Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

seligehgit wrote: »
    Laochra Gael Colm Cooper 17.40.

Great programme, great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

After this weekend we might see and end to the calls for Mark Griffin at midfeild and bringing back Buckley as an option there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

cms88 wrote: »
    After this weekend we might see and end to the calls for Mark Griffin at midfeild and bringing back Buckley as an option there as well

He doesn't want to play for Kerry. He wasnt put off the panel, he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,241 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

kerry37 wrote: »
    He doesn't want to play for Kerry. He wasnt put off the panel, he left.

It's not so much that he does not want to play for Kerry it's that due to personal circumstances he cannot commit the time to play for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

cms88 wrote: »

Johnny is an excellent club midfielder, but was cleaned out today by Daithi Burke, more known for his hurling exploits. Short a yard, and has had his injury troubles too.

I think he'd be a bit of a backward step and we'd be better off trying to nurture someone else into that position.

• Advertisement

It's not so much that he does not want to play for Kerry it's that due to personal circumstances he cannot commit the time to play for Kerry.

Yeah the first part of my post came across badly tbf. 2nd part is the one that matters, he wasnt put off the panel. I suppose maybe "taking time out" would be a better way of putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The country boy's bate the townies today,

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Bar a heavy loss against Roscommon (and both Mayo and Galway winning next weekend) our spot in Croker in two weeks time is assured. Important we get the performance back on track though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Same As wrote: »
    Johnny is an excellent club midfielder, but was cleaned out today by Daithi Burke, more known for his hurling exploits. Short a yard, and has had his injury troubles too.

I think he'd be a bit of a backward step and we'd be better off trying to nurture someone else into that position.

In fairness Burke is a very fine footballer so I wouldn't be criticising any player too harshly especially given the fact that rest of the Crokes middle eight were so poor as well.

Even beyond his current personal circumstances and his injury bother, he's fierce busy with the family business which takes up a huge chunk of time so I think a return to Kerry was always a very remote possibility.

The fact it was mentioned says more about how unconvincing the rest of the midfield candidates have been, and especially the lack of depth in the position.

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »

He is always negative where Kerry football is concerned. Yes we all have concerns about our defence and midfield. Our problem over the last two years was our inability to bring young lads through. We played them in the league and then brought back older players who were not up to it.

I think he has an over analysis on defenders. If I was critical of anything I think Paul Murphy is needed more as a one on one defender rather than as center back. He has the speed football and strength to mark most opponents one on one. I think Donie Buckley will work an awful lot on the defence bit over the next 6-8 weeks.

I am more worried about Midfield rather than out defence. We need to get that platform right to win out later in the year. While a fit Barry and Moran are adequate we need a third player to fill in there. Gavin O'Brien may be a posibility. We also need a player to bring on there with twent minutes to go and I do not think Marc Griffin is the answer

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

He is always negative where Kerry football is concerned. Yes we all have concerns about our defence and midfield. Our problem over the last two years was our inability to bring young lads through. We played them in the league and then brought back older players who were not up to it.

I think he has an over analysis on defenders. If I was critical of anything I think Paul Murphy is needed more as a one on one defender rather than as center back. He has the speed football and strength to mark most opponents one on one. I think Donie Buckley will work an awful lot on the defence bit over the next 6-8 weeks.

I am more worried about Midfield rather than out defence. We need to get that platform right to win out later in the year. While a fit Barry and Moran are adequate we need a third player to fill in there. Gavin O'Brien may be a posibility. We also need a player to bring on there with twent minutes to go and I do not think Marc Griffin is the answer

Paul Murphy isnt a physically strong player. Gets bounced regularly by opposing players. He’s a great player but hard to work out where he’s most effective. When man marking he is not providing that massive engine he has for box to box play. When defending as a centre back he is not strong enough to hold that position and stop the opposition running down the middle. As a forward he doesn’t offer that scoring threat required.
    100% he is always in the starting 15 but what is his best use?

Forge83 wrote: »
    Paul Murphy isnt a physically strong player. Gets bounced regularly by opposing players. He’s a great player but hard to work out where he’s most effective. When man marking he is not providing that massive engine he has for box to box play. When defending as a centre back he is not strong enough to hold that position and stop the opposition running down the middle. As a forward he doesn’t offer that scoring threat required.
    100% he is always in the starting 15 but what is his best use?

I would scarfice the box to box we seem to have plenty of players able to get forward and seem to lack a few real man to man markers.

Slava Ukrainii

Clifford starts on Sunday. Even though I know Tommy Walsh is playing well, i can't help but feel its completely pointless having all this experience of using the mark effectively when it wont be employed for Championship.

Shane Ryan (Rathmore)
    Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    Jack Sherwood (Firies),
    Graham O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses),
    Gavin Crowley (Templenoe),
    Paul Murphy (Rathmore),
    Tom O’Sullivan (Dingle),
    Jack Barry (Na Gaeil),
    Diarmuid O’Connor (Na Gaeil),
    Dara Moynihan (Spa),
    Seanie O’Shea (Kenmare),
    Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare),
    Kevin McCarthy (Kilcummin),
    Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys),
    David Clifford (Fossa).

Subs: Brian Kelly (Legion), Shane Enright (Tarbert), Tadhg Morley (Templenoe), Jason Foley (Ballydonogue), Brian Ó Beaglaíoch (An Ghaeltacht), Mark Griffin (St Michael’s Foilmore), Gavin O’Brien (Kerins O’Rahillys), Conor Geaney (Dingle), James O’Donoghue (Legion), Jonathan Lyne (Legion), Killian Spillane (Templenoe).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Clifford starts on Sunday. Even though I know Tommy Walsh is playing well, i can't help but feel its completely pointless having all this experience of using the mark effectively when it wont be employed for Championship.

A full forward capable of catching the ball cleanly out of the sky is extremely potent whether you get a free for it or not.

keane2097 wrote: »
    A full forward capable of catching the ball cleanly out of the sky is extremely potent whether you get a free for it or not.

100% and I love Tommy so it wasnt a pop at your club man so keep the hair on. I just think that while its effective with the mark, it wont matter a jot in championship when he catches the ball and gets swarmed on landing and possession turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

100% and I love Tommy so it wasnt a pop at your club man so keep the hair on. I just think that while its effective with the mark, it wont matter a jot in championship when he catches the ball and gets swarmed on landing and possession turned over.

You say '100%' but then go on to say the exact opposite of what I said :confused:

keane2097 wrote: »
    A full forward capable of catching the ball cleanly out of the sky is extremely potent.

Agree with this, if they have runners off him and recycle the ball quickly, will be hard with possibly 2 players marking him.

I think you need to get the free for it to be totally effective which players wont get in championship. So I disagree with the 2nd part of your post.

Sorry for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

I’d rather Tommy without using the mark anyway. He’s not the most accurate in fairness. The last day instead of taking the kick he quickly played on and set up a great score. I know he’ll be swarmed but if he can start getting it away quick enough...

Shane Ryan (Rathmore)
    Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    Jack Sherwood (Firies),
    Graham O’Sullivan (Dromid Pearses),
    Gavin Crowley (Templenoe),
    Paul Murphy (Rathmore),
    Tom O’Sullivan (Dingle),
    Jack Barry (Na Gaeil),
    Diarmuid O’Connor (Na Gaeil),
    Dara Moynihan (Spa),
    Seanie O’Shea (Kenmare),
    Stephen O’Brien (Kenmare),
    Kevin McCarthy (Kilcummin),
    Tommy Walsh (Kerins O’Rahillys),
    David Clifford (Fossa).

Subs: Brian Kelly (Legion), Shane Enright (Tarbert), Tadhg Morley (Templenoe), Jason Foley (Ballydonogue), Brian Ó Beaglaíoch (An Ghaeltacht), Mark Griffin (St Michael’s Foilmore), Gavin O’Brien (Kerins O’Rahillys), Conor Geaney (Dingle), James O’Donoghue (Legion), Jonathan Lyne (Legion), Killian Spillane (Templenoe).

Looking forward to see how Graham O Sullivan goes. Will it be him or Crowley on Conor Cox I wonder? Cox will be out for a big game to try and prove a point.
    Was hoping Jason Foley would get a start also. Strange he’s never been given a game on the wing, he is Kerry’s quickest player.
    Ideal game for Clifford to make a come back. The Mayo game we always going to be too physical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

https://clubifyapp.com/public/articles/26209

Confirmation in the above link that Pat O'Shea has stepped down as Dr Crokes manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

few questions lads , would pat o'shea have been a better choice of manager then peter keane , and will keane be looking over his shoulder if things dont work out later on in the year , pat is probably one of the best coach's in the country to be fair what he has done with crokes in the kerry championship alone has been amazing over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

few questions lads , would pat o'shea have been a better choice of manager then peter keane , and will keane be looking over his shoulder if things dont work out later on in the year , pat is probably one of the best coach's in the country to be fair what he has done with crokes in the kerry championship alone has been amazing over the last few years

Pat would have been my first choice personally but I have no issue with Peter Keane getting the job.

I think people understand it is a new team and I doubt he will be under any pressure this year unless we tank big time which I don’t see happening. I believe Kerry will make the Super 8’s and will probably qualify for the semis. That would be good progress for me and anything after that is bonus territory.

It takes a couple of years to build up a championship winning team and we are at the beginning of that cycle. This league campaign has been hugely positive but we have a few big holes in the panel at midfield and at the back. I don’t think we are built to win just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

That would be some seriously poor governance and leadership by the county board were they to be so unsteady and unsupportive so early in Keane's reign, it's hardly a wet week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mystic86 wrote: »
    That would be some seriously poor governance and leadership by the county board were they to be so unsteady and unsupportive so early in Keane's reign, it's hardly a wet week.

would they not have offered him the job albeit still involved with crokes last autumn , the second part of the question asks more so about next year rather then this year , i highly doubt bar a disaster altogether that keane will be in charge next year , i doubt though the kerry board would like to see pat available to other counties though.... ie cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Rematch against Mayo confirmed - they beat Monaghan, and Tyrone defeated Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

would they not have offered him the job albeit still involved with crokes last autumn , the second part of the question asks more so about next year rather then this year , i highly doubt bar a disaster altogether that keane will be in charge next year , i doubt though the kerry board would like to see pat available to other counties though.... ie cork

Presume there's a typo error above and you mean that you highly doubt that Keane won't be in charge next year??? ie that you expect he will be in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

By all accounts pat didn’t want the job and no point dwelling on it now. If he wants to go off and manage Cork (and I haven’t heard anything to say he does) then off with him it would benefit Kerry enormously if they improve and started to push in Munster again.

On today, I couldn’t make it up but it sounded like a commanding performance on the radio. A rematch with mayo next week is a good outcome. Let’s see what has been learned by the players and management in the two weeks.

Listened on the radio. Seemed like Roscommon had no fight in them. Allowed our forwards too much space. Sounded like Kevin Mc picked up a bad injury.Hopefully he won’t be out for too long if so.
    O Brien,Walsh,O Shea and Clifford fantastic. Don’t know why Walsh was taken off so early.
    Solid games from Graham O Sullivan in the corner and Diarmuid O Connor in midfield.
    Paul Geaney and Moran hardly available for spots on the bench next week? Gavin White maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

acequion wrote: »
    Presume there's a typo error above and you mean that you highly doubt that Keane won't be in charge next year??? ie that you expect he will be in charge?

Ok. Am glad it wasn't just me.

Advertisement