Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Football and hurling double header next Sunday confirmed. Hurling at 2, football at 4. Should be 2 cracking games

https://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Team for Sunday - same as last week v Roscommon. Paul Geaney returns to the bench, though you'd wonder if naming 27 and 28 accounts for some possible last-minute doubts about Paul or others.

1 Shane Ryan Seán Ó Riain Rathmore
    2 Peter Crowley Peadar Ó Cruadhlaoich Laune Rangers
    3 Jack Sherwood Sean Ó Sherwood Firies
    4 Graham O'Sullivan Graeme Ó Súilleabháin Piarsaigh na Dromoda
    5 Gavin Crowley Gabhin Ó Crualaidh Templenoe
    6 Paul Murphy Pól Ó Murchú Rathmore
    7 Tom O'Sullivan Tomás Ó Súilleabháin Dingle
    8 Jack Barry Jeaic de Barra Na Gaeil
    9 Diarmuid O'Connor Diarmuid Ó Conchúir Na Gaeil
    10 Dara Moynihan Dara Ó Muineacháin Spa Killarney
    11 Sean O'Shea Seán Ó Sé Kenmare
    12 Stephen O'Brien Stiofán Ó Briain Kenmare
    13 David Clifford Dáithí Ó Clumháin Fossa
    14 Tommy Walsh Tomás Breathnach Kerins O'Rahillys
    15 Kevin McCarthy Caoimhín Mac Cárthaigh Kilcummin

SUBS -

16 Brian Kelly Brian Ó Ceallaigh Killarney Legion
    17 Shane Enright Sean Mac Ionrachtaigh Tarbert
    18 Tadhg Morley Tadhg Ó Muraile Templenoe
    19 Jason Foley Iasún Ó Foghlú Ballydonoghue
    20 Brian Ó Beaglaíoch Briain Ó Beaglaíoch An Ghaeltacht
    21 Mark Griffin Marc Ó Grifín St Michaels/Foilmore
    22 Gavin O'Brien Gabhin Ó Briain Kerins O'Rahillys
    23 Adrian Spillane Aidrian ó Spealáin Templenoe
    24 James O'Donoghue Séamus Ó Donnchú Killarney Legion
    25 Jonathan Lyne Ionatán Ó Leighin Killarney Legion
    26 Paul Geaney Pól Ó Geibheannaigh Dingle
    27 Killian Spillane Cillian Ó Spealáin Templenoe
    28 Conor Geaney Conchúir Ó Geibheannaigh Dingle

Captains Name: Paul Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone looking for a sports fix this morning, throw on BT Sport's 2. Mark O'Connor just kicked a goal for Geelong. Having a great game at half back. Looks a different player to last year.

In fact I believe that is his first ever goal in AFL football.

Really unsure as to what way today will go.

We've had a fantastic league campaign. Today will show where we really have been at and whether the Mayo game in Tralee was a blip or a true reflection of where these two teams are in the pecking order.

That night in Tralee, key players didn't get to the pitch of the game. Gavin O'Brien and Dara Moynihan (who were key players for us in the league) seemed heavy legged and were run into the ground by an exceptional Mayo back line.

Aidan O'Shea and Matthew Ruane were well on top of Jack Barry and Mark Griffin that night and when Adrian Spillane came on, he lost Ruane for the key goal.

Having said that we bounced back well against Roscommon, a game we won with ease. Early on we looked prone to the Roscommon runners in defence, but when the real pace went out of the game a quarter of the way through the game, we took over and controlled it to the finish. It was great to see David Clifford back, and today he gets an opportunity once again to shine in Croke Park. No doubt he'll be tightly marked but hopefully he throws of the shackles and puts on a show.

I feel the game will be won and lost in the Kerry half forward and Mayo half back lines. If Kerry can stifle the attacking influence of Durcan, Keegan, Vaughan and Higgins; while also putting them on the back foot on the other end of the field, it will go a long way towards a Kerry victory.

At the start of the week I felt Mayo would just have too much, considering what it would mean to them to win a National Title.
    But as can often be the case, the closer the game comes the more I lean towards the Kingdom.

The first 15 minutes will tell a lot.

Should be a mighty clash no matter what.
    Kerry by 3.

EDIT: Interesting to note the changes in our team from that Mayo clash.

Ryan for Kelly
    Sherwood for Morley
    O'Sullivan for O'Beaglaoich
    O'Connor for Griffin
    Clifford for Gavin O'Brien

Every one of these changes should arguably make us stronger. Will be interesting to see how it works out in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Really unsure as to what way today will go.

We've had a fantastic league campaign. Today will show where we really have been at and whether the Mayo game in Tralee was a blip or a true reflection of where these two teams are in the pecking order.

That night in Tralee, key players didn't get to the pitch of the game. Gavin O'Brien and Dara Moynihan (who were key players for us in the league) seemed heavy legged and were run into the ground by an exceptional Mayo back line.

Aidan O'Shea and Matthew Ruane were well on top of Jack Barry and Mark Griffin that night and when Adrian Spillane came on, he lost Ruane for the key goal.

Having said that we bounced back well against Roscommon, a game we won with ease. Early on we looked prone to the Roscommon runners in defence, but when the real pace went out of the game a quarter of the way through the game, we took over and controlled it to the finish. It was great to see David Clifford back, and today he gets an opportunity once again to shine in Croke Park. No doubt he'll be tightly marked but hopefully he throws of the shackles and puts on a show.

I feel the game will be won and lost in the Kerry half forward and Mayo half back lines. If Kerry can stifle the attacking influence of Durcan, Keegan, Vaughan and Higgins; while also putting them on the back foot on the other end of the field, it will go a long way towards a Kerry victory.

At the start of the week I felt Mayo would just have too much, considering what it would mean to them to win a National Title.
    But as can often be the case, the closer the game comes the more I lean towards the Kingdom.

The first 15 minutes will tell a lot.

Should be a mighty clash no matter what.
    Kerry by 3.

EDIT: Interesting to note the changes in our team from that Mayo clash.

Ryan for Kelly
    Sherwood for Morley
    O'Sullivan for O'Beaglaoich
    O'Connor for Griffin
    Clifford for Gavin O'Brien

Every one of these changes should arguably make us stronger. Will be interesting to see how it works out in practice.

If O Se can be held at midfield Kerry will win this game easy. If he can’t be held it could be a high scoring game going either way by a score or two.

Strong Kerry team. A small bit disappointed Gavin White wasn’t drafted into the squad. Tadgh Morley a small bit unlucky not to be getting a run out as I’d have him slightly ahead of Gavin Crowley. Not much between them though.
    Geaney and O Donoghue off the bench are great options to have.

Forge83 wrote:
    Strong Kerry team. A small bit disappointed Gavin White wasn’t drafted into the squad. Tadgh Morley a small bit unlucky not to be getting a run out as I’d have him slightly ahead of Gavin Crowley. Not much between them though. Geaney and O Donoghue off the bench are great options to have.

Gavin Crowley has been solid for 90% of his game time but makes errors leading to scores. I'd imagine some of these mistakes are down to lack of Intercounty gametime.

Worth giving him as much as we can in the league. His pace is the one thing that has him over Morley for me. The option to bring Morley on with his experience when the serious pace is gone from the game is vital.

The sooner Shane Murphy comes back the better. Ryan has been caught out a few times this year under the high ball. Not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

Gutted :( After doing so well all along.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Happy for Mayo, clear to see how much it means to their supporters. They were by far the better team today. Can’t be winning games like that losing 90% of balls contested in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

kerry37 wrote: »
    The sooner Shane Murphy comes back the better. Ryan has been caught out a few times this year under the high ball. Not good enough

Issues in midfield too.
    James O donoghue is no longer a goal scoring threat for us either.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

conor05 wrote: »
    Issues in midfield too.
    James O donoghue is no longer a goal scoring threat for us either.

Hes no longer a threat full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Was at the game. No complaints. Better team won. Few observations

- We were comfortably on top playing a deep defence. Went man to man in the second half and were slaughtered. I have no idea why.

-Mark Griffin was responsibile for 1 03. Considering he came on as a second half sub thats insane. Kept giving stupid turnovers. Running into contact and giving bad passes. He had never improved as a player and is not going to.

-James o donoghue was poor. Doesn't look to pass

-Shane Ryan was excellent. Brilliant under the High ball. Needs to be given the jersey for the championship. His long kick outs were straight to O Shea. Not hard to stay away from him.

-Tommy Walsh was excellent. As was Clifford. Barry solid in midfield when he was targeted.

Finally. The Kerry support was appaulingly bad. No more than 1,000 id say. Mayo easily 25,000 supporters. Made for a serious Mayo athmosphere and Kerry were denied some clear frees as a result when the crowd put the ref under pressure.

Harsh. His kick outs in the first half were excellent. Made a few fantastic saves.
    Yes he made a blunder for the goal and a couple of other mistakes. He is young and has the talent to improve to a level that far surpasses Murphy and Kelly.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Harsh. His kick outs in the first half were excellent. Made a few fantastic saves.
    Yes he made a blunder for the goal and a couple of other mistakes. He is young and has the talent to improve to a level that far surpasses Murphy and Kelly.

They were and they have been pretty good every game he has played tbf. He caught 3 good high balls in, under no pressure. One time a Mayo man gets near him and he doesn't get there, I think that's the 2nd time hes cost us a goal like that. He needs to absolutely clean man and ball if hes coming out like that. Wont be good enough come championship and imo Murphy is the better keeper.

Can anyone shed any light on the Aidan o Shea sending off. The push he actually got sent off for on Seanie O Shea looked soft enough, as in it looked like Seanie just ran into him more than anything. Looked like he threw a punch at Tommy earlier in the game but was far enough away from it. Any telly replays shown?

No complaints.

Better team won.

Crushed to be honest. Mayo made us look poor for a lot of the game with their superior pace and physicality. Their forwards took their chances better as well

To many poor decisions cost us. Subs have us nothing. Dara Moynihan seemed to be coming out for the second half with the rest of the players then started limping and returned to the dressing room so James came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

DDC1990 wrote: »
    No complaints.

Better team won.

Crushed to be honest. Mayo made us look poor for a lot of the game with their superior pace and physicality. Their forwards took their chances better as well

To many poor decisions cost us. Subs have us nothing. Dara Moynihan seemed to be coming out for the second half with the rest of the players then started limping and returned to the dressing room so James came on.

As a Donegal supporter I expected more of Kerry. Destroyed in around the middle third. Didn't seem to know what to do or change in the second half. They got in each others road when Kerry were coming out of defense. Lots of players hiding. Side line short on ideas?

Was at the game. No complaints. Better team won. Few observations

- We were comfortably on top playing a deep defence. Went man to man in the second half and were slaughtered. I have no idea why.

-Mark Griffin was responsibile for 1 03. Considering he came on as a second half sub thats insane. Kept giving stupid turnovers. Running into contact and giving bad passes. He had never improved as a player and is not going to.

-James o donoghue was poor. Doesn't look to pass

-Shane Ryan was excellent. Brilliant under the High ball. Needs to be given the jersey for the championship. His long kick outs were straight to O Shea. Not hard to stay away from him.

-Tommy Walsh was excellent. As was Clifford. Barry solid in midfield when he was targeted.

Finally. The Kerry support was appaulingly bad. No more than 1,000 id say. Mayo easily 25,000 supporters. Made for a serious Mayo athmosphere and Kerry were denied some clear frees as a result when the crowd put the ref under pressure.

You must have been watching a different game to me.
    Ryan was excellent first half. Poor second half.
    Agreed on Mark Griffin, not good enough at this level. Don’t think he offers anything come championship.
    Harsh on O Donoghue just back from injury. Made himself available for a lot of ball in a crowded Mayo defense. A bit of match sharpness May bring him on.
    Clifford was excellent when he got the ball, we just didn’t get the ball to him enough. I’m a Tommy Walsh fan but he was terrible today by the standards of his previous games,
    Jack Barry got absolutely taken to the cleaners by O Se in the second half.
    Ref was absolutely appalling. High tackles by Mayo players consistently. Off the ball dirty play by Durcan and Keegan was disgusting. I think I counted 4 clear pick ups off the ground by Mayo players which weren’t seen.

Moynihan limping off as he came out the tunnel at half time was a massive blow to the structure of the team. We lost the work rate immediately with O Donoghue as he’s not that type of player.
    Jack Sherwood going off seemed to collapse our defensive structure. I thought it was harsh on him being removed.
    Sean O Shea playing most of the game in defense, especially second half really hurt our attacking game.

Positives. Our defensive display in the first half was the best I’ve seen in years. Murphy,O Sullivan and Gavin Crowley were excellent all game.
    Ryan’s kick outs first half were top class.
    A lot of young talent getting big game experience.
    Clifford and O Brien are near unstobbale with ball in hand. We just need to get them the ball more.

Championship- Gavin White and Moran to come back in. Geaney, Foley and Clifford only just back from injury so another level to step upto.
    Murphy and Burns addition to the panel will also be a boost.

They were and they have been pretty good every game he has played tbf. He caught 3 good high balls in, under no pressure. One time a Mayo man gets near him and he doesn't get there, I think that's the 2nd time hes cost us a goal like that. He needs to absolutely clean man and ball if hes coming out like that. Wont be good enough come championship and imo Murphy is the better keeper.

Murphy May be marginally safer than him now as he has a lot more experience.But my point remains that Ryan has far more ability to go to another level of quality which Murphy hasn’t. For that reason persisting with Ryan benefits the county team more in the long run which is what Peter Keane is trying to build.

• Advertisement

Can anyone shed any light on the Aidan o Shea sending off. The push he actually got sent off for on Seanie O Shea looked soft enough, as in it looked like Seanie just ran into him more than anything. Looked like he threw a punch at Tommy earlier in the game but was far enough away from it. Any telly replays shown?

Wasn’t a punch. He shrugged him off with a hint of an elbow. Ref saw it and felt it was legal.

Murphy May be marginally safer than him now as he has a lot more experience.But my point remains that Ryan has far more ability to go to another level of quality which Murphy hasn’t. For that reason persisting with Ryan benefits the county team more in the long run which is what Peter Keane is trying to build.

Fair point and makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

conor05 wrote:
    Issues in midfield too. James O donoghue is no longer a goal scoring threat for us either.

As a mayo person I was delighted that they kept forcing him inside into his right foot as he only uses it to keep himself balanced and certainly not for kicking.

Mayo were very cute in the 2nd half. Fouled when they needed to, also selective pushing up on kickouts led to utter pandemonium.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Forge83 wrote:
    Wasn’t a punch. He shrugged him off with a hint of an elbow. Ref saw it and felt it was legal.

He'd given D O'Connor a free when he was pushed just before that so it was consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kerry still in a fair position due to Munster being what it is. Keegan destroyed o se

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

C__MC wrote:
    Kerry still in a fair position due to Munster being what it is. Keegan destroyed o se

When Keegan and Durcan started both attacking at the same time in the 2nd half Seanie spent most of it chasing shadows deep into your half.

C__MC wrote: »

Destroyed? They seemed to negate each other if anything.
    Keegan is the dirtiest player in the country. He is not a footballer. Constant off the ball dirty play. O Se will retire with a few senior All Ireland’s though and be remembered for his talent, Keegan will not.

Keegan is the dirtiest player in the country. He is not a footballer. Constant off the ball dirty play. O Se will retire with a few senior All Ireland’s though and be remembered for his talent, Keegan will not.
    So in other words as the poster said, he had him in his pocket. He is a half back, that has outscored a lot of full forwards in the country all while keeping some of the best forwards in the country quiet.

He is one of the best half backs in the country for several years.

Put the sour grapes away for a while. There isn't a team in the country that wouldn't want him. Or a team he wouldn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭C__MC

Childish response. Your guranteed nothing in life

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    Childish response. Your guranteed nothing in life

Yet you haven’t corrected me on Keegan being the dirtiest footballer in the country. O Se already has more All Irelands than Keegan.

Advertisement