the League.

The mark around the middle which Murphy won will still be in effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

kerry37 wrote: »

Looking at that kick from the main angle, I was convinced he stepped over the line. But this camera angle shows the angle of his run a lot clearer and he doesn't.

Fantastic kick & a quality player.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Is Seán O’Shea available for the championship?
    I though I heard on RTE last night that he is not.

Glenman wrote: »
    Is Seán O’Shea available for the championship?
    I though I heard on RTE last night that he is not.

You heard wrong. Why wouldnt he be?

Hes unavailable for the under 21s until the senior team get knocked out of championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Hes unavailable for the under 21s until the senior team get knocked out of championship.

Its Under 20 competition and Seanie is overage for that anyway, born 1998. Clifford is still Under 20 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

PCD beat Sem in Corn Uí Mhuirí Final replay, 3-11 - 0-16.

Should backbone another good underage year.

BPKS wrote: »
    Its Under 20 competition and Seanie is overage for that anyway, born 1998. Clifford is still Under 20 this year.

In that case hes definitely available for the seniors so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Sorry I must have misunderstood. Things looking good in that case with James O'Donoughue and David Clifford still to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

Kerry play Westmeath in division 2 hurling final this Sunday at 2pm in Ennis.

Be good if they got a bit of support for it.

Winners go up to 1b for 2020 so a huge incentive to win this one.

Westmeath have won all their games so far in the league will be tough but I think if Kerry can play to their potential they can win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

I was hoping there would be more tickets going on sale for the Mayo match in ASP but doesn't seem to be happening, do ye think there would be any chance of getting in on the day at the gate or just pre-bought tickets only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

SexBobomb wrote: »
    I was hoping there would be more tickets going on sale for the Mayo match in ASP but doesn't seem to be happening, do ye think there would be any chance of getting in on the day at the gate or just pre-bought tickets only ?

Supervalu have tickets nearer the day on returned tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

From Discover on Google https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ex-dubs-star-murphy-writes-off-kerry-and-mayo-909234.html

Vinny Murphy matching Darran O'Sullivan's nonsense, about the rain, with his own nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

From Discover on Google https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/ex-dubs-star-murphy-writes-off-kerry-and-mayo-909234.html

Vinny Murphy matching Darran O'Sullivan's nonsense, about the rain, with his own nonsense.

God, that is some tripe. But it sums up the mentality that has crept into the Dublin bandwagoners. Recently, I was put in my place by a Dubs poster who instructed that we "should all give the Dublin GAA team more respect than we do"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

He probably has a point. Those comments about weather were clutching imo.

Broadly speaking, have absolutely zero time for him as a pundit, just a WUM and heavily biased. Sensationalism sells though.

Same As wrote: »
    He probably has a point. Those comments about weather were clutching imo.

Broadly speaking, have absolutely zero time for him as a pundit, just a WUM and heavily biased. Sensationalism sells though.

I don't think he really paints himself as a pundit tbf - he sees himself as a fan who happens to have a medal.

To me most of that article is right. Darran's comments about the rain - ok you see what he was getting at - but just total cringe. He's a bit harsh on Cillian O'C but has a point re:Mayo (Fionn McDonagh notwithstanding). I reckon Sheehan's comments were fairly correct around '11 but Vinnie says as much.

It's easy to understand why Dublin fans would see all the - totally justified - belly-aching as not giving this era's team its dues.

I mean I always have in my own head that there's an asterisk over them despite them being an incredible body of players.

If you can't admit that home advantage is an advantage or that floods of taxpayer money is an advantage or that refs living in your county are an advantage or that assigning dressing rooms and warming up ends in Croke Park by alphabetical order (in Irish) instead of a coin flip is an advantage then everyone who thinks all those things are an advantage definitely doesn't give them enough credit.

Pretty much treated that "article" as satire when I read this line

Murphy told Hill 16 Army’s Blue is the Colour podcast:

What's he supposed to say on a fan podcast? Hes obviously going to downplay their nearest rivals. Its to be expected and anyone taking it seriously needs a lie down.

As expected, looks like the hurling final is going to be nip-and-tuck for the duration.

Kerry lead 0-9 to 0-4 at HT - with wind advantage, so will be a tight finish.

We now lead 0-10 to 0-9 with 12 minutes left.

• Advertisement

Level now.

Advertisement